Unpopular opinions

I don't know why people still want following pokemon to be back when we're in 3d now.
It's more cumbersome and harder to pull off

Honestly? i don't think this even is gamefreaks fault either. While I think hgss following pokemon is also ugly, it had the opportunity to be a grid game where the pokemon can just be one grid behind/next to you when walking. I think the sprites suck I think its a distracting and worthless feature and I don't like being forced to it.

What do you even DO in the 3d games? Where you now have to code all pokemon in a more realistic setting and with proper speeds otherwise it'll look really bad? Pokemon that are faster than you have to crash and stop before you gain distance to walk again, pokemon slower than you get left behind and brought back by their pokeballs. It looks bad, and I have no clue how else they'd do it to fix it. You can't have your pokemon be super next to you either because anything bigger will block your vision.

Honestly it only kinda worked more in lgpe because those games seem to have a fixed camera. Following pokemon in ioa sucks.

To me, it feels like instead of forcing following pokemon, have small pokemon be on your shoulder or head, and have larger pokemon be rideable. Pokemon in the in betweens that cant do either get the short end of the stick, but i'd much rather this than have to see my incineroar pumping the brakes everytime it catches up to me :pikuh:

I don't know why people still want following pokemon to be back when we're in 3d now.
It's more cumbersome and harder to pull off

Honestly? i don't think this even is gamefreaks fault either. While I think hgss following pokemon is also ugly, it had the opportunity to be a grid game where the pokemon can just be one grid behind/next to you when walking. I think the sprites suck I think its a distracting and worthless feature and I don't like being forced to it.

What do you even DO in the 3d games? Where you now have to code all pokemon in a more realistic setting and with proper speeds otherwise it'll look really bad? Pokemon that are faster than you have to crash and stop before you gain distance to walk again, pokemon slower than you get left behind and brought back by their pokeballs. It looks bad, and I have no clue how else they'd do it to fix it. You can't have your pokemon be super next to you either because anything bigger will block your vision.

Honestly it only kinda worked more in lgpe because those games seem to have a fixed camera. Following pokemon in ioa sucks.

To me, it feels like instead of forcing following pokemon, have small pokemon be on your shoulder or head, and have larger pokemon be rideable. Pokemon in the in betweens that cant do either get the short end of the stick, but i'd much rather this than have to see my incineroar pumping the brakes everytime it catches up to me :pikuh:
To be fair, while I sorta agree with you, the following pokemon add a bit of immersion to the world, and some funny moments when you have particularly big (or small) pokemon following.
I'd say they did a very good work (not perfect, but still solid) with the following animations in IoA / Tundra, some are absolutely hilarious yet realistic, shuckle is still probably trying to reach his trainer to this day.

But, I definitely agree it's another strain of design on a company that already struggles to meet deadlines, and honestly not exactly a feature that I'd define "important" to the point of going out of my way to request it.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel that in general, the 8 bit chiptune of GSC has a lot more charm to it than HGSS's overly bombastic remixes, especially when combined with the unique aesthetic of Johto in the original Game Boy render. I don't know how to explain it, but there's something very distinct about the Game Boy soundchip and aesthetic that Johto really works well with, and I feel the 8 bit simplicity of the Game Boy gives Gold and Silver its unique charm and especially the Johto region itself which I feel works best with the vibe the original Game Boy games give off in general.

This isn't to say that I dislike HGSS's music and aesthetic flat out though, as Johto looks really nice in the HGSS render on the DS, but it doesn't quite feel the same without the simplistic 8 bit vibe and the simple chiptune that truly gives off a magical sense of adventure. HGSS tried to make the soundtrack too complicated and overly bombastic imo in general so despite some good hits and the OST being good overall it lacks the distinctive simple charm of the OG GSC soundtrack.

