Undiscovered Movesets / EV spreads

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Undiscovered Movesets / EV spreads thread! This is basically the Ubers equivalent to the creative movesets thread. However, the rules here are different than the other ones, to increase the productivity of this thread. The biggest change is the goal of this thread when compared to the other creative movesets thread. This thread aims to assess the proposed and tested sets, and put the viable ones onsite in the form of additional set comments to a similar set, a mention in other options, or even a Peer Edit if needed! READ THESE RULES OR YOU MAY BE PUNISHED!

-Make sure that the Pokémon that are discussed in this thread are generally well explored enough to the point where they don’t require their own discussion thread. For example, posting or proposing a Mewtwo or Scizor set is welcome here, but posting a Tyranitar or Lucario set should wait for their respective discussion threads. A good rule of thumb is that all the Ubers except Ho-oh, Mew, Deoxys-D, Manaphy, and possibly Deoxys-S are welcome here, while well explored Pokémon such as Blissey, Metagross, and Pokémon that have near completed Ubers analyses are also welcome.

-YOU MUST HAVE A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF UBER EXPEREIENCE TO POST HERE! If I see you post something that obviously shows that you don’t play much Ubers, such as “I propose Umbreon because it is immune to Psychic-type attacks” or “I propose Signal Beam Kyogre because it hits Psychic-types super effectively”, your post will be deleted and expect a warning to follow it.

-IF YOU ARE PROPOSING AN UNTESTED SET, YOU MUST STATE SO! Its okay to post a well thought out idea to test, but testing the set is the most important part!

-Do not post joke sets. If I see anything stupid like Surskit or Toxic Stalling Deoxys-A, then your post will be deleted and you may be warned. If you repost the set, you will be infracted!

-Before proposing a set, make sure you checked both Contributions & Corrections and the Strategy Pokédex to make sure that the set you are posting isn’t already mentioned somewhere! An exception would be if you feel that an other options set (such as the last example, lead Rayquaza, is) might have more potential.

Below are some examples of what we are looking for here.

Example 1: The standard set with a twist.
These sets will generally not deviate much from their original set, except they often have a change from the standard, whether it be a different item or EV spread, that gives them an advantage over the standard set. Often times, if this set is determined to be viable, it will simply warrant a mention in set comments or other options.

[SET]
name: Chople Darkrai
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Void
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Chople Berry
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

Often times, people rely on Taunt Mewtwo to stop the Wobbuffet + Darkrai combination, thus this set takes advantage of this reliance via the use of the Fighting resist berry. With a Chople Berry, even Choice Specs Mewtwo will be unable to OHKO Darkrai with Aura Sphere, while Darkrai will defeat Mewtwo with a +2 Dark Pulse if it switches in as Darkrai uses Nasty Plot. A Deoxys-A with Life Orb and 4 Attack EVs will deal 73.05% - 86.17% to Darkrai with Superpower; a massive amount of damage, but Darkrai can prevent being revenged killed if it is at near full health.

Example 2: The Concept
Sometimes, you may test some concepts, and realize they seem to work. Only one problem; you can’t seem to settle down on an EV spread and/or item! That’s okay, just post what you tested, and ask for help!

[SET]
name: Mixed Metagross
move 1: Grass Knot
move 2: Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch / Earthquake
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake / Bullet Punch
move 4: Explosion
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
nature: Hasty
evs: mentioned below

Okay, I know this set is getting in the analysis in some form, but I am unsure what the main EV spread, nature, and item is going to be, because I have lots to test! The idea of this set is to simply do a massive amount of damage to one of the most common Metagross switch-ins, Groudon (and Kyogre for one EV spread!), and to a lesser extant Hidden Power Fire for Forretress (I didn’t use this nearly as much though, because I was testing this Metagross on Rain Teams most often times). I have tested two variations of this set so far: A Hasty Metagross with 252 Attack / 36 Special Attack / 216 Speed with an Expert Belt, and a Hasty Metagross with 42 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 216 Speed. The first variation has just enough Special Attack to 2HKO most Groudon with Grass Knot, while the Second variation was able to 2HKO even max HP Kyogre 87.49% of the time when taking Leftovers Recover into account (Stealth Rock will guarantee a 2HKO)! Both EV spreads have enough Speed to outspeed the standard RP Groudon before the boost with a 30 IV in Speed (for HP Fire). While the sets worked pretty well for me, I feel that I need to test a bunch of more bulky alternatives, and Shuca Berry until I determine what the main EV spread will be.

