Unpopular opinions

what do you have against my guy :psycry:
I like Heatmor's design (looks great). I hate Heatmor mostly for gameplay reasons in BW1. It DID save me in a Nuzlocke once but yeah it's still painfully mediocre.

I love Eiscue! It was actually a star player on my first VGC team for SwShwhich was a Hail Team. Manage to get top 100 in the Masterball Tier. Eiscue would take a hit thanks to Ice Face and be able to set up Belly Drum. Then Abomasnow would switch in and reset the Hail, giving Eiscue a free hit. Eiscue could also reset Ice Face by switching between Max Hailstorm and Geyser. Its extremely valuable for stalling out Dynamax of opposing Pokémon.
Also that's sick nasty, congrats dude!

Am I seriously like the only person who likes Eiscue?

View attachment 383458
Like sure it's derpy without the Noice Face (the no-Ice pun I only got when it was pointed out, A+ wordplay imo) but I love the Ability with the weird uncanny cold unending stare of Ice Face and and anything that makes me think of Pengu (even if I've never seen it) is pretty amusing, check out this GIF:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/TVPJNp47j5EA0/giphy.gif

In all seriousness, derpy Pokemon yes, but I find it kinda endearing in a vein similar to Quagsire in the levels of not giving a crap of anything, sure it's basic but I still kinda like it. Worst Pokemon ever? For sure no, that's...still probably Heatmor outside of joke mons to me. Does it copy Mimikyu Ability-wise? Kinda. But it's fine, at least to me.
I adore Eiscue

Is it a terrific, mindblowing design? No, but it's cute and funny. I'll probably use it whenever I replay Pokemon Shield

I adore Eiscue

Is it a terrific, mindblowing design? No, but it's cute and funny. I'll probably use it whenever I replay Pokemon Shield
Have fun with that 2% encounter rate on Route 10 buddy (dunno about the Wild Area stuff though)!

seriously I hate this about modern generations, let’s make 80% of new mons impossible to find without meandering for ages or consulting 85 wiki pages

Have fun with that 2% encounter rate on Route 10 buddy (dunno about the Wild Area stuff though)!

seriously I hate this about modern generations, let’s make 80% of new mons impossible to find without meandering for ages or consulting 85 wiki pages
Yep, it's very much locked to late-game. All the dynamax dens require 5-stars, the Lake of Outrage spawns are lvl 50, and Route 10 is, of course, endgame. Why, WHY does GF hate Ice-types so much?

Yep, it's very much locked to late-game. All the dynamax dens require 5-stars, the Lake of Outrage spawns are lvl 50, and Route 10 is, of course, endgame. Why, WHY does GF hate Ice-types so much?
I don't think it's deliberate. They are probably going in a "Ice-types live in cold regions" -> "Cold regions are harsh" -> "Harsh regions are late-game" kind of logic.

(Which is funny as I've started playing Puyo Puyo Chronicle, as the English patch has been released, and the cold region is the second one you visit)

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
It is not an unpopular opinion, but it is good to remember that several if not most single-staged Pokémon tend to be unpopular for one or more of the following reason:
  • Lacking stats or poor stat distribution, or poor movepool for the moment it is obtained, and a lack of evolution leading to further disappointment.
  • Generally seen as unappealing or even outright appaling for the general audience. This problem is not exclusive to single-staged or once-single-staged Pokémon in general, but it is very prevalant.
  • Out-of-the-way or late-game combined with high rarity.
  • Strictly overshadowed by what came before (i.e. Turtonator being overshadowed by Torkoal).
  • Too gimmicky for its own good.
Each Pokémon have their own share of fans, but there is no denying that some are just more unpopular than others.

To keep in-track of this thread’s name, I got an opinion that might be unpopular.

A Pokémon’s design shouldn’t be the only thing that matters to a Pokémon. The reason is that like art is subjective, design is subjective, and a design that is perceived as great can also be a trap for severe disappointment, i.e. awkward or weak stats, poor movepool, out-of-the-way obtention or convoluted evolution method, to the point it can hurt one’s perception to that Pokémon greatly.

There is a reason why a thread about disappointing Pokémon despite looking good initially exists.

I don't think it's deliberate. They are probably going in a "Ice-types live in cold regions" -> "Cold regions are harsh" -> "Harsh regions are late-game" kind of logic.

(Which is funny as I've started playing Puyo Puyo Chronicle, as the English patch has been released, and the cold region is the second one you visit)
Unironically I think you aren't wrong.

Almost every RPG usually has that design archetype for ice region. Cold > Harsh > Difficult to survive in > High level / endgame regions.
There are exceptions obviously but it's *usually* the case.

I think Ice type pokemon are just unfortunate victim of a common JRPG trope.

Interesting references:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SortingAlgorithmOfThreateningGeography
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlippySlideyIceWorld

I think the Gen 1 games' myriad of glitches adds to the generation's unique appeal. The games themselves as they were intended to be played are obviously awesome in and of themselves, but the sheer volume of ways you could unravel them is something special, and is a part of Gen 1's appeal that sadly, no remake can ever recapture.

