Data Usage-Based Tier Update for April 2018 (May @ #97) (June @ #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
Really excited about Entei and Mienshao in RU. Although they might be banned cause in my opinion they might be too good.
Also glad to see that m-camerupt finally moved down and I think that it will be interessting how it does in NU

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
I think now that amoongus is gone, Vileplume is gonna actually be good with stenth sap, and using the same role amoongus had, but less good. It's also faster than azu for belly drum so azus will have to run more speed for it. As for RU, holy shit. Mienshao is gonna be insane, entei will be great but not broken i think, cuz of things like mega blastoise to soft check it. Sun is gonna jump in viability too with entei obliterating the entire tier. For NU, bruxish is going to be good, tho with slowbro won't be chosen as often. Abomasnow better be banned soon or good lord. Camerupt will be good wallbreaker, but not broken, and I think slowking will see a rise, with jellicent.

Okay. Let’s talk about the changes

Jirachi BL > OU
It’s a solid answer to Lele and Serene Grace Iron Head is still a bitch so that was expected.

Mienshao UU > RU
Base 125 Atk with Reckless HJK and U-Turn. Thanks but this thing belongs in BL2.

Bruxish RU > NU
Potentially broken for NU due to the lack of Water/Psychic switch ins besides maybe Guzzlord (which is bopped by Ice Fang.) So I’d say it would be banned sooner or later.

Lucario UU > RU
Now that’s what I call a BL2 mon.

Entei UU > RU
Entei looks like it will be amazing in RU (possibly ban worthy). Sacred Fire cripples switch ins not named Milotic and priority is a nice addition to the tier. But like I said. It might get banned.

Miltank PU > NU
I’m not surprised by this one.

Mega-Latias BL > OU
(See Miltank)

Palossand PU > NU
The only rise I didn’t expect. It was solid in NU after it got Stealth Rocks to boot its defensive utility. But I think it’s a neat change.

Mega-Abomasnow RU > NU
I don’t want to sound like a broken record. But this thing seems plain unhealthy for the tier.

Passimian BL4 > NU
(See Miltank)

Diancie RU > NU
Fire types run rampant in the tier and so is Sneasel. Diancie offers a lot to the table. Rocks, Trick Room, good bulk, solid damage output, and a typing that allows it to handle many of NU’s common defoggers and the dreaded Sneasel. I think it might end up S or A+.

Foretress UU > RU
Well it’s about time. But I don’t think it will be that amazing. Hazard removal is more common than ever and it’s not like Foretress beats them. It might be C or C- due to still having a niche in placing multiple hazards and Volt Switch.

Mega-Houndoom UU > RU
It will get banned just like it did last Gen.

Samurott NU > PU (BL4)
Yeah you know what I’m going to say.

Typhlosion NU > PU
Last time Typhlosion was here it was pretty damn good. But now the meta has changed drastically. It might end up being balanced. Maybe around the same rank as Pyroar due to its good speed tier and SpA.

Gigalith RU > NU
Another potentially solid mon coming to NU. Another rocker and another answer to Fire types. I can see this thing making Sand teams full on viable. It might be A or A-.

Mega-Camerupt RU > NU
If your not using Bronzor or Manyte then your team is automatically swept.

Amoonguss UU > OU
There are a thousand things that
I believe will happen with Amoonguss gone.

1. Azumarill and Breloom get banned

2. Losing a stall stable will potentially hurt Stall slightly

3. Suicune, Serperior, and Breloom become even better.

4. I could see irrelevant mons like Roserade see slightly more usage.

That’s just a few things that just show that losing Amoonguss could affect the meta greatly.

Comfey RU > NU
Might be a decent stallbreaker. But it struggles a lot with Steelix. I could see it being somewhere around B-.

Hoopa Unbound BL > OU
Well it’s about time.

Ambipom UU > RU
Im thankful the Pokeaim effect didn’t last long.

Emboar BL3 > RU
Who even uses Emboar in RU? It was unranked a long time ago after Sun died off. But we’ll see.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
May I highlight that those combined usage are obtained thanks to the usages at 1695 (at least in OU), but the fact is that for every other ELO, Gliscor usage would have been higher than the benchmark, maybe should I think it's normal but I'm quite new on smogon so such a thing make me feel like their is something wrong.