That being said, I do like that HGSS brought back all the original Kanto themes, and aside from the aforementioned Cinnabar and the bittersweet vibe it gives off, it has my favorite mixes of Route 24 and Cerulean City, along with the other Kanto themes being really good overall.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But there’s one more thing. I think that G/S/C had a certain atmosphere to them that HG/SS did in my opinion neither manage to recreate nor remove and replace with something better. I know that this may sound stupid and I won’t deny that this is extremely heavily based on nostalgia as it has been more than 10 years since I last played G/S/C, but that’s how I feel. In comparison, FR/LG and OR/AS did this much better. They sort of both kept the atmosphere from the original Kanto/Hoenn games while the also improved upon it, managing to give the regions another positive atmosphere.
I have some similar thoughts. I think one reason why this is can be attributed to the design of the world vs. its graphics. The original RBY were really limited in terms of resolution, colour, and field of view. It stood to reason that its world had to be very simple in its style, with heads taking up two thirds of the character sprites so a face could be discernible, buildings being tiny so they didn't fill the entire screen, cities being organized on a grid with all doors facing south, shorelines being straight lines, all trees being identical, etc. They had to make certain concessions in the world design because of graphical limitations, but as a player you could clearly see those limitations too, and know that this was the best they could do given what they had to work with.

When Gen II added colours, it felt like a huge revolution, but the game world was still very simple. Buildings were still tiny, characters were chibi, shorelines were straight, and trees were still identical. but still, you could see the design scraping against the limits of the engine. I mean, it was still the Game Boy. It wasn't until Crystal that the Game Boy Color was required.

By contrast, Gen III was practically HD. So many colours, such detailed sprites, such intricate backgrounds! Hoenn looked good on the GBA, there's no doubt about that. It really used the capabilities of the system to create a much higher-definition game world. It was a style never seen before in Pokémon, and the game really grew into it. Hoenn remains my favourite region to this day for its size and sheer vibrancy (and also because the ones that came after it all had massive flaws: Sinnoh is a royal pain to navigate, Unova is too linear with its cities and routes like pearls on a string and no alternate routes available, Kalos looks pretty but has too little to do in it, Alola is samey and cramped, and Galar is a dumpster fire in almost every way plus being way too small). Hoenn as a region is fun to navigate on foot and pretty to look at. It's a place you want to be in, rather than just teleporting between the interesting locations.

Anyway, at this point the remakes started showing up. FRLG gave us a HD version of Kanto, which didn't look quite as detailed as Hoenn, but managed to recreate the original setting while striking a good balance in the graphics department. It clearly could have looked better, as evident by Hoenn, but not much better. It was still up there around the limit of what the hardware could handle in terms of fidelity. Not quite cutting edge, but good enough.

Then along came a new generation, and HGSS had a bit of a problem in this regard. It was evident that the advances in graphical fidelity between the Game Boy Color and the DS were much larger than between the Game Boy and the GBA. While a HD Kanto could look close to cutting edge on the GBA, a HD Johto looked slightly dated for the DS. I think they still tried their best to spruce up Johto. Some locations look really good, and I think much better than Sinnoh overall in terms of looks. On a detail level, HGSS might have been the prettiest Pokemon game ever at the time.

But nevertheless, it was evident that the design constraints of the GameBoy had been guiding the design of the region. I think the routes look a bit too small compared to the capabilities of the system. Things are, overall, a bit too square. You get the feeling that "if the console can render the path in such high resolution, why must it still do ninety-degree turns?". With the higher-definition graphics, it suddenly looks unrealistic that the buildings are so small. The geometry of cliffs is very blocky compared to what we saw back in RSE. In short, Johto made it a bit too evident that it was a Game Boy region displayed on a much more modern device.

I honestly can't say how ORAS pulled it off. I think it has something to do with how amazingly vibrant Hoenn was already, and that its higher-definition sprites translated well to 3D. Hoenn's geometry was already a bit more intricate, so it translated well to a higher definition. ORAS also made the wise decision to change the way background trees worked from the original. RSE had its identical trees lined up on a grid, while ORAS displayed a few, large trees on inaccessible ground instead. Still, there are some slight "itches" in this region too. The straight edges of bodies of water look a bit too forced in such a powerful engine. The grid is still evident, even though it strictly doesn't need to be there.

As you may understand, I do not hold LGPE in high regard. It has repeatedly been made clear that the Switch is capable of rendering some really intricate landscapes with awesome graphics. The giant open world of Breath of the Wild or the bustling city of The Witcher 3 pose few challenges to the console. It can do advanced stuff. Kanto in LGPE is not advanced stuff. It is still the same region as on the Game Boy, designed along the same grid, with its now-HD assets positioned like the sprites were in the pixelated world of the GameBoy. It is painfully obvious that the game world was designed for a vastly less powerful system, and recreated without a modicum of adaptation. The span between the capabilities of the Switch and the look of the world is too vast not to notice. The game world follows design criteria it clearly has no reason to adhere to.

