UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition Week #13 - Scizor

And with the Hatter leaving the tier, this week's winner is Crushy! Congrats! Our next subject will be another high-profile customer that's been destroying bulkier UU teams...

Hydreigon

Hydreigon has been terrorizing UU teams since Alpha between its excellent typing, coverage, and stats. What really makes it work is its access to Nasty Plot, allowing it to set up on passive Pokemon like Slowking, Gastrodon, and the Rotom formes, and wreak havoc with boosted Dark Pulses. Hydreigon has been commonly seen running a Substitute + Nasty Plot set as well, using Dark Pulse and Flash Cannon as its attacking moves. This set capitalizing even harder on passive Pokemon, throwing up Substitutes to prevent status moves and weak attacks from slowing Hydreigon down. Additionally, Hydreigon has been able to make itself more unpredictable and harder to take out with the addition of Terastallizing in Generation 9, which Hydreigon commonly uses to turn itself into a Steel-type. This removes Hydreigon's weaknesses to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy, replacing them with resistances, and potentially giving it another crucial turn to set up a Substitute or Nasty Plot, or just to fire off a strong attack. Outside of the NP + 3 Attacks and Sub + NP sets, Hydreigon got a cool new toy this generation in access to Stealth Rock, but this is much less commonly seen. On the flipside, Hydreigon lost access to Roost and Defog in this gen, reducing its longevity and utility and bottlenecking it into offensive roles moreso than in previous generations. Hydreigon is also not quite as fast as it would like to be for an offensive Pokemon, letting it be somewhat vulnerable to revenge killers. This is also complicated by its weaknesses to Bug and Fighting, which mean that Hydreigon can be forced out by Pokemon like Sllither Wing using U-Turn, Close Combat, and First impression. This hasn't slowed Hydreigon down, however, and it's currently a top threat that absolutely must be accounted for in the builder. Let's see what we can come up with!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Hydreigon.
Submission Deadline: Friday, January 6, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

VAPOREON BALANCE

:sv/vaporeon: :sv/talonflame: :sv/hippowdon: :sv/forretress: :sv/hydreigon: :sv/slither-wing:

This is a balance team centered around Vaporeon that, in my opinion, can handle a lot of scary threats atm. Vapo is great for handling scary rain abusers like Floatzel, Barraskewda, and (most of all) Golduck. Wish is unfortunately not the best form of recovery for this kind of team, but it gives Vapo utility before attempting a sweep, which is nice. Scarf Drei is very nice here as it allows you to revenge DD Tera Fire Baxcalibur, a threat that, in my opinion, seems to have no real proper defensive cplay. You can Tera Steel to eat a Glaive Rush and 2hko it with EP. Forre is considered a bad mon by many and while I do agree it's exploitable and can't do everything super greatly, it's nice here as a Tink switchin that isn't deathly afraid of knock (albeit it doesn't like losing it's recovery) and imo it's the best Bax answer for balance teams and allows for this team to stack spikes and make progress against Vapo answers lacking recovery like Toxic Toedscruel and Wo-Chien, mons who are also lured and chipped by Scarf Drei's U-Turns, bringing in the thing that pressures them back a lot, Banded Slither Wing. TFlame and Hippo naturally just do their thing, TFlame is as always a solid check to Slither Wing as well a nice ground immunity so that I'm not overreliant on Drei for that, Hippo is a nice Special sponge that can set rocks, block Volt Switches from the likes of Shocks, Heattom, and Killowatteral. Overall this team wasn't exactly built with Drei in mind (I built this before the tier shifts lol, I only changed around a few sets to better fit the new meta) but it shows off how even it doesn't need to be the centerpiece of a team to be a great mon.

Double Taunt Dragon Doggo

:hydreigon: :lycanroc-dusk: :talonflame: :scream tail: :magnezone: :gyarados:

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Encore

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Steel Beam

Gyarados @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

This team is built around the core of Hydreigon and Lycanroc-Dusk. Dusk doggo is a potent lategame cleaner but falters hard against fat mons like Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Alomomola. Specs Hydreigon takes advantage of these passive pokes to come in and fire off powerful Draco Meteors and Dark Pulses. Since Lycanroc's fragility isn't helped by hazards, Talonflame acts as our Defogger and deterrent with Taunt. Scream Tail provides Rocks, Wish recovery, and can gain momentum through Encore. Magnezone forms a Dragon-Fairy-Steel core and traps mons like Tinkaton and Forretress. Finally defensive Gyarados staves off the Tauros forms, Maushold, and other physical threats.

I'm not the greatest builder but I'm finding success with this team, and I hope you try it out!

