US Military kills multiple Iraqi civillians, including two journalists, wounds 2 kids

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
According to their version of Islam (which iirc, is largely the Wahhabism popularized in radical Saudi Arabian mosques), the greatest honor is to martyr oneself for Allah, even for a child. So I could clarify by saying Wahhabist, but I think people understand I'm restricting it mostly to terrorists and their enablers. Most Muslims are not terrorists, but the vast majority of terrorists subscribe to some version (whether it is believed distorted or otherwise) of Islam, and those radicals strike so much fear into their neighbors that they become enablers (From a suicide bomber perspective, a huge portion of it is Muslim-on-Muslim violence). There are exceptions like the IRA and a few isolated nutcases, but the IRA doesn't have a religiously motivated global aspect to it.
Maybe that's how they justify it, much like Christians justified some terrible things in the past, but child soldiers would be a fact regardless. As a Tamil whose parents came from Sri Lanka, I know that the LTTE used child soldiers as well and they're Hindu. I know that wars all over the world are fought using child soldiers and it has absolutely nothing to do with their religious affiliation and everything to do with them being nutjobs.

Sixth, America hasn't had a war in 60 years, only police actions.
Does murders happening in a more illegal war than a less illegal war make it better somehow? The only difference, in reality between whatever the hell you are trying to say the difference is would happen to be that the wars the US have involved actions like the president usurping his natural constitutional powers rather than properly declaring war.

According to their version of Islam (which iirc, is largely the Wahhabism popularized in radical Saudi Arabian mosques), the greatest honor is to martyr oneself for Allah, even for a child. So I could clarify by saying Wahhabist, but I think people understand I'm restricting it mostly to terrorists and their enablers. Most Muslims are not terrorists, but the vast majority of terrorists subscribe to some version (whether it is believed distorted or otherwise) of Islam, and those radicals strike so much fear into their neighbors that they become enablers (From a suicide bomber perspective, a huge portion of it is Muslim-on-Muslim violence). There are exceptions like the IRA and a few isolated nutcases, but the IRA doesn't have a religiously motivated global aspect to it.
What about the Tamil Tigers? They were a Hindu group, that actually had trained with the PLO. They revolutionized suicide bombing, and ethnically cleansed the areas under their control of Muslims and Buddhists. I don't think that there is a terrorist tactic that they didn't use that terrorists don't normally use, in addition to having a navy, and air force, something that we should be glad that terrorists in the Middle East lack. I think that it would be safe to say that you couldn't blame Islam for terrorism anymore then you could blame the Zoroastrianism for the terrorism, as it was historically strong in the Middle East.

Beaten by Firestorm.

Edit: CaptKirby, it doesn't make it any better, I just have a pet peeve about people calling Cold War conflicts wars. By doing so, you ignore the fact that America has a responsibility to not have police actions, as they occur when there isn't the same amount of popular support for the war, and for conflicts that don't really need American involvement. For a more drastic example, think of referring to the Indian revolt of 1857 as the Indian Mutiny.

If you haven't watched the video you literally have no fucking clue what you're responding to.

Even the "article" that went with it doesn't do any justice to what actually occurred. This was not even remotely close to an unprovoked random attack on civilians as broth3r makes it appear to be. I can't blame them for opening fire, if it wasn't for the commentary and the fact that I knew they were civilians beforehand I would have had the same mentality of the soldiers present.

They did not fire on the wounded guy until the van rolled in and tried to pick him up.
In the short video, the first one, the first hit they do it looks like they shoot at the crawling guy before the van comes in, as I recall. Maybe I just didn't see the van.

Yup guys, the New York Times was right, there was no RPG!

Oh wait.

so wait, you can't have personal weapons in the middle of fucking baghdad? the point was, there was no RPGs, there was nothing that presented a threat to the apache.
Nope. You can't. The Iraqi government has laws forbidding from walking around with weapons on the streets. You can keep an AK in your house, but if you go wandering around with one, don't be surprised if you get shot.

they weren't insurgents ffs
Yes, they were. They were wandering with AKs, one lined up a shot, and there was an upcoming US convoy that the Apache was sent to protect (which is why any complaints how these men weren't a threat to the Apache is irrelevant - they could have easily killed the soldiers on the ground). Those men were clearly insurgents, and so the appropriate action was taken.