For this reason, I'm also a bit wary about BDSP. The original Sinnoh was a step back from Hoenn in terms of fidelity, because the designers wanted the overworld to be semi-3D. This required them to make stuff a bit more simplified than they did in Gen III, which is most notable in the blocky and pyramid-like cliffs seen throughout the region. Compare the top of Mt. Coronet to the top of Mt. Pyre, for instance. While Sinnoh still is a step up from Kanto in terms of fidelity, the contrast between the look of the region and the state of the art is still enormous.

Anyway, the point is, I think the remakes suffer a bit from being too faithful. They try to recreate the look of the originals, which means they miss out on the feel of the originals. The original games looked as food as they could on their console. The remakes hold back so, so much, and making the assets HD don't help at all. It just calls attention to the difference between what the engine can do and what it does. Buildings no longer need to be tiny, coastlines don't need to be straight, all buildings don't have to face the same way, and trees don't have to be lined up on a grid. That just makes it even more off-putting when they do so anyway, while otherwise gleaning in shiny, high definition.

Honestly, I like the following Pokemon feature...but it's not nearly enough to make up for all the bad changes.

I agree with Suspicious Derivative almost entirely, ESPECIALLY on how HG/SS failed to give Johto a certain ''feel'' that GSC had. Between the price tag ($200? get lost please!) and the fact I simply prefer Crystal, I'm not terribly interested in playing HG/SS ever again. Johto felt a lot more complete and alive in GSC, and while FR/LG Kanto and ORAS Hoenn did so too, HG/SS Johto...not so much. I also agree that they arguably failed by giving the Team Rocket Admins names and faces, especially given how little you did with them, Game Freak.

If I could redo HG/SS, I'd like to make Johto a far more complete region (while also doing so for Kanto) like before, or even better than before. Bring back the ability to decorate your room, and make decorating your room even more fun! Probably bring the Underground from Sinnoh in too, they're in the same generation and all, and I loved the Underground. Make Team Rocket actually intimidating and have them seek to capture the Uber of the game using the Goldenrod radio signals, even succeed - requiring you to fight them and then fight the remaining Rockets soon after. Increase Johto availability and - controversial as this might be - bring back the badge boosts of previous games. On the other hand, I'd overhaul the level curve entirely, bring Kris back (I don't care about Lyra, though her encounter theme is adorable), add more PokeGear shows that are fun, make the Game Corner great again, etc etc...

I didn't even finish Kanto, so boring it all was to me. Kinda crazy given that Johto is my first video game region and I completed it just fine.

Last edited:
To be fair, while I sorta agree with you, the following pokemon add a bit of immersion to the world, and some funny moments when you have particularly big (or small) pokemon following.
I'd say they did a very good work (not perfect, but still solid) with the following animations in IoA / Tundra, some are absolutely hilarious yet realistic, shuckle is still probably trying to reach his trainer to this day.

But, I definitely agree it's another strain of design on a company that already struggles to meet deadlines, and honestly not exactly a feature that I'd define "important" to the point of going out of my way to request it.
I don't think its their fault at all, considering how nightmareish it seems to make every pokemon look at least passable in their following, I just think its a feature that requires exponential work, doesn't even look good overall when tried and is not nearly important enough, as you said. Just bring back the lgpe ride feature and steal from monhun stories monstie riding and we're set, no need to have every single pokemon following us for me tbh

A lot of people are crazy about the feature, but I think Game Freak's current approach (the cooking mini-games) are the best idea at the moment. I personally find good gameplay, level and difficulty balancing, Pokemon availability, music, locations, story, etc. more important than this.

Following Pokemon is nice, but it's not that impressive on its own, the Pokemon need more reactions and personality, and the mini-games have it.

This is a searing hot take but I think B2W2 has become overrated. Don't get me wrong they are very good games, but I don't place them in the same tier as Platinum and Emerald.

