Project UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition v2 - Week 63: Reuniclus

Status
Not open for further replies.

:ss/glastrier: :ss/grimmsnarl::ss/azelf: :ss/azumarill: :ss/thundurus-therian::ss/kommo-o:

stupid horse (Glastrier) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 124 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower

handcrushedmallet (Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Light Clay the full name of the song didn't fit
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Spirit Break

745 sticky (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Knock Off

Gec 2 Ü (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

800db cloud (Thundurus-Therian) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

money machine (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Poison Jab

So Glastrier is a pretty interesting Pokémon. Its bulk is amazing, but its poor speed means that it takes hits often, and it's typing means that it's weak to a lot of common types. I was trying to think of a way that I could use Glastrier on a non-Trick Room team in a way that could work around its flaws. And then it hit me- dual screens. Glastrier's bulk becomes absolutely titanic under screens. Just to give a few examples, with the EV spread I chose, Victini's Blue Flare has a 0.4% chance to 2HKO Glastrier behind Light Screen, Scizor's unboosted Bullet Punch has a 14.5% chance to 3HKO Glastrier behind Reflect, and Zeraora's Close Combat is a guaranteed 4HKO to Glastrier behind Reflect. This gives Glastrier even more time to boost up with Swords Dance and then destroy all would-be checks with its solid coverage. Grimmsnarl is the quintessential dual screens mon; Alolan Ninetales would have actually worked here due to Glastrier being immune to Hail, but IMO considering how bad the Ice type is doubling up on it here would harm the team more than it helps. Next up is Azelf, who is great on these kinds of builds thanks to it being able to get up a super fast Stealth Rock and explode to build momentum. (BTW, shoutouts to BigFatMantis for converting me into an Azelf stan, it really deserves more credit than the viability rankings give it.) Azumarill has great synergy with Glastrier, covering three of the latter's weaknesses in Fire, Fighting, and Rock. It is also very dumb and stupid, and screens helps it be even more dumb and stupid. Thundurus-Therian is another great mon behind screens, and forms a great core with Glastrier and Azumarill, checking Steel types for both, Fighting types for the former, and Electric and Grass types for the latter. Finally we have Kommo-o, which should surprise absolutely nobody seeing as I am the number 1 Kommo-o stan. I went for the mixed wallbreaker set, but with a set-up based twist, giving it Autotomize to boost its otherwise lackluster Speed. I gave it Flamethrower over Close Combat because otherwise Jirachi just completely sits on this team. Kommo-o and Glastrier also synergize well with each other, as Glastrier deals with other dragons like Salamence for Kommo-o while Kommo-o literally covers all of Glastrier's weaknesses. I am really proud of this team. It supports Glastrier and maximizes its potential in a unique way (for a mon with a typing and stat spread like Glastrier).

I once again apologize for the song that I have chosen this week as well as the nicknames of my mons

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

:ss/glastrier: :ss/scizor: :ss/rotom-heat: :ss/slowbro-galar: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/zarude:

paper moon king (Glastrier) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop

speed king (Scizor) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

love love deluxe (Rotom-Heat) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 52 SpD / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Pain Split

soft & wet (Slowbro-Galar) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 40 SpA / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Slack Off

wonder of u (Kommo-o) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

vitamin c (Zarude) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Leaf Guard
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Jungle Healing

I wanted to build this team around SD Glastrier as the set, it seemed like a cool wallbreaker that can take advantage of its crazy bulk to force trades with things like Scizor for teammates and pressure typical Regen-cores. Speed investment lets it outspeed tangrowth, throat chop last gives it a way to kill slowking at +2 so it can't just fish for burns vs you while taking ~50% from crash. Close Combat at +2 with Ada nature OHKOs standard SD roost scizor spead.

CM Glowbro was the teammate i wanted to use here as something that would love Glastrier pressuring Scizor and stuff like Celesteela/Skarm for it. Also provides a really nice win condition and decent check to stuff like Terrakion and Zeraora here. Spread lives a Specs Shadow Ball from Chandy and OHKOs back with Scald after rocks after a calm mind, because like a lot of BO teams Specs Chandy just clicks vs this once Kommo-o gets worn down, so it's nice to have the option to trade with it and bring yourself back up later with Regen and keep your Kommo-o healthy for something else. Glowbro doesn't strugggle as much with hex sets remotely as they tend to run Toxic atm, which is really nice as these are the sets kommo-o has the most difficulty with.

