US Regional Qualifier - San Francisco, CA - May 15th, 2010 WON BY BIANCA222

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Well anyone can lose to hax. I had a feeling PBB wasn't gonna make it to the top16, I don't know why, felt he would get haxed or just have a guy counter his team, and PBB really I didn't see him play much on netbattle so that was also why I didn't have my money on him, but he is a good player. I had a lot of intense matches and really messed up one game vs clefable/giratina lead but luckily I finally critted the calm mind giratina and won a close match I would have lost otherwise.

I was just grateful to get past top 16. After that I played Chris Tsai and he started out with the same lead as me, Palkia Toxicroak. But he used trick room palkia and sashed toxicroak I believe. I accidentally thundered first turn in no rain but luckily it hit the 2nd time and I double attacked palkia after it protected first turn.

Then I played duy and I thought I would get a big advantage at first, which I sort of did even though he used really weird stuff like sash on groudon, but don't get me wrong, it was good. So anyways late game he is just blizzard spamming and I thought he was playing mind-games and would eventually protect with a guy, never happened.

So I just played it "safe" and just low kicked kyogre rather than fake out a guy so I could hopefully pull off a finishing kill to kyogre and do a lot of damage to abomasnow, then kill abomasnow next turn. But he got a freeze, oh well, it happens. At least I got a dsi, and 600 bucks since I am a minor, to go to Indianapolis in the nationals. That is probably going to be my favorite part, traveling.

Well anyone can lose to hax. I had a feeling PBB wasn't gonna make it to the top16, I don't know why, felt he would get haxed or just have a guy counter his team, and PBB really I didn't see him play much on netbattle so that was also why I didn't have my money on him, but he is a good player. I had a lot of intense matches and really messed up one game vs clefable/giratina lead but luckily I finally critted the calm mind giratina and won a close match I would have lost otherwise.

I was just grateful to get past top 16. After that I played Chris Tsai and he started out with the same lead as me, Palkia Toxicroak. But he used trick room palkia and sashed toxicroak I believe. I accidentally thundered first turn in no rain but luckily it hit the 2nd time and I double attacked palkia after it protected first turn.

Then I played duy and I thought I would get a big advantage at first, which I sort of did even though he used really weird stuff like sash on groudon, but don't get me wrong, it was good. So anyways late game he is just blizzard spamming and I thought he was playing mind-games and would eventually protect with a guy, never happened.

So I just played it "safe" and just low kicked kyogre rather than fake out a guy so I could hopefully pull off a finishing kill to kyogre and do a lot of damage to abomasnow, then kill abomasnow next turn. But he got a freeze, oh well, it happens. At least I got a dsi, and 600 bucks since I am a minor, to go to Indianapolis in the nationals. That is probably going to be my favorite part, traveling.
Sounds like a good story, good luck at nationals.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
yeah my brother apparently took about 4 videos. And I got the last one on my vs recorder and will upload it after I figure how, hopefully without having to convert or transfer it, so that the quality will be slightly less.

But PBB, even without the crit, you only had a 45% chance to kill with meteor next turn, so you can't complain too much. Unless you had a lum, then the crit cost you, but since you didn't mention it I doubt that. If you start from the beginning of that turn, you had barely a 40% chance to pull off the win. If anything, you would have haxed your opponent had you won.

Who is it you lost to anyway?
He did have a lum...

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey guys whats netbattle specifically, i was researching it on google because i need more practice but didnt get much[links will be helpfull], i've already played alot of the smogonites[fun times cant wait to actually play em again at the vgc] but now i am only getting like 3 battles in a day.....so weak, so now i am looking for resources and a more active battle place which idk were. can u guys throw me any suggestions. ty i need all the practice i can get, only have 1 week left to finalize my team.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Grats on the win Duy, really only know (of) you through Paul but from what I hear, it'd be hard to find someone more deserving.

Also: Grats on nats invite Huy and Rory. Good day for names and/or aliases that end in y.
=| Well thanks, lol

This was a pretty awesome event; ducks made a huge showing. Probably my favorite thing (beside Duy winning) is that Rory made top 16 with pretty much zero VGC experience. He played VGC for the first time on Friday, and his round 1 match in SF was his third match ever. So big congrats to him, and also to Huy and Duy and anyone else who helped me test on NBS and made a showing. See y'all in Indy!