The elemental monkeys are cool and underrated for ingame use. The Pansear line in particular has only gotten better as of Gen 6 due to the Incinerate buff. And Simisear just looks cool.

Good Shiny colors > ugly Shiny colors >>>>> not being able to tell it's Shiny until it sparkles

It's OK to like either Plusle or Minun without automatically lumping the two together.

Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are good games.

PWT >>>> Battle Frontier

Z-Moves > Mega Evolution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dynamax

Phione's cute appearance validates its existence as a Pokémon, even in spite of being objectively inferior to Manaphy in terms of viability in every way conceivable.

Heavily disagree on the cute part, these birds give me no emotion other than "wow, this sure one of the most birds of all time". Though taste is subjective
You're just mad birds mistake you for a tree :psysly:

It's kinda funny how later Gen Birds mostly are obvious for origin, but 1s are an amalgation of sorts

Pidgey is a Waxwing/Sparrow, and raptor beak mix, Pidgeotto/Pidgeot is like a sparrow/cockatoo/eagle/hawk mix. Fearow is a vulture, crane, and some other thing. Even Duduo/Dodrio is weird given its crane beak, raptor feet, and ostrich/emu body

Zapdos could be a hummingbird for all we know, Articuno initially had a parrot beak that became more like a sparrows, and Moltres is the only one distinct that's a flaming chicken phoenix

This is weirder given many water mons are blatantly solo for origin, and GFs 1996 dex book addresses why

So I wouldn't say they were lazy, even if colors are drab. It's just like birds irl, their unique features are easily taken for granted

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Heavily disagree on the cute part, these birds give me no emotion other than "wow, this sure one of the most birds of all time". Though taste is subjective
Being the first gen bird I think that what they were going for, lol. Still, Pidgeot does rock that crest.

"It's not my fault your hair isn't as luxurious as mine. Don't hate the player, hate the game."

And Simisear just looks cool.
We found him. The only one who voted for Simisear! :psynervous:

PWT >>>> Battle Frontier

Phione's cute appearance validates its existence as a Pokémon, even in spite of being objectively inferior to Manaphy in terms of viability in every way conceivable.
Let's Go: Nowadays I don't think anyone has anything really against Let's Go (especially after GF backpedaled saying it wasn't part of the core series, just the main series). At most people still don't like how the GO Mechanic was forced in and essentially replaced Wild Battles.

PWT & Battle Frontier: Why not both? And they don't need to be separate, I can think of a few ways of combining them. Also where are the Elite Four, PWT, they're just as memorable as the Gym Leaders & Champions?

Phione: Eh, I think they could still do a bit more with it. Like, it's a offspring of a Legendary Pokemon, surely it could be given some special things so that it's not just an inferior Manaphy. Personally I think it should get a Signature Move where it temporarily transforms into a Manaphy (but with Phione's color scheme), showing that deep down it does have a power of a Legendary, it just needs to consciously activate it.

I think the Gen 1 games' myriad of glitches adds to the generation's unique appeal. The games themselves as they were intended to be played are obviously awesome in and of themselves, but the sheer volume of ways you could unravel them is something special, and is a part of Gen 1's appeal that sadly, no remake can ever recapture.

The elemental monkeys are cool and underrated for ingame use. The Pansear line in particular has only gotten better as of Gen 6 due to the Incinerate buff. And Simisear just looks cool.

Good Shiny colors > ugly Shiny colors >>>>> not being able to tell it's Shiny until it sparkles

It's OK to like either Plusle or Minun without automatically lumping the two together.

PWT >>>> Battle Frontier

Z-Moves > Mega Evolution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dynamax

Gen 1 Glitches: Honestly I agree. I feel like Pokemon Red is a ton more interesting to revisit compared to something like the original Super Mario Bros. You could even compare it to Super Mario 64.

Monkeys: I don't care about the Fire or Water monkeys but I actually like Pansage and Simisage. Nothing crazy, but it's not a bad design at all. Weird how monkeys are some of my favorite animals and yet the only ones I like are Simisage and Oranguru (maybe Primeape, he's funny)

Shinies: Hard disagree. Atleast with barely changed Shinies, it doesn't actively make the Pokemon worse. For a design like Garchomp and Gengar, I'm glad their shinies don't make them look awful, even if they're very boring and plain.

LGPE: These games definitely have stuff going for them but I couldn't get into it because of the catching mechanic.

Gimmicks: I'd have to say Z-Moves > Dynamax > Megas. This is mostly from a casual standpoint. I honestly like a lot about Z moves. I like the goofy dances, the powerful animations, the names, how they replace "badges" in USUM. They feel especially epic in the Anime. Dynamax is also cool too, I like how epic it makes battles feel in the game. Megas are fine, but I have a lot to pick with them. For one, it completely ruined the chances of Pokemon like Mawile, Bannete, and Sableye ever getting evolutions. That's fucking annoying. I also dislike how they were handled in game. In a standard X playthrough, you only get access to the Kanto starters Megas, Mega Ampharos (for some reason), Mega Lucario, Mega Gengar I think, and Mega Abomasnow. Everything else is locked behind post-game. While I like how they make weak Pokemon stronger, it also kinda feels...artificial? In a way. Like yeah now Mawile is good, but only in this temporary form. Competitive wise Megas quash the other two though.

