Resource USUM AG Viability Rankings

Skarpherim

is a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
It's been about a month since the last vr update, gonna give my thoughts on some of the noms

Reg ray unranked to D:

Really don’t care, personally i’d never use reg ray. I could see it being alright when paired with Mgar, but absolutely in no other situation would it work/fit on a team. I’d rather use Zygarde anyways, its speed tier is pretty bad and its attacks are too weak, choice specs is probably the best set but 289/317 speed hinders it, as well as dying in 1 to icebeam. There’s z fly as well but yea, no opinion on this

Slowbro-Mega Unranked to D/C: I support my mbro nom obv

Lunala B+ to A-: I definitely like Lunala a lot, I support this

It’s fantastic movepool and powerful stabs are very nice to have

You can’t really call Lunalas typing bad when there are very few ghost types in AG and while Necrozma variants have been so prevalent; psychic typing helps it resist the broken “LTBTS” and it can retaliate with a super effective stabbed Moongeist Beam

Shadow shield is also incredible because “Sunsteel Strike” and “SSS” which normally ignore ability, for some reason does not ignore shadow shield, so the damage is halved if lunala is at max hp.

All of the sets Lunala can run are extremely good, as Zenithial elaborated, there is Specs, Lunalium Z, Scarf, and lefties defensive. Both Specs and Z move can tear apart balance and defensive is very good at hard checking Necrozma and being a nice soft check to many things because of shadow shield. Scarf seems mediocre compared to the other sets imo but it can be handy

Necrozma-Ultra A to A+:

Yes, absolutely yes. Being able to run both physical and special, it’s extremely hard to decide how to deal with this offensive beast. There are very few things that check Necrozma-Ultra effectively and it has a huge presence in battle. Let me explain what I mean by “presence”. Another mon with huge presence in battle would be Xerneas. If you see a Xerneas in front of your darkceus (or groundceus, or fairyceus, or really any mon that can not do sufficient damage in order to deal with it), it’s almost completely necessary to bring in your Xerneas check in fear of a geomancy. With this in mind, it’s very easy for the Xerneas user to think “oh well, they’re obviously not about to stay in here and die to a moonblast or do whatever else that this darkceus can use while I geomancy, so they’re going to switch their poisonceus!” You are able to then switch into say, your Pdon to initiate more offensive pressure. With rocks up this type of strategy is very effective, it’s not just a 50/50 scenario, “presence” makes it hard for the person facing Xerneas to think “well they’re probably going to pdon because they think I should go to poisonceus in order to check the Xerneas, so now i’ll go to Mray in order to punish my opponent going to Pdon.” That may be the correct play in that situation, but there's also a possibility that the Xerneas stays in and moonblasts the Mray to hell. My point is, Necrozma has a ton of presence because it puts your opponent in a situation where they pretty much have to go to their Necrozma check. What makes a mon have a lot of presence is: the number of mons can consistently check said mon, what mons in no situation can stand in front of said mon (basically when there’s a mandatory switch or you’ll lose the game situation), and how costly it is to get your predicts wrong versus mons with presence. Looking at the current VR, it’s very clear that all of the top tier mons have the most presence. What makes some offensive mons better than others are the situations after a mon with presence kills something. An easy example of this would be…

“Pogres water spout 2hkos a Ferrothorn” “Now Banded Mray can come in and dragon ascent to ohkos or 2hko everything on the Pogres team”

For reference, I feel Mray is the best mon in the tier (by far) because it has the most offensive presence by a large margin

Mons with massive presence:

You could also replace presence with “offensive pressure”, in this situation offensive presence p much what i’m referring to

Zygarde-Complete S- to S:

Disagree, i’ve thought about this for a lot of time so i’m not just being closed minded here

In simple: Zygarde-Complete should not be on the same level with Mray because its offensive capabilities don’t stand up to Mrays, they both break but Mray has more opportunities to break, sub dddtail and toxic sub dd are both fantastic sets, it’s still too hard to justify them being as good as any of Mrays incredible offensive sets such as lo dd, lo draco, band, lo sd, sub dd, scarf, and so on. I also do not feel that Zygarde-Complete's defensive capabilities stand up to Mrays offensive presence.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 341-403 (76.9 - 90.9%)

+1 252+ Atk Zygarde-Complete Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 129-153 (29.1 - 34.5%)

I’d also like to say that Scarf Mray is absolutely incredible right now, it’s a safety net against some mons with huge offensive presence such as Steelceus, Necrozma-Ultra, adamant rock polish Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, bu Marshadow, dd Zygarde, Mgar, other Mray, and others.

