Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'sei. wins this week with an interesting build! While it has some obvious flaws, such as the now uncommon SD Scizor beating it pretty handily, the team has been working out well for him. I'm not entirely sure what the two different Grass STABs accomplish, but Mega Abomasnow is an intriguing choice nonetheless and I am glad to have some creative builders around. Big shoutouts to the voters who could see the great things in this team despite its flaws as well. Congratulations again to Sei, and now on to week 25:

Anyway, next up we've got Doublade. An overall solid offensive pivot and sweeper with the ability to stop any Scizor lacking Knock Off in its tracks, as well as tanking a ridiculous amount of physical attackers thanks to its insane Eviolite-boosted Defense. The general lack of good Ghost resists in UU mean that +2 Shadow Sneak can sting some unprepared offenses. Submissions due sometime Saturday!

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
1516747776211.png
1516748058630.png
1516748110457.png
1516748128688.png
1516748395775.png
1516748431709.png

https://pastebin.com/i5taDLXD

Building Process
This was a draft I built around Agility Moltres and Swords Dance Doublade that I considered using for SPL week 3. The rise of Rotom-W, the most common counter to both, benefited both of them tremendously, making the two a cool core to build around. I immediately realized that even though Moltres checks some common threats in theory, it cannot 100% be relied on to do so given its weakness to rocks and role as the main cleaner of the team. Doublade helps to further cover threats like Scizor, Cobalion, and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, as well as taking on Moltres's most formidable offensive checks in Mega Aerodactyl and Nihilego. Next, Choice Band Azumarill seemed like the natural fit, as it appreciated Moltres's ability to scorch Grass-types and nuke physical walls with SSSS, while also providing the wallbreaker necessary for one of the first two members to potentially clean late-game, destroying special walls for Moltres and weakening bulky Water-types for Doublade. Scarf Hydreigon synergized well with the first three (as well as this entire meta), shoring up their sub-par Speed, adding key resistances, and providing free switch-ins for Azumarill and Moltres to come in and nuke shit. I still needed rocks at this point, some additional Speed, and a better check to the birds that would surely pick up popularity again with Rotom-W's departure. Bop rocks Nihilego. Reliable hazard removal is 200% necessary with a team based around Moltres and I still lacked a Ground-type, making Gliscor my last pick. It also gave a nice specially defensive pivot which can get Hydreigon and Azumarill in favorable positions to either break down the opposing team or halt offensive threats.

Random Details
Due to rocks having more PP than Defog, my Gliscor can't keep hazards off against opposing rocks Gliscor, making Pressure the preferred ability on Moltres since you can hard switch in on the rocks and burn 2 PP at a time. Gyro Ball Doublade really helps out the somewhat shaky Gliscor matchup by doing huge damage at +2. Ice Punch chunks the shit out of Amoonguss which can potentially help Doublade or itself in doing their jobs later on. If possible, I wanted a secondary way of clearing hazards for Moltres, even if it was only meant to be used in a pinch. I didn't see much of a reason to run Fire Blast given that the rest of the team covers its common targets well, so Defog seemed like a solid 4th moveslot on Hydreigon. I honestly hate Life Orb Nihilego since you get chipped to hell and I already had a Z move user, so I opted for Toxic Plate. Grass Knot can lure bulky Water-types for the first few members while Thunderbolt lets Nihilego beat goons like Tentacruel one-on-one. Gliscor is SpDef as hell since I wanted a pivot to Latias and shit, and I already had Cobalion really well-covered.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Latias @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 200 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

