Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Pak has emerged victorious this week! Congratulations!

Pak - 4
Adaam - 3
Smallsmallrose - 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Our next week is on Jellicent! It's been flying under the radar for a while now, but its unique qualities as a Taunt stallbreaker and hard answer to threats like Cobalion and non-Knock Off Scizor, all while being a bulky Water-type, make it a solid pick for plenty of bulkier teams. Big thanks to Sage for using jellicent a lot.
Get your teams in by Saturday, please!

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So basically I wanted to build around sr taunt mixed kommo and scizor made sense as it's first partner for obvious reasons, this set is hard walled by every fairy in the game, scizor is good vs fairies. I went with this Scizor set specifically because I thought it was cool with bulletproof Kommo since that can come in on chandy but tbh that's not necessary at all and it should prolly be changed to overcoat for a spore switch in LOL. Krook made sense as the next teammate again for obvious reasons, it's speed control, pursuit support, and most importantly a volt absorber on a team w/o a ground type rocker. Latias iirc was originally a Maero because of how weak the team is to Moltres n burds n shit, but I later changed it to Lati b/c the rest of the team didn't rlly make sense for Maero, no removal and poor bulky ground m/us n shit. This led to Lati being plopped there since it can kinda check Moltres w/ elec move and recovery, that paired with qa Sciz + Keys should cover fliers for the most part. Keys came in b/c I realized how good this team is with spikes, qa sciz, mixed kommo, etc. Klefki is a flying resist and reliable Lati/Drei answer as well. I remember being 5 mons in and I just started zoning out drooling on my keyboard and I was like damn I'm super weak to Scizor n shit and I showed good user Amane Misa and she was like lol Jelli and I was like oh you're right. Jelli is good here for Sciz m/u + being a spin blocker and all that shit.

I decided to build a team around Jellicent a few days ago after having faced one team with it on the ladder.

Jellicent is a pretty cool Pokemon, thanks to its typing and ability, it can acts as a nice spinblocker while being able to prevent the placing of Entry Hazards thanks to Taunt. I decided to opt for Hex over Scald because it allows Jellicent to 1v1 effectively Pokemon like Empoleon, Tentacruel, (non-Hidden Power Electric) Volcanion, Hippowdon or Swampert.
Next, I decided to add a great and well known core : Hydreigon + Tentacruel. Tentacruel is one of my favorite Pokemon and a great Spinner in the tier. Toxic Spikes are great and kinda hard to remove thanks to Jellicent's Ghost Type. In the other hand Taunt Dragonium Z Hydreigon is a insanely good Stallbreaker that can mess with a lot of slower Pokemon while preventing Defog.
Just like Slowbro, Hydreigon, Terrakion etc.. Steelix-Mega is one of those Pokemon that became pretty good. Thanks to its typing, Steelix-Mega can check Manectric-Mega, Aerodactyl-Mega, Raikou, Latias and the majority of Fairies in the tier while providing Stealth Rock. The spread on Lix allows it to OHKO Hydreigon after 1 Curse with Gyro Ball which is super nice considering how Hydreigon is pretty much everywhere atm.
Next we have Sylveon for Wish and Cleric support and Dragon immunity. I opt for Sylveon over Florges because it has a better physical Bulk thanks to its higher HP.
Last but not least, Scarf Latias gives some Speed to the team and a good way to Revenge Kill Pokemon like Terrakion, Kommo-o / Haxorus after 1 Dragon Dance etc.. Trick is good to bother Stall while Healing Wish gives even more utility to Latias.

The team is really solid, I actually picked #7 on the ladder with it. Hope you will like it :]

florges-blue.pngjellicent.pnghydreigon.pngsteelix-mega.pngcelebi.pngnihilego.png
note for Moutemoute:
I PROMISE I DID NOT BASE THIS OFF YOUR TEAM DON'T BE MAD ILY

I actually originally built this team around Florges for my first team I made after my infinite hiatus. Jellicent was added because I wanted to use it and that's about it lol. So I added resident not S dragon Hydreigon because I needed speed control and a floating mon. Next up is Smallsmallrose's favorite mon to spam besides Rotom-Heat, Mega Steelix. Thanks to Sage for the spread which OHKOs Hydreigon at +1. Onion fairy here is something that's really good in the current meta, especially since Grass types don't get prepared for as often with Serp gone and stuff. Psychium w/ Dazzling Gleam is something I really wanted to try, especially with it doing massive work so far in snake. Last up is Nihilego because I get smashed by Moltres otherwise and I wanted a bit more speed. Protect is to not get pursuited by Krook/Sciz and that's about it. So yeah I'm off my infinite hiatus and this is my first try at a team since then (ironically it looks a lot like a balance build even with my undying hate), so I hope you enjoy.

