Unpopular opinions

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think I've come up with an opinion that may actually be unpopular: I kind-of like the idea behind Kalos Route 13, also known as Lumiose Badlands.

To refresh your memory, this is the Kalos desert route with Pokémon burrowing underground, and near-constant wind. The Pokémon home in on you when you move, but they move slower than you, so you can avoid them. In theory.

You see, I find it plausible that somebody wanted to expand this concept for overworld encounters, and used this one route in Kalos as an experiment. After all, a very similar system seems to become the norm in Pokémon Let's Go, and it makes sense that it was used in X and Y to collect player feedback - doing it in SM or USUM would be too late compared to PLG's development cycle.

However, it looks like somebody tried to actively ensure that the player feedback from Lumiose Badlands would be as negative as possible. Or it was implemented in the stupidest way possible. For whatever reason, the route has constantly blowing wind that makes traversing it a nightmare, half the times you have no way to avoid the encounters. Said encounters pit you against Dugtrio and Trapinch too, both of whom may have Arena Trap to make the battles inescapable unless you lead with a Flying-type. The effect is that the route bombards you with encounters you can neither avoid nor escape, which really puts a damper on the experience and makes Route 13 the most infamous location in Kalos.

It was pretty botched, but I think the idea was solid. The traditional encounters in tall grass or sandy locations feel really random and arbitrary, when you pass through those types of terrain you don't have a reliable way to avoid encounters, and no reliable way to initiate them. Homing Pokémon in the overworld address both issues. When you stand still, so do the Pokémon, so you can sneak away from them once you realize their movement pattern. Rarely, the wind over Route 13 abates, and it becomes a much more tolerable location to visit. Time will tell how its PLG implementation will be to play with.

I feel like being able to catch a Gible that evolves next level almost made up for it. Of course, I question the judgment of whomever decided to fill out the encounter table with both Arena Trappers and give the player an 80% chance of the encounter being inescapable (without a Flier, of course).

Related: I enjoy the idea of nicknaming routes. It helped give each one a bit more personality, especially considering that Kalos would be the second (of three) regions to have its route numbering restarted.

Oh, and there's another underutilized mechanic in there: Natural objects. Remember how using certain spread moves when certain background objects were present in a battle could give you items? Bring that back, too. I know "Kalos was stupidly underdeveloped" is not only popular but an objective fact, but XY had all these little features that could've been kept.

Related: I enjoy the idea of nicknaming routes. It helped give each one a bit more personality, especially considering that Kalos would be the second (of three) regions to have its route numbering restarted.
All the "routes" should probably have real names, like those, and not be numbered. (And obviously the bigger issue is the implausible coincidence that the numbers go in the exact same order as the order the player happens to progress through each region.)

I feel like being able to catch a Gible that evolves next level almost made up for it. Of course, I question the judgment of whomever decided to fill out the encounter table with both Arena Trappers and give the player an 80% chance of the encounter being inescapable (without a Flier, of course).
Not quite; we often forget because it's bad but Dugtrio can also have Sand Veil -- so it's more a 60% chance. Still really atrocious tho.

All the "routes" should probably have real names, like those, and not be numbered. (And obviously the bigger issue is the implausible coincidence that the numbers go in the exact same order as the order the player happens to progress through each region.)
I would point out that there are multiple examples where you don't find routes in the exact same order they're numbered - especially Kanto; where even if you don't do a lot of sequence breaking Nugget Bridge is the last two numbered routes in the region - but semantics and pedantry aside, if they're just going to nickname routes anyway, I don't see much of a reason to number them anymore. Much like evolution levels and methods never changing, it seems like another thing that's just stuck around for no real good reason other than it's what's always been done.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not quite; we often forget because it's bad but Dugtrio can also have Sand Veil -- so it's more a 60% chance. Still really atrocious tho.
Looking it up, it's actually 40 since Trapinch can have Hyper Cutter. So the situation really isn't that dire. Then again, Dugtrio have very high Speed, so it's possible you won't be able to escape the battle regardless of ability. Nevertheless, being thrown into battles isn't very fun even if you can escape them. Also, thankfully the Badlands don't have Sandstorm weather, it just really looks that way.

Still a pretty botched implementation, though. And I agree it makes no sense that named Routes and background objects were dropped after XY. I know Game Freak tries the old excuse of "We want every game to feel unique", but the rest of their business model suggests a game is completely obsolete each time the next one is released. There is no need to make concessions to previous games, to not implement their popular features in any future games just to keep their gimmicks unique. For instance, there's no reason for dynamic background music to be unique to the Gen V games, it's not like Nintendo depends on those games retaining it as a sales gimmick eigth years and two console generations after their release. It could easily have been a mainstay of the Pokémon games by now, but Game Freak apparently didn't want to bother with the hassle for longer than they had to. It doesn't give a very flattering impression of the studio, as if they refuse to take any lessons and begin every generation with the fresh Gen I template, instead of actually building on the innovations they have presented over the years to make every game a bit better than the previous one.

I wonder if the Route 13 Arena Trappers are meant to be some sort of trainer substitute. Team Flare aside, there aren't any regular trainers for you to fight, which is rather unusual (maybe the only one time it happens outside of Route 1? even the ride Pokemon routes have sky battles). So instead of having humans stand in the way of your progress, the idea might've been to create a sort of natural obstacle by combining encounters you have a hard time escaping from with the wind that makes it more difficult to circumvent them in the first place.

