Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice 6-0 this week Juuno, congrats for winning this week!

Going off of the track record this thread has last year, we've decided to take another small hiatus with this year's rendition of UU Open getting under way, as I don't think the turnout for the next few weeks will be stellar. I'll be rebooting the thread during the later stages of the tournament. Keep your teams to yourself for a little bit, and good luck to everyone participating!

double post :cwl:

HI everyone! Seeing as the UU Open pool has been cut down to a fraction of the original size, we're coming back right now rather than waiting longer. Last but not least, best of luck to anyone still in the tournament n____n

Anywho, we're closing in on a full year's worth of weeks for this project, so we'll just keep trucking along with this week's subject being Mamoswine. Like actually thank fucking God it doesnt have to be Mega Venusaur Mamo returns to our tier after a short stint in OU due to... reasons....
Regardless, Mamoswine has returned to its familiar niche of one of UU's premier physical wallbreakers due to its above average speed, raw power, and excellent Ice / Ground STAB coverage. Get to posting, voting's going up Saturday as per usual!

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 152 Atk / 180 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell
So I made this team around Mega Aerodactyl + Amoonguss, I was just trying to make some standard ass balance or some shit and it amounted to whatever this is. Pif said it looks like I combined a bulky team with an offensive team lol. Anyways I decided to go with Mantine was my removal to pair with Maero + Amoonguss because Mantine acts as a reliable SD Scizor answer and can remove on most ground and steel rockers which give Maero the most trouble. I went with Mamoswine after this because I thought it'd be cool to have over more passive options like Hippowdon. It provides something for stall, and it lures a lot of Maero checks to give it a lot more breathing room. CB Scizor came through as a pivot, speed control, Lati check, etc. Scizor just made a lot of sense here because I didn't have a steel and I felt that CB Bullet Punch was all I'd need in terms of speed control in unison with Maero. Togekiss comes through to solidify the team's stall matchup, and provide a Hydreigon answer.

Araquanid (M) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Magic Coat

Kommo-o (F) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

This here's a webs team cool user vivalospride helped me make during the M-Venu suspect. Kommo-o was fantastic at the time; the idea was partnering it with webs to patch its subpar Speed to make it even better. Araquanid is pretty much the best webs setter in the tier, capable of dealing absurd damage with Liquidation while crippling walls with Toxic and using Magic Coat to reverse setting hazards. Kommo-o is SD because theoretically webs allow it to forgo Dragon Dance, and +2 Devastating Drake is a monstrous nuke. Sub CM Chandelure blocks Rapid Spin and also takes advantage of webs slowing down faster opponents. Mamoswine provides SR and threatens out M-Aero, Latias, etc. with Ice Shard. Togekiss is the usual Nasty Plot set with Thunder Wave over a second attacking move to help the rest of the team deal with threats unaffected by webs like Hydreigon. Finally, CB Scizor offers another form of strong priority, momentum with U-Turn, and Pursuit support.

Other options I'd suggest are DD Kommo-o instead of SD because you can't always guarantee webs will be up, and a more defensive Scizor set since this team lacks hazard control.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Slack Off

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Wish
- Synthesis

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

So here's a little creative bulky team I whipped up for this week. It of course, has Mamoswine. Our favorite rocks setting breaker with electric immunity that can revenge a lot of floating mons and dragons with ice shard. It pretty much explains itself. Next, we have an option that isn't used as much in this metagame: Mega Slowbro. It's here to check opposing Mamoswine, Cobalions, Aerodactyls, Infernapes, Heracross, the whole lot of those messy physical attackers. It only needs a bold nature to do this, so I maxed out on special attack, and a smidge of speed so I'm not banking on speed ties against Amoonguss. This slowbro also has a unique coverage option: Focus Blast. Focus Blast allows Slowbro to utterly obliterate a Hydreigon switch in, as well as let it easily defeat Empoleon, who annoys this team otherwise. Next up, is Florges. Our wonderful wishing fairy hydra resist, with a bit of role compression on top since I really needed a defogger for this team considering who my stallbreaker is. Next up, is Stakataka. Stakataka brings me a solid flying resist and a Latias check in one slot, and also has some cute synergy with Slowbro by setting up trick room. Beyond that, it's just good old Staka. Breaking offenses as usual. After Staka, we have our stallbreaker, our favorite stallbreaker and Scizor check, Chandelure. This is another self-explanatory set. it's a pretty strong threat that blasts defensive teams while checking certain threats to my team. Lastly, we have Hydreigon, to bring a check to Mega Mane trying to HP grass Mamo, as well as more importantly a check to the devastating ghost types like Gengar and Chandelure that would otherwise blast this team to bits with shadow balls. Its also a fast draco spammer to blow away other key threats like Haxorus, Mega Shark, certain Kommo-Os, etc. who would also be major problems for this team. I hope you guys like the team!