First, let me say that B2W2 has the best regional dex in the series in my opinion and excellent post game battle facilities in the form of the PWT and Black Tower/White Treehollow. Even though I prefer Emerald and Gen 4's Battle Frontiers, B2W2's facilities are still very good. I also like that they switched up the linearity of the original Unova map, though I still think Hoenn and Sinnoh's maps win out in terms of overall richness.

However, one problem I have with both sets of Gen 5 games is the experience scaling. I know they were trying to incentivize people to not train only one Pokémon, but in doing so they overly reward you for training six Pokémon. Part of the appeal of fighting Cynthia for example, is fighting her under leveled by about ten or so levels. In B2W2, I end up fighting Iris with Pokémon at roughly the same level as hers which detracts from the challenge. It's not a bad fight, just not as great and challenging as it could be.

My biggest problem with B2W2, however, is that I believe they gutted the main campaign of BW. As the B2W2 protagonist you fight a knock off version of Team Plasma, which at its apex in BW was probably the best villain team in the series. N takes a backseat during the main campaign of B2W2 while I think he was the most interesting character in the series as far as his motivations in BW. The Iris fight is not bad as I said but it pales in comparison to the BW fight versus N who is a champion, rival and villain team leader using a box legendary, all wrapped in one.

Lastly, not capping off B2W2 with a battle against the BW protagonist was a huge missed opportunity. This is where HGSS edges out B2W2 as a sequel since there's closure to that experience. You essentially tread Red's footsteps throughout HGSS only to finally prove you have surpassed him at the end of the game with that climactic battle atop Mt. Silver. Without that sense of closure in B2W2 we're left to wonder which protagonist was better, and BW frankly gets the edge in my book due to defeating Team Plasma at its apex.

I just think B2W2's main campaign is heavily overshadowed by its post game facilities. In an alternate universe, I wish they combined the best of both Gen 5 worlds into a Pokémon Gray version, with BW's main campaign along with B2W2's regional dex, post game facilities and modified map. That would easily be an S tier game for me. But as it stands, I see problems with both sets of Gen 5 games as standalone entries and have seen B2W2 praised to the point where I now believe it is overrated.

Last edited:
I thought the same until I defeated Red in HGSS around 15-20 levels below.

Since then, I just didn't care about being underleveled anymore.
Did you use X-Items or Switch Mode?

Red is much easier to beat with either or both, though neither makes him nigh unstoppable unless you have a REALLY good team.

Lastly, not capping off B2W2 with a battle against the BW protagonist was a huge missed opportunity. This is where HGSS edges out B2W2 as a sequel since there's closure to that experience. You essentially tread Red's footsteps throughout HGSS only to finally prove you have surpassed him at the end of the game with that climactic battle atop Mt. Silver. Without that sense of closure in B2W2 we're left to wonder which protagonist was better, and BW frankly gets the edge in my book due to defeating Team Plasma at its apex.
This was something I personally liked about B2/W2, the fact that you did not get to battle the protagonist from B/W as an opposing trainer in the games. Personally, I have always found Red and the battle against him to be massively overrated. When I played the Johto games, it never felt like I was fighting myself or a past protagonist when I battled him, it just felt like another fight against a generic NPC. So in my opinion, I'd say that B2/W2 did the right thing here and that's one of many reasons as for why I think they were successful sequels, as well as one reason I consider them to be way better sequels than HG/SS.
I just think B2W2's main campaign is heavily overshadowed by its post game facilities. In an alternate universe, I wish they combined the best of both Gen 5 worlds into a Pokémon Gray version, with BW's main campaign along with B2W2's regional dex, post game facilities and modified map. That would easily be an S tier game for me. But as it stands, I see problems with both sets of Gen 5 games as standalone entries and have seen B2W2 praised to the point where I now believe it is overrated.
I disagree. I like how they made sequels to B/W instead of a third version. I think this was a good thing because it meant that you had to play one game from each pair in order to get the full experience, as opposed to other generations where the third/alternate version made the first pair obsolete. For me, there's no reason to go back to G/S, R/S, D/P or S/M when I have Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and US/UM. The third/alternate versions give me a much more complete experience than the first pairs. I'm very happy that this did not happen in Gen 5, it made the generation feel more complete for me. I think the 5th Gen game pairs complement each other extremely well, I don't think any other games set in both the same region and generation managed to accomplish this.