Here is the rundown of my matches. My team was:

Zapdos @ Yache Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Light Screen
- Detect
---
Groudon @ Lum Berry/Rindo Berry/Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
EVs: 36 HP/252 Atk/68 Spd/152 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rock Polish
- Protect
---
Abomasnow (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 12 Spd/252 SAtk/244 SDef
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Blizzard
- Grass Knot
- Ice Shard
- Protect
---
Dialga @ Chople Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Blizzard
- Protect

Very similar to Fish's Seattle team, but I like the speed tie with Palkia that Zapdos Gives me. I was definitely hoping I would not run into Blissey; if I had run into that minimize Blissey that Kikuichimonji was talking about I likely would have lost. Also Rock Polish wound up being totally useless, and in fact the one time I used it it almost caused me to lose, lol.

Everyone I played had a reasonably competitive team, so in that sense I didn't have any super easy matches, but most of my opponents also were not the best at in-battle strategy, while I made very few mistakes (though there were some definite fuck-ups in round 5, lol).

Round 1:
She led Kyogre and Scizor, but Groudon got its drought up so I wasn't too scared of Water Spout. I went for Discharge + Earthquake as she switched her Kyogre out for a Jolteon which was obviously KOd, and Earthquake crit Scizor to take it down as well. She sent in Ludicolo and Kyogre which were easily handled by Abomasnow.

Round 2: He told me beforehand he wasn't using any legends, so I wasn't too worried. He led with Snorlax and Kingdra, and since Kingdra wasn't doing jack shit in the sun I focused more on a potential explosion. Turn 1 I Discharged and Protected, and paralyzed his Kingdra, but he body slammed Zapdos and Paralyzed there too. I alternated protects to avoid explosion, since his Zen Headbutt Snorlax wasn't exactly doing a lot of damage. Kingdra went down to my second Earthquake and he sent out Breloom. Instead of Sporing my Lum Groudon he decided to Seed Bomb which dealt about 75%, and Groudon EQd to finish Snorlax and Zapdos Heat Waved to take out Breloom. I don't remember his last but it was 4v1 at that point so it would have been pretty hard for him to win!

Round 3: This was my near loss. She led Weavile and Mewtwo, and went for Fake Out + Psychic on Groudon as it protected, and I Discharged, paralyzing Weavile. I decided to go for Rock Polish, easily the dumbest thing I could do, and Mewtwo's Psychic + Weavile's avalanche took out Groudon as Zapdos used Light Screen. I sent out Dialga and used Dragon Pulse on Mewtwo as Zapdos used Heat Wave. Mewtwo unfortunately crit my Dialga with Aura Sphere, leaving it with a sliver of health. She sends out Azelf and Gengar and takes out Dialga as I stupidly protect with Zapdos. So I have full health Zapdos + Abomasnow against her Azelf and Gengar. Some weird stuff happens and eventually Light Screen expires as she explodes with Azelf, I protect with Aboma, and Gengar tries to use Sludge Bomb. So I thought I was out at this point, but it turns out 240 SpDef EV Abomasnow is never OHKOd by Gengar Sludge Bomb. Abomasnow survived and OHKOd with Blizzard.

Round 4: After that last match I was pretty scared, but after turn 1 my fear subsided quite a bit: Zapdos protects as my Groudon (faster than both his mons) uses Earthquake against his TTar and Groudon as he double Rock Slides, dealing negligible damage to my Groudon. Next turn he protects with his 15% HP TTar, EQs with Groudon as Zapdos uses Light Screen and Groudon uses EQ. Turn after that he switches out TTar for Gengar as I heat wave + EQ, and I think he protects with Groudon. I go for Discharge + EQ (not so worried about Gengar since Light Screen is up) as he Protects with Gengar, and from the order of damage on EQ I see that my Zapdos is faster than his Gengar. It was pretty easy from there.

After I made it to the finalists lounge, Nck McCord came to talk with us and Huy told him that Rory and I were "honorary Ducks". Since FedEx messed up and didn't get me my shirt in time, Nick gave me his Ducks shirt that he had with him, lol. So I had a Ducks shirt for the final rounds!

Round 5 (round of 32): He led with Dialga and I think a Hitmontop (whatever it was had Fake Out), so I went for Light Screen + Earthquake. Groudon got Faked out; Zapdos used Light Screen as Dialga used Flamethrower on it. Next turn Dialga went down to Heat Wave + EQ as his other mon protected, and he sent out Giratina-O. I used Discharge + EQ (forgetting Levitate, lol), and when my Groudon outsped his Giratina it became pretty clear that he had been running a TR team. Discharge takes out his other mon as he Protects with Giratina. He sends out Abomasnow, and I go for Heat Wave + Rock Slide as he Protects with Aboma and uses Shadow Ball with Giratina. I fuck up again by using Light Screen the turn my old one exprires, but Groudon Rock Slide deals good damage to Aboma as he takes out both my mons with Shadow Ball and Blizzard. I send out Dialga and Abomasnow and double Blizzard for game.

