Unpopular opinions

A system where you climb ranks so you'd always start from the max one, but can *also* keep track of how many wins in a row you've done, would be ideal.
Yeah, this was a minor peeve of mine when it came to Battle Facilities. You'd have to manually remember your record instead of they recording it for you. You think for a mode that emphasizes keeping a winning streak, they would have a score tracker, but no, nothing. What an odd design choice.

The fanbase is kinda confusing to me. Demanding gamefreak take more time while also talking about how the 25th must end with a new game.

"We just want them to show they're doing it to make sure its real" bro remakes are practically free money. They don't need to make anything new and just remake a region and update some stuff and they get 406036 nonilion dollars or something, do you really think theyre gonna go and say "hmmmm not gonna do remakes anymore, I'm tired" or something.

"You can't use patterns because 3rd versions exists" we only had 2 generations that didn't have third versions, and one didn't have it because they wanted a cool new game for the 20th bday (tbf I'll still gladly take sumo over version X lol). Galar is the one that didn't have a proper third version, because it moved to something probably even more proffitable in the long run. But the tradition of "add more content later" is still going, gen 8 just changed the model, its not a complete pattern shift either

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fanbase is kinda confusing to me. Demanding gamefreak take more time while also talking about how the 25th must end with a new game.
to be fair, at some point, the mons fanbase just a really big group of people with inevitable internal factions and disagreements

like sometimes it's different people who want these two things and not the same people being hypocritical

I would definitively prefer something fresh, but I wouldn't mind if we get to play classic Gen 3 and 4 games with their in-game locked events being permanently unlocked.
I think many people would be happy to play their childhood games without restrictions and finally being able to get the Azure Flute to catch Arceus as intended.

Pokemon Crystal VC was as I hoped with the Celebi Event being finally obtainable.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Adding on to what Finland said, you can't always group an entire population who enjoys a certain franchise into one category. When you have a franchise as big and well known as Pokemon, the audience Pokemon has is extremely massive, having a worldwide appeal with tons of people who enjoy Pokemon. Inevitably, people are different, and different people want different things out of the media franchises they enjoy, so there will be many dissenting opinions on that front. Especially when you have a franchise as big as Pokemon, it attracts people from all fronts, so there will inevitably be a lot of people who want different things out of Pokemon. Some people favor certain generations of Pokemon and what they brought to the table over others, for example, and vice versa, and even now there are people who likely want different things out of this year. I know many people who really want Sinnoh remakes, some want a Let's Go Johto game, and there are probably more things out there high in demand for Pokemon.

It's an inevitability when you have a franchise with as big an audience as Pokemon, but it's not exclusive to Pokemon either: any big media franchise (such as, say, Star Wars) will have a big audience who enjoys it and is invested in it and there will be tons of different people who have different things they want out of said franchises.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"We just want them to show they're doing it to make sure its real" bro remakes are practically free money. They don't need to make anything new and just remake a region and update some stuff and they get 406036 nonilion dollars or something, do you really think theyre gonna go and say "hmmmm not gonna do remakes anymore, I'm tired" or something.
You must remember that while remakes can be a big money maker, so can a game that isn't a remake. Game Freak will have to consider the costs and benefits of each option when deciding what their next game is going to be.

In the particular case of Sinnoh, I'm not sure if a remake would be the best course of action. It's not like they can just copy over all the code from the DS games and swap out all the graphics assets. They would essentially have to build the region from scratch, while making adjustments to the numerous elements of the original games that aren't compatible with the modern hardware. The Sinnoh Underground would have to have its entire concept designed anew, for instance. They'd have to come up with something completely different for the Pokétch. The necessary input/output devices for those functions simply don't exist on the Switch.

