Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Votes are in, congrats to retrowaves for prevailing over the seemingly popular Choice this week!

Keeping up with the trend of using our new mons, both out of experimental curiosity and infinite laziness, Gengar's gonna slide into this week. A potent offensive typing combined with high Special Attack and Speed and a vast movepool full of utility and coverage options make Gengar a versatile choice for many offensive teams. Unless of course, it encounters one of three 'mons in the current top 10 usage, in which case it will inexplicably fold to a single Pursuit. Submissions due Saturday!

Side note: I plan on being a bit more harsh on teams we accept from now on. Feel free to continue to post heat and whatnot, but please make it at least functional (cough cough Scizor checks cough Ground resists cough) since I had the people potentially coming here to use the teams in mind. Thank you!

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well guess I'll open things up. I have some experience with Gengar thanks to Next Best Thing and this team works around my personal favorite set, Sash Counter. Shout-out to YABO

gengar.gif
blastoise-mega.gif
hydreigon.gif
heracross-f.gif
Mamoswine.gif
Klefki.gif

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Counter

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Defog

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

Description: Sash Counter Gar + Mega Blasty was what I wanted to build around. They work well together, Gengar lures a lot of threats, Blastoise forces switches and gets Spins off thanks to its high SpA and good coverage. I like Sludge Bomb on Gengar to hit Fairies super effectively, but Destiny Bond is an option in that slot as well after your sash has been used to potentially score two kills. The speed EVs on Blastoise creep max speed base 70s, max SpA, rest in HP. Initially I chose Latias to support them as a Scarf user, but later switched to Hydreigon as it significantly improved the matchup vs Mega Houndoom. Also performs as a secondary hazard remover in case Blastoise dies early. Heracross makes the Stall Matchup not an auto loss. Gengar can lure the physical attackers such as Crobat, Gliscor, and Quagsire, opening a whole for Heracross to sweep. Mamoswine was chosen as a not passive Stealth Rock user, Mega Mane check / Electric Resist, and strong priority user. Finally, Klefki gives me Spikes, great type synergy with Fairy and Steel, and Magnet Rise heavily improves matchup versus Krookodile and Mamoswine. I find Specially Defensive EVs more worthwhile on Magnet Rise keys as it uses the ground immunity to deal with the physical threats it needs to. Scizor is obviously a threat, but Blastoise has a chance to ohko offensive sets with Rocks, as well as Gengar luring and checkmating it with the combination of HP Fire and Counter.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 88 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Serperior @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
Hi, I made this team a little while back and I built around Sub Disable Gengar cuz the set just sounded like fun so wynaut. I used Scizor as a bulky pivot that could reliably switch into Lati, and I followed this w/ Serperior... Serperior is good here as a breaker w/ Normalium Z and a form of hazard removal. I also liked Serperior here because of the support the rest of the team gives for Muk, Lati, and other common checks that stop serp in it's tracks. In this slot im ngl I think Togekiss could work way better here and I would be able to fit a mega elsewhere considering how weak this team's m/u to stall is... but I've used Toge in the last like 9 teams so I'm kinda tired of it lmao. I have a bulky support-ish Malt w/ Heal Bell for a fairy/dragon typing which is appreciated, another Lati check, Heal Bell support, etc. Here comes the lad Swampert here to give me a fire resist, rocker, and Staka/Mmane answer. Now Infernape comes in as another Scizor check and speed control n shit w/ a pivot move to synergize w/ Scizor :].

Specs Gengar BO

The Team

I decided to go for this set because you can't just not look at it's 130 base SpA (being the 2nd highest non mega) and it's great base Spe. Gengar is a fun mon to build around, since most of it's checks are very common mons in the meta (Blissey, Krook, AMuk, etc), so teammates that can deal with them while having an offensive/defensive sinergy is neat. CB Scizor can pursuit trap Latias and/or provide momentun, Gliscor (that mainly works as a Alolan Muk check) is a defogger and also has uturn, while Swampert is the rock setter that also checks Crobat. I already had 4 mons the team, and decided to go Celebi with np groundinium-z as a Amoonguss/Breloom check, that also has a great wallbreaking potential. Primarina is another Specs user that has good bulk, adding more raw offensive power as an extra specs user(the EVs in Speed are for creeping CB Azumarill).