Round 6 (round of 16): He led Top and Palkia, and I went for Light Screen + Earthquake, hoping to get the screen up in front of Specs Meteor, or else helping deal with Trick Room. He Fakes out Zapdos and I get and EQ off as he uses Trick Room. Next turn I double protect to stall out TR some more. Unfortunately I forgot a lot of this match; I know he took out Groudon with Mach Punch + Meteor; I know his Metagross + Top took out Dialga with Mach Punch + Hammer Arm; and I know at some point his Hitmontop dodged a Heat Wave to survive as he switched his Metagross out for Palkia. It came down to my full health Zapdos and Abomasnow against his 75% Metagross and 30% Palkia with one Pokemon in the back and no TR up. I go for Heat Wave + Blizzard, thinking that he will either try for Explosion + Protect or [Anything] + TR. Well I must have missed when it said "it's a critical hit" because his Metagross OHKOd my Abomasnow with Bullet Punch (which is impossible according to the Smogon Damage calc, even with -def and 0 HP Aboma. I don't think he was running Band since his Metagross used Protect in in his finals match against Duy, and he definitely wasn't running LO). Anyway, with Abomasnow gone Palkia was able to use Trick Room again after Zapdos used heat wave for massive damage on Gross and negligible damage on Palkia. I protect as Hail takes out his Metagross and he sends out Togekiss, so at this point I will probably win if I can protect against his Draco Meteors, or if his Meteor misses (after that attack he had 4 left against my Pressure Zapdos), so at this point I have a 21.25% chance to win. I get the first Protect, but not the second, and Zapdos goes down against his last Draco Meteor. GG, guy who got 2nd place!

I was honestly surprised to lose here, since TR is a pretty good match for this team. But I'm not too upset; he played well and it was a good match (though I'm still trying to figure out how his Gross OHKOd my Aboma, lol).

Hope this helps some people!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hehe ty, i tried battle me in the past and didnt get muc reponse so after that i just kinda didnt try it again but i will give it another go, also 1 last thing about netbattle, can you just go into battle with 4 pokemon somehow[to make it more vgc like], because if it wont give me the "start battling" option unless i have 6 pokemon, all it gives me is "team builder" and "host server" options.

God i'm so pumped for next week

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
hehe ty, i tried battle me in the past and didnt get muc reponse so after that i just kinda didnt try it again but i will give it another go, also 1 last thing about netbattle, can you just go into battle with 4 pokemon somehow[to make it more vgc like], because if it wont give me the "start battling" option unless i have 6 pokemon, all it gives me is "team builder" and "host server" options.

Try to get on IRC too. There's a practice tourney in a few minutes. You could easily get 10 battles there.

The usual practice with netbattle is to lead with something like two Voltorbs that Explode straight away.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
To play on netbattle, go to nbsup.com and download the latest version of netbattle, then go to the skarmbliss server on the registry, or type this ip into the advanced button: 216.154.10.206, then you are set after you build a team in team builder.

And also I wanted to say in an unrelated note, I messed up a ton vs duy and I mean I coulda maybe won without the freeze but it was a lot more my fault for using stupid moves a few times in a row, and focusing more on prediction than strategy. And I also was able to realize that one of my moves on a pokemon should have been replaced because it is almost useless and unreliable.

Yeah there was a Ho-oh used by at least two people. Danukes used it but switched into rock slide from an opposing toxicroak... lol I woulda been so mad if I was him right then. Toxicroak with rock slide wtf, and not even good. Ho-oh has a lot more potential than I once thought and it counters the common fighting types and etc, and only takes neutral from blizzard. I now will call it underrated.

breh

強いだね
I went and epicly failed, losing in the second round to a n00b (I think, judging by his moves) using a Roar of Time Dialga and a Lunar Dance Cress...

I think Duy (or at least somebody who really resembles him and was wearing a duck shirt) was standing about 3 or 4 people behind me when I was about to enter the battling area and I was like "SHIT it's a duck" and hoped to God that he wouldn't somehow be matched up with me. If I recall correctly, his first battle was against a guy wearing a shirt with the original 151 on it.

If anybody saw me, I was the kid with glasses, grey shirt, and black shorts.

No there hasn't, they're all just in this thread.

And if you mean ones that need a new thread, well those take a bit of time to write up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)