A lot could be written about the graphics for Sinnoh too, and I have in the past, but the gist of it is that Sinnoh looks awfully dated. Identical trees standing in a grid, blocky and angular terrain features, the camera locked to one position ... all extremely archaic for a current-gen console, and a 1-to-1 recreation wouldn't fix any of it. Some new design work would have to be done for every location in the game. They can't just copy what they had tile-by-tile and produce a Switch game from it. Not a game a non-Pokémon fan would consider good-looking enough to spend 60 dollars on, at least. There's also a lot of adaptation to be done to add the newest features of the franchise to Sinnoh, such as Max Raid battles or a Wild Area. Essentially, a big redesign would have to be done for the whole of Sinnoh, and it's a very big region. Easily three times the size of Galar. Re-creating Sinnoh might be just as much work as designing a new region from scratch, if not more.

As for the potential rewards of making a remake, there's also the question of nostalgia. FRLG were released a mere 8 years after R/G (6 years in North America and 5 in Europe). DP came out in 2006, that's 15 years ago. Kids who were 7 and played their first Pokémon game back then are in their 20s now, hardly the target demographic for a Pokémon game (and it's too early for them to have kids to buy the newest games for as well). Even ORAS were only released 12 years after their original games, and even that felt like a stretch. Meanwhile, even the oldest kids who are in the target demographic for Pokémon have never played DP. It was released way before their time. If 8-10 years is the optimal wait time between an original game and a remake, Game Freak might as well remake Gen VI instead. By November this year, XY will be older than R/G were at the time of being remade. In Europe, the wait time between RB and FRLG was shorter than between Sun/Moon and the 2021 release.

So I'd say the costs of remaking Sinnoh are relatively big, while the benefits are uncertain. A lot of the staple features of DP can't be easily replicated on the Switch, the region is big and complicated to remake with modern graphics, and there is little overlap between original DP players and potential 2021 Pokémon players. Remaking Sinnoh also runs into the risk of alienating both demographics: to the nostalgia crowds, the changes made to Sinnoh may make the games unrecognizable. To the modern demographic, the design constraints the games were made under might make the games look old and unappealing (heck, Game Freak itself apparently believes kids don't have the patience for elaborate dungeons or hard story battles, so why would they include such things in their 2021 game?). Even the designers might not like having to work on a 2020 game but following design decisions made in 2004.

It may be that Game Freak considers Sinnoh remakes too much of a hassle for too little return, and choose to spend their development time making a new and modern Pokémon game set in an entirely new region instead, built from scratch around modern graphics and Pokémon's modern design philosophies. It would have even more reasons to sell like hotcakes than a DP remake would (due to being designed for a modern audience from the ground up using modern tools), and there wouldn't be the enormous and inevitable backlash against "having ruined Sinnoh". Because face it, the fans who would be the most upset over the lack of a DP remake are vanishingly few, and they would also be the most disappointed with it. Might as well ignore those entirely and focus on the modern potential in Pokémon rather than trying to recreate the past.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
do you really think theyre gonna go and say "hmmmm not gonna do remakes anymore, I'm tired" or something.
Well this is GF we're talking about here...

And in the specific case of GameFreaks, don't worry, whatever they will do, people will always complain. They can't win.
Yeah, but there's a difference between "a small group of people who would never be satisficed" complaining to "a large chunk of the franchise complaining because GF makes baffling game design decisions" complaining. GF obviously should ignore the former, but they could play things a bit smarter to chop down the numbers of the latter.

I would definitively prefer something fresh, but I wouldn't mind if we get to play classic Gen 3 and 4 games with their in-game locked events being permanently unlocked.
I think many people would be happy to play their childhood games without restrictions and finally being able to get the Azure Flute to catch Arceus as intended.

Pokemon Crystal VC was as I hoped with the Celebi Event being finally obtainable.
I did the math a while ago but it wouldn't be impossible for GF to put every past game into one Switch cartridge:

Hmm, switch cartridges can hold 32 Gigabytes.

Gen I games were 11 MB.
Gen II games were 16 MB.
Gen III games were 64 MB.
Gen IV games were 128 MB.
Gen V games were 512 MB.
Gen VI games were 1.7 GB.
Gen VII games were 3.2 GB.