Example 3: Proposing a set before testing it
So, you just thought of an intriguing set to test, but what if you want some feedback on it before you get to the testing stage? Making teams can sometimes be difficult for some people, so proposing an untested set can be helpful in case there are better EV spreads, moves to use, or if someone has actually tested the set before! YOU MUST STATE THAT YOU HAVE NOT TESTED THE SET WHEN YOU DO THIS! You should also intend on testing the set yourself if you are proposing it! Make sure you explain why you are testing the set, posting a set you are going to test with no explanation is a really poor way to go about proposing sets before testing them.

locopoke

Banned deucer.

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

lead mewtwo; i use this i love it

it's pretty simple, all he does is attack, he has a super effective move for all of the common leads which is so great especially with his high speed and spa. most figure that any mewtwo lead is a scarf/trick set so they try to predict around it but then they realize that im running all attacks, at this point it's usually too late though and mewtwo has probably landed at least one KO

lum is a good item so that scarf darkrai doesn't sleep you but then you fail to KO with aura sphere, and LO helps you do more damage to other leads so i'd reccomend using that with this set. the evs allow mewtwo to outrun non-scarf darkrai and the hp evs give him enough bulk to avoid being 2hko'd by scarfkrai's dark pulse (timid)

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Yeah, I remember the using a ScarfTwo in order to check the ScarfRias back when they were one of the most popular leads; although, they are still popular right now. While I haven't tested this set yet, I think that Lum Berry is the best item for it due to being able to scout whether or not that lead Darkrai has a scarf - your team should have a way to take the sleep after it's locked into that attack - or one of those NP ones that pretend to be scarfed. In addition, you can GK lead Groudon for a 2HKO while they Thunder Wave you thinking that you are scarfed.

Anyways, I plan to test this set when I get on the Uber ladder (most likely taking the spot of my Deoxys-f).

Giratina-O@Griseous orb
252 atk/112 SpA/144 Spe Mild nature (+ SpA, -SpD)

-Dragon claw/Outrage
-Draco meteor/Dragon pulse
-Hp fire
-Thunder/stone edge
The speed evs allow Giratina-O to outspeed Rock polish groudon before his boost, and 2hko with dragon pulse with stealth rock, or outright kill it with draco meteor with a layer of spikes and stealth rock down. Dragon claw still allows the clean 2hko on standard Blissey, with Outrage giving a clean 2hko on max hp/min def Kyogre. Stone edge can be tacked on the set, as the main targets of thunder are murdered by the dragon moves, it also disposes of Ho-oh when sunlight is out, something that thunder fails to do.

ポケットモンスター

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/deoxys-a

[SET]
Name: CounterCoat Deoxys
Move 1: Counter
Move 2: Mirror Coat
Move 3: Taunt/Protect
Move 4: SuperPower/Brick Break
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant/Lonely/Naughty
EVs: 128 HP/146 Attack/236 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is meant to be used as a Lead (as most Deoxys-A are), as to not let Stealth Rocks and Spikes ruin your fun. This takes people’s normal perception that Deoxys-A is a sweeper that they have to dispatch early on and turns it against them. When they attack you, send it right back at the two-fold with Mirror Coat or Counter. Now this will take some prediction to determine which one to use. If you happen to choose wrong then you will probably lose your chance to use this effectively.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Protect allows for a more accurate decision on whether to use Mirror Coat or Counter, however it does give a hint to the type of Deoxys-A you are running. Also, you lose the ability to counter Wobbufett and keep pokes from setting up on you.</p>

<p>While SuperPower does have a stronger starting strength, it will wither away with each use. However, this Deoxys is not going to last too long. SuperPower would be a better choice for a one time attack, but if you think you will use it more than once choose Brick Break.</p>

[EVs]
<p>With 128 HP EVs Deoxys-A hits 273 HP. When hit with almost any attack, it will lose 272 thanks to Focus Sash. When using CounterCoat it will do 544 damage which is able to OHKO every pokemon excluding Blissey, Chansey, and Wobbufett. With 236 EVs Deoxys-A hits a Speed of 395, allowing it to outspeed all Non-scarfed pokemon excluding Deoxys-S (E), Deoxys-A (FR), Deoxys (R/S), Ninjask, and Electrode. The rest of the EVs are pumped into attack, as it is the only other stat you will be using.</p>

