move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Close Combat
item: Focus Sash
ability: Unseen Fist
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
in-battle alt: Gmax

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S equipped with a Focus Sash is top notch at winning one-on-one situations, effectively beating most physical attackers with Focus Sash intact and dealing immense damage to subsequent Pokemon before fainting.

* Wicked Blow guarantees a critical hit against the receiver, making it a particularly good option against Pokemon attempting to wall Urshifu-S with Defense boosts.

* Counter is a useful move for Urshifu-S, allowing it to defeat Gigantamax Cinderace and other physical Dynamax sweepers if it keeps Focus Sash intact.

* Sucker Punch allows Urshifu-S to deal damage against faster foes that could deal lethal damage, seriously threatening non-status Dragapult sets and getting significant chip onto other Pokemon before fainting.

* Finally, Close Combat allows Urshifu-S to check the likes of Porygon2, Lapras, and Snorlax and is a good complementary STAB move alongside Wicked Blow.

* A Jolly nature is chosen to outspeed Mimikyu's Shadow Sneak with Sucker Punch after going down to 1 HP.

* An Adamant nature can be opted for if you wish to deal greater amounts of damage at the expense of its otherwise effective Speed tier.

* Gigantamax Urshifu-S is generally chosen to gain access to G-Max One Blow, a Max Move that goes through opposing Max Guard, which is more useful than a Special Defense drop that Max Darkness would otherwise give.

[SET]
name: Choice Item
move 1: Wicked Blow
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Iron Head / Thunder Punch / Sucker Punch
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S, when equipped with a Choice Item, becomes a potent U-turn pivot with powerful physical wallbreaking ability through its fantastic dual STAB combination. It is also difficult for foes to scout its Choice-locked move with Protect due to Unseen Fist.

* Wicked Blow is a tremendous wallbreaking move, with its guaranteed critical hit making it very difficult to set-up on or switch into.

* Close Combat works in concert with Wicked Blow, covering opposing Dark- and Fighting-types that can otherwise tank Wicked Blow.

* U-turn is required to quickly pivot out of bad matchups and predicted switch-ins in order to avoid being locked into an unfavorable move selection.

* Iron Head gives Urshifu-S a reasonable attack against Fairy-types, which are otherwise a natural counter to it, and the flinch chance gives it a chance to beat Mimikyu.

* Thunder Punch allows Urshifu-S to beat Gyarados and still does notable damage against Togekiss.

* Sucker Punch, while awkward when Choice-locked, gives Urshifu-S a potent priority option which does significant damage to Pokemon like Dragapult, which Urshifu-S can OHKO with Choice Band.

* A Choice Scarf allows Ushifu-S to get the jump on Cinderace and Dragapult, which would otherwise be able to comfortably check or cripple it.

* A Choice Band helps Urshifu-S become a potent wallbreaker, 2HKOing the likes of Toxapex and Corviknight and eliminating virtually all switch-ins that do not resist it.

* A Jolly nature is important to outspeed Galarian Darmanitan and Mimikyu, while an Adamant nature makes Urshifu-S even more difficult for physical walls to take consecutive hits.

* Despite Choice item Urshifu-S rarely activating Gigantamax, the Gigantamax forme is still chosen to gain access to G-Max One Blow to go through opposing Max Guard, which is more useful than a Special Defense drop from Max Darkness.

Team Options
============

Urshifu-S struggles against Fairy- and Flying-types, both of which are relatively common in the metagame. Bringing checks to these helps greatly improve the effectiveness of all of Urshifu-S's sets.

* Fairy-type Checks: :magnezone: :ferrothorn: :excadrill: :corviknight: :toxapex: :aegislash:

* Flying-type Checks: :dracozolt: :lapras: :darmanitan-galar: :toxtricity: :cloyster: :rotom-heat::rotom-wash:

Last edited by a moderator:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I don't have much to say about this one, the sets look fine to me. For teammates I think we can probably leave out Durant for now though, just because it's dropped off so far usage-wise that I'm not sure it'll ever recover. If it does come back up for whatever reason we can put it back up.

Also may as well add Rotom-Wash as a Flying check just so people who read this don't wondering why one Rotom is listed but not the other. Cloyster might suffer from the same fate as Durant I think but you definitely still see it enough (at least on PS) that I think that mention is fine.

Otherwise I think this is good enough for QC 1/2 as is.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I don't have much to say about this one, the sets look fine to me. For teammates I think we can probably leave out Durant for now though, just because it's dropped off so far usage-wise that I'm not sure it'll ever recover. If it does come back up for whatever reason we can put it back up.

Also may as well add Rotom-Wash as a Flying check just so people who read this don't wondering why one Rotom is listed but not the other. Cloyster might suffer from the same fate as Durant I think but you definitely still see it enough (at least on PS) that I think that mention is fine.