Terrorists want to incite responses like broth3r's blaming the US military for collateral damage terrorists try to maximize via the means mentioned above.
I do not blaim the intire US military for the incident. Hell, if they hadn't rushed the children to the hospital they'd be dead by now.

I'm not trying to incite anyone against the US military. I just feel the duty to say that some actions are unnaceptable.

Look, I can understand (though I'll never find acceptable) collateral damage. But collateral damage is missing a bomb. This was far, far from it. This was a group *SUSPECTED* to be composed of insurgents, and it was slaughtered without confirmation.

If there were (understandable) suspicions about the group's activity, the heli could have just kept under their sights until the suspicions were proved or dismissed.
Based on bullet speed and the time lapse between firing and hitting, the heli was approximatly a mile away, and had a huge territorial advantage. Plus, assuming 1/20 vision, they would have seen, at maximum, an AK (which was there) and one RPG. Still, the RPG was no threat, since MANPADS (AA-shoulder fired rockets) are considerably bigger. Thus, the group was no threat to it.

It would hardly be a threat to the convoy wich only 2 weapons, but even in that case, this video is proof of how fast any activity could have been supressed.

Because if supicious groups in suspicious neighborhoods start getting whacked with little proof, maybe we'll start seeing B2 runs over east LA (or maybe not, because that sort of things doesn't happen in US cities, uh?)

Furthermore I must say that, to me, journalists are sacred and untouchable, especially in war zones. They provide more freedom than any war could ever provide. Journalist killing is something that sickens me.
Yes, I am aware that insurgents have killed 6 times more journalists than the US army (104-17), but one is too many. And if they want to prove they do not descend to the level of the insurgents, they should start there. Not to talk about the restriction on press freedom imposed by the US, which defeats the purpose of squatting there (well, at least the reason they give us, not the real one, which I think we all know).

I just can't see any reason to condone this. Noone, in no army on the whole damn world, should be allowed to be this much trigger-happy.

And I know it's hard for some people to take the blindfold off, since it's their own troops they're talking about. But it's worth a try.

It's a war. Innocent people are killed left and right on both sides...what the hell do you guys think people are doing over there?

solution: don't join the army. sleep easier at night

It's a war. Innocent people are killed left and right on both sides...what the hell do you guys think people are doing over there?
In order to be a war, the US government has to have declared it formally. Right now, it's just an unresolved/ongoing/whatever political conflict, or something similar. So, not a war.

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
Also there was no point shooting the van that came to rescue the wounded guy. There was clearly no threat to the Apache in that moment.
I can't see how those actions could be acceptable in any way.

They did not fire on the wounded guy until the van rolled in and tried to pick him up.
And how was the apache threatened there? What was their justification?

You do realize it is not uncommon for Muslim soldiers to not only hide behind children, but also to raise them to be radicals, Hitler-Youth style? It would take me a mere Google image search on "Palestine child terrorists" to provide photo evidence.
I can do the same about US Imperialism.

Given imperfect knowledge, how can you not assume that perhaps recently the soldiers had been busting up a lot of weapons caches using that exact same model of truck, a truck that also happened to do drive-bys to pick up anyone wounded in-between attack sessions?
So, guilty until proven innocent?

Cultural Militarism? Even assuming we were culturally militaristic, what makes that any different than the people we are fighting who believe this is Holy War and have their own children doing the fighting?
Well, you guys go and mass-murder and torture innocent civillians living miles away from your country, while they are labelled as terrorists for fighting against soldiers that invaded their country.

Third, "shit happens in war" sorry if you hate that excuse, but shit happens. Every time a person dies is a tragedy, when it happens a lot it's a statistic. Simple fact of human nature.
Shit happens isn't an excuse - and cannot be. Killing a human shouldn't be so easy. War crimes do happen, you cannot prevent that - but things like Abu Ghraib and this are clearly not acceptable.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe that's how they justify it, much like Christians justified some terrible things in the past, but child soldiers would be a fact regardless. As a Tamil whose parents came from Sri Lanka, I know that the LTTE used child soldiers as well and they're Hindu. I know that wars all over the world are fought using child soldiers and it has absolutely nothing to do with their religious affiliation and everything to do with them being nutjobs.
You seem to be overly concern with being "politically correct". The fact is that these terrorists ARE MUSLIMS and Islam plays a big role in their acts of violence. While the Muslim faith itself is not violent, the perverted version of it is what motivates these extremists. It is silly not to mention the role Islam plays in their acts because it is a big part about why they are terrorists. Most Muslims are non-violent people, but these Muslims are horrible, horrible, humans.