SD Roost Scizor gives a solid check to stuff like Terrakion and Kyurem for the team. With Safety goggles, it provides a great switch in to amoonguss and can set up on it, noting that Glastrier doesn't necessarily always want to be setting up on Amoonguss early because foul play will do a lot and the opposing team will likely have checks to it, while providing another nice secondary win con that appreciates SD Glastrier pressuring stuff like Rotom formes, while can also cripple their shared checks like the rotoms with knock too.

Rotom-heat provides scizor check, pivot support alongside zarude, Defog support. Helps to somewhat pivot into Nidoqueen too, although loses the 1v1. Bulky Clanger gives secondary rak and sciz checks, rocks, and a chandy switch in. Scarf Zarude provides another offensive chandy check, speed control, offensive check to thraets like Terrak/Keldeo, and gets glastrier in on stuff like amoong/tang//mence to wallbreak.

Last edited:
pick actual mons next time
l2b :bloblul:

Congrats to Estarossa for winning this week.

:ss/mew:

This week I would like you to build around Mew. It has more or less every move in the game so there should be no shortage of experimentation that could be made this week. However, I am going to ban the use of the HO lead Mew because that is lazy as fuck. Other than that you can run whatever you want on it.

Deadline is Friday

:ss/mew: :ss/shuckle: :ss/bisharp: :ss/keldeo: :ss/salamence: :ss/rotom-heat:

Charles Darwin (Mew) @ Power Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast

J.B.S. Haldane (Shuckle) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Toxic

Stephen Gould (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Ronald Fisher (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Flip Turn

Thomas Huxley (Salamence) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Alfred Wallace (Rotom-Heat) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

Most of Mew's sets tend to be utility-based or defensive, so I wanted to try shaking things up a bit by making an offensive Mew set. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do, though, since Mew's movepool is so big. Then, while scrolling through Mew's movelist, I noticed that it got Meteor Beam, and the idea of Power Herb Meteor Beam Mew was too heat to pass up. Not only does Meteor Beam give Mew a free Special Attack boost, it also allows Mew to hit mons like Galarian Moltres and Victini (which wall Mew's other sets) super effectively. Psychic is the STAB move, Focus Blast hits Dark types, and Fire Blast hits Steel types that take neutral damage from Focus Blast, like Celesteela, Jirachi, and Scizor. However, Mew's Speed is still above average at best, so I wanted to try and find a way to fix that. That's when I came up with the idea to also make this a Sticky Web team. Shuckle is probably the best mon for this kind of HO because of the combination of Sturdy + Custap Berry allowing it to get up both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock guaranteed. Bisharp is also a necessary mon for Webs HO because of Defiant discouraging opponents from Defogging the Webs away. It also synergizes well with Mew; Bisharp takes care of Dark and Ghost types, while Mew deals with Fighting types. Next, I wanted a Water type to deal with Bisharp's weaknesses to Ground and Fire. Keldeo provides this while also forming a Psychic/Dark/Fighting core with Mew and Bisharp. Keldeo also has an above-average-at-best Speed tier that is fixed up by Webs. Salamence provides a switchin to Grass and Electric types for Keldeo and another switchin to Fighting and Ground types for Bisharp. I originally went for the 3 special attacks + Roost set, but that would have made Bisharp the only physical attacker on the team, so I changed it to Dragon Dance to help it capitalize on Webs even better. Finally, I added Rotom-Heat for the sole purpose of having this team not crumble against SubRoost Kyurem. It did give me an opportunity to create a more offensive Rotom set, though, with Nasty Plot, two powerful STABs, and a pivot move to bring other teammates out.

Last edited:

(Mew is fish today)

:ss/Mew: :ss/Ninetales-alola: :ss/Celesteela: :ss/Gyarados: :ss/Azumarill: :ss/Krookodile:

Mew @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Body Press
- Stored Power
- Rest

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry
- Encore

Celesteela @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Air Slash
- Autotomize
- Flamethrower

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Power Whip

Krookodile @ Chople Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 38 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

I made this team 200 years ago and it was used by lots of people for reqs since then (until the sample teams topic nuked it). It's a pretty basic and easy to use HO, with Demon Mew at the end to be pulled out and win games automatically once the few checks are gone. Most teams have 1 or 2 checks at most for CP Mew, and the Lariat checks usually die to a +1 Body Press. The rest of the team cleans up a good chunk of the tier.

