Unban Percentage Threshold for Pokemon which started in Ubers

Approved by Hogg

Recently the Zamazenta-Crowned suspect test concluded in SS OU which was a big occasion since it was the first time since Kyurem-Black that a Pokemon which started in Ubers was tested down to OU. This suspect test used the 50%+1 unban threshold as this thread regarding changing the unban percentage of council bans was the closest thing to precedent. This came with a lot of confusion as Zamazenta-Crowned was not a council ban nor a retest of a quick ban and so technically didn't fall under the policy set by Hogg in this thread. The only other example, Kyurem Black's suspect test, was conducted all the way back in 2012 when tiering and suspect tests were handled relatively differently than they are today so any precedent set back then is shaky at best.

Now the purpose of the new policy around the 50%+1 on council bans was mostly to circumvent council manipulation as quick banning a mon and then retesting it only required 40% of voters to vote keep Ubers, where as a suspect test out of OU would require the normal 60% to ban. This would not be relevant for Pokemon which started in Ubers. It was also stated in the thread linked above that the 60% figure was an extension of the process of banning a suspected Pokemon, as changing the status quo by removing something from a metagame should require a supermajority. I believe that unbanning a Pokemon which has never been OU in the current generation would fall moreso in line with this description than the one provided for using a 50%+1 majority.

Having it be easier to ban a Pokemon from OU than to unban an Uber seems incorrect which is why my personal suggestion would be to require a 60% unban majority vote for Pokemon which started in Ubers. Pokemon which were previously OU, but banned by council vote, would still require the same 50% majority upon being retested. I know this has been a pretty hot topic of discussion with the Zamazenta-C test happening recently and while it isn't likely to be a situation that crops up often, hashing out a defined policy while it is somewhat relevant will be a great help should this situation ever come up again in the future.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Speaking on behalf of myself, not the OU Council

I agree fully with the sentiments of the OP and will bring this up in the OU Council chat once we finish our current topic of discussion!

The intention of the thread made earlier this generation was to avoid council manipulation of voting thresholds with retests of Pokemon previously in the metagame; it had nothing whatsoever to do with retests of novel Pokemon to the metagame.

The 60% figure has been a staple of our suspect process due to requiring a larger amount of support to flip the status quo, which has been effective for years now. I fully believe it should be applied here as well, especially given how serious it should be to introduce a Pokemon from Ubers to the OU metagame.

The OU Council used the 50%+1 figure last time after numerous discussions with tiering admins, but we also explicitly agreed that the precedent should be revisited in the aftermath of the test in order to make a proper decision on the matter as a whole. It is best to have a specific rule for this rather than piggybacking off of an entirely different thread's inapplicable logic or a decision from 8+ years ago on Kyurem-Black. Thank you for making this thread!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)