Other Unofficial Metagames Premier League - Week 1

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
1618777197918.png

Discord | UMPL sheet

Amazing Art by Pujo
Tournament hosted by Apagogie, cromagnet, and Jett
Commencement | Administrative Decisions
Welcome to the first edition of Unofficial Metagames Premier League (UMPL)! This is an all-out team tournament among players from 1v1, Anything Goes, ZU, and NFE, who will compete in a 5-week round robin. The top 3 teams will then move on to playoffs, where the winning team will be crowned UMPL champions!

Here's a few things to remember:
- A replay / log must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
- General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must save a log of the match. All matches are best of one, except for 1v1 slots, which are best of five.

We reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

To protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer.

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules.

1618777976368.png
1618777489649.png
1618777963425.png

(4) The Aesthetic Articuno vs. The Star Road Lunala (4)
SS 1v1: Potatochan vs BlanchedAlmond
SS 1v1: Yami vs D2TheW
SS AG: WSun1 vs Shivam3299
SS AG: Bread Sandwich vs lotiasite
SS NFE: tlenit vs King Leo V
SS NFE: professor tox vs xavgb
SS ZU: 5gen vs czim
SS ZU: Quagg vs Aaronboyer

1618778003591.png
1618778024128.png
1618778050141.png

(6) The Gliding Grookey vs. The Zealous Zweilous (2)
SS 1v1: Itchyy vs Mishlef
SS 1v1: Close vs Maki
SS AG: Fardin vs Fc
SS AG: PinkDragonTamer vs 64 Squares
SS NFE: Monsareeasy vs Greybaum
SS NFE: frisoeva vs pileosand
SS ZU: EviGaro vs Landon
SS ZU: TJ vs pattek

1618778294502.png
1618778297371.png
1618778309609.png

(3) The Mankey Monkes vs. We Sawk! (5)
SS 1v1: Bopher vs smely socks
SS 1v1: Scraftionite vs Mubs
SS AG: Royal1604 vs Geysers
SS AG: Pannuracotta vs Guard
SS NFE: Skysolo vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d
SS NFE: Fille vs Rav3ndan
SS ZU: a fruitshop owner vs Feliburn
SS ZU: yovan33321 vs daniYSB
Deadline is April 25 at 11:59 PM EST

Attachments

Last edited:

Fardin

Tournament Banned
AG: WSun1 vs Shivam3299 - kinda heat mu. Both solid players, tho unless shivam gets a godly mu, I can't really see him besting wsun. Nonetheless, should be a fun one
AG: Bread Sandwich vs lotiasite - this mu is also interesting. Playing wise I think they are pretty equal but I'm gonna have to give agl the edge here cause I believe this game will be decided in the builder

AG: Royal1604 vs Geysers - Heat mu. Geyser can obviously build better teams than royal, but royal got pannu by his side so that area is covered. As far as playing wise goes, royal is imo far better so I'm gonna have to go with him.
AG: Pannuracotta vs Guard - probably the mu I'm looking forward to the most. Guard has more experience in ag but I think both are relatively equal in the building department. When it comes to playing tho, I definitely have to give this to guard.

bea

I COULD BEA BANNED!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator
1v1 predicts
:Articuno: 0-2 :Lunala:
SS 1v1: Potatochan vs BlanchedAlmond this man will go 5-0
SS 1v1: Yami vs D2TheW Predicting d2 has never went wrong
:Grookey: 1-1 :Zweilous:
SS 1v1: Itchyy vs Mishlef
SS 1v1: Close vs Maki
as Fragments said, Playing grookeys in 1v1 is like playing russian roulette either you get Itchy and are safe or you get Close and die
:Mankey: 2-0 :Sawk:
SS 1v1: Bopher vs smely socks Bopher will outbuild
SS 1v1: Scraftionite vs Mubs Scraftionite is the 1v1 Circuit Champion for a reason so as long as he cares and Bopher passes teams he should win

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor
pileo predicts mk I:

tlenit vs King Leo V - tlenit beat me in nfe open so he is obviously broken, and its not playoffs so the leo superweapon has not charged yet

professor tox vs xavgb - hate to bet against tox but stresh is just too good, though i do believe this is closer than most people would think, tox is mega underrated. would love to see tox prove me wrong and grab the dub

Skysolo vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d - i hate to not pick a winner, but ive honestly no clue who has the edge here, both very strong players and this could definitely go either way

ojr vs Rav3ndan - i do not believe in ojr yet, however would not be surprised if he proves me wrong here.

this nfe pool is very stacked, i expect good games every week, exciting tour

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
nfe predicts

SS NFE: tlenit vs King Leo V <- genuinely a 50/50 tlenit obv has some really good recent results in nfe and leo has had good consistency historically in team tours. leaning slightly towards tlenit but no idea tbh i haven't seen enough of either to make a good judgement
SS NFE: professor tox vs xavgb <- no comment lol