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 212 Atk / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Stone Edge

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Celebi @ Groundium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power

So uh this is a HO team with an interesting Mamo set that's basically meant to smack Moltres / Rotom-H / Swampert / Alo etc so Scizor can clean. You could run Icicle Crash with normal EVs and a different 4th move like Endeavor or Knock Off or even Stealth Rock if you want, it's w/e. Basically the set's supposed to help SD Scizor win games. Terrakion's the lead I chose because it gives you a LOT more offensively, being able to just smack stuff despite being a suicide lead so at times you can easily go for favorable trades at the start. Even if you decide to not go for using SR anyways it doesn't punish you much since you can trade 1v1 vs important mons really easily at the start. SD Scizor was the main sweeper I wanted Mamoswine to function alongside, so I went for an all out-offensive SD set which you can easily augment with Quick Attack > Bug Bite or any other changes, really, it's very much so customizable. I wanted another offense killer so I just went for Sharpedo. Afterwards I wanted to have Cobalion since it just gives me a lot more defensive utility to play around while being able to lure Moltres / Chandelure and the like. You can use Rock Polish or Occa Berry or Chople Berry or wtv suits you. Lastly I wanted something that could have a good matchup against most bulky playstyles and acted as a good Scald switch-in cos Suicune and Tenta can be extremely annoying so I went for Celebi. You could run Dazzling Gleam with Colbur Berry and have Z-Fight on Scizor if you wanted to have a better matchup vs Latias / Hydreigon.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I did not get a response as to what to do for our next week so it's in my hands now.

Kreme won this week :D congratulations!

Kreme - 4
rawbi - 3
vivalospride - 2

---------------------------------------

Our next week is the other drop of the last shift, Amoonguss! This Pokemon's an amazing pivot and the only remaining viable user of Spore in the metagame. Good luck building :D

Submissions are due Saturday.

Primarina_SM.gifAmoonguss_XY.gifRotom-Heat_XY.gifCobalion_XY.gifKrookodile_XY.gifKyurem_XY.gif

So I actually built an earlier version this team for bebo7788 to use in the UU Open. Unfortunately, it lost (mainly because stallbreaker Pidge is garbo), but I still think this is worth sharing. I started with the core of Primarina + Amoonguss since I wanted to build around one of the mons from the new meta and fat Primarina benefited greatly from Venusaur's ban. I decided to add Rotom-Heat next, as it patches up a lot of this core's weaknesses such as SD Scizor and creates a Fire + Grass + Water core. It also provides hazard removal, which is useful due to the fact that its also my only floating mon. Next, I decided on Cobalion, as I wanted Rocks and a Steel type that was able to do decent against Scizor. It also provides a wincon that I was lacking. Krookodile, the mon besides Primarina that I use on basically every team, was my choice for speed control, a Ground type, another Aero check, and a check to CM Latias which was otherwise extremely threatening. Lastly, my stall matchup was lacking and I wanted a Dragon type. I decided on stallbreaker Kyurem, a severely underrated set that should get more attention. I used Ice Beam over Blizzard and Earth Power over Focus Blast because I prefer consistent accuracy over higher power.

Other Options

This time, I decided to try something new for Other Options and post my old versions since I feel like there isn't much else you could change for this team without making it worse or weaker to something.