They could easily put all past generation games into one cart, or rather two carts:

Crimson Pack: Red (+ Yellow), Gold (+ Crystal), Ruby (+ Emerald), FireRed, Diamond (+ Platinum), HeartGold, Black, Black 2, X, OmegaRuby, Sun, Ultra Sun
Turquoise Pack: Blue (+ Yellow), Silver (+ Crystal), Sapphire (+ Emerald), LeafGreen, Pearl (+ Platinum), SoulSilver, White, White 2, Y, AlphaSapphire, Moon, Ultra Moon

If my math is right, that'll make each 11.3 GB each. Now that technically means they can actually put ALL games into one cart (22.6 GB), but knowing GF they'd probably want to keep the archaic two version design (though at least both packs would have the third/enhanced version so people wouldn't miss much).

like sometimes it's different people who want these two things and not the same people being hypocritical
Nah in my experience, its almost always the same people. Stating how bad the games have gotten and how they need more time, then getting angry that sinnoh remakes haven't been namedropped yet lol. This even includes some of my friends which is a bit weird.

Maybe its because they are lying about saying how "they'll gladly wait" for new games and just want to look good/to prove a point.

A lot could be written about the graphics for Sinnoh too, and I have in the past, but the gist of it is that Sinnoh looks awfully dated. Identical trees standing in a grid, blocky and angular terrain features, the camera locked to one position ... all extremely archaic for a current-gen console, and a 1-to-1 recreation wouldn't fix any of it.
Let's Go and ORAS immediately refute this for how they do remakes
And don't get me started on the art for the region

To be fair, there was one big issue with facilities, which is that they were required to do to obtain important PvP items, and "normal" people really really really hated them. Facilities in general are enjoyed by a minor part of the playerbase, which is probably why it was decided for a more facerollable one as main one, and have actually challenging ones as DLC.
While I myself do not agree with this and would have much rather had just difficulty modes in Tower instead (kinda like the old ones had "normal" and "super" modes), I definitely can see the reasoning for this design.
In fact I have yet to hear a VGC player that didn't hate the fact you had to go through "RNG facility that cheats by reading your inputs and countering your team"(tm) and actually enjoyed playing them. And most of them just faceplanted in singles with hyperoffense teams until they had enough BPs, then never touched them again.

Like, honestly, before DLC happened and actually brought sparring and dynamax adventures, we weren't expecting anything at all, we thought that the Tower would be it, since the chunk of playerbase that actually enjoys the facilities is extremely small, to the point they are basically a waste of design time.
Good points. I would also have liked to see two modes for the Gen 8 Tower: one hard/classic, and one easy/casual. That way, everyone would have been able to enjoy it. If anything, I am unhappy about how they removed the hard mode in Gen 8 and made the easy mode the only one by default, thus forcing you to do a self-imposed challenge in order to experience the hard mode. In comparison, I think US/UM did everything right as they made the normal lines super easy (even easier than in the Tower in S/S because entering with Pokémon above level 50 won’t get their levels lowered), while also keeping the super lines the same as in S/M. That way, they had an easy way to grind up BP for those who only wanted the battle items, while also keeping the regular challenge for those of us who are interested in that.

And I never expected them to add new facilities with the DLC either, but I was wrong and I’m happy about that. The unfortunate thing is that for me personally, it is just too little, too late. I have no desire to try either of them at the moment because I am burnt out on Pokémon. But maybe I'll get back to Sword and try them in the future. The game and the challenges aren’t going anywhere, and completing battle facilities many years after they are the most recent ones is something I have done many times in the past too.

I also think it would be fine if they sort of kept the ranking system from the Agency and the S/S Tower in some way. But at the same time, they shouldn’t be too kind to you when you lose, I think the heavy punishment for a loss is a big part of the challenge (and it is one reason as for why I like battling in facilities so much). If anything, I think they should sort of have a save point after you beat the boss so you can continue for endless battling after beating the boss, but when you lose, you can continue directly from after the boss instead of starting from battle #1 again.