Apart from that, I disagree with most of the other things you said, just wanted to comment on these two things.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I was hanging around Pokemon remixes on YouTube recently this morning and read through the comments of one of them, and this one really struck out to me:

20210713_085314.jpg

The above image is quite big, but putting it bluntly, I think this person hit the nail on the head in a way.

"I'm so annoyed that the community wants to settle for the basic Game Boy formula with more content tagged on. I have huge nostalgia for these things, but I don't understand why we can't leave it in the past for a real evolution to the franchise."

Frankly, YouTube comments tend to be a cesspool of shit more often than not, but this comment is spot on.

I think in the midst of all the things people whine about with Pokémon games these days, this is the basic core of the issue at hand.

Pokémon games have thrived for years and years on repeating the revolutionary formula of Red and Green, and adding content to it more and more. Gen 3 and Gen 4 took the formula and refined it and perfected it in a way while adding loads of fun content which made them well known and great, and that was perfect! There's no doubt the likes of Emerald, Platinum, and the likes are fantastic games.

But it's clear at this point, and in many ways it was already clear from the beginning, but that model of sticking to the Red and Green formula and adding to it with every game, plus carrying over stuff from the older games, is inherently unsustainable. A Game Boy game is fairly simple on limited hardware so that worked well. Adding to it and refining it was fine in the 2000s era since the GBA and DS are 2D in terms of art style and graphics.

But as time went on, it's clear that we can't really afford to keep going any longer. This is combined with Pokémon growing to a massive status, and it's such a multimedia franchise with a lot of people at hand that it has to push out games on a strict schedule to align with merchandise and other media to keep the franchise active and alive in people's minds. People give the games flack for being released yearly, but given how much Pokémon has grown, that can't change because of TPC's demands, and it's an inevitable corporate deadline based on that popularity and the pushing of merchandise.

Plus the fact that 3D and especially HD development are necessary for the games now, and those are more resource intensive than the Game Boy was, which is why more corners have been getting cut as of late. Sticking to the Game Boy formula of adding and adding Pokémon and content endlessly isn't going to cut it anymore.

Sword and Shield is a hugely controversial game, yeah, and I won't deny it has a lot of problems, but the Dexit situation, combined with Sword and Shield ending up in the state it's in, is, more than anything, a clear indicator of one thing: That Red and Green formula + added content model has reached its limit. It is clear at this point that they can no longer afford to keep doing this formula and still deliver a game that's up to par with current game standards.

The reason they've still been doing this, unfortunately, is that that formula is what got Pokémon successful in the first place, and people will be pissed if they deviate from it strongly. Because as that comment said, that person has huge nostalgia for the formula the older games have thrived on, and frankly: many people do. Unfortunately, people are resistant to change, and the human brain is resistant to wanting the boat to be rocked. Which creates a lose-lose situation: people still want that basic formula + added content, but that formula is becoming more and more difficult to actually execute successfully. Hence the games have slowly been reinventing themselves in small ways: the focus on story from Gen 5 onwards and the use of very human NPCs who have real, believable and lovable personalities to make for a genuinely compelling characters, and the fact that XY, ORAS, and Gen 7 focus hugely on that, or the little stuff like the Totem Bosses in SM or the Wild Area in Sword and Shield.

But frankly, it's time for a really major reinvention at this point. The franchise needs to change and evolve in a way that allows it to deliver games that are up to modern day standards. The Red and Green formula, while revolutionary for the late 90s and early 2000s, is not going to cut it in today's era. It was fine for the 2010s too since they've made the games in a way that makes them incredibly compelling in their own right and Gens 6 and 7 look really good for 3DS games, plus they made a few reinventions in spite of everything to still make the games great and up to par, the franchise has still been slowly reinventing itself from there in ways that are necessary for modern standards.

But now? It's clear that the franchise is in dire need of an evolution. Sword and Shield's many flaws and criticisms combined with the cutting of content from it is a clear indicator that the model of old isn't going to cut it any longer, and it's time to leave that old Red and Green formula in the past and push for a serious evolution to the series, plus we're now in an era where the games are on home consoles and not just exclusively portable consoles.

It is my hope that Legends is the beginning of a much needed evolution to the Pokémon series going forward.