SS NFE: 85percent vs Greybaum <- both are more than capable of winning this one, id give the edge in building to 85 but i think greybaum has the edge in the game simply due to having more recent high-level tour experience
SS NFE: frisoeva vs pileosand <- friso is obviously a solid top 3/4 nfe player, and while he hasn't played any nfe recently (to my knowledge) i think he still has the edge here in raw playing ability. i wouldn't discount pileo at all though, they've had recent tour success and can take this if they come with a solid team and are in the right head space

SS NFE: Skysolo vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d <- a tossup here tbh, but i'd probably give the edge here slightly to skysolo just because i think they have a higher ceiling than ho3n. both are still solid though and this can go either way
SS NFE: ojr vs Rav3ndan <- while both have good nfe support and can play well, i think rav has a higher floor than ojr and will probably take the W. still close tho

Last edited:
SS ZU: 5gen vs czim : cool hl for a week 1, close battle here but czim is superior in all points
SS ZU: Quagg vs Aaronboyer : does aaronboyer play again?

SS ZU: EviGaro vs Landon : landon is a good zu player, but evigaro has a better ingame
SS ZU: TJ vs pattek : i don't know pattek
85percent vs Greybaum: why this isnt a zu pairing omg

kolohe

room tone
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
first time doing predictions :O
these are prettttyyy uninformed, just guesses based off of what i remember or have seen before

[SS 1v1: Potatochan vs BlanchedAlmond] don't know who either of them are
[SS 1v1: Yami vs D2TheW]
--
[SS 1v1: Itchyy vs Mishlef] can't pick
[SS 1v1: Close vs Maki]
--
[SS 1v1: Bopher vs smely socks] i think bopher is the better player here, but smely is a super good builder and could bring something cool
[SS 1v1: Scraftionite vs Mubs] scraftionite is really really good, i think this is too tough for mubs as much as i want to bold him ^^ ;;

1618804559152.png

go mankeys!

SS 1v1: Itchyy vs Mishlef - mishlef is a good picker with consistent prep
SS 1v1: Close vs Maki - maki will hax like rilla vs arcanine or some shit

SS 1v1: Bopher vs smely socks - heavily in bopher’s favour as long as he doesn’t underestimate the eblurb ss prep
SS 1v1: Scraftionite vs Mubs - mubs is surely eager to win a tour game and I can’t see scraftionite being that motivated

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Really good pairings. Time to make my unbiased predictions for ZU:

SS ZU - 5gen vs czim
Really good first battle and a tough one to decide between two veterans council members with unorthodox approachs of the teambuilding. I give the edge to czim because as long as he doesn't meme, his builds are generally more consistent and well-rounded. This will be a close one though.
SS ZU - Quagg vs Aaronboyer
This one shouldn't be as close. Quagg is an extremely good player with absurd winrates in tours he joined, who is familiarized with the current ZU metagame and even if it's not SM, he stays globally one of our best players at the moment. On the other hand, I don't think that Aaron plays current ZU at all. I would have more seen hys as player with Aaron as support/general advisor honestly. Upsets are always possible though but it would be surprising for this one.

SS ZU - EviGaro vs Landon
Really difficult one to decide. Landon is generally more experienced in ZU in being the winner of our last seasonal and a good builder overall. That doesn't mean a lot that being said if the opponent is a great pilot of builds made by others. With both BloodAce & 85percent in the team of Grookey, I don't doubt that the team played by EviGaro will be as good as what can offer the zweilous player. It will be a really interesting battle to watch.
SS ZU - TJ vs pattek
Zealous Zweilous forgot to buy an other ZU slot so pattek has the difficult task to fight TJ who, even if he is not specially familiar with ZU, can quickly learn metagames and is a better player overral for what I know. TJ can specially rely on BloodAce for advices and to test so he has a better chance here. Blood Ace + Evigaro/TJ is probably top1/top2 in terms of ZU rankings in this tour if BA doesn't choke the preparation.

SS ZU - a fruitshop owner vs Feliburn
It's closer that what people may think. Even if blalib is not the most active zu player in the metagame, he stays a good competitor in tournaments and a battle against him is never a free win. However, Feliburn is a better player overall and has more support in the We Sawk team with Tuthur/Dani/Beksel/Rav3ndan that blalib can ask since yovan's teams only work if played by yovan.
SS ZU - yovan33321 vs daniYSB
Again a close one. I give the edge to yovan here because dani often relies on cheese playstyle like stall/rain to win games and yovan often magically finds perfect counterteams with his unorthodox teambuilding approach to these playstyles. I expect the battle to be decided at team preview according to what players bring.

