Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
ay my new computer is complete and now functions so hi

Moutemoute wins

--------------------

You know, I don't think we've done this yet for some reason. Gligar's been an up-and-coming defensive 'mon, slated to rise to UU if its usage keeps up. It's not Gliscor, but really, nothing is. Still sets or removes hazards and enjoys the current meta trends. Anyways, get building. Nerds.

Due date: Saturday

1AAD7EFE-1FF2-4C94-BD4C-FA86BE99AFF1.jpeg6634BA95-C8EE-45DC-B897-7302D4EDBEC8.png8EE1B597-A9B7-4FF2-B7F4-E5FBE6CF9850.png
997A67A4-DCC0-4EC8-9797-96150D67584D.png885E96B2-D4E1-4567-9D10-0E6FD515535D.png9E773F9F-6CE5-40DB-AD80-DA9BE98760B1.png

Hey guys, here’s a cool squad that I put together showcasing Gligar as a rocker on offense. I ended up using this vs yeezyknows in LLPL/CLPL and picking up a win there.

So I wanted to build around a core of Mienshao + Gligar, which are fantastic pivots at the moment. The rough plan was to use the pair to form a u-turn core, between them blanket checking a lot of the metagame and giving me free u-turns into powerful breakers. As for the EV sets, Mienshao outspeeds Nihilego while taking Z/Specs Draco from Hydrei. Gligar’s is more complicated but the EVs are designed to beat Aero, NP Lucario, all Terrak variants, Coba, Bisharp and Kommo-o as consistently as possible.
I added Mega Aerodactyl as one such hard hitter, a form of speed control and some counterplay versus Latias, which threatened the core offensively. Aero pursuit traps Lati pretty consistently and revenge kills a huge host of threats which set up all over Gligar + Mienshao. Aqua Tail was chosen as a way of pressuring Hippowdon and picking off Krook while EQ gave me a way of pressuring Coba, Empoleon and Aggron.
Next I added Tentacruel as an answer to Scizor, tspikes setter, spinner and just general annoyance. I decided to prioritize spin here and thus go for Tenta over something like Rotom-Heat as it allowed me to more effectively utilize the u-turn core of Shao + Gligar, keeping rocks up so I could keep chipping stuff into range of Aero and whatever other breaker I decided to add later. Tenta outspeeds adamant Bisharp while being as bulky as possible to stop a Sciz clean.
I wanted a stall matchup outside of just tspikes + u turn spam, as well as another soft answer to Scizor. I chose Salazzle here over strong competition from mons like Infernape for it’s better matchup versus Lati, Altaria, Slowbro, NP Infernape and other threats. It also gave me an effective revenge killer for Toge if I let Aero go down. Protect is utilised in the fourth slot as a means of scouting Krook and Hydrei, but Taunt or HP Grass could both be used for a better matchup versus stall/fat in general. It’s the first Salazzle we’ve had in this comp since like week 3 so there’s that too, I guess.
Scizor slotted into the final slot as another wincon and a solid Latias/Celebi check, which the squad lacked at this stage. An extra u-turner was also appreciated, and allowed me to go Toxic on Gligar so it could better answer Aerodactyl, Hippowdon and others. Sciz also sured up the matchup versus Toge and Terrak, providing another consistent revenge killer as well as a way of finishing off stuff like Kommo-o after a little chip. The set creeps Klefki while living an EQ from adamant LO Mamo after rocks. EVs are pretty flexible here, depending on whether you’re more worried about stuff like Aero/Mamo/Lati or spikes offense/other Scizor, it’s really personal preference.

I’ve found this team to be really solid and just good fun, Salazzle is a massively underused threat and Shao + Gligar is a really nice core, give it a try :)

LLPL vs yeezy: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-831561829

I did all the sprites and hyperlinks on mobile, you have no idea how long this took me -.-

Edit: so apparently the sprites aren’t working, here’s a link:

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Screenshot (6).png
Building around a defensive mon like chesnaught or gligar is always awkward for me so I kinda went with different offensive cores until one would appreciate gligar's prowess of dealing with terrakion, being both an electric and a ground immunity, etc. After a fair amount of time I liked the idea of z earth power hydreigon + specs prim, but I ended up making hydreigon scarf due to a dire need of speed control. I spent awhile in the UU room discussing various changes to the team and just when I thought it was good-- it became apparent it simply had no way of breaking stall. Thus, iron plate scizor became CB and Defog Malt became DD and other sets were slightly altered to accommodate the changes. Refresh Facade malt is a huge threat to stall and fatter teams in general as it cant be worn down with toxic fully. Gligar is this week's mon, and it may not be built around using a weird curse set or something, however the way gligar keeps the flow of the team smooth just doing its thing features it enough imo. Overall, it took a lot of changing but I'm really proud of the result. 'sei. was a massive help to the making of this team on PS in particular. also sabrina carpenter's new album is great