Basically this:
Another alternative would be using the ranking system from the Galar Tower, BUUUUT after you beat the Frontier Brain for good, he unlocks an endless mode for you, where players can attempt perfect streaks and share their highest records.
Yes, though to be fair, a "in between" would work better.
For example, for Tree, we all knew that the "hard part" started battle 50 onwards, yet getting there was often a chore due to the stupidity of early sets (which were mostly bad pure RNG sets like confusion spam or fully inaccurate moves, or boring wastes of time like fly/protect combos).
A system where you climb ranks so you'd always start from the max one, but can *also* keep track of how many wins in a row you've done, would be ideal.
Both of your ideas here are very similar to mine.
Yeah, this was a minor peeve of mine when it came to Battle Facilities. You'd have to manually remember your record instead of they recording it for you. You think for a mode that emphasizes keeping a winning streak, they would have a score tracker, but no, nothing. What an odd design choice.
Not sure what you are referring to here. In the Facilities from Gen 3-7 (unsure about the Crystal Tower), the games kept track of your current streak, there was no need to do that manually unless you used multiple teams for the same format or something.
To add on to this, The teams are always the same every time you go through it. This could be changed in the Japanese version(and the Trainer hill in Emerald that was just a copy/paste of it), via using e-cards. But outside of Japan FireRed and LeafGreen, (and Colosseum and Emerald) removed all e-reader compatibility from the coding of the games, and as a result also never released the sets of cards meant for those games(or even the second wave of Ruby and Sapphire cards, because the e-reader was pretty much a flop everywhere BUT Japan).
Yeah, this too. It makes things extremely predictable if you go through the Trainer Tower multiple times. I wonder how the E-reader would have changed things.

To say something positive about the Trainer Tower, I did like how some of the Pokémon used by the opponents were shiny. That was pretty cool, it is one of the very few times in the games where opponents would use shinies 100% of the time.

And here are some thoughts on some other topics since yesterday:

Anniversary games (and the anniversary in general)
I’m not the biggest fan of Pokémon remakes (they are my least favorite type of Pokémon games), and I have mixed views of the potential D/P remakes as I think there are many potential problems with them (Codraroll listed several notable ones) as well as more than one notable Catch-22 regarding them (though I won’t go into that now). The hype for D/P remakes also seems to have died down recently, I have seen more and more fans being negative rather than positive towards the idea of them. However, I wouldn’t go as far as to say they are an awful choice for an anniversary game. If anything, I’d much rather take D/P remakes over another Kanto game. Of course, having a mostly equal focus on all generations for the anniversary would without any doubt be the best. But if they are going to focus on any single generation during the anniversary, I’d say they should focus on the the most recent one which is Gen 8 (unless Gen 9 gets released this year). Other than that, any older generation that’s not Gen 1 would be very welcome in my eyes.

I don’t care if GF or the fandom thinks Gen 1 is more important or “special” than the others, or if it should get more spotlight just because it is the first generation, the most well-known, the most iconic or whatever. None of this changes the fact that I am personally very tired of Gen 1 right now (and I have honestly been for many years). I don’t want to see it get even more focus just because of the anniversary. Gen 1 has gotten so much focus lately (see the list that Samtendo09 posted) to the point that it shouldn't get any more. Despite the fact that I started with Gen 1 and my first game was Blue, I don’t care much for Gen 1 anymore and I’m almost starting to dislike it because of the extreme focus it seems to constantly get. IMO, going back to Gen 1 again would be way more awful than a D/P remake. It wasn’t very long since we got LGP/E and I really hope they wait many years before they go back to Kanto again.

As for the anniversary in general, I think they should focus less on Gen 1 in general this time. I think the 20th anniversary had way too much focus on Gen 1, especially S/M which were filled to the brim with Gen 1 references at the cost of all other regions (including Alola itself). But at the same time, I think they actually succeeded with some things during the 20th anniversary, the two most notable being the mythical events and Pokémon Generations, both had a great equal focus on all generations.

