ULTRA SM NU Sample Teams

hello NU frens :] wanted to post a team that i though was decent.

archeops.png klinklang.png steelix.png vaporeon.png venusaur.png delphox.gif

(Klinklang @ Steelium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Wild Charge

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Earth Power

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Protect
- Wish
- Ice Beam

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 126 Atk / 130 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam )

( So I decided to build the team around klinklang. toad and mow leaving just make Klinklang even better so i wanted to make a klinklang team. As for the klinklang set magnet rise can be used to set up on mons such as rhydon and steelix or toxic can be used to poison slowbro on the switch which is very annoying to this team. I chose wild charge to better deal with fat waters but sometimes i like to change it to toxic. the first teammate I chose was vaporeon as it covers klinklangs fire weakness as well as being able to freely switch in on common klinklang switch ins such as steelix and druddigon. Ice beam is to not give free switch ins to grass mons like venu and whimsicott however you can change it to toxic or heal bell if you prefer. spdef venusaur was added as a heliolisk check as well as a soft fighting type resist. steelix was next for rocks and a switch in to sneasel as my team was looking weak to it. Toxic on steelix to poison pesky mons like slowbro. next was scarf delphox for speed control and forms a fire water grass core with venusuar and vaporeon. last the team was looking weak to a bit weak to houndoom and grass knot delphox so i added archeops as a check as well as a defogger. earth power is nice because it can 2 hit ko steelix on the switch which hard walls klinklang. )

(the team is a bit weak to ice types wich forces me to keep delphox and klinklang healthy since there my only switch ins that dont get 2 hitkoed. slowbro is annoying because my main water switch in would be vaporeon and venusaur except vaporeon cant touch it and venusaur cant reliably switch into it because psychic stab. delphox can be annoying to face because it recks half my team and is hard to switch into grasss knot varients however acheops can safely revenge kill it. guzzlord can be problematic however changing grass knot into dazzling gleam can help the match up )

In conclusion i had a lot of fun with this team and think its solid. shoutout to carcy and quziel for helping me and giving suggestions to the team. shoutout to all the kool people in the nu room and ladder. thanks for reading :] : D

Dorian (Slowbro) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Toxic
- Psyshock

SPITFIRE! (Houndoom) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flame Charge
- Nasty Plot

Toxispam (Toxicroak) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Togedemaru @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Wish
- Zing Zap
- Super Fang

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard

Joshua (Whimsicott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Moonblast
Scarfcroak Balance
-----------------------

I wanted to try something a little different, something that had potential with the right support, so I chose to build around scarf croak.

I believe poison to be one of, if not the most spammable stab in the metagame. There are only three prominent steels and the Pokemon that resist poison you still win against the majority of the time anyway. Being gunk locked on a steel type can be pretty detrimental, so I built the team in a way that effectively deals with those steal types. Scarfcroak also has some issues in not being a very fast scarfer, being outsped by scarf Dodrio, Scyther, Rotom, Hitmonlee, Delphox, and Houndoom, and the team was given offensive and defensive switch ins for those Pokemon.

Houndoom: Provides a switch in to scarf Delphox and Houndoom + 1vs1 Rotom while also providing a breaker role, and the only Pokemon that could actually do both, any other Pokemon would have been one or the other or one or the other plus SSI. What I like most about doom here is that it sets up a flame charge/nasty plot on a lot of what switches into Toxicroak.

Whimsicott: The team was a little slow, and it helps with dealing with those faster mons when Toxicroak can't comfortably pivot or switch in. Also role compression, it provided that needed speed while also providing a needed defog for 2 SR weak Pokemon.

Piloswine: Because why not? It deals with every rocker (unless your opponent is running some dumb phys def lix) and is difficult for a lot of teams lacking a fighting type Pokemon to deal with without sacking a mon to sometimes deal even just half damage on the thing (It survives a Braviary superpower and OHKOS back, and nearly every special attack). Also provides some support versus flying types, which is greatly appreciated by Toxicroak. Runs 8 speed for a Guzzlord creep.

Togedemaru: An effective ice resist and electric resist for Slowbro that also isn't a complete deadweight for momentum with it's super fang that often hits fire types switching in and makes it easier to put things like Incineroar(which the team can really struggle with) in range of a kill by Houndoom or Whims. Most importantly it provides an excellent check to Klinklang whom can set up easily on a gunk locked Toxicroak, Pilo if magnet rise, or Whimsicott. There is Slowbro there, but with three easy set ups for Klinklang, I wasn't too comfortable with just Slowbro there.