Terrakion @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- U-turn

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 8 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Seeing Mew as the topic (s/o to Twilight for an actual mon this time), I decided to try out Scarf Mew. Decent Speed tier, access to Trick, and tons of options for moveslots, such as coverage, Spikes, Defog, the possibilities are endless. I originally paired Scarf Spikes Mew + Babiri SD Terrakion, to give Terrakion an out vs fatter stuff like Palossand due to Spikes+Trick. I still ended up using Spikes, but not on Mew. Next, I added Mamoswine to help pressure a lot of Terrakion's traditional answers, such as Nidoqueen, Doublade, or Slowking. Knock Off is also very nice for helping Spikes do something. Tangrowth and Tentacruel form the team's backbone, as well as hazard control, being able to check a plethora of UU threats, including Scizor, Terrakion, etc. Skarmory ends off the team with a Ground immunity, a Spikes setter (ended up changing Mew to Fire Blast cuz fuck Scizor), as well as a way to punish U-turn users (such as Scizor) as well as helping the matchup vs Tapu Bulu. This team is hella weak to Victini, but as long as you don't give it an opportunity to come in (i.e. Doubling in on it if you have Skarm in), you should only lose like 2-3 mons. Fuckin tini

So apparently it's now a thing to put song before a team?

:mew: :rhyperior: :amoonguss: :scizor: :salamence: :rotom-wash:
click the sprites for importable
I've already messed up a bit with mew, and out of all the sets I've tried only three seemed viable : lead, cosmic power cheese and spd. Altho spd is imo the less reliable, I didn't want to just bring the cosmic power every one's seen a thousand times on ladder so I ended up going for spd, which works as a sorta decent check to Salamence, Nidoqueen and a fair bit of slower breakers.

The Spread allows to outspeed Chandelier & Mamoswine, with night shade > stoss allowing to hit the former. Rhyp helps mew in checking the likes of Salamence and non special Victini, brings rocks and some breaking potential. Amoonguss completes the core by checking, waters and fightings mew usually can't handle. The three are quite complementary, seeing how they have way to hinder most offensive mons for one teammate. Scizor is the mandatory steel type, bringing a Kyu answer, knock off utility, priority and is overall a very solid win condition. It also greatly appreciates the fact that the base core takes care of mence/zera and tini quite reliably and the chip provided by wisp/toss ect. Mence does mence things, throwing off hurricanes, removing hazards and checking zor/krook.
At that point I still had quite a few things to patch up and scarf rotom wash brings a ton of utility through solid speed control and being able to cripple a bulky setup w/ trick. 200 SpA allows to always ohko terrakion, and I don't feel like you need the little extra odds on Victini with this team, it's not worth trying to hit & get the roll most of the times since the team does a decent job at checking it.

:ss/indeedee: :ss/skarmory: :ss/cloyster: :ss/polteageist-antique: :ss/mew: :ss/Bisharp:

Morya (Skarmory) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Body Press

Deedee (Indeedee) (M) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Spire'Oh (Cloyster) (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Liquidation

Polté (Polteageist-Antique) @ White Herb
Ability: Weak Armor
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stored Power
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain

Meow (Mew) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Expanding Force
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Sharpy (Bisharp) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

So here I'm playing a special-focused super offensive Mew, with a decent 100 base speed (hitting 328 with the timid nature) he almost exceeds the majority of his checks like Bisharp, Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Moltres-Galar, ... And hey Mew is associated with with Indeedeee, which summons the Psychic terrain which ( increases the power of Psychic-type attacks by ground Pokémon by 1.5 and ground Pokémon can't be hit by priority attacks). So Indeende, Mew, and Polteageist cannot be affected by priorities.
And you will ask me why I put Sucker Punch on Bisiharp? The reason is that the Psy field does not prevent priorities on the Flying types (whether on Thundurus-Therian, Gyarados, Salamence, ...) which cannot attempt Sucker God duels with Bisharp.
Ice beam to effectively hit the Ground types, Aura sphere for the Dark types, and Expanding Force to have a solid STAB against poison types.

Finally, this team is based on Psychic-spam where we find all the classic armada of pokémons taking advantage of the psychic field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)