The concern about political correctness has only served to distort information and prevent people from understanding the situation and why it occurred. For example, during the reporting of Fort Hood terrorist attack, MSNBC rarely mentioned that Nidal Malik Hasan was Muslim; Islam (his perverted version) is what motivated him to kill innocent people.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning the religion of the terrorists. It is not being bigoted or a "right-wing nut". It is giving an accurate analysis.

You seem to be overly concern with being "politically correct". The fact is that these terrorists ARE MUSLIMS and Islam plays a big role in their acts of violence. While the Muslim faith itself is not violent, the perverted version of it is what motivates these extremists. It is silly not to mention the role Islam plays in their acts because it is a big part about why they are terrorists. Most Muslims are non-violent people, but these Muslims are horrible, horrible, humans.
1st, political correctness is important, when we're talking about deep wounds that separate half the planet.

And 2nd, yes, muslim extremism is horrible, but not any more than extremism associated to any other religion.
And not just hinduism or any other religion from the same religion of the world.
How about the Lord's Resistance Army, or, more recently and closer, Hutaree?

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The concern about political correctness has only served to distort information and prevent people from understanding the situation and why it occurred. For example, during the reporting of Fort Hood terrorist attack, MSNBC rarely mentioned that Nidal Malik Hasan was Muslim; Islam (his perverted version) is what motivated him to kill innocent people.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning the religion of the terrorists. It is not being bigoted or a "right-wing nut". It is giving an accurate analysis.
Read the sentence he wrote:
You do realize it is not uncommon for Muslim soldiers to not only hide behind children, but also to raise them to be radicals, Hitler-Youth style? It would take me a mere Google image search on "Palestine child terrorists" to provide photo evidence.
He is speaking from an ignorant viewpoint. If all you do is watch Fox, CNN, and god knows what else on your television, then yes, as far as you know all war in the world is contained within the Middle East and it's between "Us" and "Them".

The way Deck Knight worded it, especially with his example from his favourite "us vs them" war, does make it sound as if he's qualifying this as specific to Muslim "soldiers" when it is in fact something that's a part of every war by extremists. He did not say "Muslim extremists" or "Muslim fundamentalists", he said "Muslim soldiers".

I am not a fan of Americans using the word "Muslim" in an increasingly negative way. That further reinforces the stereotypes that brainwashed your country after 9/11. It's unhealthy.

Reverb

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1st, political correctness is important, when we're talking about deep wounds that separate half the planet.
How? I gave a detailed explanation of why political correctness is weighed too heavily. You can't blow me off with one sentence. What are the "deep wounds"? You need to acknowledge the root of the evil. Your response is simply not adequate.

If we are too concerned with offending people, we won't be able to say anything. Frankly, there is nothing wrong with pointing out the religion of these people when they are religiously-based extremists. If anyone is offended by this they are way too sensitive.

EDIT:

@Firestorm

Read the sentence he wrote:
He is speaking from an ignorant viewpoint. If all you do is watch Fox, CNN, and god knows what else on your television, then yes, as far as you know all war in the world is contained within the Middle East and it's between "Us" and "Them".

The way Deck Knight worded it, especially with his example from his favourite "us vs them" war, does make it sound as if he's qualifying this as specific to Muslim "soldiers" when it is in fact something that's a part of every war by extremists. He did not say "Muslim extremists" or "Muslim fundamentalists", he said "Muslim soldiers".

I am not a fan of Americans using the word "Muslim" in an increasingly negative way. That further reinforces the stereotypes that brainwashed your country after 9/11. It's unhealthy.
First off: I watch a variety of news channels and read numerous papers.

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Deck Knight said, you are taking it out of context. He is referring to Muslims in the context of the War on Terror. In which case, the Muslim soldiers are the extremist terrorists, and they do use children use to further their violent agenda. Perhaps there is a better word choice, but in this context what he said was fine. His opinion is not bigoted in anyway. He even clarified that his comments were about radical Islam. It is ludicrous to believe that Deck Knight somehow hates all Muslims or unfairly labels them. You are just obsessing over political correctness. I personally believe that that is being counterproductive since it is preventing us from discussing a real issue.