Slowbro: Pretty self explanatory, Slowbro doing what Slowbro always does, providing a physical wall for fighting types and physicals in general bla bla bla you've heard it before

Toxicroak: Basically explained in the introduction, the only thing I'd add is that it throws people off a lot and can usually get at least 1 kill due to it being so unexpected.

This team is disgusting, and I love it. Thank you.

Sir Kay

Valor to me.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator
1517797636766.png
1517797649295.png
1517797740672.png
1517797749841.png
1517797759136.png
1517797767796.png

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Return
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Vikavolt-Totem @ Buginium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Roost

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Endeavor

This team has been undefeated for me in NUL so far and has seen a lot of success for the people I passed it to for the same tournament. Its my take on a very standard bulky offense team with a few cool meta calls.

Null acts as the backbone of the team as its just a blanket special wall that offers slow momentum for the rest of the team which helps get mons like Vikavolt and Emboar in.

Xatus pretty standard for these kinds of teams as its one of the best mons for hazard control. I opted to run a Night Shade + Defog on here just because I think its the best set for it because it allows you to play really safe with Xatu on rockers that can beat it like Pilo, and trade chip damage for rocks and then defog them away mid game.

Vikavolt-Totem was chosen because of a personal meta call I made. I noticed people just don't run bug resists anymore aside from Steelix or Steel-Vally, both of which Vikavolt shreds. Its also insanely bulky so it allows me to soft check a lot of mons in the tier such as Piloswine or Hariyama that kind of give this team issues.
(side note Totem takes less from Steelix's Heavy Slam so its just objectively better then regular in case people were wondering why I ran Totem).

Emboar's just a generic the late game cleaner for the team with Head Smash to break Altaria. Not a whole lot to explain for the mon.

Drudd works with Xatu to help control difficult mons like Emboar as you can predict and pivot around Super Power and Flare Blitz. Its also just really nice to be able to have a rocker that can set past Xatu.

Whims makes up the last member of the team and it runs a really cool set that needs a lot more exposure. Sub Endeavor Whims is really the best set for it in my opinion as you basically are allowed to 1 for 1 with any single pokemon in the tier, or late game if you've subbed down enough it allows you to fire off endeavors to nuke things like Steelix or Venusaur which normally wall this.

Last edited:

Holiano

at least i had fun, bye
is a Tiering Contributor

some weeks ago i was looking for something to build around, and then remembered there was an ORAS NU team that I really enjoyed and decided to revamp it a bit (heres the initial team for those who wonder https://pokepast.es/4426419656ea7911 ) after trying different variation i came up with this and did some good shit on ladder (hit top5 before starting to test others teams without much troubles) and as the team sounds pretty decent and easy to use i decided to share it for those who wants to start that wonderful tiers which is NU!

I kept alty lix because they check together a good amount of mons in general and compress so much utility in only 2 slots thx god alty finally got defog so i didn't have to bother about spikes this time, so i added colbur Slowbro which is my favorite item on slowbro atm allowing you to check z dark croak after a sd, houndoom, incineroar ect ect which were all painful for the initial defensive core. that core is destroyed by mismagius, cm delphox, and annoyed by xatu to some extent so decided to add a sneasel to abuse knock off/pursuit, sneasel allows the team to knock steelix once it comes which allows Altaria to beat it more comfortably and keep hazards off our field for sneasel/delphox/sturdy lix. Hariyama is doing Hariyama things: beating fire and ice type as well as pressuring a lot of commons defensive build after some chip, decided to go for stone edge as the team wants to keep rocks up for as long as possible so pressuring golbat on the switch is amazing. Last but not least, CM Delphox is key to the team to break defensive core to allows sneasel to pressure more easily mid/late game I initialy has wishfox instead but the team was way too passive and autolose to scrafty. almost forgot, but steelix's set has been choosen because the team needed a sub bu braviary and magnet rise klinklang check in one slot plus it allows to one v one grass knot Xatu without being too weakened at the end which is awesome.

In general the plan with the team will be to use Delphox in early/mid game if there is no sneasel to pressure the opposing defensive backbone to allows sneasel & hariyama to pressure as much as possible with strong moves/priorities

some weeks ago i was looking for something to build around, and then remembered there was an ORAS NU team that I really enjoyed and decided to revamp it a bit (heres the initial team for those who wonder https://pokepast.es/4426419656ea7911 ) after trying different variation i came up with this and did some good shit on ladder (hit top5 before starting to test others teams without much troubles) and as the team sounds pretty decent and easy to use i decided to share it for those who wants to start that wonderful tiers which is NU!