Phionne: I'd agree if Manaphy wasn't way cuter than Phionne

I don't find sobble cute and instead a bit weird looking (I know I'm gonna get a billion replies saying YoU'rE tHe ReAsOn iT cRiEs)
Fax
Legit, the whole "Starters are forcibly made to a set personality" since Gen 5 has been limiting, and typically just flanderized by the anime. 5 ironically managed to deter it with the inverse for the anime, but mostly the scheme is already there
same with big head syndrome. RSE was pushing it, but then FRLG blatantly made Charmander and Bulba forcibly bloated
Sobble is both of these. Big head, and flanderized

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Since the BDSP leaks have made this a topic of discussion again, I just wanna say no matter how my opinions on that game change overtime I cannot and will not ever give credit to HGSS for "preserving Crystal's additions". The reason for this is simple: What even was there to preserve? Crystal did not make anywhere near the degree of changes to the original the likes of Emerald and Platinum did. Acknowledging Crystal was literally as easy as just shoving in a handful of Eusine and Suicune mini-cutscenes, and you cannot seriously argue that those would be enough to significantly affect the game's quality if they weren't around. I guess there was also the beasts getting remixes of their Crystal-only themes but every remake has remixed songs from the enhanced versions so that doesn't count.

Since the BDSP leaks have made this a topic of discussion again, I just wanna say no matter how my opinions on that game change overtime I cannot and will not ever give credit to HGSS for "preserving Crystal's additions". The reason for this is simple: What even was there to preserve? Crystal did not make anywhere near the degree of changes to the original the likes of Emerald and Platinum did. Acknowledging Crystal was literally as easy as just shoving in a handful of Eusine and Suicune mini-cutscenes, and you cannot seriously argue that those would be enough to significantly affect the game's quality if they weren't around. I guess there was also the beasts getting remixes of their Crystal-only themes but every remake has remixed songs from the enhanced versions so that doesn't count.
There was the odd egg and certain Crystal encounters like early game Phanpy and Sneasel in the Ice Cave. Granted, HGSS does let you obtain Misdreavus and Murkrow before Kanto, but you sadly can’t obtain Dusk Stone before the E4, meaning you are stuck with unevolved Pokémon unless you trade with the Sinnoh games.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
HG/SS also preserved everything nobody wanted it to preserve. Strange, this all feels very familiar.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
HGSS actually removed one particularly great thing from Crystal, and that's that they got rid of Kris and replaced her with the inferior Lyra as the girl protagonist.

Kris is the OG girl protagonist and her inclusion in Crystal was a huge, huge deal back in Crystal's release. And she's a great protagonist design, she's just got that proper "Trainer out on an adventure" vibe in her design that really works.

HGSS for whatever goddamn reason decided to replace her with the infinitely inferior Lyra, who while by no means a bad design, is by all means a step down from Kris and also does a huge disservice to her since Kris was the very first girl protagonist in the Pokemon series and the ORIGINAL: such disrespect! Lyra isn't a bad design, per se, but she definitely doesn't have that Trainer out on an adventure to catch Pokemon and battle vibe that Kris nailed, and she's also inferior to Ethan/Gold who is also a peak protagonist design in and of himself.

That was an utter disservice to one of the biggest things Crystal introduced, I mean Kris deserves to be treated better than that. HGSS completely disrespected Kris and her legacy.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
There was the odd egg and certain Crystal encounters like early game Phanpy and Sneasel in the Ice Cave. Granted, HGSS does let you obtain Misdreavus and Murkrow before Kanto, but you sadly can’t obtain Dusk Stone before the E4, meaning you are stuck with unevolved Pokémon unless you trade with the Sinnoh games.
HGSS didn't include early-game Phanpy, or Teddiursa come to that. Sneasel cannot be caught in the Ice Path in HGSS either. In fact, I'm not sure HGSS retained any of the tweaks Crystal made to Pokemon availability.

We should be grateful they bothered to include the Odd Egg at all, because otherwise it followed GS's distributions very closely.

HGSS didn't include early-game Phanpy, or Teddiursa come to that. Sneasel cannot be caught in the Ice Path in HGSS either. In fact, I'm not sure HGSS retained any of the tweaks Crystal made to Pokemon availability.

We should be grateful they bothered to include the Odd Egg at all, because otherwise it followed GS's distributions very closely.
The Odd Egg from Crystal ISN'T in HGSS, though. The closest thing to it are the slugma, mareep, and wooper eggs you can grab in violet city if you give Primo a certain combination of phrases that are based on your ID number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)