In order to be a war, the US government has to have declared it formally. Right now, it's just an unresolved/ongoing/whatever political conflict, or something similar. So, not a war.
This is the entire point I just made. It is a war in every way possible to define war. The only difference is that it is unfuckingconstitutional. When you invade a sovereign nation illegally, depose their dictator, establish war zones and rules, and spend god knows how many years it will end up being mucking around in said should-have-been-sovereign-not-really-sovereign-nation-anymore, then you are in a war.

Firestorm

The US government is not the one to define what is and is not a war. Yeesh. What a terrible idea. Maybe as far as your official documents go it's not a war, but it is in all other respects a war and we will refer to it as such.
How? I gave a detailed explanation of why political correctness is weighed too heavily. You can't blow me off with one sentence. What are the "deep wounds"? You need to acknowledge the root of the evil. Your response is simply not adequate.

If we are too concerned with offending people, we won't be able to say anything. Frankly, there is nothing wrong with pointing out the religion of these people when they are religiously-based extremists. If anyone is offended by this they are way too sensitive.
It's important to be politically correct in cases like this because using the word "Muslim" to preface negative words is what got you to the stage where being Muslim is apparently scary to the public. Last I checked we had nuts in the United States not only thinking Barack Obama was Muslim, but thought that made him unfit to be president.

First off: I watch a variety of news channels and read numerous papers.

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Deck Knight said, you are taking it out of context. He is referring to Muslims in the context of the War on Terror. In which case, the Muslim soldiers are the extremist terrorists, and they do use children use to further their violent agenda. Perhaps there is a better word choice, but in this context what he said was fine. His opinion is not bigoted in anyway. You are just obsessing over political correctness. I personally believe that that is being counterproductive since it is preventing us from discussing a real issue.
This isn't in the context of "The War on Terror", as your marketing department puts it, because Iraq isn't a part of it. We are talking about Iraq, not the Taliban.

My reaction was perfectly fine based on the post in question and the poster's history.

Reverb

The US government is not the one to define what is and is not a war. Yeesh. What a terrible idea. Maybe as far as your official documents go it's not a war, but it is in all other respects a war and we will refer to it as such.It's important to be politically correct in cases like this because using the word "Muslim" to preface negative words is what got you to the stage where being Muslim is apparently scary to the public. Last I checked we had nuts in the United States not only thinking Barack Obama was Muslim, but thought that made him unfit to be president.

This isn't in the context of "The War on Terror", as your marketing department puts it, because Iraq isn't a part of it. We are talking about Iraq, not the Taliban.

My reaction was perfectly fine based on the post in question and the poster's history.
Last I checked we had nuts in the United States not only thinking Barack Obama was Muslim, but thought that made him unfit to be president.
I'm a little offended that you would say this. There are always freaks no matter what. Having accurate information didn't make them freaks. They're just freaks who would always have a crazy perception of reality. There are very few people like this.

Iraq is part of the War on Terror. Al Qaeda is in Iraq. Look what happened just yesterday. http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-qaeda-after-baghdad-bombs-20100407-rrpc.html
Tell that to the poor Iraqi civilians who have to deal with suicide bombings on a regular basis (although Saddam Hussein murdered God knows how many Iraqis).

It's important to be politically correct in cases like this because using the word "Muslim" to preface negative words is what got you to the stage where being Muslim is apparently scary to the public.
It's important to know what motives these people have. There are always stupid people, but a few nuts can't stop us from telling the truth. Personally I think the Muslim American community should mobilize and become visible Americans who share their culture with the United States. Educating people about their culture is the best way to eliminate ignorance.

It's important to know what motives these people have.
And those motives are Islamic extremism, not Islam, the same way Hutaree is classified as a Christian extremism, and not just christian, organization. It's not a question of politeness here. It's just calling things by their names. Their full, correct names.

Reverb

And those motives are Islamic extremism, not Islam, the same way Hutaree is classified as a Christian extremism, and not just christian, organization. It's not a question of politeness here. It's just calling things by their names. Their full, correct names.
And when quality news sources report these type of incidents, they make sure you know they a Muslim extremists. The very word terrorist tells you that this is an extremist person. The Europeans and the left are too preoccupied with making sure that we don't mention religion when it plays a role in acts of violence. It is merely being accurate.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And how was the apache threatened there? What was their justification?
Why don't you ask the CO? They thought there was a threat and they acted. Maybe you don't think it was justified, and maybe you think that shooting at potential threats is just one more example of imperialism.

