BSS Urshifu G-Max

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for taking a few hours to post this, I played Pokemon Go for 6 hours straight lmao

:ss/urshifu:

Urshifu-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Counter / Taunt

Focus Sash with decent bulk may seem strange, but with it, Urshifu can perform some very powerful, specialized combat arts! Counter and Focus Sash make Urshifu a powerful answer to physical Dynamax sweepers such as Cinderace and Landorus-T without needing to Gigantamax itself. With Taunt, Urshifu becomes an effective anti-lead, shutting down Stealth Rock setters such as Swampert. Regardless of which move you use, this Urshifu is more easily walled than others, with Tapu Fini and defensive Zapdos in particular being issues for it. When using Counter, Stealth Rock setters such as Landorus-T, Swampert, and Hippowdon can also be problematic early-game. Ferrothorn makes a great partner in this case, checking Tapu Fini and threatening Swampert and Hippowdon. Tapu Fini itself is a good ally against Stealth Rock setters, shutting them down with Taunt or dealing massive damage. Alternately, Dracovish offers a more offensive fighting style. Finally, Rhyperior and Nihilego are great against Zapdos. Overall, this set is a major part of Battle Stadium Singles, so maybe Mustard was onto something when he gave his Kubfu a Focus Sash!

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So this is ready for QC, I got three main thoughts in my mind.

- I wouldn't mind actually killing Poison Jab on the set. While Sash Urshifu using a 4th attack isn't unheard of, Counter and Taunt are far more common options, and help highlight the uniqueness of this particular Urshifu better imo. Of course this is up for another QC member to decide!

- This is a bit awkward, but while the mon is labeled as Urshifu-Gmax, This Urshifu actually very rarely Gigantamaxes. Should I address that, or is it fine as is?

- This is currently at 1.1k characters. I'll be shortening and making things more concise to reach under 1k!

EDIT: whoops, I included spaces. This is actually 926 characters! I should be able to fit in the Gigantamax line in then, I'll do it if the QC checker that looks at this is cool with it!

Last edited:

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Oops, sorry I forgot about checking this. I think this spotlight covers all the main points of the sash Urshifu set, and I do think dropping Poison Jab is probably worth it to really keep the focus on what this set does well in the current meta game i.e. surprise KOs on physical Dynamax and strong anti-lead. It probably is worth mentioning that this Urshifu shouldn't be a primary Dynamax target, and I think you can do that pretty easily by slipping in something like "With Counter and Focus Sash, Urshifu makes a powerful answer to physical Dynamax sweepers such as Cinderace and Landorus-T without the need to Dynamax itself."

Other than those things, QC check is done!

Theorymon

I made the changes, and also added a cheeky mention of how Mustard actually uses Focus Sash Kubfu in the DLC, so maybe he was onto something!

I also made a few flavor changes to the text to make it sound a bit more "martial artish". I didn't go as far as to say, use karate terminology since that's probably too obscure for our audience, but I figured saying stuff like "fighting arts", "warriors", and "grappling" gives this a subtly more distinct flavor.

Anyways, this is ready for GP!

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
1/1
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Counter / Taunt

Focus Sash with decent bulk may seem strange, but with it, Urshifu can preform perform some very powerful, specialized combat arts! (Makes it less weird ig) Counter and Focus Sash make Urshifu a powerful answer to physical Dynamax sweepers such as Cinderace and Landorus-T,(RC) without needing to Gigantamax itself. With Taunt, Urshifu becomes an effective anti-lead, putting shutting down Stealth Rock setters such as Swampert into a chokehold. Regardless of which move you use, this Urshifu is more easily walled than others, with Tapu Fini and defensive Zapdos in particular being issues for it. When using Counter, Stealth Rock setters such as Landorus-T, Swampert, and Hippowdon can also be problematic early-game. Ferrothorn makes a great sparring partner in this case, grappling (not rly sure what you mean here) checking Tapu Fini and threatening Swampert and Hippowdon. Tapu Fini itself is a good ally against Stealth Rock setters, shutting them down with Taunt or dealing massive damage. Alternately, Dracovish offers a more offensive fighting style. Finally, Rhyperior and Nihilego are great warriors against Zapdos. Overall, this set is a major part of Battle Stadium Singles, so maybe Mustard was onto something when he gave his Kubfu a Focus Sash!

Last edited:

Theorymon

1/1
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Counter / Taunt

Focus Sash with decent bulk may seem strange, but with it, Urshifu can preform perform some very powerful, specialized combat arts! (Makes it less weird ig) Counter and Focus Sash make Urshifu a powerful answer to physical Dynamax sweepers such as Cinderace and Landorus-T,(RC) without needing to Gigantamax itself. With Taunt, Urshifu becomes an effective anti-lead, putting shutting down Stealth Rock setters such as Swampert into a chokehold. Regardless of which move you use, this Urshifu is more easily walled than others, with Tapu Fini and defensive Zapdos in particular being issues for it. When using Counter, Stealth Rock setters such as Landorus-T, Swampert, and Hippowdon can also be problematic early-game. Ferrothorn makes a great sparring partner in this case, grappling (not rly sure what you mean here) checking Tapu Fini and threatening Swampert and Hippowdon. Tapu Fini itself is a good ally against Stealth Rock setters, shutting them down with Taunt or dealing massive damage. Alternately, Dracovish offers a more offensive fighting style. Finally, Rhyperior and Nihilego are great warriors against Zapdos. Overall, this set is a major part of Battle Stadium Singles, so maybe Mustard was onto something when he gave his Kubfu a Focus Sash!
Thanks, I implemented your stuff! Yeah, I think the "martial arts" stuff I added was too ambiguous lol.

This is now done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)