So I was hanging around Pokemon remixes on YouTube recently this morning and read through the comments of one of them, and this one really struck out to me:

The above image is quite big, but putting it bluntly, I think this person hit the nail on the head in a way.

"I'm so annoyed that the community wants to settle for the basic Game Boy formula with more content tagged on. I have huge nostalgia for these things, but I don't understand why we can't leave it in the past for a real evolution to the franchise."

Frankly, YouTube comments tend to be a cesspool of shit more often than not, but this comment is spot on.

I think in the midst of all the things people whine about with Pokémon games these days, this is the basic core of the issue at hand.

Pokémon games have thrived for years and years on repeating the revolutionary formula of Red and Green, and adding content to it more and more. Gen 3 and Gen 4 took the formula and refined it and perfected it in a way while adding loads of fun content which made them well known and great, and that was perfect! There's no doubt the likes of Emerald, Platinum, and the likes are fantastic games.

But it's clear at this point, and in many ways it was already clear from the beginning, but that model of sticking to the Red and Green formula and adding to it with every game, plus carrying over stuff from the older games, is inherently unsustainable. A Game Boy game is fairly simple on limited hardware so that worked well. Adding to it and refining it was fine in the 2000s era since the GBA and DS are 2D in terms of art style and graphics.

But as time went on, it's clear that we can't really afford to keep going any longer. This is combined with Pokémon growing to a massive status, and it's such a multimedia franchise with a lot of people at hand that it has to push out games on a strict schedule to align with merchandise and other media to keep the franchise active and alive in people's minds. People give the games flack for being released yearly, but given how much Pokémon has grown, that can't change because of TPC's demands, and it's an inevitable corporate deadline based on that popularity and the pushing of merchandise.

Plus the fact that 3D and especially HD development are necessary for the games now, and those are more resource intensive than the Game Boy was, which is why more corners have been getting cut as of late. Sticking to the Game Boy formula of adding and adding Pokémon and content endlessly isn't going to cut it anymore.

Sword and Shield is a hugely controversial game, yeah, and I won't deny it has a lot of problems, but the Dexit situation, combined with Sword and Shield ending up in the state it's in, is, more than anything, a clear indicator of one thing: That Red and Green formula + added content model has reached its limit. It is clear at this point that they can no longer afford to keep doing this formula and still deliver a game that's up to par with current game standards.

The reason they've still been doing this, unfortunately, is that that formula is what got Pokémon successful in the first place, and people will be pissed if they deviate from it strongly. Because as that comment said, that person has huge nostalgia for the formula the older games have thrived on, and frankly: many people do. Unfortunately, people are resistant to change, and the human brain is resistant to wanting the boat to be rocked. Which creates a lose-lose situation: people still want that basic formula + added content, but that formula is becoming more and more difficult to actually execute successfully. Hence the games have slowly been reinventing themselves in small ways: the focus on story from Gen 5 onwards and the use of very human NPCs who have real, believable and lovable personalities to make for a genuinely compelling characters, and the fact that XY, ORAS, and Gen 7 focus hugely on that, or the little stuff like the Totem Bosses in SM or the Wild Area in Sword and Shield.

But frankly, it's time for a really major reinvention at this point. The franchise needs to change and evolve in a way that allows it to deliver games that are up to modern day standards. The Red and Green formula, while revolutionary for the late 90s and early 2000s, is not going to cut it in today's era. It was fine for the 2010s too since they've made the games in a way that makes them incredibly compelling in their own right and Gens 6 and 7 look really good for 3DS games, plus they made a few reinventions in spite of everything to still make the games great and up to par, the franchise has still been slowly reinventing itself from there in ways that are necessary for modern standards.

But now? It's clear that the franchise is in dire need of an evolution. Sword and Shield's many flaws and criticisms combined with the cutting of content from it is a clear indicator that the model of old isn't going to cut it any longer, and it's time to leave that old Red and Green formula in the past and push for a serious evolution to the series, plus we're now in an era where the games are on home consoles and not just exclusively portable consoles.