Last edited:
NFE predictssssssss :mad:

SS NFE: Tlenit vs King Leo V (30/70)
Both of them are excellent players of their own rights, but there's a difference between them in NFE. Tlenit has obviously had a recent performance getting in finals at NFE Open 2021 with some good wins, but Leo has historically had better performances & results when it comes to NFE by a mile. They can build their own teams but appreciates a lot by support. Looking at the supporters in each team, Lunala has way better support despite the Articunos's NFE support are good as well. Tlenit's team could be built from his own to make himself unpredictable, but more than likely supported by Tox/Quag. Leo will definitely have teams build from Xavgb/Hys, and that's all fine because they are the best builders in NFE rn. Tlenit can still win bc he's a good player, but Leo is a strong favorite to win here.

SS NFE: Professor Tox vs Xavgb (40/60)
Oddly exciting matchup. I saw Tox giving hands to Xavgb at ladder reqs tho so I don't believe it's hella skewed kek. For the matchup itself, Tox has a cool advantage by having a different teambuilding playstyle compared to everyone. Xavgb builds his teams with a lot of sense and strong optimization but his playstyle is still similar to everyone else. Tox is more of a bold rushdown player willing to go for it as long it makes sense for her; she's more instinctive. Xavgb is calculated with making plays with meanings, but a player that prefers longevity and slower gameplay. This makes the match either Tox is able to break down Xavgb or Xavgb's defense walls her out and she grows impatient. Xavgb is a better player and NFE favors his playstyle over her. But Tox has the factor of having a playstyle Xavgb hasn't faced in NFE so much, and she clearly understands how defense in NFE works. And Tox is underrated, that's why I don't think this will be so one-sided at all. It's gonna be an interesting match, that's for sure.

SS NFE: 85percent vs Greybaum (45/55)
85% has better teams, while Greybaum is a better NFE player and he has played more than 85%. I'll admit though that I've little knowledge on 85% as a player since it's been a while I've seen him playing NFE at all. So I'm glad to see him playing. But with that said, I think Greybaum is going to win, but it's not going to be easy. Greybaum hasn't any bad teams here, but I've personally don't vibe with his builds and I find 85percent teams having excellent partners that blend well with each other. Greybaum as a player tho, I can't point out exactly what he is but I really like it. Reflects well with his teambuilding and using the health % very diligent. And he has more recent experience over 85%. If at all, I was surprised Arctic or Bloodace didn't play over 85%. Them with 85% support would make a solid core. However I'm excited that 85% is playing, and I'm cheering for both of them. Good luck to both of you two =)

SS NFE: frisoeva vs pileosand (58/42)
Frisoeva has always performed well at NFE, and is able to take wins over the top players. While Pileosand is a recent NFE mainer and has been overlooked when talking about NFE players. I don't know her history as a player on other tiers, but in NFE I think she's underrated.
With that said Frisoeva is a player that doesn't disappoint, although I think he's kinda a little out of touch on the current meta. Good thing he has 85% and Bloodace to help him real quick. Pileosand has good support from Greybaum and CrazyStevy so it's not one-sided in the support part. I lack a conclusion on Friso and Pileo playstyle, but funny enough both of them have used unusual pokemon in their teams before. So I'm very curious what they will bring upon this weekend. Or they will just bring normal teams as they're able to do that lol. This is going to be a close match, even if I believe Friso will win. GL on both :>

SS NFE: Skysolo vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d (45/55)
These fuckers have the stupidest hax I've seen in NFE. Thank god both of them are excellent players.
Ho3n has an advantage over Skysolo for having slightly advantage at everything in NFE. Better teams, better variety, more experience, etc. Hell in recent times Ho3n has played a different type of playstyles that I've no idea what the types of teams he will bring. Skysolo will probably follow the trend and use the usual, but good enough NFE teams. It would be fine since Skysolo has had success with it, and with good support, he will be all good. But Ho3n is kinda built differently, and Ho3n could make the very anti-meta type of teams. But that's whatever, I'm more interested in who will have the better hax. I think it will be a close match, but very chaotic too.
Good luck.

SS NFE: ojr vs Rav3ndan (30/70)
I have literally not seen Ojr on any NFE related stuff after NFEPL IV and that VR noms(cool post btw), while Rav3 has been established enough in NFE community. I know Ojr is a good player, but good players ain't always enough to win. And I think Rav3 is good as a player, and he's solid in NFE. I just can't see the advantages Ojr has over Rav3 when it comes to NFE. I believe you can upset Rav3, but it's just I've too little information about you as an NFE player so I'm more confident on Rav3. Good thing you have good NFE support, just like Rav3 has himself.
I don't have enough experience with their builds or playstyles so I'll refrain from talking about it. I've no idea who will win, but I'm predicting Rav3 to win simple as that.

The NFE player pool is extremely stacked. It shows that the manager knows NFE more than the other tiers. This isn't too surprising when you see that half of the teams are experienced NFE players themself, and the other half has at least played nfe before. I'm excited to see some upsets and some good ass quality matches. I'll say that letting Leo, Hys, and Xavgb being in the same group together is beyond broken. How did yall let that happen? Otherwise, this tournament is hype af.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)