SM OU Ultra Sun Team 2018

Hi everyone!

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone here on Smogon! 2017 has been a great year but now we move on to 2018.

I have a team from Omega Ruby that was updated more and more with new Pokemon and new strategies put into the mix. Now an Ultra Sun team, I wonder if there are any more improvements to make to it so it can perform even better. You know what they say, there's always room for improvement.

Anyway, here's the team:

1514801042620.png

Kommo-o @ Lum Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 5 SpA
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Dance

We'll begin with the most underrated pseudo-legendary of the bunch, Kommo-o. In the original Pokemon Sun and Moon, it was outclassed by many Pokemon but now it was developed thanks to new moves such a Close Combat. A better move than Sky Uppercut as that move usually misses occasionally. I just hope Kommo-o gets more attention now it has access to elemental punching moves as well.

Role:

This Pokemon is one of the physical sweepers in the team as it needs speed to dominate. Back then, sweepers dominate when holding a Lum Berry and they still do to this day. The Pokemon gives the team more type variety against other Pokemon and that is important to prevent being. Sometimes you don't have to focus on the more popular Pokemon in the OU tier that often as the results are not what you're looking for. I like underdogs as they tend to surprise us with their hidden potential.

No sound moves will hit Kommo-o as Soundproof completely blocks them. Hyper Voice users such as Sylveon can't get past it if its the only attacking move it knows. I find Soundproof a better choice than Bulletproof since sound users are more common nowadays.

Kommo-O has a Jolly nature because it has a better chance of out-speeding other Pokemon after one Dragon Dance. Speed usually is important if the Pokemon wants to go for a clean sweep.

Close Combat and Dragon Claw are the main moves it must know with Poison Jab to take down Fairy-types. If set up correctly, it will win against Tapu Leles as long as its not Choice Scarfed.

Threats:
Things that Kommo-O must watch out for are Psychic, Flying and Fairy Pokemon such as Tapu Fini, Tapu Koko, Togekiss, Clefable, Talonflame, Mega Aerodactyl and Skarmory. They'll be able to take what is thrown at them.

1514801595060.png

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

YEEEAAH! Hippowdon is one of the best physical walls in the game so I have no idea why its underrated around here. It ain't gonna be easy taking down this sturdy Pokemon as it has the capability to play the long game and cripple Focus Sash users that are not immune to sandstorms such as Azelf and Greninja.

This team member is mostly a physical wall with some SpD EVs so it can take some special attacks. Hippowdon has more than enough defense otherwise. It can't take all the punishment from them though.

Role:

To build a team, you have to become prepared to take hits. Having a balanced team is the way to go to win. This Pokemon combined with Celesteela you will read later on make a perfect pair when it comes to defense. The plan is to wear down opponents with Stealth Rock and Sand Stream and when the time comes, the sweepers will deal the final blows to them. You know what they say, defense is the best offense. Going in recklessly can cost you the entire battle.

Earthquake is its main move as we all know. Stone Edge is there to take on those who are immune to Ground-type attacks such as Talonflame. Whirlwind can be an alternative option for it for it to stop opponents that set up but that is to be planned out. Stealth Rock puts opponents at a disadvantage and Slack Off for it to battle longer.

Threats:
The threats it will face are heavy special attacks such as Greninja, Starmie, Rotom Wash, Mega Blastoise and status affecting moves. Toxic and Will-o-Wisp wears down Hippowdon, making it more vulnerable to attacks. Plus, since it relies on Leftovers most of the time, Trick users can heavily cripple it. You can't have a wall holding a Choice item, wouldn't you?

1514802987461.png

Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Oh, Talonflame...Things have been rough for you since your Gale Wings Ability got nerfed. It is unfortunate for this to happen. However, this Pokemon can still battle now it has more Speed and access to Flynium-Z. If you thought Brave Bird is strong enough, just wait until you see Supersonic Skystrike after a Swords Dance. Even though it got nerfed, its NOT to be under estimated!