No new game this year would be fine for me too, despite what I said in the anniversary thread yesterday. If an extra year of development means a better game in the end, then I’m all okay with that. I have other Switch games to play anyway, and if I feel like going back to Pokémon, there’s nothing stopping me from playing the games I already have. I guess I just want a new game this year with the small hope that it will restore my interest in Pokémon a bit as it is currently very low. Some sort of collection of older games would be cool too, I have my own idea(s) for a “Pokémon Anthology” as I have named it... but I’ll stop here since this is getting wishlisty.

The fandom
I mostly agree with what others have said here. The Pokémon fandom isn’t a hivemind (even if it defintely can act too much like one at times). We are all Pokémon fans, but our experiences and opinions regarding Pokémon are very different… which becomes apparent here on the forums, especially in this thread. However, all Pokémon fans have one thing in common: we will always complain about things regarding Pokémon, no matter what happens. That never changes.

Weirdly this has become an unpopular opinion
Kotora being scrapped is a good thing
The only notable thing was being a stealth object mon (Yes it is, it's based on this)
2012102613243282_1_l.jpg

Though the electric connection outside color is poor. And the evo is barely different, which for Gen 1, hurts the concept of evolution overall
Pikachu looks and works better, and Mareep line are also pretty good Gen 2
But overall I'm not impressed with it. The Shellder evo and Lickitumg evo interest me more given canon connections for the former, and the Werewolf line hurts me for scrapping

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Let's Go and ORAS immediately refute this for how they do remakes
And don't get me started on the art for the region
I think they got away with it for Let's Go because it was widely regarded as a spin-off of sorts, and it was trying to recreate the very first games with every object being placed where it was on the Game Boy. They had the iconicity of Gen I to fall back on, which Gen IV doesn't nearly have to the same degree.

As for ORAS, well, it's a personal opinion of mine that Hoenn looks better than Sinnoh, partially due to the latter having to make too many concessions to achieve that semi-3D style. That means that terrain shapes had to be very simplistic, buildings were largely cuboids, there were fewer types of trees, and simpler terrain textures. Hoenn had great detail in its overworld art style because it was all sprite-based. Sinnoh used 3D elements, and those had to be made quite simple for the DS to be able to process them. Just look at the functionally identical locations of Ever Grande City and Sinnoh's Pokémon League, for instance. Or the top of Mt. Pyre vs. the top of Mt. Coronet. There is a level of detail, scale, and complexity in the terrain of Hoenn you simply don't find in the terrain of Sinnoh.

This implies that, with minimal changes, an upscaled Hoenn would also look better than an upscaled Sinnoh. Add to this the fact that Hoenn was upscaled to 3DS graphics while Sinnoh would have to be upscaled all the way up to Switch, and, well, I think the difference would be a lot more jarring. Especially if they want to draw in non-Pokémon fans as well. People expect a certain level of graphical fidelity from full-price games in the 2020s, and SwSh was already stretching it. They can't just scale up Sinnoh, keeping the region mostly like it looked on the DS, and expect first-time customers to go "yeah, this looks like a fine and modern game I'd be willing to pay sixty bucks for to play on my home console." Especially not those who don't have nostalgic feelings from the Sinnoh games already - i.e. pretty much everyone in the target demographic. A scaled-up Sinnoh advertised as an AAA game would be a much harder sell than scaled-up Kanto and Hoenn were.

I think they got away with it for Let's Go because it was widely regarded as a spin-off of sorts, and it was trying to recreate the very first games with every object being placed where it was on the Game Boy. They had the iconicity of Gen I to fall back on, which Gen IV doesn't nearly have to the same degree.