[Counters]
<p>This will have trouble with other Sashed Deoxys-A. Most Deoxys-A will be able to outspeed you. Because of this after both of the Sashes have been used, then the other Deoxys-A will be able to finish you off before you can do the same.</p>

<p>If you are using Protect over Taunt, then Wobbufett has the ability to out-stall you as long as it isn’t using Destiny Bond.</p>

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

lead mewtwo; i use this i love it

it's pretty simple, all he does is attack, he has a super effective move for all of the common leads which is so great especially with his high speed and spa. most figure that any mewtwo lead is a scarf/trick set so they try to predict around it but then they realize that im running all attacks, at this point it's usually too late though and mewtwo has probably landed at least one KO

lum is a good item so that scarf darkrai doesn't sleep you but then you fail to KO with aura sphere, and LO helps you do more damage to other leads so i'd reccomend using that with this set. the evs allow mewtwo to outrun non-scarf darkrai and the hp evs give him enough bulk to avoid being 2hko'd by scarfkrai's dark pulse (timid)
I used to use a very similiar mewtwo on one of my teams over the summer. I cannot remember the EVs, but i know it was modest so that grass knot would KO pretty much all groudon (i had multiple ways to deal with darkrai). The thing is that it works very well the first time or two, but once your opponent knows its moveset the surprise is over and its somewhat of an inferior lead.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/deoxys-a

[SET]
Name: CounterCoat Deoxys
Move 1: Counter
Move 2: Mirror Coat
Move 3: Taunt/Protect
Move 4: SuperPower/Brick Break
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant/Lonely/Naughty
EVs: 128 HP/146 Attack/236 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is meant to be used as a Lead (as most Deoxys-A are), as to not let Stealth Rocks and Spikes ruin your fun. This takes people’s normal perception that Deoxys-A is a sweeper that they have to dispatch early on and turns it against them. When they attack you, send it right back at the two-fold with Mirror Coat or Counter. Now this will take some prediction to determine which one to use. If you happen to choose wrong then you will probably lose your chance to use this effectively.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Protect allows for a more accurate decision on whether to use Mirror Coat or Counter, however it does give a hint to the type of Deoxys-A you are running. Also, you lose the ability to counter Wobbufett and keep pokes from setting up on you.</p>

<p>While SuperPower does have a stronger starting strength, it will wither away with each use. However, this Deoxys is not going to last too long. SuperPower would be a better choice for a one time attack, but if you think you will use it more than once choose Brick Break.</p>

[EVs]
<p>With 128 HP EVs Deoxys-A hits 273 HP. When hit with almost any attack, it will lose 272 thanks to Focus Sash. When using CounterCoat it will do 544 damage which is able to OHKO every pokemon excluding Blissey, Chansey, and Wobbufett. With 236 EVs Deoxys-A hits a Speed of 395, allowing it to outspeed all Non-scarfed pokemon excluding Deoxys-S (E), Deoxys-A (FR), Deoxys (R/S), Ninjask, and Electrode. The rest of the EVs are pumped into attack, as it is the only other stat you will be using.</p>

[Counters]
<p>This will have trouble with other Sashed Deoxys-A. Most Deoxys-A will be able to outspeed you. Because of this after both of the Sashes have been used, then the other Deoxys-A will be able to finish you off before you can do the same.</p>

<p>If you are using Protect over Taunt, then Wobbufett has the ability to out-stall you as long as it isn’t using Destiny Bond.</p>
From my point of view, I think that extreme speed is more useful that any other offensive move since this set's purpose is to take out opponent leads. Taunt definately over protect, otherways you will be set up bite. This is a very interesting (and frustrating sometimes) set.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Here is a Rayquaza set that COULD possibly work. I have not tested this yet, but...

Rayquaza @ Haban Berry
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 SAtk
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Overheat

Simple Concept:

Okay here's the deal - what's DDRay's most common check? It is none other than Scarf Palkia himself, and with Haban Berry, Rayquaza can easily survive a Spacial Rend and get in another Dragon Dance, then kill Palkia with Outrage (or EQ if it's weakened enough...say at 75% or so). Or you can outright kill it if you don't want to take more risk against some other factor. Just watch out for Draco Meteor if you have taken SR damage, though.