This team member was originally from Omega Ruby as it still has the EVs from the best moveset best suited for it. Some EVs given to its HP makes it take hits and still out-speed Pokemon with less than a base Speed of 363 such as Mega Metagross and Gengar so this is where Flare Blitz can come in handy.

Role:
This team can have a hard time with some fast and revenge sweepers without Talonflame as they pretty much run in, cause damage and bail out. Talonflame can fix that problem even when its Gale Wings ability was nerfed. Even without Gale Wings, the Speed increase benefits the users as a 'glass cannon' sort of user. Plus, this Pokemon gets the team prepared on taking down walls that pose a threat such as Ferrothorn. Although it does get the team too prepared on dealing with them.

Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are necessary for this user but I wonder if the power of Acrobatics increase after it used Flynium Z. That is to be address in the future. As its a second physical sweeper, Swords Dance must be learnt. After one Swords Dance, it'll soar and score! Finally, Roost is chosen since 88 EVs are put into its HP. Without them, Talonflame can't take many hits...

Threats:
Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock Stealth Rock Stealth Rock. Need I say more? Actually, yeah now that there are more threats it has to deal with. Pokemon such as Lycanroc, Greninja, Golem, Mega Manectric and Rotom Wash can swat this Pokemon out of the sky with super-effective moves. With all these threats roaming all over the place, it makes Talon Flame more of a glass cannon user which is a shame. I guess Trainers are getting more prepared for this Pokemon nowadays after it dominated X/Y/OR/AS with the Gale Wings ability before it got nerfed. The Pokemon that can wall this user is Heatran as it has the advantage over both Flare Blitz and Brave Bird. So it is better to take that Pokemon out so the coast is clear for Talonflame.

1514804076634.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Everybody remembers this Pokemon back in the good-old Kanto days as it was one of the best Pokemon thanks to its move set. It can still shine even to its day. This is basically an offensive Rapid Spin user since its holding Life Orb. This makes Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Psyshock very powerful. Plus, there has to be someone to get rid of opposing entry-hazards on the field so this Pokemon is a good choice for that problem.

Role:

We're seeing entry hazards a lot around here now so its important to have either a Rapid Spin/Defogger in the team so Talonflame doesn't take the plunge. Starmie was the only option in mind back then as it was not possible to get a legendary or a bulky user with Defog in previous generations. Glad that's been sorted now. The reason why Starmie is an offensive Rapid Spin user is because it needs to have enough special attack to OHKO certain Pokemon. Making a bulky version can cause opponents to survive and retaliate.. In some cases, Starmie sacrifices itself to get rid of entry hazards if things go dire so another sweeper shall take its place.. Its like Healing Wish except...different.

Hydro Pump is preferred over Scald as it can cause tremendous damage with Life Orb. The same applies to both Ice Beam for Grass, Dragon and Ground types and Psyshock for Fighting and Poison types. Psyshock is there so it can get through specially defensive Pokemon such as Blissey. Finally Rapid Spin...well you get the idea.

Threats:
Fast Choice Scarfed, Ghost, Grass, and Electric type Pokemon are the banes of Starmie as it is OHKO'd by whatever they've got in store. To be fair, Starmie is a best Pokemon but its not the fastest in the metagame. Also, Eviolite Chansey and Eviolite Porygon2 can still wall this user even when it has Psyshock. This frail Rapid Spinner must be protected by these threats at all costs.

1514804969086.png

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Behold, Skarmory 2.0! Considered to be one of the best defensive Pokemon ever with its immense defense and Leech Seed. Having Celesteela as a special wall makes it a brilliant choice for this team as it uses the combination of Hippowdon's physical defense. Its no slouch either when it comes to being a reliable Heavy Slam user. In both Singles and Double, Celesteela is a force to be reckoned with.

Although its a special wall, a small number of EVs are put into defense to resist some physical attacks that could OHKO it in one go. Still, a special wall is a special wall.