As for ORAS, well, it's a personal opinion of mine that Hoenn looks better than Sinnoh, partially due to the latter having to make too many concessions to achieve that semi-3D style. That means that terrain shapes had to be very simplistic, buildings were largely cuboids, there were fewer types of trees, and simpler terrain textures. Hoenn had great detail in its overworld art style because it was all sprite-based. Sinnoh used 3D elements, and those had to be made quite simple for the DS to be able to process them. Just look at the functionally identical locations of Ever Grande City and Sinnoh's Pokémon League, for instance. Or the top of Mt. Pyre vs. the top of Mt. Coronet. There is a level of detail, scale, and complexity in the terrain of Hoenn you simply don't find in the terrain of Sinnoh.

This implies that, with minimal changes, an upscaled Hoenn would also look better than an upscaled Sinnoh. Add to this the fact that Hoenn was upscaled to 3DS graphics while Sinnoh would have to be upscaled all the way up to Switch, and, well, I think the difference would be a lot more jarring. Especially if they want to draw in non-Pokémon fans as well. People expect a certain level of graphical fidelity from full-price games in the 2020s, and SwSh was already stretching it. They can't just scale up Sinnoh, keeping the region mostly like it looked on the DS, and expect first-time customers to go "yeah, this looks like a fine and modern game I'd be willing to pay sixty bucks for to play on my home console." Especially not those who don't have nostalgic feelings from the Sinnoh games already - i.e. pretty much everyone in the target demographic. A scaled-up Sinnoh advertised as an AAA game would be a much harder sell than scaled-up Kanto and Hoenn were.
God
never realized how BAD 4s map design is
5 is slightly better, but still mediocre like dang
no wonder Gen 7 was applauded for how routes were

Sadly the tile design heavily restricts 1/3s intended region art originally, and by GBA they were more than capable of doing non tile based environments and 8 direction movement like say....Mystery Dungeon or Golden Sun

It really should have been more interesting when DS came given 3D....but most of it was in Plat for Distortion world only, and BWs bridge

Honestly GF themselves got really behind after GBA, and it was only until XY fans noticed....for the wrong game

Well I think a lot of Sinnoh's Plain color palette is due to fact it was based off the Hokkaido region, and that region known for farmland, so its going to be very plain in contrast to Kyushu's tropics, which is what Hoenn was based off of.

Anyway, there's also another reason why remakes are done in the first place, with the exception of Let's Go, which was not a traditional Pokemon game. Remakes are often made with the intent of allowing Pokemon to be obtained the sane generation without the aid of previous hardware. FRLG were made with the intention of allowing players to obtain Kanto and Johto Pokemon missing from RS while Emerald allowed you obtain the missing Johto Pokemon not in FRLG should you not have Colosseium or XD.

HGSS, in addition of allowing the capture of Johto and Kanto Pokemon, also allowed you to obtain Hoenn starters and Legendaries because the developers specifically wanted to remove reliance on GBA games for completing the National Dex.

Between XY and ORAS, every Pokemon can obtained in Gen 6 without trading.

With Dexit and the removal of the National Dex, SwSh will never have to rely on another pair of games to complete their Pokedex. And this might be an unpopular opinion, but that's why I think that was the primary reason why remakes are made in the first place. DP also had at the time, the largest amount of available Pokemon in the entire series up to that point, with 445 available between both games out of 493. The majority of missing Pokemon were either starters, Legendaries, and mythical Pokemon. Its pretty much opposite of how SwSh excluded half of all existing Pokemon until the DLC hit the world. A remake of DP would require all these Pokemon to be programmed in the game in order to be faithful, which goes against the current design philosophy. I'll only consider getting them if they include all the missing Pokemon to SwSh, and those Pokemon can be traded to SwSh.

And here's definitely an unpopular opinion. Sinnoh remakes should have come out before Hoenn remakes, or at the very least at, during Gen 7. Why? Sinnoh was built around a touch screen. Minigames like Poffins, Poketch, underground, contests, Wifi plaza, all required use of the touch screen. Trying to translate these into Switch would be very difficult due to the lack of a touch screen- can imagine the underground mini game on the switch? The most logical replacement would probably be motion control, but can you imagine doing poffin making and the underground mini game with motion controls? That sounds so soreful for your wrists. And there's the issues of translating that to handheld mode. In conclusion, DP have a lot features that relied on touchscreen and don't simply translate well to switch. Trying to remove these features would strip Sinnoh of its identity and not be a faithful remake.