It is my hope that Legends is the beginning of a much needed evolution to the Pokémon series going forward.
There's an interesting thing here when it comes to old formulas. I can obviously claim nostalgia for pokemon, but it's not been the only series I've been excited recently primarily for keeping a formula strong. The weird part? The other ones I can't really claim nostaliga for: I only played the old games that produced their formula within the last couple years. So, from my perspective, those games don't need a shakeup because I'm clearly still willing to seek out their older gameplay in today's time. It then undermines the idea that pokemon needs to reinvent itself. Metroid doesn't, Megaman doesn't, Advance Wars doesn't, I find Zelda's and Fire Emblem's most recent major changes to be a step down in enjoyement, why should I want pokemon to reinvent itself?

Part of it is that I consider SwSh to be trying to branch off: a more open world, a larger emphasis on interacting with the mons outside of battle, heavy focus on one specific PvP format. I don't like those changes, and I don't like what was given up to make them. I would rather spend time in Emerald's battle frontier, which is fairly obviously an older iteration of what a pokemon game is.

This was something I personally liked about B2/W2, the fact that you did not get to battle the protagonist from B/W as an opposing trainer in the games. Personally, I have always found Red and the battle against him to be massively overrated. When I played the Johto games, it never felt like I was fighting myself or a past protagonist when I battled him, it just felt like another fight against a generic NPC. So in my opinion, I'd say that B2/W2 did the right thing here and that's one of many reasons as for why I think they were successful sequels, as well as one reason I consider them to be way better sequels than HG/SS.

I disagree. I like how they made sequels to B/W instead of a third version. I think this was a good thing because it meant that you had to play one game from each pair in order to get the full experience, as opposed to other generations where the third/alternate version made the first pair obsolete. For me, there's no reason to go back to G/S, R/S, D/P or S/M when I have Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and US/UM. The third/alternate versions give me a much more complete experience than the first pairs. I'm very happy that this did not happen in Gen 5, it made the generation feel more complete for me. I think the 5th Gen game pairs complement each other extremely well, I don't think any other games set in both the same region and generation managed to accomplish this.

Apart from that, I disagree with most of the other things you said, just wanted to comment on these two things.
Yeah this is a truly unpopular take, I don't expect many to agree with me. As I said, the Red fight in HGSS offers closure. It resolves the question of who did it better. Without that fight, you would end the game with that question unresolved, with Red getting the edge due to being first and you simply following in his footsteps. Not to mention the version of Team Rocket in Johto being heavily watered down compared to Kanto.

Similarly, Team Plasma is a fractured organization in B2W2. In BW they are arguably the best villain team in the series. If I had to choose, I would say the BW protagonist's achievements are more impressive compared to B2W2's for the simple fact that the former took down Team Plasma at its apex. But we don't have that sense of closure like in HGSS to decide who is ultimately better. It's a missed opportunity in my view.

Your second point is a good one, in that this way both sets of Gen 5 games preserve their relevance. However, I believe both sets are lacking something as a result. BW lacks a solid post game battle facility like Battle Frontier or PWT + Black Tower/White Treehollow, and B2W2 lacks a great main campaign like BW's since you basically do the same thing of saving Unova from Team Plasma, only on a smaller and less impressive scale. Which is why I wish they combined the best elements of both sets of games to create one definitive version. As it stands, without such a version I cannot rank either game with more complete experiences like Platinum or Emerald.

Yeah this is a truly unpopular take, I don't expect many to agree with me. As I said, the Red fight in HGSS offers closure. It resolves the question of who did it better. Without that fight, you would end the game with that question unresolved, with Red getting the edge due to being first and you simply following in his footsteps. Not to mention the version of Team Rocket in Johto being heavily watered down compared to Kanto.

Similarly, Team Plasma is a fractured organization in B2W2. In BW they are arguably the best villain team in the series. If I had to choose, I would say the BW protagonist's achievements are more impressive compared to B2W2's for the simple fact that the former took down Team Plasma at its apex. But we don't have that sense of closure like in HGSS to decide who is ultimately better. It's a missed opportunity in my view.

Your second point is a good one, in that this way both sets of Gen 5 games preserve their relevance. However, I believe both sets are lacking something as a result. BW lacks a solid post game battle facility like Battle Frontier or PWT + Black Tower/White Treehollow, and B2W2 lacks a great main campaign like BW's since you basically do the same thing of saving Unova from Team Plasma, only on a smaller and less impressive scale. Which is why I wish they combined the best elements of both sets of games to create one definitive version. As it stands, without such a version I cannot rank either game with more complete experiences like Platinum or Emerald.
That's fair. I just never cared much for Red as an NPC or the fight against him. One other aspect of him I dislike is the fact that he is still silent even as an NPC. I think having a silent protagonist in the games is fine, but still keeping him silent when making him an NPC was a bad decision IMO. This just made him feel more underwhelming to me.