Role:

Before Celesteela there was Ferrothorn until it was possibly to catch multiple Celesteelas in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. So its been decided that this Pokemon is a better choice for extra special defense, resist against more types and win against wall stand-offs. To me, the Hippowdon + Celesteela works very well to weaken opponents before finishing them off. And if by any chances it faces the likes of Mega Manectric and Tapu Koko, the solution is to switch to Hippowdon. Both team members share an impenetrable wall that cannot be broken as long as they are still up and running. (Okay, I think that's exaggerating a little bit but you get the idea.)

Heavy Slam is its main move that can OHKO certain Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Florges and Diancie. Since its a Sassy nature, Flamethrower is there to win standoffs over other Steel-types, particularly Ferrothorn. Finally, Leech Seed and Protect with the combination of Leftovers make it go to distance by wearing down the enemy team to a degree.

Threats:
The main threat that takes down Celesteela is none other than Magnet Pull Magnezone. Magnezone traps it and takes it down with Thunderbolts and Volt Switches. So its recommended to make sure there is no Magnezone when battling competitively. Other Fire and Electric types have no problem taking down this Pokemon but that's why it checks with Protect so strategies are put into place. Celesteela also must be careful of those that carry the moves Trick, Encore and Taunt, They can cripple it down until it cannot wall anymore.

1514806178923.png

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Finally, we have the Pokemon the team is based around on. Mega Gardevoir, one of my favorites! I find the Pokemon to be beautiful Mega or not. I'm glad it has a Mega Evolution along with my top favorite, Gallade. With the introduction of Fairy-types and a Mega Evolution, Gardevoir is a fantastic Pokemon.

Role:
Remember what Karen said in the Johto Elite Four? "Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites". Well, its pretty much this Pokemon and its absolutely no slouch as a special sweeper. A team must have a special sweeper to take on physically defensive Pokemon and to me, Mega Gardevoir is a brilliant choice. This Pokemon pretty much plays late-game when the opposing team is weakened later on. That's why its EV trained as a full-blown attacker so it can deal heavy blows after a single Calm Mind. Sometimes its best to leave the best Pokemon in the team for last.

The ability Trace copies the opponent's Ability which is good for Pokemon with Lightning-Rod, Motor Drive, Water Absorb and Flash Fire. Doing this makes Gardevoir prepare itself with Calm Mind before Mega evolving to sweep. Very handy to catch opponents off-guard.

Thanks to Pixilate, Hyper Voice is Mega Gardevoir's main attack as it becomes a Fairy-type move. After a few Calm Minds, Pokemon that are not Soundproof or resistant are overflown by the impact of its voice. Psyshock is to take down special walls such as Chansey and Focus Blast in my opinion is the most preferred choice as it makes it get through the likes of Heatran. If it has Hidde Power Fire, Gardevoir will be walled by it completely.

Threats:

The Pokemon although tough, has trouble with Choice Scarf Pokemon or those with a higher Speed than it. Examples of these are Tapu Koko, Landorus Therian Forme, Mega Metagross and once again, Greninja. Speaking of Mega Metagross, Bullet Punch takes Gardevoir out in an instant. Even if it has Hidden Power Fire it cannot win against the likes of Lucario, Scizor, Mega Medicham and Metagross. This is why its important to construct a team that both covers its weakness and make the team synergy work.

Conclusion:

Never judge a Pokemon team by their looks as they can come with many surprises. So far even though it has a disadvantage against Electric-types, this team is strong but I know it can do even better with some necessary improvements. I hope you like the Pokemon team too as much as I do. Please let me know if there is anything in the team that must be changed either with different Pokemon or with different move sets.

Thank you very much for reading and happy battling!

Last edited:
This team is very detailed and I haven't had time to play test with it so my opinion isn't professional but at first glance I only see Starmie for Ice coverage and your only water move for the rock types that body Talonflame. Spinning is nice but I don't see any defog and having only 1 type of removal that can be blocked by a ghost type is less than ideal. Mega Gardevoir is cool but even as a mega its not incredibly fast and gets u-turned on a lot. Overall I really like your team a lot and I plan to playtest to see how it really works and to try and even disprove my earlier comments and or improve it how I see fit and come back to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)