It can 2hko a wide variety of things with dragon ascent

Toxic allows Scarf Mray to cripple anything that can live 2 Ascents (Any defensive arc, lugia, etc),

Draco is great at sniping defensive Zygarde which is a very common switch in to most Mray sets, as well as doing big damage on Ttar

There’s also waterfall/surf which can be handy for 2hkoing Rockceus/Ttar and typically ohkoing Pdon

I’ve gotten a bit off topic but I had to explain why I didn’t think Zygarde-Complete was on Mrays level, even with the Power Construct ability

Side note: Zyg-C > Mgar. Still not by that much imo, I was thinking Mgar should be A+ but it’s very good at revenging UNecro which adds even more value to Mgar due to the very little things that can check it. Therefore I think S- is a good spot for both of these mons

Arceus Steel B+ to A-:

Truly no opinion, cm set is so annoying to face for some teams that rely on Pdon to check it, other teams have no problem with it if they have something like Marsh + perish/roar user + Scarf ray or Ho-oh. Rocks + Perish is an alright set as well but that wouldn’t be why I’d vote for moving steelceus up. Anyways better move Poisonceus up before this thing or I want names

Arceus-Poison - B+ to A-:

Do I actually need to say anything

sry arushi stealing ur pic n set

mr magnezone ^_^ (Magnezone) @ Leftovers

Ability: Magnet Pull

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Charge Beam

- Substitute

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Double Team

Magnezone Unranked to: D/C

Hmmmmm yeah I can’t say this is that useful, unlike in ou

Skarm and Celes are extraordinarily rare and both have moves that can kinda stop this from sweeping (whirlwind, shed shell, flamethrower, flame charge, leech), Ferrothorn is definitely used but really, what else does magnezone trap? It can sweep if it traps ferro, otherwise isnt this mon completely useless? (no disrespect, I think zone is cool) Gotta say n to this one though

Deoxys-Attack B- to B+:

Nah man, not at all. I don’t mean to sound like a broken record when people talk about Deo-A but there are too many things that obviously stop this. B- doesn’t mean this mon is bad, it obviously can be very threatening to some teams with psychic terrain to boost its psychic stab and deter priority while setting up with sashed nasty plot. There are still many scarfers being used like Mray, Xern, Yve, ogre, as well as some more funky ones like Marsh, Ho-oh, Lunala, and i’m sure others that I can’t think of atm. Even without scarfers there are other checks like Necrozma-Dusk-Mane specifically, Lugia, Tyranitars sand, Yveltal if no ice beam, and Darkceus/Ferrothorn forcing the deo to hit a focus miss (GL with that one).

Regirock Unranked to D

I have nothing to say, not even a sprite

Nihilego Unranked to D

I could get behind this one, big fan of T-Spike and having both hazards on one mon is definitely unique

Serperior Unranked to D:

I usually disagree with lavaclaws noms but I’d definitely support this one, Serperior is very dangerous and there are few stops to this mon besides rng when something gets parad. I don’t think i’ll elaborate on this one but I do think Serp is a headache for many ag teams

Mewtwo-Mega-X B- to B:

I agree that this has a similar property to Necrozma where you have no idea what the hell it’s going to use, therefore uncertainty can lead you to making the wrong play. It’s a pretty powerful type of bluff that has some potential. I already know what MMX does and I can see it moving up but.. being honest I’m not sure about this. I’d lean towards MMX being B than B- but yeah, gonna go with uncertain

TLDR:

Reg ray unranked to D: Uncertain but honestly N

Slowbro-Mega Unranked to D/C: Y

Lunala B+ to A-: Y

Necrozma-Ultra A to A+: Y

Zygarde-Complete S- to S: N

Arceus Steel B+ to A-: Uncertain

Arceus-Poison - B+ to A-: Y

Magnezone Unranked to D/C: N

Deoxys-Attack B- to B+: N

Serperior Unranked to D: Y

Mewtwo-Mega-X B- to B: Uncertain Word Count: 1562 Lol

GarbodorIsHot make room for one more analysis because ITS TIME for the best nom of 2018 (or should i say the 3rd best)

Vileplume Unranked --> D

Yep i feel like it is finally time to bring this one back to life! I have been using this mon for so long over the past year, and i feel like most people now can understand just how great this mon is now. The set i use takes full advantage of bulky balanced teams/cores as it pressures opponents to pick sleep fodder and forces predictions in order to bring in your check for free.