DREISHARP SPIKESTACK BO ft. bulky af bax and non mold breaker tink
:sv/brambleghast::sv/baxcalibur::sv/tinkaton: (click on deez)
WHENTHEWINDISSLOW (Brambleghast) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Wind Rider
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball

AND THE FIRE'S HOT (Bisharp) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Night Slash

THE VULTURE WAITS (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

TO SEE WHAT ROTS (Slowking) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Chilly Reception
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

OH HOW PRETTY (Baxcalibur) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Glaive Rush
- Earthquake

ALL THE SCENERY (Tinkaton) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gigaton Hammer
- Play Rough
- Stealth Rock

This team is based around the core of Hydreigon+Tinkaton, which complement each other quite well both due to their typings, with Tink checking fairies and Drei checking grounds, and because Hydreigon can provide relatively safe entry for Tink with U-turn and Tink can set up rocks for Drei. Hydreigon has a standard specs set of pulse+meteor+flash cannon+u-turn, no explanation needed there. I decided to go with a very nonstandard offensive set on Tinkaton. Now that Hatterene is gone, Mold Breaker actually isn't the best ability for Tink imo (i never thought i would say that lol) as Espeon is very uncommon, so I went with Own Tempo which stops Staraptor and water tauros from forcing it out with intimidate. Jolly 240 speed on Tink outspeeds jolly max speed Lokix, which the rest of the team kind of struggles with. SD+hammer+play rough is really strong in general, and of course SR is a necessity. Brambleghast is this team's hazard remover and spikes setter, and it can harass things like Tinkaton with Strength Sap. Eviolite Bisharp is crucial for some form of priority as well as being an amazing wincon overall with SD and defiant. Tera Dark Sucker Punch on this thing at +4 is sheeshy. Finally, Slowking and Baxcalibur form a nice offensive bulky pair, with Slowking's chilly reception turning baxcalibur into an extremely tough wall to break due to max hp investment and lefties as well as being insanely powerful with DD, and Fsight hitting almost everything that can switch into Bax really hard. TWave is also extremely valuable as there aren't any especially fast mons on the team. I went for an anti-meta Tera Fairy on Bax as it keeps faster dragons like Hydreigon and Noivern from revenge killing you with Draco Meteor and turns its fighting weakness into a resistance.

(the nicknames definitely aren't a metal gear reference :] )

Last edited:
:sv/hydreigon: :sv/Salamence: :sv/Magnezone: :sv/Donphan: :sv/Slowbro: :sv/Lycanroc-Dusk:

Dragmag team built around Hydra, Mence, Magnezone. Specs Hydra aims to break down most defensive cores and U-turn out on Tink to bring in Magnezone to trap it. Magnezone can also trap Orthworm and chip it down for Salamence. Went with AV to act as a Gengar, Kilo, and Noivern switchin then retaliate back with Mirror Coat. Donphan is the setter and removal on the team. Slowbro helps with a lot like Lucario, rain, and Baxcaliber. I personally prefer Ice Beam > Water STAB but feel free to change that if you prefer the latter. Finally, I needed a revenge killer and Lycanroc-D fits that well. Double Prio is great in many scenarios, especially with Tera in the mix.

:sv/hydreigon: :sv/gallade: :sv/tinkaton: :sv/brambleghast: :sv/kilowattrel: :sv/alomomola:
https://pokepast.es/2e7c75a3389d1d29
taking it back to SWSH UU here with one of my favorite sets of all time, HYDREIGON SPECS. hits just as hard as NP drei while also opening up avenues for coverage, at the cost of bulk and recovery. also wanted to give gallade a try, as it was buffed massively this gen (between the buffs and iron valiant, some employee at game freak must REALLY love gallade lol) and it forms a pretty solid core with hydreigon, both being powerful wallbreakers and making a psychic/fighting/dark core with just two mons. the one real weakness these two share is fairy types, which made tinkaton, the best steel-type in the tier, a natural pick for slot 3. it also acts as the rocker and helps to fix drei and gallade's middling speed tiers with thunder wave support. i then decided to go for a bit of a spikestack route here with brambleghast, which is both a secondary hazard setter and a hazard remover with additional support from strength sap. kilowattrel acts as the speed control, the offensive pivot, and the defog deterrent all in one, the latter thanks to competitive. went tera grass here because imo tera water works much better with volt absorb as the ability, finally we have alomomola as the defensive pivot of the team, providing wish support to keep hydreigon and gallade as healthy as possible.

:sv/hydreigon: :sv/staraptor: :sv/orthworm: :sv/scream-tail: :sv/magnezone: :sv/quagsire:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Orthworm @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Earth Eater
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shed Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 100 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Grass
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Tera Blast

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Spikes

Have YOU ever wanted to use a team where you click REALLY big buttons? Look no further than my groundbreaking BirdMag archetype.