I can do the same about US Imperialism.
Yes, I realize you can do a Google search and come up with communist propaganda. It does not change the fact that extremist Muslims of this type have no issue using children as soldiers in their conflicts. The United States does not use children as soldiers in their conflicts. If you cannot spot the moral difference between the two, you are beyond help.

US Imperialism has nothing to do with this. If we are so imperialist plopper, why is it the Iraqis now have free elections if we're just there to turn them into a 51st state and pillage their oil supplies? That's a very strange imperialism indeed.

So, guilty until proven innocent?
This is not a civil trial, this is a military action in a war zone. If the CO thinks these people pose an imminent threat in some way, they have to act on that information. I suspect that in your worldview you can't swat a mosquito off your arm without consulting a lawyer to make sure it has been given due process, but places with vast civic unrest and insurgents around every corner do not have that luxury. Soldiers in general do not have that luxury. For someone like you who never has had another human being's life in their hands, who has never been subject to the vast mental stress of war, to act all high and mighty about guilt and innocence is disgusting.

Well, you guys go and mass-murder and torture innocent civillians living miles away from your country, while they are labelled as terrorists for fighting against soldiers that invaded their country.
Mass Murder? You mean like Saddam? You mean like the terrorists that decided it'd be honky dory to kill 3,000+ Americans on Sept. 11th? If America were really doing all the things you claim they are, why is it that the vast majority of Iraqis respect and admire America's men and women in uniform? Maybe because unlike you sitting in the safety of your anti-US cocoon, they actually interact with our soldiers on a regular basis. We can't all be self-righteous moralizers who operate based on the seriousness of the charge rather than the reality on the ground.

They are labeled terrorists because they do not fight for Iraq, they fight under no country's banner. They regularly put fellow Iraqi citizens at risk by holing up in schools and hospitals while keeping Iraqi women and children as hostages. Actually, my previous statement isn't true. The reason they are called insurgents is because these are *not* Iraqi citizens but in fact terrorists from other nations being funded largely by Iran's Revolutionary Guard.

Shit happens isn't an excuse - and cannot be. Killing a human shouldn't be so easy. War crimes do happen, you cannot prevent that - but things like Abu Ghraib and this are clearly not acceptable.
Humans get killed all the time, every day of their lives, in ways both mundane and horrific. Abu Ghraib was tragic but it happened once, and when discovered everyone involved was punished and it never happened again. As for "this," the context is extremely suspect. Everyone has 20/20 hindsight, and everyone can be an armchair general blaming US Imperialism for every terrible thing that happens in a foreign nation.

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
I don't see anything moral and correct in invading a country and devastating it just to get some oilfields. About 100.000 iraq civilians were killed since 2003.
Iraq was already too bad with Saddam and US made it even worse after the invasion.
It's easy to say "things like Abu Ghraib happened once and won't happen again" and "people get killed everyday" when it's not people of your country.
All those shit would never happen if US didn't invade Iraq.

I don't see anything moral and correct in invading a country and devastating it just to get some oilfields. About 100.000 iraq civilians were killed since 2003.
\.
That report was BS, everyone knows it, and we did not invade Iraq for oil.

All those shit would never happen if US didn't invade Iraq.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look, Iraq was a mistake, and I think it is reasonable to begin withdrawing, but acting like how it is now is worse than it was under Saddam is moronic to the highest degree.

Also there was no point shooting the van that came to rescue the wounded guy. There was clearly no threat to the Apache in that moment.
I can't see how those actions could be acceptable in any way.
Wrong. You go in an unmarked van and help insurgents, and the Apache has every reason in assuming that those guys are insurgents too. You want to charge in a battlefield and help the wounded, get a Red Crescent tag, or heck even a white flag. Otherwise, we will shoot, and have no regrets.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Shoot children and have no regrets?

Please tell me you at least have some little regrets..

Have a nice day.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
According to kay a U.S. convoy was approaching, and the apache was it's escort. it doesn't take a genius to put deduce the fact that an anti-tank launcher can kill multiple people in a light armoured humvee.

If it was 100% confirmed that these people had rpg-7's it would be have the right move to engage the "insugrents". The pilot, and gunner had to make a choice, the consequences of the wrong choice would have meant a loss of US troops.

Saying that the pilot and chopper we're completely wrong in this situation is wrong.

In hindsight it was probably wrong, as the men on the ground were most likely not irnsurgents, but if I were a chopper gunner who is escorting my buddies, the first sight of an RPG, and there are no survivors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)