The set once again for those who are not aware:
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 HP / 196 SpA / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Strength Sap

This set i have found to be most optimal, as it can pressure supportceus with sleep and healing, as well as be able to deal massive damage to the threats it has such as pdon, mray, and yveltal. Strength sap also enables it to 1v1 mons you wouldnt normally expect this set to for example marshadow and zygarde.

Ive made this post twice in the past so i dont think i need to redo calcs but i feel it is finally time to bring this mon back, especially now that i feel people can recognize this mons uses in battle after all the games i have played vs great players here.

#ITSTIMEPLUME

I really like the activity on this thread, time for one more nom that probably won't get passed:

Blacephalon UR --> D

Blacephalon, in particular the scarf set, can be very threatening to many different teams. A very powerful stab in Mind Blown lets it not only deal massive damage to most offensive threats, but also pressure supportceus as well. In addition, its Fire typing means that it can beat things like Ferro and Steelceus, both of which are very threatening in the current meta.

Lastly, if running scarf, you can bluff faster threats like Marshadow and MGar and pick up a kill.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
Fire Blast combined with Shadow Ball enables Blacephalon to check many threats in the meta like Steelceus, Celes, Skarm, and also bluff Marsh
Mind Blown is a very powerful stab that usually deals massive amounts of damage even to supportceus.
Trick allows Blacephalon to deal with things like Chansey that would usually switch in on it
252+ SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 307-364 (91.6 - 108.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Necrozma-Ultra: 330-390 (98.5 - 116.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 306-361 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 378-446 (95.2 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar-Mega: 336-396 (128.7 - 151.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 258-304 (58.1 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Steel: 378-446 (99.2 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Steel: 342-404 (89.7 - 106%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Yes, it does get held back by other pokemon like Zygod, PDon, and MRay, but you can't have everything. The ability to check several different threats, like MGar, Marsh, Steelceus, and Ferro very well makes it, in my opinion, worthy of D rank.

I'm trash at ag so feel free to correct me

Sinnoh Sunlight

Banned deucer.
I really like the activity on this thread, time for one more nom that probably won't get passed:

Blacephalon UR --> D

Blacephalon, in particular the scarf set, can be very threatening to many different teams. A very powerful stab in Mind Blown lets it not only deal massive damage to most offensive threats, but also pressure supportceus as well. In addition, its Fire typing means that it can beat things like Ferro and Steelceus, both of which are very threatening in the current meta.

Lastly, if running scarf, you can bluff faster threats like Marshadow and MGar and pick up a kill.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
Fire Blast combined with Shadow Ball enables Blacephalon to check many threats in the meta like Steelceus, Celes, Skarm, and also bluff Marsh
Mind Blown is a very powerful stab that usually deals massive amounts of damage even to supportceus.
Trick allows Blacephalon to deal with things like Chansey that would usually switch in on it
252+ SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 307-364 (91.6 - 108.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Necrozma-Ultra: 330-390 (98.5 - 116.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 306-361 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 378-446 (95.2 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar-Mega: 336-396 (128.7 - 151.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 258-304 (58.1 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Steel: 378-446 (99.2 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Steel: 342-404 (89.7 - 106%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Yes, it does get held back by other pokemon like Zygod, PDon, and MRay, but you can't have everything. The ability to check several different threats, like MGar, Marsh, Steelceus, and Ferro very well makes it, in my opinion, worthy of D rank.

I'm trash at ag so feel free to correct me
If we’re being honest, ho oh walls this thing way too well. But I have less of a problem with that than with your set. Running mind blown on scarf with a Pokémon weak to rocks is absolutely terrible and only allows you one attack. If you,re really going for a last chance blow back, use specs. I don’t honestly understand why you would ever run mind blown on a scarf set. This is a hardcore no.

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
Been playing for 5 days now, so some thoughts:

Kyogre B- to B
And no, I'm not talking about the paltry scarf set that gets beaten by half a million things. I'm talking about the specs set. Oh my god is this set powerful. It absolutely rips through common stall and balance builds, and can pick up 2HKO's on its scarf's set most common switchins, including ferrothorn and chansey. Literally the only pokemon that doesn't just fold to it is spdef pdon. And yeah, it's a bit deadweight vs offensive builds, but this things ability to just force the opponent to choose sacks to get in their faster mon is insane.

Clefable and Breloom D --> Unranked
These pokemon are absolutely abysmal. Anything they do is outclassed by another pokemon that does the job 10 times better. They are extremely hard to use and can barely be pulled off at that. The .0001% of actually ok players who use these pokemon are sacrificing a squad member on a pokemon that often contributes nothing. I never see these pokemon, and I doubt I ever will.