I kept alty lix because they check together a good amount of mons in general and compress so much utility in only 2 slots thx god alty finally got defog so i didn't have to bother about spikes this time, so i added colbur Slowbro which is my favorite item on slowbro atm allowing you to check z dark croak after a sd, houndoom, incineroar ect ect which were all painful for the initial defensive core. that core is destroyed by mismagius, cm delphox, and annoyed by xatu to some extent so decided to add a sneasel to abuse knock off/pursuit, sneasel allows the team to knock steelix once it comes which allows Altaria to beat it more comfortably and keep hazards off our field for sneasel/delphox/sturdy lix. Hariyama is doing Hariyama things: beating fire and ice type as well as pressuring a lot of commons defensive build after some chip, decided to go for stone edge as the team wants to keep rocks up for as long as possible so pressuring golbat on the switch is amazing. Last but not least, CM Delphox is key to the team to break defensive core to allows sneasel to pressure more easily mid/late game I initialy has wishfox instead but the team was way too passive and autolose to scrafty. almost forgot, but steelix's set has been choosen because the team needed a sub bu braviary and magnet rise klinklang check in one slot plus it allows to one v one grass knot Xatu without being too weakened at the end which is awesome.

In general the plan with the team will be to use Delphox in early/mid game if there is no sneasel to pressure the opposing defensive backbone to allows sneasel & hariyama to pressure as much as possible with strong moves/priorities
I generally like the team, especially because I enjoy the core (Lix/Altaria/Sneasel/Phox) a lot.
Main question: What is your plan against ResTalk Malamar? I found myself playing it twice without really having a plan; nothing KOs (a +-0 Inferno Overdrive does ~70%, Hariyamas CC fails to 2HKO after one Superpower boost) it and its coverage against the team is quite annoying.

I generally like the team, especially because I enjoy the core (Lix/Altaria/Sneasel/Phox) a lot.
Main question: What is your plan against ResTalk Malamar? I found myself playing it twice without really having a plan; nothing KOs (a +-0 Inferno Overdrive does ~70%, Hariyamas CC fails to 2HKO after one Superpower boost) it and its coverage against the team is quite annoying.
Malamars usage is quite Low as is but If you are worried enough, replacing Signal beam over psyshock on slowbro, Generally not worth it though (speaking from experience, i despise malamar) in that Case though be Sure to keeps steelixes sturdy intact im croak mus(If you so change it i would make lix adamant Nature with 252 spdef and Protect AS that makes it Take on whimsicott more reliably and hrlps with sturdy, and gives you a 75 percrnt Chance to ohko croak still)

-Davon

it's lit!!!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

cannot change (Sneasel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

hidden hills (Omastar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Knock Off

let it bang (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

ice it up (Xatu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 132 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

pop it (Combusken) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Low Kick

m&ms (Lanturn) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam

sup fam, cooked up a hot one for ya.

so i wanted to mess around with combusken since i believe it has a pretty valuable typing in the emboar-less metagame. we're seeing alot more usage of mons that benefit from the absence of emboar; specifically sneasel, incineroar, and houndoom. while combusken is far from an emboar substitute, it benefits from these metagame trends.

in my opinion, the best mon rn is sneasel. you can prepare for sneasel all you like but you can't avoid being pursuit trapped. combusken really benefits from the trap god sneasel. it can trap jellicent, delphox, and even forces the bros in some 50-50's, and when these are eliminated combusken can really shine late-game. sneasel and combusken have really great synergy, both offensively and defensively. combusken only takes 7% from incineroar's u-turn, so there's not too much loss.

venusaur is a really great mon, the lo set is the only one i've used so far. i chose defensive omastar because i wanted a reliable switch-in to incineroar and i didn't always want to be forced to throw combusken in. xatu is for hazard control and is a venusaur check, it outspeeds modest venusaur by 1 point. lanturn is my heliolisk check, omastar vs heliolisk matchups are no bueno without lanturn. lanturn's moveset is kinda flexible, you can try hp fire to hit heliolisk harder, but i like doing damage to druddigon if given the opportunity.

some replays from ladder:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nu-709808861
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nu-709805467

Last edited:
Another Klinklang Bulky Offense
Import: http://pokepast.es/d3bb14a21f9a1557
I've been just spamming this team to great effect and it simply just works. Is just a tad weak to Heliolisk.

Started with AV Hariyama and Guzzlord form a nice core as Guzzlord gets free switches on Slowbro, Druddigon, and Xatu all mons that Hariyama are annoyed by and in return Hariyama can switch into Vanilluxe and easily kill Type Null.

Guzzlord is heavily speedcreeped to outspeed unvinvested base 60s and it allows for it to fire off a strong Draco against an uninvested Scrafty because this team is a bit Scrafty-weak. Other than that fairly standard Guzzlord set that is excellent against the meta rn.