An added bonus to this set is that it doesn't get worn down every turn it attacks. I find that Rayquaza is sometimes handled by letting Life Orb drain its own health while the defender switches around to absorb its assaults. A +2 Attack from Rayquaza is also slightly stronger than +1 and Life Orb. Also, unlike Garchomp, it can pull of another stat up to get +2 in both attack and speed, rather than just +2 and then having to kill Palkia right after (yes this means your Darkrai or Mewtwo can't revenge me!).
Defeating Scarfkia can also open up a Kyogre/Darkrai sweep.

Theorymon, you said before that people sometimes cry when DDMence outruns their Scarf Palkia in a speed tie. I wonder how this works...(watch out for priority!)

Bringing in a Wobbuffet can help around Choice Band Bullet Punches that Scizor throws around. This not only gets rid of their priority user, but also probably their Dragon resist. And thus, if the opponent thinks they've gotten you dead by sending in their Scarfkia and Wobb has been dented well enough by Scizor so that it's not going to take another hit, well sucks to be them I guess...

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like the idea Jibaku, but just a word of warning: according to my damage calcs, the combined damage from Spacial Rend and Stealth Rock will put Rayquaza under 25%, meaning that Rayquaza is screwed if the opponent has a priority user and Stealth Rock, so elimnaitng Scizor and friends is likely to be even more improtant than usual for this Rayquaza.

Anyways, aldaron is too lazy to post so I'm posting this set for him. I haven't used this set in ages, so I will have to test it again. aldaron has tested this set quite a bit though, and has said that it may even deserve a peer edit in the future!

[SET]
name: Mixed Bulk Up Dialga
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Flamethrower
item: Life Orb
nature: Hasty
evs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

The idea of this set is to Bulk Up on something that Dialga can scare out (like Forretress or maybe a Blissey). The opponent may think you are a BU Dialga without leftovers, and switch to Groudon. The Groudon would stay in because of Bulk Up, only to get slammed by a Draco Meteor, and Dialga still has a boosted Dragon Claw to at least do a reasonable amount of damage. aldaron told me that he didnt use Flamethrower much, but I assume that its for Forretress and Scizor. I will probably end up testing Outrage over Dragon Claw, and a Mild nature. I might also try a bulkier, Quiet version, but geting outsped by Groudon sounds like a bummer even when it may not OHKO. I'll update with some alternate EV spreads to test later.
ポケットモンスター

I have not tested this.
SET: SubRoost Lugia
~Substitute
~Roost
~Toxic
~Ice Beam
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Nature: Calm
Item: Leftovers
The idea of this set is poison everything, then use Lugia's mastery in defending to Sub, then use Toxic if it's not poisoned, Ice Beam if it is, and Roost if you're low on HP. Use other Pokemon to take care of those steels and Blissey.

I have not tested this.
SET: SubRoost Lugia
~Substitute
~Roost
~Toxic
~Ice Beam
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Nature: Calm
Item: Leftovers
The idea of this set is poison everything, then use Lugia's mastery in defending to Sub, then use Toxic if it's not poisoned, Ice Beam if it is, and Roost if you're low on HP. Use other Pokemon to take care of those steels and Blissey.
Invest enough speed to outspeed Garchomp, that's minimum. You don't want to switch Lugia in and for example get killed by +2 Stone Edge or Outrage from Garchomp. Heck, even SDQuaza outspeeds you easily, which is even worse. Unfortunately you need 192 Speed EVs and positive nature to outspeed Jolly Chomp, but really, it's neccesary. Lugia main strentgh as a physical wall in Ubers isn't good defensive stat, but her good enough 110 speed. In other words I would go with 252 HP/192 Spe/64 Def Bold and I would consider in one of slots Whirlwind as Lugia has good enough defences and speed to abuse it.

I used that Kyogre with great success.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/56 SAtk/200 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Rest
- Roar/Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

That`s the Boosting Tank set with a twist, the EV`s are placed into Special Defence, not into Defence, that allows allows it to use Rest without Sleep Talk with being (almost) unstopable on the Special side of the Spectrum, Roar is obviously there for beating Latias, other CM Kyogres, BU Dialga, Rayquaza (when it dances) - that stuff.

It is good in stall in offence - you can bring in something like Giratina on stall teams when your opponent sends in a powerful physical attacker.