That's it for now, but rest assured that HEATran nom is coming soon.

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Time for a VR update! You can view the votes for each nomination here.

Rises:
A to A+
B+ to A-
B+ to A-
B+ to A-
B- to B
B- to B
C to B-
UR to C
UR to D

Most of these rises are the result of trends that were seen in World Cup of OMs and in AG Seasonal Playoffs. Ultra Necrozma was underrated at first but has cemented itself as one of the most solid offensive Pokemon in the metagame, its flexibility, potency and the mindgames caused by Ultra burst make it worthy of being ranked alongside Dusk Mane. Arceus-Poison has been increasingly splashable as a reliable check to Fairy-types that can annoy most things with Wisp and Poison Jab, and it retains the versatility of any other Arceus form when it comes to support moves. Arceus-Steel has also been rising in usage, with many teams running only soft checks to it like Primal Groudon or Scarf Rayquaza the meta is more favourable to Arceus-Steel at the moment. Lunala also rose due to how difficult it is to reliably check defensively, its defensive Defog set is extremely potent as well as possibly the best Ultra Necrozma check out there. Mega Mewtwo X has been an underrated pick for some time, the Toxic + Taunt set is very difficult for balances to reliably answer and the mindgames it forces pre-mega are not to be underestimated. Mega Mewtwo Y stands out from the rest of B- because of how effectively it pressures balance teams, it's also a potent revenge killer and quite flexible in what it is able to break through. Naganadel saw several uses in World Cup of OMs and was incredibly potent when it was seen as a counter to balance or bulky offensive teams, which tend to have no defensive counterplay to it, though it is still held back by its frailty and prediction reliance. Mega Slowbro is a really solid check to a whole range of physical attackers like Swords Dance Necrozmas, Zygarde, most Swords Dance Arceus forms and Choice Band Ho-Oh. While taking up a mega slot is unfortunate, Mega Slowbro has enough of a niche by checking these threats to warrant a ranking. If you're wondering why I'm posting this update and not Megazard, it's because he was too ashamed to post reasoning for why Serperior got ranked. Serperior is able to effectively annoy balance teams with its SubSeed + Glare set, which retains utility against offense because paralysis is just really good. Not a splashable choice, but it's capable enough to warrant a ranking.

Drops:
S- to A+
D to UR

While Mega Gengar is still undoubtedly the second best Mega in the format, it has experienced a slight decline in tour usage and an increase in bulky offense builds less bothered by its presence. It remains a very solid teambuilding choice and restricting presence, but the council agreed it no longer stands out significantly from the rest of A+. There's only room for one shitty Grass-type in D-rank, so Breloom was given the boot to make room for Serperior. Jokes aside it's seen no usage for a long time and isn't something you'd build a serious team around in the current metagame.

Rejected Nominations:
S- to S / A+
A to A-
A- to A
B- to B / B+
B- to B
B- to B
D to UR
UR to D
UR to D
UR to D
UR to D
UR to D
UR to D

While the council was somewhat split on Zygarde, the general consensus was that it is significantly better than all the A+ Pokemon but not quite on par with Mega Rayquaza, so we've opted to keep it in S- for the time being, but this is a point we'd like to see some further discussion on. While Yveltal is less favoured now than it has been in the past, it's still an excellent offensive Pokemon and one of the best revenge killers of Ultra Necrozma. Ferrothorn is nowhere close to A rank, its vulnerability to trapping and a rise in Calm Mind + Water Spout POgre mean Ferrothorn is unlikely to rise anytime soon, even if it is still a very splashable support Pokemon. Deoxys-A is scary offensively but very inconsistent in a metagame where priority and Scarfers are very common, Psychic coverage is also being more prepared for with Ultra Necrozma being as good as it is which is bad news for Deoxys. Kyogre is certainly threatening for teams lacking a Primal Groudon, but Groudon is still very common and it generally has a really hard time against offensive teams which holds it back from B. Regular Mewtwo rising was discussed internally among the council, but it was voted against due to Mewtwo's lower consistency compared to its two mega forms. Clefable is a lot worse than it used to be, but the council agreed it still has a niche as an Unaware Pokemon that also provides cleric support. I won't go into all of the UR to D noms in detail, but most of these were rejected due to insufficient evidence or the Pokemon simply lacking a clear niche in practice. There was definitely a large gap between the quality of certain nominations, if you're going to make a nomination to UR to D make sure you include some replays and thoroughly explain the niche that Pokemon has.