Gliscor Combined Usage for every rank :
0 : 4.984
1500 : 3.863
1695 : 2.982
1825 : 4.072
average : 3.975

This post may not have this place here but I felt like it needed to be highlighted and didn't know where else it could be

Lando has been hanging around 50% for a while now. It isn't surprising though, it has all of things going for it in the meta, not to mention that it fills a bunch of different niches, has a great ability, and is hard to predict, but it still has enough counters to keep it in OU, because every team has at least 1-2 Lando counters. Besides, it would suck so much in Ubers, it isn't even funny.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
For real though, can we just abolish usage-based tiering? What does it do aside from take away healthy mons from tiers where they are needed and pump the lower tiers with broken mons they can't handle?

Ok, maybe not abolish, but I think that we should definitely start discussing an alternative or a re-work for the current system. One idea I had is that all rises must be "approved" by the tier leaders they concern. For example, if Latias achieved enough usage to rise to OU, UU's council would have to give their direct stamp of approval for it to actually leave the tier. Otherwise, usage is ignored and it stays in UU regardless. Drops would require a different system since in those cases its often a case of a Pokemon dropping to a tier it has never been in. But even in that case, I'm sure something better than the current "6 new mons in nu lol" mess could be worked out.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Stoutland | 4.311%
Kangaskhan | 4.249%
Excuse me but can someone explain me why stout has higher usage than kang in pu?
I know, right! Stoutland doesn't even exist. The closest thing that exists is the Pokemon "Click Banded Return to Win". Get it together, Smogon! Your system is a piece of scrap... ...py.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Politoed moved from DOU to DUU
Marowak-Alola moved from DOU to DUU
Gastrodon moved from DOU to DUU
Garchomp moved from DOU to DUU
Volcarona moved from DOU to DUU
Mimikyu moved from DOU to DUU
Naganadel moved from DOU to DUU
Diancie-Mega moved from DOU to (DOU)
Garchomp-Mega moved from (DOU) to DUU
Kommo-o moved from DUU to DOU
Scizor-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Weavile moved from DUU to DOU
Suicune moved from DUU to DOU
Mawile-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Victini moved from DUU to DOU
Gothitelle moved from DUU to DOU
Incineroar moved from DUU to DOU
Togedemaru moved from DUU to DOU
Clefairy moved from DUU to NFE

Antar

Last edited:
RU might have to rethink their non-transitive Drought legality, because Mega-Doom with Drought support is going to be a beast. He and Ninetails are going to be the best of friends, until one of them gets banned. Mienshao and Entei dropping will mean there's some counterplay, but he'll be pretty centralizing either way.
Also, wow, poor UU. At least they got to keep Gliscor, thanks to Lando-T being the omnipresent monster that he is.

Politoed moved from DOU to DUU
Marowak-Alola moved from DOU to DUU
Gastrodon moved from DOU to DUU
Garchomp moved from DOU to DUU
Volcarona moved from DOU to DUU
Mimikyu moved from DOU to DUU
Kommo-o moved from DOU to DUU
Naganadel moved from DOU to DUU
Diancie-Mega moved from DOU to (DOU)
Garchomp-Mega moved from (DOU) to DUU
Scizor-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Weavile moved from DUU to DOU
Suicune moved from DUU to DOU
Mawile-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Victini moved from DUU to DOU
Gothitelle moved from DUU to DOU
Incineroar moved from DUU to DOU
Togedemaru moved from DUU to DOU
Clefairy moved from DUU to NFE

Antar
Kommo-o moved from DUU to DOU rather

The problem with UU is that it has so much offense but not enough defense for balance teams to back it up. Therefore if you don't go on the hyper offensive, you need to have fairly decent unmon checks on balance or bulky offense or you resort to stall. That's exactly why UU is its cancerous self it is right now. Mega Aerodactyl, Specs Primarina, Breloom, Azumarill, Scizor, Serperior, Marowak-A, and Mega Bro just to name a few mons. These are just the mons that stand out as soon as I look at the tier list. Like this is just too much for a tier to handle at this point. With amoonguss gone, we just lost a core switchin to Choiced Primarina, Breloom, Serp, and Azumarill. Gliscor can't defend a whole team by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)