Jellicent.png
Nidoqueen.png
1537925566645.png
Bronzong.png
Hydreigon.png
1537925615789.png

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Toxic Spikes

Florges-Blue @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Wish

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

A Bronzong on a post-Mega Diancie Rose team? Grab your lottery tickets kids, cause this alien sighting is rarer than a Munchlax on a honey tree in gen 4. I started with Jellicent obviously, since I was building around it. It checks Cobalions, Scizors, all the cute stuff while being really obnoxious to enemy fat teams with it's taunt. Nidoqueen is here to be a backup check to Scizor and Cobalion, while being the team's PRIMARY check to the likes of Terrakion and Mega Manectric. I was attached to using toxic spikes on this Nidoqueen, since taunt and toxic spikes is such a deadly combination against more defensive teambuilds. Florges is here to upkeep mons without direct recovery on the team using wish while also being an effective defogger and Hydreigon check. Next up on the block, is this weird thing called a Bronzong that I almost never use nowadays. I needed a Mamoswine check, and a Latias check in the same slot. And Bronzong's weird role compression makes it the perfect thing for the job. Next up, we have Hydreigon. Crawdaunt felt obnoxious at this point, and I wanted a stallbreaker outside of Jellicent (Especially since it fumbles at breaking Blissey without Toxic Spikes) So Hydreigon was the best thing I could think of. Lastly, I needed some kind of Moltres resist since that thing looked terrifying to the rest of the team, but I still needed speed control too. So I added Nihilego as my scarfer. It has Psyshock to make it a very weird yet oddly effective Gengar check, as it's status as a natural special wall lets it switch in on Gengar convincingly and psyshock will always OHKO on direct contact. Dazzling gleam lets me Revenge the dragon dancers of Haxorus and Kommo-o in an emergency while also giving me a solid move for hitting Hydreigon and Krookodile. I hope you enjoy the team! It looks really fat on paper but it definitely has ways to win the day against other fat teams.

Last edited:
[Mega]

Demon Barbie (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 174 Def / 82 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

The Stupid One (Terrakion) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Bake Me Up (Rotom-Heat) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

Weaponized Meth (Steelix-Mega) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Curse

Under Your Bed (Gengar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Keep Flying On (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

I swear I’m the only person that uses Female Jellicent. Anyway, I decided at the beginning to pair Jellicent with Terrakion because it discourages players to click Knock Off and Dark Pulse and call it a day. Jellicent also soaks up any Water type attacks thrown at Terrakion. This team also needed some offensive power and Terrakion is just the go to wallbreaker of the meta and is an amazing wincon. Next up, I decided to use the good old Ovencii song, Bake Me Up with a bulkier spread. Despite the Stealth Rock weakness, it possesses a surprising amount of longetivity with an Iapapa Berry. Heattom also provides a Ground immunity and can allow a safe switch in for Terrakion with Volt Switch. Mega Steelix is next up as another Flying resist, a rocks setter, and as another wincon with Curse+Gyro Ball. Now we have the monster under your bed and behind your Sub. It also fires tranquilizer darts so you can go the fuck asleep. Finally, I have Togekiss as a blanketmon+speed control with a Scarf to apply more offensive pressure against opposing Terrak who was annoying for this team originally. Aura Sphere is also still an effective lure against Stakatakatakatakatakatakatakatakatakatakatakatakataka......

Enjoy the team and the shitty memes!

Last edited:

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Defog

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Superpower
I chose to build around the core of Virizion + Jellicent. Virizion has an unexplored niche in UU, able to come in on any of Krookodile's attacks bar the rare Fire Fang, set up with Swords Dance, and plow through teams through virtue of its typing and strong STABs. Rockium Z enables it to blow past counters like M-Altaria and heavily dent Amoonguss. Jellicent helps break down stall through a combination of Taunt, Toxic, and Recover, while also providing a stop to Scizor. Nihilego came next in the process as an answer to Flying moves that threaten Virizion, SR support, and a powerful attacker with LO. My own CB Scizor provides Pursuit and U-Turn support and revenge killing. Florges checks Hydreigon and other Dragons, and provides useful role compression in hazard control and Aromatherapy, as status moves are a real pain for this team. Finally, my own LO Hydreigon is here to punch holes, as few things can survive a Draco Meteor after eating a Dark Pulse, and it carries Superpower to lure Blissey, which would wall this team if Virizion is dead.

I'll admit I'm not a great team builder, but I like this for using lesser seen sets and threats. Enjoy!

EDIT: Just noticed Rose and Juuno have Hydra/Florges/Nihilego too lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)