Last edited:

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
Heatran_XY_Shiny_Sprite.gif

It's Time For HEATran!

Some months ago, I nominated Heatran for a rank. This was rejected probably because that post was absolutely abysmal and barely scratched the surface of what it can do.
So here we go.

Heatran has an absolutely amazing typing coupled with a really superb ability for it that allows it to beat many common pokemon in the metagame. I've talked about this thing QUITE a lot in the AG room, and a lot of people have dismissed this pokemon simply because they have no idea what set I'm proposing. Here are the sets that I think are able to be run in the meta, in order from best to worst:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Firium Z
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Dragonium Z
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
Let's go over these sets. The first one is Quintessential tran, a reliable stallbreaker with bulk enough to check other threats. Magma Storm is a high BP STAB move that inflicts turnly damage, but most importantly, traps. This is very important, as the rest of the set revolves around tran being able to toxic taunt stall the trapped pokemon. The great part about this is that with Stealth Rocks, it can often force defoggers to come in, and then proceed to easily take them out. The EV's are meant to make tran able to beat support arcs more easily, and leftovers is added due to lack of reliable recovery. Heatran also eliminates Gothitelle, which can be a very pesky pokemon for balance.

The next set is almost identical to the first one, however it allows it to soft check pdon and get an immediate toxic on pokemon running ground moves. Note the soft check on pdon. If pdon carries dragon rock or ice coverage, you're done for. After testing tran some times against stall, I noticed that only msab can reliably keep rocks from going up, so I added firium z to get a guaranteed 2HKO on msab.

Next comes the two most gimmicky sets. I wouldn't personally recommend these, but they have their small niche. Dragonium z can be used to OHKO mray after rocks, and kill zyg c with some chip. However, you will most likely waste a move slot, as I feel rocks are much better to have. The last set is one proposed by Unicorn Heart, and I'm honestly not very sure on it. The main idea is to surprise Ho-oh with edge, however tran traps and kills it anyway, so idk.

I've assembled a list of things that heatran beats, and that heatran struggles with, everything here is above C rank:

Good Matchup
  • Mega Gengar
  • Fairceus
  • Waterceus
  • Ho-Oh
  • Scarf Xern
  • Darkceus
  • Poisonceus
  • Ferrothorn
  • Celesteela
  • Skarmory
  • Rockceus
  • Tyranitar
  • Gothitelle
  • Lugia
  • Magearna
  • Mega Mewtwo Y
  • Grassceus
  • Flyceus
  • ONLY VIABLE OPTION THAT COUNTERS NAGANADEL

Bad Matchup
  • Ultra Necrozma
  • Mega Rayquaza
  • Primal Groudon
  • Offensive Dusk Mane
  • Groundceus
  • Normalceus
  • Marshadow
  • Offensive Steelceus
  • Lunala
  • Primal Kyogre
  • Ghostceus
  • Mega Mewtwo X
  • Kyogre
So overall, Heatran is not a "gimmick". It is perfectly viable, and can accomplish many important roles on a team. Please consider everything I have brought to the table, and I would love for there to be some discussion on this mon.

(In case it wasn't clear, Heatran UR --> D)

Finally, Solrock D --> UR this mon is garbage and we all know it.

Last edited:

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.

Tapu Koko Unranked → D / C
Honestly shocked this isn't ranked yet.
Shocking Charlotte (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
Tapu Koko is one of the best anti-Smeargle leads, thanks to its terrain activation, the rest of the team doesn't need to worry about Spore, and there's no way Smeargle is gonna Nuzzle a Koko if it hasn't been taunted yet, so you can safely Volt Switch into your Defog user and Defog whatever hazard it attempts to set up. Grass Knot hits Ground-types such as Arceus-Ground or Primal Groudon who attempt to switch in or act as a safe move as it hits almost everything aaand Thunderbolt also 2HKOs ALOT of things. And since it's one of the fastest Pokémon in the metagame, Tapu Koko also works as a revenge killer for stuff like Ultra Necrozma and Support Arceus formes.