I've never been the greatest at playing doublade well, but this team allows me to get the most out of using this mon. The set is fairly standard I think. I am a fan of gyro ball over iron head because in my experience, doublade can't hit most slow things that come into it such as bulky waters with steel moves anyways so gyro ball is nice to take out super fast things that switch in better like infernape or mega manectric. This latias is super nice on this team because it removes bulky waters that can normally stall latias out. It is can also handle nidoking and queen which can give this team a bit of trouble. Scarf infernape is here as a great fast pivot to get things like Mega Blastoise in safely. Stone edge is there for mega aerodactyl which will otherwise can run through this team. Gliscor provides a nice defensive presence, sets up rocks, and can provide toxic which will wear things down for doublade. It can also switch into status. I firmly believe that Mega Blastoise is underrated in this meta after using it. Its special attacking power plus mega launcher can hit anything neutral extremely hard. I helps take care of fire and ground types that can get in the way, but provided that it comes in safely, almost anything except for hard special walls like blissey and goodra are taking a large chunk of damage. Finally, Amoongus is nice for switching into physical attackers. Spore is nice for taking a mon out of play, and clear smog can stop things like serperior or calm mind suicune in their tracks.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I have to go Pak here. Really solid team using Doublade which is super good in this meta. Agility Moltres is a really cool set as well as the Toxic Plate Nihilego which synergizes very well with the teams core.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Alright, Pak is our winner this week!

As we usually do with tier changes, our next week is going to be based around the fresh drop Mega Houndoom! Mega Houndoom carves its niche in the tier as a fast Nasty Plot user for offensive teams with a good movepool and a nice offensive typing. It may not have Drought support to boost it up anymore, but it still definitely holds its niche well enough.

Submissions are due Saturday, and buzzwole and breloom are allowed for this week. Good luck!

Last edited:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 236 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab

Houndoom Mega with his high special Attack and Speed and basically one of the best Sweepers in the Tier I put Nasty Plot in order to make Houndoom more threatening Fire Blast and Dark Pulse are his mandatory Stabs I really had thought of going with Flame Charge to be able to give outspeed in almost everything on the Tier, but I left Sludge Bomb due to the presence of fairy types, Azumarill chose to use the Perish Trapper set due to its efficiency as a physical wall along with Rest in order to avoid Status Conditions and maintain Poke longevity; with the Scarf Set to overcome most of the Metagame Cobalion Steelium Z for the most possible damage in Gliscor Amoonguss and the like Magnet Rise was chosen to avoid weakness Ground Gliscor in the team and a good option due to its versatility and finally Muk Alolan to prevent Latias and other psychic pokémons.

Last edited:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 236 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab
Hey, I dont think thats a description.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

Breloom @ Ganlon Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Mirror Coat

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Defog
So starting with Mega Houndoom I immediately thought Breloom would be a great partner for this mon because of the type synergy, it's ability to take out things that switch into Fire Blast, etc. Also I thought Bullet Seed Breloom would be cool for dealing with Sub variants of Suicune :D. So I added Togekiss/Doublade as checks to Lati... but most importantly Buffbug and Loom, these two can usually keep those mons in check fairly well, and also Togekiss helps my stall mu a lot despite already having a Breloom. So now I have a Swampert here which basically is there for Mega Manectric, rocks, a physical wall, etc. The Mirror Coat tech can help a lot for special attackers that think they hot shit when in reality they done fucked up. Now we got the boy Scarf Lati which is basically here for a number of reasons, speed control, the resistances, hazard removal, and Healing Wish support which I thought would help a lot on this squad n_n.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

cake needed teams and on short notice this is what i cooked up. here's a standard balance team, according to cake, however i think its bulky offense, im prob wrong, but potato tomato. its built around double dance mega houndoom. tapper azu is there for buzzwole who is a nuisance in this meta and breloom who destroys mega houndoom with mach punch. it traps these mons and opens holes for the houndoom sweep. hippo is there for rocks and is spdef specifically for mega manectric. crobat is also really good in this meta vs breloom and buzzwole as well as providing hazard control. sub seed serp is there for a good stall match up and scizor is to revenge kill fast pokemon like latias and mega dactyl while also being really strong and providing momentum. thats basically it, solid team fun to use.