I like Stone Edge on Hariyama instead of the usual double priority as I use it as my main Vikavolt answer and I don't want it to be a sitting duck vs. Altaria either. If it also comes down to it, it can tank a +1 Hurricane from Vivillion and it's the only move that can OHKO Z-move Vivillion. Fake out is imo more useful than bullet punch usually as I feel this team is a bit weak to CM Delphox which Fake out quite annoys (although this makes the team a bit more weak to Froslass).

Slowbro is just a broken excellent pivot and I prefer Ice beam on this build because an opposing Guzzlord switches in for free otherwise as well as catching Altarias/Druddigons and I can already check Toxicroak/Venusaur well enough with my other mons. Colbur Berry cause duh and Sneasel is a lame. This also stops Sub BU Braviary from getting free setup.

Klinklang is Electrium Z Magnet Rise because a current meta trend seems to be relying on Slowbro or Lix alone on checking this beast and relying Incineroar as a backup check at full which isn't enough as the rest of the team answers Lix pretty well and Z-Wild charge kills both Incineroar and Slowbro after rocks. Rhydon and Piloswine are a little annoying for this team to switch into and punish, so Magnet Rise seems just like a perfect fit. Also lightly checks Z-celebrate growth Venusaur. Z Magnet Rise is also the goat

Palossand seemed as the most appropriate rocker for this team as I wanted something that can easily beat Steelix/Xatu as well as check Toxicroak who can easily come in on a Guzz choice lock or Hariyama. This can also emergency check Klinklang and Medicham. I like Colbur berry as the item the best as it allows me to more easily check knock off spamming fighting types as well check Incineroar better.

Scarf Venusaur is just an excellent scarfer all around as I didn't want to run something that was weak to rocks like Braviary/Delphox/Houndoom (nor did I want to shoehorn shitty hazard control) and I need a good grass check as well as something that can absorb T-spikes. It also surprise kills anything that doesn't expect it coming (Sneasel, Whimsicott, Rotom-N, Cincinno). The last slot Earthquake allows me to beat Togedemaru and hit weakened fire types like Delphox/Incineroar/Houndoom stronger than its other moves.

Last edited:
"Hazard Stack Trap"
Slowbro @ Psychium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Zangoose @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn
- Toxic

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 196 SpD / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

This teams revolves around hazard stacking in order to pull of a sweep with either Zangoose or Sneasel. Sneasel is more or less broken, as it can easily play around incineroar with hazards and knock off. Slowbro is also broken, as it scoffs at attempts to trap and doesn't care about knock off. Psychium Z is used to destroy any walls which get in the way of a CM sweep, as well as kill offense pokes that switch in after rocks. Xatu protects Sneasel from hazards, and Roselia stacks and walls threats such as vikivolt. Zangoose with belly drum is way too underrated it can pull of sweeps with little hassle.It doesn't even need hazards, all it needs is one free turn. Regirock sets rocks and blocks many annoying threats from wrecking the team.

Last edited:
Half of the samples right now have a banned pokemon in Venusaur on it still. If someone could shove a standard sand team to replace the sun offense sample I think that would be the best as threatening as a playstyle and how centralizing Sand is in the current metagame. As for the balance one I'll drop a balance of my own to get the ball rolling. Hopefully others post some newer teams in here too as I know mine is not perfect.

http://pokepast.es/1270e60d96892eed

I started off with a defensive regen core of Tangela and Slowking. Tangela is a great regen pivot that is a blanket physical wall most notably checking sand incredibly. The spread eats 2 Banded Stoutland returns after rocks or 2 returns after sand damage. Slowking is another great regen pivot that is a special wall with its incredible spdef paired with Assault Vest. This core while being hard to break defensively, also has offensive presence which is nice. Immediately when building with these 2 I knew I was gonna want some pokemon that don't mind taking a knock off. The 1st one that came to my mind was Diancie. Diancie is an incredible pokemon in general but it gave me a knock off switch in, rocks, a bird check, and a heal beller all in one. The sprea I realized I had no speed so I added the most splashable pokemon in the tier in my opinion in scarf Passimian. This is the primary revenge killer if I can't bulk the hits out. Next I realized I had no real breaker so I added SD Z Incineroar for that. U-turn from Passimian allows this monster to come in more which is nice for the team. Finally I realized I was hazard weak and still lacked a little bit of speed so I added a Rotom. Rotom is just another glue mone that gives this team another pivot into the regen mons or Incineroar as well as giving it another bird check, hazard removal, and a fighting normal and ground immunity.

Edit: So sand suspect is now a thing. Waiting to update till after the suspect is probably the obvious and right decision

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)