On the other hand, Hoenn not built around of a touchscreen, so a lot of its UI and mini games wouldn't be so hard to translate onto Switch. Even the battle UI resembles the GBA days. In my opinion, the best time for a DP remake would have been Gen 7, since it was the last games to feature touchscreen and every Pokemon in existence ( Should have given us DP remakes instead of USM and Let's Go. )

I also Yung Dramps with that its unlikely for DP remakes to celebrate the 20th Anniversary. They purposely skipped over XY followups to profit off the hypes of a new game rather than give XY its third version, nothing has happened since then to make me think that anything would change now.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
At this point, it's impossible to predict what will happen. Saying that a certain thing is "unlikely" to happen next, such as DP remakes for example, being "unlikely", is just as presumptuous as saying that they definitively *will* happen. It is not a good idea to assume anything as a likely or unlikely thing that will happen because Game Freak has become increasingly unpredictable over the years, so you never know what they might be cooking up. As they've shown over the past decade, they really are not very predictable at all nowadays.

I also think that using the Pokemon Z situation as an argument as to why DP remakes (or any sort of remake, like say, another Johto or even Kanto game) wouldn't happen is pretty flawed, because third versions and remakes are fundamentally different from a marketing standpoint, and there are quite a few holes in that line of reasoning:

• Remakes have the advantage of coming out several years after the original games came out, well past when the original games were at their prime. Third versions don't have this luxury, coming within at most two years after the original paired release, at a time when said games are still "the" Pokemon games on the market. In other words, remakes have the advantage in terms of sales, because they also have a new audience of kids to recruit into the experience of that particular region. HGSS and ORAS, for example, had the new kids who got into the franchise through DP or XY to ride on and experience Johto or Hoenn for the first time ever. A third version does not have this advantage.
  • The above point also shows with how the sales of remakes do compared to third versions. Let's take a look at each "category" of games and look at how they've sold, for example:
Base Games

Ruby and Sapphire:
16.22 million
Diamond and Pearl: 17.67 million
Black and White: 15.64 million
X and Y: 16.49 million
Sun and Moon: 16.20 million
Sword and Shield: 20.35 million

Remakes

FireRed and LeafGreen:
12 million
HeartGold and SoulSilver: 12.72 million
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: 14.34 million

Third Versions/Sequels

Emerald:
7 million
Platinum: 7.6 million
Black and White 2: 8.52 million
Ultra Sun and Moon: 8.89 million

• As you can see above, there's a good deal more sales you can get out of remakes than you do third versions, which don't get that many sales to boast. Remakes are still "fresh" to a good deal of the Pokemon audience, that is the new kids who got in with Gen 8, and to them they still have a new experience so there's still that audience to ride off of.
  • Game Freak clearly fundamentally sees remake titles as effectively brand new games, unlike with a third/upper version (as they call it). The President of TPC flat out said about FireRed and LeafGreen once that "we don't consider them to be remakes at all. We feel that this is a new game". It's very clear that even remakes are still treated as brand new, fresh titles. Remakes come loooong after the originals anyway, when there's a new audience for them to experience the region for the first time, and they incorporate aspects from that generation and thrive on Pokemon's tendency to "recruit" new kids into the franchise.
  • Pokemon Z was likely not "purposefully skipped over" for Sun and Moon. What more likely happened there was that there were two different teams working on both at the same time at one point, with the A team working on SM for the 20th anniversary, and the B team working on Z, which would have come out in 2015 had things gone as planned, with Sun and Moon coming the following year. The likely scenario was that at some point, Sun and Moon was facing development troubles that made the A team apprehensive they wouldn't be able to get it polished in time, so the B team had to scrap Z and serve as additional manpower for Sun and Moon to ensure that they could get it to become a solid product in time for the 20th anniversary (as SM was likely the intended 20th anniversary game from the get-go and likely started development soon after X and Y finished development). This is evident in the traces of Zygarde placed in Sun and Moon, making it likely that the B team had to put their scrapped ideas for Z into it so their ideas weren't totally gone.