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
houndoom-mega.gif
serperior.gif
metagross.gif
Sylveon.gif
buzzwole.gif
seismitoad.gif

MF DOOM (Houndoom-Mega) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flame Charge

Jean Grae (Serperior) @ Rose Incense
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Pharoahe Monch (Metagross) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit

Lil Kim (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Krizz Kaliko (Buzzwole) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Royce Da 5'9" (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Refresh
My good friend Cake needed teams, so here I am :3

Mega Houndoom is pretty dope, Flame Charge is severely under utilized and stops basically every common scarfer from revenging it. Imagine if there was a pokemon that could help break special walls for Doom, remove hazards for it, and eat all the Scalds aimed at it! Serp is here to help, with another underutilized set in Giga Drain, helping to deal with those pesky Vincunes, giving Serp some sustain to remove hazards, and saving PP on Leaf Storm if you need it. Keeping with our theme of cool sets that don't get much usage, Shuca Berry Metagross is a fantastic utility check to a whole bunch of shit this team doesn't like. Maero, Basically all the birds bar Moltres, Latias, etc. Pursuit is nice to get chip damage on a lot of the mons Meta has to check. Next I thought Sylveon would be a good fit for a Dragon Immunity and Wish passer for Metagross (and to a lesser extend Serp). Cleric support helps not getting worn down. Looking at the team, Mamoswine and Altaria jumped out as things that could be a pain (Metagross can die to Fire Blast), so I'm using a cool Buzzwole set to Lure Altaria and check Mamo. The EV spread creeps base 60 timids, you Bulk Up, and Acid Downpour kills Defensive Mega Altaria and Sylveon, Primarina and Azu are killed unboosted. Drain Punch for STAB and Ice Punch can hit Gliscor and Crobat on the switch. Finally, I needed a rocker, and a water type. I originally settled with Swampert, but I dare you to go out with this team, fight a Volcanion, and get a switch in. Seismitoad usually sucks, but the Water immunity is incredibly helpful for this team, giving it the spot over Swampert.

TLDR, Serp/Doom break for each other, Flame Charge can dick offense over, Buzz lures key threats like Altaria, Primarina, Azumarill, Metagross / Seis / Sylv form an annoyingly bulky core without being completely passive.

houndoom-mega.gif
Azumarill_XY.gif
amoonguss.gif
tentacruel.gif
cobalion.gif
latias.gif

The Doomer and his cohorts are rising....you feel an eerie chill down your spine...

Dramatic things aside, this is a team I made centered around NP Mega Doom, a very underrated threat. With 140 Special Attack and 115 speed, it can easily sweep after all its checks/counters are gone.

Mega Houndoom is the star of the show, 2HKO or 3HKOing most of the tier with ease after 1 Nasty Plot. Azumarill is used to get rid of things Houndoom normally would not be able to break such as Blissey with its Whirlpool and Perish Song. Amoonguss not only makes a Fire Grass Water core, but also puts things to sleep so that Houndoom can get a Nasty Plot up or force a switch. Tentacruel is our choice of hazard control, and also takes up a Z-Move slot with Haze, allowing it to keep healthy. It also provides Toxic Spikes support for Doomer. Cobalion is our Stealth Rock setter and also our secondary sweeper, breaking Blissey with ease and can also attempt a late game sweep with Swords Dance. Latias is our last member serving as a secondary Volcanion counter. The full RMT will be out soon.

Have tournament replays!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-699051932
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-699089118
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-699093837

The team:

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Tentacruel @ Icium Z
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 8 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

Last edited:
<sprites>
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Roost
- U-turn

Just a hazard Offense team I thought up of for the thread, because why not. Hippowdon is nice check to Mega Aero; I gave it a lot of Physical EVs to tank Aqua Tail better; it's a cool rocker in this meta that has a nice way to faze big threats that think they can set up on it. Mega Houndoom with Nasty Plot because it's a cool breaker. Breloom is a good partner that takes care of water types; spore is a nice and so is sd, also it's neat to have a priority user on the team. Klefki is the spiker; I put 32 EVs on SpAtk to ensure the 100% knockout on Hydreigon and dazzling gleam is used over play rough because Buzzwole. Starmie is for Emergency Spinning; Analtytic boosted moves are great; it's also good for pressuring rockers. Crobat is for Buzzwole, momentum with U-Turn & Tailwind, and Z Brave Bird is a great nuke for underprepared teams. With a tailwind up: Breloom, Mega Houndoom, and Starmie become pretty annoying for frailer teams, as well as, weakened teams (especially with hazards up).

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/hippowdon.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/mega houndoom.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/breloom.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/klefki.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/starmie.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/crobat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)