Last edited:

So this is the only squad I think I have built that incorporates Gligar in it. Originally I started with DD Malt + CB Tsareena to lure in steel types. The sets are very standard for both Pokemon so I won't bother explaining much but Malt's EV spread allows it to outpace base 115's and garuantee live 2 EQ's from Krookodile. Tsareena is good at luring in steel types such as Scizor and chunking them, also gives me a way to handle Bisharp and Scizor. Next I added Rotom-H because the team struggles so badly vs Mamoswine and Kyurem, it helped alleviate this while giving me an answer to the flying types in the tier for Tsareena. It also forms a nice volturn core while giving me another check to Scizor. I slapped on Firium-Z so you can avoid the stat drop from Overheat and nuke something and Pain Split was run as I had the spare slot free. The SpA means you OHKO Nidoking after SR. This is where I added my Empoleon + Gligar core to check threats like Primarina, Cobalion, Terrakion etc. all things which bothered this squad. Empoleon + Gligar gave me the hazard setter/remover I was lacking up to this point. Not gonna say much but they just synergise nicely. The last member was Scarf Hydra for speed control again not much to add other than it gave me an answer to Celebi and a check to Ghost types like Chandy. Overall the team has been solid for me and surprisingly ended up having a lot of momentum based Pokemon. The only change I made was using Rotom-H over Nihi because of Mamo and Kyurem being way too scary. Enjoy!

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Flamethrower

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Roar

Hydreigon @ Firium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Roost

So I’ve currently been loving semistall and this team is no exception. I paired Gligar with Mega Bro because Mega Bro is very susceptible to VoltTurn and Mega Bro can stomach hits from Mamoswine. Mega Bro is my bulky wincon for this team and I built the rest of the team around it to ensure that Mega Bro can try to pull off a sweep. So next up is my Special Wall and Cleric Sylveon. Despite Sylveon being ass (not very good atm). This was mainly to increase my damage output with a pixilate Hyper Voice (and I hardly every see Soundproof Clangers and even if I do I have Mega Bro) and because it’s my Fairy of choice. My 4th slot goes to the underutilized SubToxic Moltres. It’s here as my Scizor answer and because it stacks on those resistances. Now I have my second birb, Empoleon who synergizes well with Gligar and is my Rocker. I was also in desperate need of a Flying resist so this mon took that slot for my team. It also has Roar to force out those Suicunes that think they can freely set up on this team. Finally, I needed a faster mon to ensure that I wouldn’t be 6-0ed by slow wallbreakers like Crawdaunt and Chandelure so I have a Taunt Roost Hydreigon with a Firium Z to surprise those bulky Zors and Steels that still revenge kills Bisharp. It also eases the Stall matchup with Moltres so that I have my answers to disrupt it.

Hope you like the team and enjoy!

Last edited:
Click here for a team totally not clickbait

So, I started off with Gligar, the scorpion of the hour. We know what it does, we know why it's here. Check electrics, check Terrakion, all the good stuff. Next up we have Altaria-Mega, which is the cleaner for the team. It does its usual thing of DDing and sweeping. I found outrunning Mane and Zera to be pointless since it's a fairly hard check to both so I just went for outspeeding Bish at neutral and left it at that. It serves as the Hydra check for the team, an ape check, all the good things. Empoleon serves as a backup Hydra check should Alt be but under serious pressure, as well as a flying check and a Latias check. It also checks Primarina and defogs for the team. Next up, we have Rotom-Heat. I felt really safe against Togekiss so I didn't feel the need for thunderbolt, and I had a defogger so I didn't need that either. So I was able to pull out the very rare, very obnoxious pain split toxic Rotom that's the bane of many softer Rotom checks and bulkier teams in general. Speaking of being the bane of bulkier teams, we also got Hydreigon, here with it's taunt set. Since I had a Hydra with recovery, I didn't feel the need for an Altaria with bulk for checking Daunt or Krook, which is already good in itself. But it also uses taunt to break through the many fatter builds of the tier. Last up, I needed speed control. I really couldn't decide for the life of me what to put here since no remotely orthodox scarfer looked good in this slot. I felt a little weak to opposing Altaria-Mega, and any Latias that can Zap Empo with Z-electric, so I decided why not a band Scizor? That bullet punch is strong enough to call itself speed control, and it helps me to a decent degree with some of my remaining poor matchups, and even has voltturn synergy with Gligar and Rotom! Anywho, I hope you like the team!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)