Team Plasma got fractured in B2/W2 (or split in two, one old and one new, each with different goals) and I agree that they were at their very best in B/W. But I'm not sure if I would say that the B/W protagonist had more impressive achievements than the B2/W2 protagonist. This is something I have never really thought that much about to be honest, I have never really compared the achievements of the different protagonists that much. But if I were to do so now, I don't think I would only look at what they did during the main story. There are other things too, notably post-game stuff like Battle Facilities and other tough post-game battles as well as completing the Pokédex, so I think it is quite even between the protagonists from B/W and B2/W2 in that regard. That's just my opinion though.

That's an understandable point of view. I partly agree, but I think the things the respective Gen 5 pairs are lacking are mostly minor. B/W doesn't have the PWT or a Battle Frontier, but there's still the Subway (as well as the Institute). Plus, there has never been a first pair with more than one or two battle facilities, they have always just had the standard facility as well as one extra since Gen 5 (not including the S/S DLC since it added more to the base games). I also think B/W are among the best when it comes to post-games for a first pair, tied with D/P. This is very subjective, but I liked the main story of B2/W2 as well. It wasn't quite as great as the one in B/W, but I still think it was good. The sequels also performed excellently in other areas during the main game, like having the largest regional dex for their time as well as letting you travel through the region in a partly different way. I understand how you wanted them to combine the two game pairs into one, but personally, I am glad they didn't. If they had done so, I would only need to play "Gray" nowadays, and have no reason to play B/W anymore. Similar to how I only need Platinum from Gen 4 nowadays, I no longer have any reason to play D/P. I also really liked how B/W and B2/W2 did many things very differently from each other, yet they still managed to be quite similar in the end. In comparison, "Gray" would probably have been way more similar to B/W than B2/W2 ended up being (like how Emerald/Platinum was more similar to D/P & R/S), which I would probably not have appreciated as much.

That's fair. I just never cared much for Red as an NPC or the fight against him. One other aspect of him I dislike is the fact that he is still silent even as an NPC. I think having a silent protagonist in the games is fine, but still keeping him silent when making him an NPC was a bad decision IMO. This just made him feel more underwhelming to me.
I agree, keeping Red silent was a poor design choice. I guess they were both paying homage to his silent protagonist origins as well going for the badass "strong, silent type" vibe, but in practice it makes no sense. Makes you wonder how he orders his Pokémon in battle. Or if they're just so in sync that he telepathically communicates with them. Pretty stupid.

Though I chalk this up more to execution of the fight rather than concept. Another miss regarding execution was bloating his levels beyond reason, instead of giving him quality Pokémon. Like for example Mewtwo, which he canonically caught and would have been a terrific final boss.

I agree, keeping Red silent was a poor design choice. I guess they were both paying homage to his silent protagonist origins as well going for the badass "strong, silent type" vibe, but in practice it makes no sense. Makes you wonder how he orders his Pokémon in battle. Or if they're just so in sync that he telepathically communicates with them. Pretty stupid.

Though I chalk this up more to execution of the fight rather than concept. Another miss regarding execution was bloating his levels beyond reason, instead of giving him quality Pokémon. Like for example Mewtwo, which he canonically caught and would have been a terrific final boss.
Yeah, Red having Mewtwo would've been sick! The Pokemon Stadium 2 game literally has you fight Red using the Legendary Beasts and the Rival having Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Mewtwo, and we literally get N using Zekrom/Reshiram against you depending on the game, so it's a very reasonable choice. Pokemon Adventures Red also has Mewtwo IIRC and other alternate versions of him capture the big guy too. It would even kinda explain why you can't find him any more in Cerulean City. Not that I'm gonna complain too much about the fight, I love it (nightmare as it is for Nuzlockers).

And as much as I hate to say it, I'm okay with Red being...kinda stratospheric in might and levels. He's the ultimate trainer, it makes sense he's basically OP haha (far more so than Lance or even Blue).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)