Otherwise I think this is good enough for QC 1/2 as is.
Done. RIP Durant you will be missed.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright time to check this big bear! I actually don't really have much to add, except I think we need to address Gmax vs Dynamax for Urshifu-S. Basically, Gmax Wicked Blow ignores Max Guard, which is really cool if you have to Dynamax Urshifu-S (granted, that probably isn't gonna happen tooooo often), which is gonna be more useful than lowering Special Defense most of the time in my experience. I'll admit though, I guess there are a few tmes where lowering Special Defense might let Urshifu's teammate take down something in really specfic situations.

Also, you should probably change every mention of "Urshifu" to "Urshifu-S", since that's how C&C wants to refer to it.

Otherwise, I think you covered Urshifu-S well enough, so QC Approved 2/2!

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove
[SET]
name: Focus Sash
move 2: Counter
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Close Combat
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
in-battle alt: Gmax

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S equipped with a Focus Sash is a top notch Pokemon at winning one-on-one situations, effectively beating most physical attackers when it has its with Focus Sash intact and dealing immense damage to subsequent Pokemon before fainting.

* Wicked Blow guarantees a critical hit against the receiver, making it a particularly good option against Pokemon attempting to wall Urshifu-S with Defense boosts.

* Counter is a useful move for Urshifu-S, allowing it to defeat Gigantamax Cinderace and other physical Dynamax sweepers if it keeps Focus Sash intact.

* Sucker Punch allows Urshifu-S to deal damage against faster foes that could deal lethal damage, seriously threatening non-status Dragapult sets and getting significant chip to onto other Pokemon before fainting.

* Finally, Close Combat allows Urshifu-S to check the likes of Porygon2, Lapras, (AC) and Snorlax and is a good complementary STAB to move alongside Wicked Blow.

* A Jolly nature is chosen to outspeed Mimikyu's Shadow Sneak with Sucker Punch after going down to 1 HP.

* An Adamant nature can be opted for if you wish to deal greater amounts of damage at the expense of its otherwise effective Speed tier.

* The Gigantamax form Urshifu-S is generally chosen to gain access to G-Max One Blow, a Max Move that goes through opposing Max Guard, which is more useful than a Special Defense drop that Max Darkness would otherwise give.

[SET]
name: Choice Item
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Iron Head / Thunder Punch / Sucker Punch
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S, when equipped with a Choice Item, becomes a potent U-turn pivot with powerful physical wallbreaking ability through its fantastic dual STAB combination. It is also difficult for foes to scout its Choice-locked move with Protect, (RC) due to Unseen Fist.

* Wicked Blow is a tremendous wallbreaking move, with its guaranteed critical hit making it very difficult to set-up (RH) on or switch into.

* Close Combat works in concert with Wicked Blow, covering opposing Dark- and Fighting-types who that can otherwise tank Wicked Blow.

* U-turn is required to quickly pivot out of bad matchups and predicted switch-ins, (RC) in order to avoid being locked into an unfavorable move selection.

* Iron Head gives Urshifu-S a reasonable attack against Fairy-types, who which are otherwise a natural counter to it, and the flinch chance gives it a chance to beat Mimikyu.

* Thunder Punch allows Urshifu-S to beat Gyarados and still does notable damage against Togekiss.

* Sucker Punch, while awkward with when Choice-locked, gives Urshifu-S a potent priority option which does significant damage to Pokemon like Dragapult, and OHKOing which Urshifu-S can OHKO with Choice Band.

* A Choice Scarf allows it Ushifu-S to get the jump on Cinderace and Dragapult, who which would otherwise be able to comfortably check or cripple Urshifu it.

* A Choice Band helps it Urshifu-S become a potent wallbreaker, 2HKOing the likes of Toxapex and Corviknight and eliminating virtually all switch-ins that do not resist it.

* A Jolly nature is important to outspeed Galarian Darmanitan and Mimikyu, while an Adamant nature makes Urshifu-S even more difficult for physical walls to take consecutive hits.

* Despite Choice item Urshifu-S rarely activating Gigantamax, the Gigantamax forme is still chosen to gain access to G-Max One Blow to go through opposing Max Guard, which is more useful than a Special Defense drop from Max Darkness.

Team Options
============

Urshifu-S struggles against Fairy- and Flying-types, both of which are relatively common in the Isle of Armor metagame. Bringing checks to these helps greatly improve the effectiveness of all of Urshifu-S's sets.

* Fairy-type Checks: :magnezone: :ferrothorn: :excadrill: :corviknight: :toxapex: :aegislash:

* Flying-type Checks: :dracozolt: :lapras: :darmanitan-galar: :toxtricity: :cloyster: :rotom-heat::rotom-wash:
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It seems like 1_TrickPhony is going through some life changes that are going to make implementing the grammar check difficult for a while, so at his request, I implemented the grammar checks, and have uploaded this onsite!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)