Announcement UnderUsed Majors VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
credits to Kink for the original op and Accel for the latest version.

1600277340098.png

banner by Bummer
Host: Estarossa

Welcome, Smogon, to the sixth iteration of UU Majors! This year we'll be following the same format of UU Majors V so rejoice, as many of you are already familiar with the way things will go down. UU Majors is an annual UU Circuit Tour where you can test your mettle against the top players in the community. Unlike most elimination tours, where your opponent is a matter of chance, UU Majors ensures that every participant plays a broad swath of the tier's player base as you fight your way to the top.

The tournament is divided into two stages - a round-robin qualifier and a single-elimination bracket. During Stage 1, players will be divided into pools, where they will play every other member of the pool in a best-of-one round robin. Pool leaders will be selected by the tournament hosts to ensure that each pool is fair. The number of pools will depend on the number of signups. More details will be included in the signup thread. At the end of Stage 1, each player will be ranked within his or her pool. The top 2 players of each pool will advance to Stage 2, where they will be entered into a Single Elimination bracket. The winner will be awarded UU Circuit Points to be entered into the UU Championships.

As a change from previous years, the pools stage will only be 2 weeks long not 3 weeks this year, due to complaints about the length in previous iterations.

I expect this tour to deliver many great matches between the top UU players in the community, and I'm sure there will be some surprises lying in wait with the atypical format. I'm sure you're all, like us, excited to see how this tournament pans out! Good luck to all the participants :)

Tour Rules will be announced in the Signup thread.

Signups can be found here! - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/underused-majors-vi-signups.3691110/

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks it was - where was the sheet?

But I think it won't match up evenly with the # of participants (we had 48 in stage 2 this year but the sheet has a system for 64).
You're correct. A 48-man bracket has the same number of rounds as a 32-man bracket, so the points system had to be changed accordingly. Normally we would just do that by chopping off the bottom row, but after some discussion in the UU Discord 20 points for making it out of pools is a bit too high (for instance, that's the same number of points as making Round 5 of UU Open, which requires you winning 4 Bo3s; to make it out of pools you can usually go 3-1 in Bo1s).

Adjusted the points distribution on the sheet to this (with Lilburr's approval):
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 2.00.53 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)