Point being, using the Z situation as a comparison point isn't really a fair comparison when 1) Remakes and "upper versions" have fundamentally different niches from a marketing standpoint, and 2) Pokemon Z, had it happened, was not likely to have been for 2016 in the first place, and would've been a 2015 title to align with Game Freak's annual release schedule that they've been adhering to lately.

In any case, it is extremely presumptuous to assume anything is or isn't going to happen this year or next or whatever. Game Freak is not a developer you can really predict with what they're going to do nowadays, and if they decide they want to do Sinnoh Remakes, they'll do it, whatever apprehensions we have about them be damned. If they decide to do Let's Go Johto, yeah that'll happen if they want to. We don't know what they're planning next and I would hold off on making any assumptions about what Game Freak is or isn't interested in until we hear any official announcements from them, which should be pretty soon considering Pokemon Day is coming in less than two weeks.

Long story short, I always run by the mantra "Don't assume anything" in cases like this. Don't assume anything is unlikely or likely to happen, because at this point it's more or less not possible to really know what will happen.

Last edited:
I did the math a while ago but it wouldn't be impossible for GF to put every past game into one Switch cartridge:
I usually don't consider that but rather than could I think about if they would. And I don't think the Pokemon company, especially with Nintendo having shares, would give the consumers so many games even for an anniversary pack for free.

Just look at the Mario Anniversaries of the recent years. They put the SNES rom without any adjustments into a CD with some soundtracks and an artbook with barely any information about the games for the Wii and the most recent Mario 3D allstars which had 3 of 4 Major 3D Mario games, despite being able to fit all 4, and 64 hasn't it's graphics remade for the modern audience. They just added the 3 games running on an emulator, with slid updates to the textures (hardly noticable) and again add some music you can only listen on the title screen... Not even an artbook, but I guess telling us when the game came out with one random trivia in the title screen is enough

sry for the rant, but I feel Mario deserves a little better.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And I don't think the Pokemon company, especially with Nintendo having shares, would give the consumers so many games even for an anniversary pack for free.
Well, obviously they should charge for it (likely $60). Unless you meant they wouldn't put that many Pokemon games in one cartridge and sell for a price or a normal game, which in that case I know but I'm saying it's theoretically possible.

and the most recent Mario 3D allstars which had 3 of 4 Major 3D Mario games, despite being able to fit all 4
By 4 you mean Galaxy 2, right? That is a very odd exclusion. Heck, I also think they should have added the DS remake for Mario 64 since it's almost a different game but uses mostly the same level layout and assets (though it had updated graphics making it look like a more modern Mario game).

Well, obviously they should charge for it (likely $60). Unless you meant they wouldn't put that many Pokemon games in one cartridge and sell for a price or a normal game, which in that case I know but I'm saying it's theoretically possible.

By 4 you mean Galaxy 2, right? That is a very odd exclusion. Heck, I also think they should have added the DS remake for Mario 64 since it's almost a different game but uses mostly the same level layout and assets (though it had updated graphics making it look like a more modern Mario game).
yes, I meant the later. I don't know why for free instead of "for them basically for free".
GF seems like a company, if they do a collection like that, you would get 3 games with 1 representing each generation and sell that for 60 bucks, and maybe some music to listen to.

And I just realized I described the way Mario was treated recently, but worse because these 3 games may not even take a fraction out of the cardridge.

Given Gamefreak's awful track record since XY, I'd rather DP remakes never be made by them. Don't taint the DS era, the best years of the franchise (to me), with current Gamefreak's stink. And they'd ignore many of the improvements made by Platinum as well. I can't see DP remakes being anything more than insulting to the base games and dumpster fires nowadays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 19)