: Gengar and Primarina both live an unboosted Leaf Storm, but you gotta double on the Serperior switch to avoid taking damage. Celebi lives a +2 HP Fire but only has a chance at 2ohkoing.
: Azumarill kills Celebi from full after rocks, but can be revenge killed with Gengar.
: This one is incredibly hard to play against, you gotta keep Primarina healthy to revenge kill it.

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge
- Nasty Plot

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Spikes

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Grass Knot
- Gunk Shot

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Trick

My team follows basically the same formula as Sage of the 6: Gar / Special breaker / Keys / Mamo / Fighting breaker / Scarf Dragon. I started with the fat-destroying core of Taunt Z Gar / MDoom / MixNape and the rest kinda just supports that by propping up the tougher offense matchup with Spikes / Ice Shard / Scarfer. Gengar does an awesome job prepping for a Flame Charge MDoom sweep between Taunt, Z Move, and Sludge Bomb poison wearing down Fairies and Blisseys. Keys gives me Spikes and a blanket check to Lati / Beedrill / Aero sorta as well as a way around Sharpedo and MMane (via Spikes) other than the x button. At this point I really lacked physical firepower and was really annoyed by Gliscor and Aero, so I added Mamo, mostly for the revenge killing power via Ice Shard + spamming Knock Off but also to be a general physical attacking presence. Mamo also gives me a way to punish all the Muk spam since Muk being so predictable vs Gengar + Lati makes it super easy to punish by doubling in and firing off a free EQ. MixNape is a really underutilized set rn, and the glue of the team, being the best dedicated breaker in terms of immediate power because I was forced to stick Rocks on Mamo (fucking hate Rocks Mamo you literally get walled by Grounds without Icicle Crash ffs). Dude just shreds fat by himself and also acts as a really effective lure / counter lead for people who rely on Azu / Primarina early-game, since you just click Gunk Shot and bop the toughest mons to handle defensively in the tier are donezo. Scarf Latias speaks for itself. Was tacked on the end for the sake of having a Scarfer and cause it eases my matchup vs annoying shits like Beedrill / Sceptile / Scarf Drei better than any other Scarfer + Healing Wish is clutch as fuuuuuck to bring back Gar or Nape.

Last edited:
Hey there, voting's up late since I had technically difficulties with my teams :blobsad:

Anyway, I've decided upon an experimental way of being harsher on the teams submitted. Forgive me for being mean in the next few sentences.

There are a pretty pathetic amount of (good) Scizor checks between these four teams (that dont wear themselves down by existing), though I will admit most of them are leagues better at this task than the team that won the Stakataka week. I'm not quite sure why vivalospride has had such an extreme resentment towards floaty Pokemon for so long, but it seems to still be going strong. eht's team is similar in this regard, as there are five mons OHKOed by Choice Scarf Krookodile, which in turn requires Latias to hard switch into it to avoid losing a mon to Earthquake. There's also the problem of...
because I was forced to stick Rocks on Mamo (fucking hate Rocks Mamo you literally get walled by Grounds without Icicle Crash ffs)​
Suprisingly, retrowaves's team has a few Ground resists. Unfortunately, it ended up being the biggest offender of all. With the fastest team member being a base 110 Gengar and a complete lack of speed control and Flying resists, a well played Mega Pidgeot is near impossible to play around for this team. With plenty of chances to fire off Hurricanes against Swampert, Gengar, Celebi, and the Gliscor that is 100% walled by it, Pidgeot is guaranteed to shred this team from preview. Because the other teams (especially Sage's team that uses Sash Counter Gengar as a creative means of trying to circumvent its weaknesses) can at least theoretically deal with massive threats to their team, retrowaves's team is the odd(est) one out here. Every vote for their team will only count as a third of a vote toward it winning the week. I really hope this doesn't start a chain of meme votes holy shit. In the future I won't be afraid to do stuff like this to more than one team, but doing it to 3/4 teams this week would kind of defeat the purpose :\

I hope I didn't offend anyone too much with this little rant. I like all of you that posted this week but c'mon guys, this was pretty terrible.

Anyway, voting due Monday. I'd put in sprites but it just broke 3 AM as of now, so I might do it later.

Sage of the 6
vivalospride
retrowaves
eht

tbh I TSR's post did nothing but analyze the teams that were posted, as they are indeed picked by the community to ladder and play on tour rooms (I myself had people pm'ing me about the teams I've posted here and on other threads) and despite this week's submission being very flawed, I take those words as an encouragement to build better teams from here on.

also i vote for sage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)