Pikachu315111

JAPE Judge!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
The Master Ball is worthless (and I ain't talking about you not being able to sell it).

A new event had been announced in Japan where you get a serial code for USUM that'll give you 100 Poke Balls... BUT some rare cards would give you 99 Poke Balls and 1 Master Ball instead! Oooooh~~... Who cares!

Sure, it has a 100% chance of catching any Pokemon and that's great and all... but you'll only ever get ONE (maybe you'll get another through lottery or an event but I doubt you'll ever get enough to catch a whole team with in one game). Now, in Gen I that was alright as there was only four Legendaries so you use it on the one you have the most problem with. But as the generations went on they added more and more Legendaries that just making one an easier catcher won't save you much frustration. Infact, this has probably led to players to using the Master Ball less as if they're going to catch a majority of Legendaries in another kind of Poke Ball they might as well catch all of them in anything other than the Master Ball. When Poke Ball matching became a thing it made it even less special as now people weren't using it to catch tough Pokemon but rather on Pokemon it matches with, most who wouldn't have been tough to catch in another kind of Poke Ball. Maybe it'll make that Pokemon feel a bit more valuable as you used your one Master Ball on it, but in the grand scheme of things it's being used not as powerful tool to catch Legendaries but instead a decoration accessory; no more special than the other Poke Balls used in that same way.

If anything, the Apricron Poke Balls are more highly prized than a Master Ball is nowadays. Like, if they said that the rare serial code would give a player ten sets of the Apricorn Poke Balls I would actually think more highly of that event. But a Master Ball? Who cares, I already got one and it's only collecting dust and so would any others I got.

The only interesting thing that has been done with Master Balls recently was having the villain leaders in the Rainbow Rocket Episode have all their Pokemon in Master Balls. That was kind of neat.

Master Balls are good for one thing though, shineys. Especially ones with Self-Destruct or Teleport. You get that random one-in-65,000 shot, you don’t want to risk critting it, so yeah, then you use the Master Ball. Otherwise yeah, it’s mostly useless unless you want to save some time with a roaming legend.

My main problem with the Master Ball is that it looks stupid.

Also using it makes me feel like I've cheated somehow. 'Oh, what's wrong, can't catch a legendary in a regular pokéball, loser?' :D

Blue is a terrible rival, and the main reason people like him so much is just nostalgia. Also, people constantly asking for purely just jackass "rivals" and not good ones like Cheren and Hau are incredibly annoying and almost always older people trying to make a children's game into what they would want
I've never seen Blue as necessarily a jackass. He's more of the sort who knows what buttons to push to egg the player character on to keep trying to catch up to him. Silver starts out as a total asshole, but after getting trashed and chewed out by Lance, he starts to change for the better.

Granted, nearly anything is better than the group of friends in X/Y. They don't really grow or develop as characters, even by Pokemon standards, and it's especially apparent after Cheren and Bianca.

Blue is a terrible rival, and the main reason people like him so much is just nostalgia. Also, people constantly asking for purely just jackass "rivals" and not good ones like Cheren and Hau are incredibly annoying and almost always older people trying to make a children's game into what they would want
Hau is a good rival? Since when?

Also I don't particularly like Blue and Silver, but think people want jerk rivals for a change after FIVE consecutive generations of nice rivals. Even the freaking Let's Go games have retconned Blue out and replaced him with a nice rival. It's like GameFreak thinks we can't handle someone mean.

Hau is a good rival? Since when?

Also I don't particularly like Blue and Silver, but think people want jerk rivals for a change after FIVE consecutive generations of nice rivals. Even the freaking Let's Go games have retconned Blue out and replaced him with a nice rival. It's like GameFreak thinks we can't handle someone mean.
I agree. They at least motivate you to kick their butts. Hau is just some weirdo more interested in stuffing his face than actually challenging you.

It depends on the purpose, really -- Cheren and Bianca are better as characters who develop and change, but Blue isn't meant to be that. He's supposed to be someone you really, REALLY want to beat. And he works pretty well for that role.
We shouldn't necessarily judge things on the basis of 'how much development does this character have', but 'how well does this character fulfill their role'. Cheren, Bianca, Hau, Silver and Blue are all valid choices to make for a game and all work well. No point in trying to force a comparison just because they technically fit into a similar category.

And yeah, anything other than all the “nice” rivals. It doesn’t need to be Silver levels of “kick his ass”, but more motivation for the actual battles would be good.
I was just discussing this with a friend last night, we were talking about how in our opinion Blue was actually peak rival because he was perfect levels of Not A Jerk but competitively-oriented, what we think a "rival" should really be. We both like Silver's character development a lot but he is a real ass to you for the first half of the game.

Then we went down the list: May/Brendan has no real presence (and Brendan is ambiguously sexist) - we both forgot about Wally (even though we both like him) because he isn't the rival with a starter
Barry is obnoxious
Cheren and Bianca are good but too friendly for our ideal "rival"
Hugh was also obnoxious
X/Y had the Swarm of Friends and they were all cardboard
Hau was fun but doesn't even really seem to count as a rival, Lillie isn't someone you battle, Gladion is too occasional

so our pick for best rival was Blue lmao. (and I say this as someone with a huge dislike for gen 1 lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)