Primarina (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Krookodile (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Pidgeot-Mega (F) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Roost
- Refresh

Primarina (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock

Krookodile (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Overrall, I've enjoyed using this team a lot as my first team in the new meta, and I hope you do too!

Amoonguss.png
Slowbro.png
Steelix.png
Steelixite.png
Rotom-heat.png
Togekiss.png
Hydreigon.png

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Amoonguss goes with balance like butter on bread, so obviously I felt much more comfortable building this week as a balance player at heart, and had a lot of fun in general building with this team. This team is a mish mash of things I've wanted to build with for a while crammed on to a team together. Double regen, Amoonguss in general, Steelix-Mega, Classic stallbreaker Toge (I've been using Babiri too much) and I say it turned out pretty well. Amoonguss is here to be it's usual defensive pivot self, spreading spores, clear smogging boosts, being a general nuisance to waters and other grasses, the whole shebang. Next up, we have Slowbro. I originally wanted Alomomola as my second regenerator mon for wish passing, but I decided to bite my tongue since I was having trouble handling certain mons that Slowbro handles well. It's Waterium Z so it can check Terrak handily via switching in and always threatening that OHKO. It's also a very effective Cobalion check by virtue of it's typing and the ability to thunder wave it. Next up, we have Steelix-Mega. Steelix-Mega is a mon I've really wanted to build with since I feel it's underrated in this meta, especially as a Latias check since many are running electrium to stave the Empoleon trend. It also faces less stiff competition from other grounds since most of them are having the same problems with Mega Manectric's HP grass that Steelix always had with it's overheat. And it's arguably a better RAIKOU check than some of the other grounds in the face of the HP grass trend. Steelix isn't just here because of my bias to it though, it has tons of natural synergy with the other members of the team by virtue of it's typing, forming a defensive duo with Slowbro similar to the classic LixKing duo of generations past, and forming well defensively with Hydreigon and Togekiss as well. Its ability to check Latias quite effectively is also appreciated because of how many members of this team can be taken advantage of by it. Next, we have Rotom-Heat, a fantastic blanket check in it's own right. It takes flyings that Steelix is shakier against like Pidgeot and Moltres, as well as taking on threats like Scizor. It's also the team's defogger. Togekiss is here to check Hydreigon for the team with it's fairy typing, as well as stallbreak with it's Nasty Plot set, it has some nice defensive synergy with a few of the team members already listed. Lastly, we have Hydreigon. Hydreigon is the scarfer so it revenge kills for the team. It's also important for checking Mega Manectric since Steelix tempts it to click overheat. It also checks ghosts like Chandelure and Gengar for the team and being a floating dragon gives it great defensive synergy with a number of the other team members. Overall, I think the team is pretty sturdy! It has tons of defensive synergy with checks to most common mons and a lot of ways to push against some current meta trends. I hope everyone likes it!

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Flames (Toxicroak) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Titanium (Aggron-Mega) (F) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

The Greatest (Primarina) (F) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Psychic

Helium (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Psychic

Cheap Thrills (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Elastic Heart (Amoonguss) (F) @ Poisonium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore
I built this team around SD Toxicroak + Specs Prim. Toxicroak was blessed with Dry Skin, giving it a water immunity. Being a poison type as well means it can switch into both scalds and toxic from opposing stall teams. It can also punish locked prim/volc and suicune and set up with ease. Specs prim is very hard to switch into and has the immediate power that toxicroak simply lacks without an SD boost. Aggron is simply a reliable stealth rock user and is able to stomach hits from scizor and hit back with a firepunch. Scarf latias is a common mon that provides speed control outside of toxicroak's sucker punch and can healing wish for aggron. Mamoswine is a strong mon that can break balance with prim and gives a more reliable from of priority. With Aggron providing the rocks, I was able to add knock off to hit mons like Rotom-H and remove lefties from fatter mons like alom. Finally, there's amoongus who is a reliable pivot and my z user. Poisonium Z amoongus is nice for beating other amoongus reliably since my main answers for them are choice-locked. It's also hits crawdaunt and shark harder than giga drain. I don't really do much besides vote on the forum so sorry if this description was less than satisfactory xd xd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)