This team gets good matchups against pretty much every archetype other than the quite uncommon stall (Alomomola is a demon), with Hydreigon disassembling defensive cores and Scarf Staraptor wrecking offense teams. All you need is to dismember your Orthworm once and then Hydreigon can Tera-Poison and Nasty plot throughout half of your opponent's team. Hydreigon also often forces switches into Gastrodon which is often the only specially defensive mon on a team. +2 Draco is a clean one-hit KO, allowing Magnezone to go crazy with specs Flash Cannons and Thunderbolts.

And Hydreigon not the only good use of Shed Tail on this team; Staraptor is a big fan of the 25%HP insurance that allows it to throw off Double-Edges and Brave Birds with less fear of being revenge killed by Priority. It also easily mows through teams with Brave Bird / Double Edge when a Forretress/Tinkaton/Orthworm is removed by Magnezone. No hazard removal with a Staraptor seems bad, but my team can apply consistent pressure to/magnet pull trap common hazard setters. Staraptor often doesn't even need to come in more than once a game to do its thing, anyway.

Lastly, I'd like to compliment the defensive capabilities of this team. Scream Tail's wish support is essential to getting that one last switch-in from Hydreigon, Staraptor, or Magnezone, as well healing Orthworm back up so that it can check what it needs to for longer. It's EV'd to outspeed max speed Hydreigon, so you can easily encore a Nasty Plot or any other move that doesn't make progress against you. Hydreigon's only move that actually 2HKOs you is tera-steel specs Flash Cannon, and the tera makes it trappable by Magnezone. Orthworm with Iron Defense / Body Press beats pretty much every single dragon-type sweeper that isn't packing a mixed set or tera-blast fire/fighting, including the mighty Baxcalibur. And, finally, Quagsire applies consistent pressure to opposing walls with Toxic, is a reliable spiker, and redeems the Rain matchup.

And, to close this post off, I'd like to share this replay. This team is so good that it intimidates the opponent into forfeiting on turn one.
malicious hydreigon.jpg

I spent 10 minutes making this in MS paint. Was it worth it? Up to you.

Edit: formatting

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/c4f0b6e5392d7972

:Orthworm: :tyranitar: :hydreigon: :froslass: :lucario: :baxcalibur:

hydreigon is on this team as a great dark type on this team by taking on pokemon such as armarogue, being resistant to ghost, and the dark type allows it to be immune to prankster encore. With dark pulse and flash cannon it hits the enitre metagame besides bisharp, lucario, and tauros. It is also a great recipient of shed tail as it can easily setup on slowking, woo chien, gastrodon, quagsire, alomomola, bramblegeist, and more.

ttar is on this team as an excelent dragon dancer, Being paired with hydreigon it forms an excelent core of them wanting to nuke each others checks and take advantage of them such as ttar being able to take advantage of blissey, sp. def gastrodon, and is able to exert pressure on bisharp with its powerful eq's. Jolly is used to outspeed pokemon such as gengar, grafaiai, scream tail, and sandy shocks.

Orthworm is on this team to provide rocks, a check to baxcalibur, ttar, and being able to take advantage of pokemon such as gastrodon, quagsire, iron thorns, tinkaton to get free shed tails to pass to teammates. With a shed tail passed to a teammate it can easily sweep the game with it.

Froslass is the classic HO lead with spikes and being able to deny opposing hazards. Will o wisp makes it so physical pokemon such as ttar, tinkaton, maushold, and earthworm wouldnt want to stay in.

baxcalibur is something I wanted to expiriment with, with loaded dice and shed tail it is able to have a minimum of a 100BP physical ice stab. Brick break with fighting tera is an interesting tech for sure.. it is for orthworm and not be able to freely revenge it or setup shed tails vsit and instead can cleanly 2hko it

Lucario is lucario, late game cleaner with tera normal extreeme speed being able to nuke most offensive pokemon trying to come in to take a hit such as kilowattrel, floatzel, talonflame, scarfers, etc. Crunch is used here over bullet punch as the coverage vs bramblegeist, slowking, and slowbro which would otherwise break through them with ease and besides gengar there isnt really anything that wants to take extreeme speed while being faster than it.

Last edited:
I rrly like HydreighonTheChild's team, even tho it doesn't include a hydreighon

Edit:still voting for HTC's team,started using froslass alot more bcuz of it :)

Last edited:
HydreigonTheChild easily solely because of the "Hydreigon" inclusion.

Edit: Still voting for the same person solely for the shenadigans.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)