I wanted to test this but my Shoddy seems to be bugged because I can't give Ho-oh Brave Bird so I didn't test it :(

Forretress @ Light Clay
EVs and Natures are up to you, but if you use Payback give it some attack EVs to do 33 % min.

-Rapid Spin
-Reflect/Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Light Screen
-Spikes/Payback/Toxic Spikes

Most of people who use Forry use it mostly because of Rapid Spin. And they give it S and TS because it gets them... But are they better than R and LS? Especially when you have Light Clay. Anyway it is played like a classic Forry, switch in on Jirachi/Registeel/Lugia/Blissey/[insert some other Pokes that wall Specs Palkis/Dialga] and set up. If they switch into Giratina-A, just set up LS and proceed to set up(shouldn't be threatening even if it has CM). If they switch in Gira-O, set up a screen and either beat it with Payback(if you are using rain in your team) or go to Ho-oh/Palkia/Lati@s/Dialga (if you are using a Groudon). Spikes/TS are there so you can set up on Wobb, so it can't stay in forever to get Leftovers recovery.

I wanted to test this but my Shoddy seems to be bugged because I can't give Ho-oh Brave Bird so I didn't test it :(

Forretress @ Light Clay
EVs and Natures are up to you, but if you use Payback give it some attack EVs to do 33 % min.

-Rapid Spin
-Reflect/Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Light Screen
-Spikes/Payback/Toxic Spikes

Most of people who use Forry use it mostly because of Rapid Spin. And they give it S and TS because it gets them... But are they better than R and LS? Especially when you have Light Clay. Anyway it is played like a classic Forry, switch in on Jirachi/Registeel/Lugia/Blissey/[insert some other Pokes that wall Specs Palkis/Dialga] and set up. If they switch into Giratina-A, just set up LS and proceed to set up(shouldn't be threatening even if it has CM). If they switch in Gira-O, set up a screen and either beat it with Payback(if you are using rain in your team) or go to Ho-oh/Palkia/Lati@s/Dialga (if you are using a Groudon). Spikes/TS are there so you can set up on Wobb, so it can't stay in forever to get Leftovers recovery.

To be honest, the set seems extremely outclassed by other dual screeners, as Forretress has no unique niche to differentiate itself. Latios has momento, to go with dual screens effectively forcing the enemy to switch. Mewtwo has taunt, and the boom move. Uxie has excellent bulk, especially behind screens, not to mention Momento. Deoxys-S has the fastest taunt. First off, without an attack, it becomes set up bait for most ubers, especially those with taunt, as rapid spin does effectively no damage. Jirachi would just wish or trick choice scarf, Registeel is extremely rare in ubers, Lugia would whirlwind, Blissey would just abuse S-toss, since 4 will kill you. Giratina-O's mixed set still does a ton of damage with thunder if raining, hp fire would roast you if not, Groudon makes the job even easier if you're running Ho-oh.

But we should note that Forretress can use screens fairly well. Its just that using Dual Screens to support an offensive team should not be its main goal because it makes you a worse Bronzong, really. The idea is that screens are a luxury to help it setup hazards or help its team members counter threats, not to go for a sweep.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From my point of view, I think that extreme speed is more useful that any other offensive move since this set's purpose is to take out opponent leads. Taunt definately over protect, otherways you will be set up bite. This is a very interesting (and frustrating sometimes) set.
What would ExtremeSpeed be placed over though? You need SuperPower or else you have no way to deal with Darkrai or Blissey. I guess it could maybe go over taunt.

But Forry can Rapid Spin... how can it be worse?

(quitting this discussion as it is still theorymon)
Well, Forry's access to Rapid Spin makes it a solid candidate for stall and balanced teams for obvious reasons. But why should it be used for screening over Bronzong, who has superior typing, useful resistances, and way better special defense? Instead, we should play up Forry's strengths, which are laying all manner of entry hazards. Use Reflect and Light Screen as a luxury on your team, not as a central strategy. For example, if you use Reflect, then suddenly Blissey can easily wall Palkia no matter what it does, and Groudon can own Rayquaza. If you use Light Screen, then it makes Forry an excellent counter to Giratina-O (bar HP Fire variants) and neuters things like SpecsOgre so Blissey can handle them. Suddenly, Giratina and Groudon are phazing threats better than they could have before. 5 turns isn't a long time, but its still enough to do what you need to do.

