Updating the Pokémon Dictionary

This article is an accompaniment to the Introduction to Competitive Pokémon article, and its value shouldn't need to be explained. Any dictionary requires subsequent revisions, though, and I obtained Theorymon's permission to post a thread about updating. Here, suggest removals, additions, or modifications to the article, and should they be good / accrue significant approval, I or another SCMSer will edit the page. Please note that, to be included, the abbreviation or term must be a regular and notable part of Pokémon vernacular. Make sure to mention what you're editing. Also keep in mind that this is intended to span multiple generations, so some phrases used here may not pertain to Gen IV, but still belong.

Here are my suggestions for now:

Moves:

• LS: Light Screen
  • DP: DynamicPunch
  • NS: Night Slash (I've seen this used before, thoughts?)
  • RP: Rock Polish
  • S-Toss / Stoss: Seismic Toss
  • TR: Trick Room
Sets:

• MixMence: Either of two mixed Salamence movesets with Life Orb. Classic MixMence is Rash with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Brick Break, and Roost and New MixMence is Naive with Draco Meteor, Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Outrage.
  • Merge GyaraVire and GyaraJolt.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not sure if we want stuff like 'spin' and 'wisp' so just ignore those if we don't
Moves:
SP: Sucker-punch (i'm not exactly sure if the - is meant to be there) or Superpower.
Wisp: Will-O-Wisp
RS/Spin: Rapid spin
FP: we have it in as focus punch but it's also used a fair bit as 'fully paralysed/full paralysis' thoughts?
Sub: Substitute
GK: Grass Knot
not sure about this one: DP: Dragon Pulse (seen it used before but its not extremely common) (though its used more then NS:night slash) (ontop of that DP = dynamic punch is more common then this too)
IB: Ice Beam
EP: Earth Power
not sure about this one either: F-thrower: Flamethrower ('duh', not sure if its worth adding because of the 'duh' factor plus its not super common)
General Movesets:
Resttalk: Rest + Sleeptalk

Commonly Used Terms and Abbreviations:
SS: Sandstorm (if that would go here)

Sets:
SalaZone/MagneMence: Salamence and Magnezone being used as a primarily offensive core. Salamence is resistant to Magnezone's Fighting-, Fire- and Ground-weakness while Magnezone resists Salamences Ice- and Rock-type weaknesses. (maybe mention that they resist every type in the game between the two of them). Magnezone traps the steel types that inhibit Salamence from sweeping, allowing Salamence more versatility as it does not need to run a fire move to beat the forementioned steel types. I'm sure someone can write this better then me, that's just rough.

Does hax have to "critically affect the outcome of the match" to be deemed 'hax'?

You're stuff looks good to me jumpluff. I'll add in more stuff to this post as I/if I think of it.

Edited in several of the more obvious suggestions. Proposing we move Resttalker into the Sets, since I don't see Resttalker as a role so much anymore. Also adding Rain Dance as RD.

"Sleep absorber" might be referenced as a role; many teams have one in order to deal with Sleep leads, and other random sleep-move-users. My suggested definition would be "A Pokémon that is not hampered much by being put to sleep by its opponent, designed to switch into sleep-inducing moves in order to activate Sleep Clause. Usually uses Sleep Talk and Rest." It's not quite the same as a RestTalker, because RestTalk is a moveset (which happens to make you a good sleep absorber, but is often used for other reasons too), whereas a sleep absorber is a team role (and especially in Ubers, you can see some weird sleep absorbers, like sleep talk + three attacks Pokémon); I can see a case for adding both the team role and its usual set to the dictionary.

That's a good one. If nobody has any objections, I'll submit a definition for Sleep absorber, remove RestTalker, and add RestTalk to the sets (mentioning it goes by restalk)

panamaxis said:
Does hax have to "critically affect the outcome of the match" to be deemed 'hax'?
Yes, I believe that it does have to affect the outcome of a match. Scoring a critical hit when the opponent would have died anyway has no meaningful impact on the game, and despite some people incorrectly crying "hax" over such an event, I don't think it actually is. Perhaps "critically" affect the outcome of a match is a stretch, but it definitely should affect the outcome of the match in some meaningful way to be called hax.

I'd like to move that CC is used basically unambiguously for Close Combat and not for Cross Chop. Of the Pokemon that use Cross Chop, most people simply spell out the full name or call it "CChop" or some variant thereof. The same applies for BB and Brave Bird - almost no one uses BB to describe Brick Break, they would say BBreak or something like that. I'd also like to move for FB standing as Fire Blast; I've seen it used a lot.

For General Movesets, we should add in Parafusion, SubPetaya, Cleric, and Anti-Lead.

For Specific Sets and Pokemon Combinations, we should add MixMence, MixApe, MixMamo, MixVire, Tinkerbell, TormenTran (An oft-used abbreviation for Torment Heatran), HeaTrap, and MSDos.

For the record, I feel that RestTalk is more of a General Moveset than anything else and that we should also have a Sleep Absorber.

I'd also be more than happy to write any descriptions if you don't want to.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The same applies for BB and Brave Bird - almost no one uses BB to describe Brick Break, they would say BBreak or something like that.
I use BB for Brick Break, and occasionally Brave Bird. I see it used for Brick Break easily as often as Brave Bird (probably partly due to more LC 'mons being viable with Brick Break). Luckily very few Pokemon use both, so it's pretty easy to use the same abbreviation.

Could Sleep Absorber be generalised to a Pokemon which can switch into sleep moves without too many problems? You also get things like Insomnia/Vital Spirit Pokemon which fill much the same role as standard sleep absorbers, prevent something important going to sleep (not via sleep clause, but it has a similar effect).

Also, I'd like to see LC included in commonly used terms (ideally with a link to the LC guide), possibly alongside the Lv. 100 tiers. SE is listed under moves, but gives Super Effective as another thing it is used as an abbreviation of, which is not a move. Maybe list in both sections?

Yes, I believe that it does have to affect the outcome of a match. Scoring a critical hit when the opponent would have died anyway has no meaningful impact on the game, and despite some people incorrectly crying "hax" over such an event, I don't think it actually is. Perhaps "critically" affect the outcome of a match is a stretch, but it definitely should affect the outcome of the match in some meaningful way to be called hax.

I'd like to move that CC is used basically unambiguously for Close Combat and not for Cross Chop. Of the Pokemon that use Cross Chop, most people simply spell out the full name or call it "CChop" or some variant thereof. The same applies for BB and Brave Bird - almost no one uses BB to describe Brick Break, they would say BBreak or something like that. I'd also like to move for FB standing as Fire Blast; I've seen it used a lot.

For General Movesets, we should add in Parafusion, SubPetaya, Cleric, and Anti-Lead.

For Specific Sets and Pokemon Combinations, we should add MixMence, MixApe, MixMamo, MixVire, Tinkerbell, TormenTran (An oft-used abbreviation for Torment Heatran), HeaTrap, and MSDos.

For the record, I feel that RestTalk is more of a General Moveset than anything else and that we should also have a Sleep Absorber.

I'd also be more than happy to write any descriptions if you don't want to.
Some of these are in roles. I'm not sure about the sets you suggested, but MS-Dos is probably relevant. I already suggested MixMence. I'm not sure if the Sub/Pinch Berries are mentioned anywhere but if not I will include them. Thanks!

ETA: edited some things. Most notably I changed the example for Status Absorber to reflect sleep absorbing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)