[SET]
name: Scarf Groudon
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Fire Punch/ Overheat/ Eruption
move 4: ThunderWave/ Shadow Claw
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Admant/ Jolly/ Hasty
evs: 4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed

Strange I know, but one day I figured, if Kyogre can do it, why not Groudon? Admittedly Groudon does not have a base 150 move that favors its better physical attack stat at its disposal, but it does have STAB EQ, something that only one other uber boasts, and Groudon has 20 more base Atk points than Garchomp, so boosting is not as necessary for high powered attacking. This set is actually very, very effective once flyers and levitators are out of the way, and I have used it late game to finish off teams. When teamed up with Gravity Blissey, this thing is even more of a monster with its STAB. Specs Mewtwo also makes a good partner, because it already has speed and hammers the enemy from one side of the spectrum while Groudon makes up for its lackluster speed with a scarf and hammers at the opposing team physically.

EQ is for STAB, Stone Edge is for coverage. The fire moves are listed to prevent flying steels and Scizor from walling you. The natures accompany their respective moves and speed vs. power preferences one might have. ThunderWave is to cripple what would be faster sweepers to help out the team, though Shadow Claw is viable for the likes of ubiquitous psychics and Giratina-O especially.

Some say that this is just a wannabe Rock Polish set, but I think it serves a different purpose to clean rather than sweep. Like all choice sets, this one requires prediction, but it is well worth it if one can pull it off.

ஜஜஜஜஜ

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There are a few things that hold Scarf Groudon back.

First of all Scarf Earthquake is nothing spectacular (unless you get gravity down, but then again there's CB Groudon which literally tears up teams during the period). You have Rayquaza, Lugia, Ho-oh, Lati@s, Giratina-O, and Shaymin-S being completely immune to it, so you can't throw that around like candy, and it doesn't have anywhere as much power as Kyogre's Water Spout, and is even more of a Wobbuffet bait (considering that Wobbuffet is actually a common Groudon switch in). Groudon also lacks STAB Dragon Claw unlike Garchomp, and doesn't outrun DDRay or Scarf Palkia. Although Scarf Dialga may not outrun these threats, it has extremely powerful, almost unresisted STAB. Aside from Earthquake, Groudon's moves are overall pretty weak

What's the point of Scarf Thunder Wave on the set? You are asking for Wobbuffet to kill you/set up on you unscathed and other Groudons to set up. You are forced to switch on the next turn against anything. Not to mention you are already fast with Scarf - you don't need to slow down the opponent

Also Dragon Claw needs to be slashed in at least. Hits Lati@s, Palkia, Giratina, Giratina-O, Garchomp, and Rayquaza (if you don't want to bank on stone miss) harder than the rest of his moves.

IMO Scarf Groudon is outclassed by Scarf Garchomp, who is much faster and has Dragon STAB. Groudon's only real advantages are not getting OHKOed by Ice Beam and Dragon Pulse, and Drought (which may be huge in itself but do you really need to make Groudon a Scarfer??)

I have not tested this.
SET: Support Mew
~Stealth Rock
~Thunder Wave (recommended)/Will-O-Wisp/Hypnosis
~Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp (recommended)/Hypnosis
~U-turn
EV's: 248 HP/252 Spd/8SpDef
Nature:Jolly
Item: Wide Lens/Leftovers
Mew is normally seen as a Baton Passer, so this set allows you to cripple things with your status moves by hitting the phazers on their way in. You can also set up SR when they come in. U-turn is there so you aren't ruined by Taunt and is better than switching.

I have not tested this.
~Stealth Rock
~U-turn
Mew is normally seen as a Baton Passer, so this set allows you to cripple things with your status moves by hitting the phazers on their way in. You can also set up SR when they come in. U-turn is there so you aren't ruined by Taunt and is better than switching.
U-turn without much investment won't do much, this is essentially set up bait for anything not weak/bulky users of Substitute, or even taunt, even Mewtwo, who is weak to U-turn takes only 1/3 damage. and non-baton pass Mews are pretty obvious when your first move isn't a boosting one.

I have not tested this.
~Stealth Rock
~U-turn
phazers aren`t going to switch into mew, as it can taunt them.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have not tested this.
~Stealth Rock
~U-turn
Theres actually already a set sort of like this in the mew analysis and it works quite well; its called the Double Status set. You can see a writeup of it in the mew update in C&C.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)