Details and replays can be found on my RMT.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
quick nom

Primal Kyogre - A- to A
Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam

second most threatening wallbreaker in the game besides mega ray imo. the set above is insanely good because it beats pretty much all of its defensive counters. groudon takes a ridiculous amount from +1 ice beam, so you don't need that much chip to beat it, especially with stealth rock + potential toxic. chansey, blissey, and ferrothorn all get chunked by +1 spout if you calm mind as they switch in. kyogre is one of the best mons if you play aggressively, bringing it in as opponents bring in their hooh/groudon/steelceus/rockceus/groundceus/weak support arceus/dusk mane/any slower mon. you don't even really need to predict while using this set; you click either spout or cm or i guess ice beam if you predict them to pivot in ray or to chip groudon a bit. spout is pretty much impossible to switch into and something will become extinct if this comes in on a groudon. playing really aggressively and doubling on a hooh or coming in on groudon rocks can be dangerous but incredibly rewarding if pulled off correctly. kyogre definitely is pretty influential on teambuilding as well; i know that when i'm building, having a proper kyogre check is always a necessity (usually spdef groudon or ferrothorn, though i dislike spdef groudon because it feels very passive and can be a burden if kyogre happens to come in on groudon). kyogre is definitely more on the level of pokemon like xerneas and ho-oh than poisonceus and lunala in my opinion. kyogre also has really nice defensive utility for bulky offense and hyper offensive teams: not instantly losing to cm groundceus (for bulky offense/balance) and cm steelceus (offense). both of those can be really tough to deal with for a lot of teams but kyogre really shuts them down. kyogre really pairs so well with mega ray for an ultra powerful offensive core because rayquaza deals with every kyogre counter, so you can double in rayquaza when you bring in kyogre because the defensive play is often forced. you can also double to kyogre on a rockceus/steelceus pivot on a banded or scarf rayquaza, giving u free leeway to fire off a free hit. another thing i forgot to mention is that this kyogre set basically 6-0es stall if you play right because cm + water spout will obliterate blissey and then there's nothing else to take a spout. unless you come across some weird gastrodon stall (you wont unless u vs fardin), a well-played kyogre will dismantle pretty much every stall. besides this set, kyogre has a bunch of other options too: defensive is a real bitch to deal with for a lot of teams, physical can catch a lot of pokemon off guard, sub calm mind can be a decent wincon, even something like calm mind + rest can be good in the right situation (look at mz vs mobius from ssnl). there are so many more things to mention: great bulk, forces predictable plays often through ridiculous offensive presence, etc. kyogre is just so good in this meta and while i think it's generally a higher risk pokemon than a lot of other 'safer' picks, it's so incredibly rewarding when played right. there are a few notable replays that come to mind when i think of good kyogre games:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-771420160 - pg vs ham for ompl. this is like the textbook kyogre destruction. pg played incredibly aggressively with kyogre, bringing it on a a double from steelceus predicting the hooh and again and again on the hooh and rockceus predicting recover, allowing him to literally kill everything with water spout. obviously not every game will go like this with a kyogre but this goes to show that with correct playing kyogre can destroy teams even with good checks (ferrothorn).

then heres some scattered replays, some from ompl/omwc and some just from my laddering experience (~1700). wasnt really bothered to go looking that hard
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-828357309
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-846436010
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-825311686
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-824931876 - nice replay where both had good work done with kyogre. i played mine pretty aggressively as well - on the rocks from groudon, on the fairyceus double, and managed to kill a lot with it and actually win with it
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-828908072
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-762465046
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-766421030 - specs spout kyogre here to absolutely demolish stall but cm spout would've done close to the same thing
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-768966242
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-770321647 - scarf ogre here, dismantles stall with goth support

anyway that's all for today, signing off

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
Just would like to reiterate something I talked about earlier, and also mention other stuff:
Solrock D --> UR
Since I started playing actively again, I have not seen this pokemon once. Its main job is to "check" Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza, which sounds amazing, until you realize that it doesn't check them reliably at all. If mega ray has a dragon or water move, Solrock is eaten alive. Toxic and special oriented Pdons also beat it. Then we come to the conclusion that Solrock is complete deadweight besides checking two pokemon. It's utterly useless in the current state of the meta.
Alolan- Muk D --> UR
Bro, what is this actually doing here? The main niche it has is to counter deospam, but the playstyle has evolved to have answers to Muk (albeit, deospam is still crap) I honestly don't see any reason to use this.
Tapu Koko UR --> D/C Disagree
Honestly, I would support this thing if the OP was actually showcasing a good set, however, that isn't the case. Main problem I have here is Koko's extreme lack of bulk, and the fact that it often can't fully do what it wants with specs. I feel that Koko's biggest niche is beating smearg and such, which this set fails to do reliably, due to it lacking taunt. Can be dangerous in the right scenario, but there's always Zekrom and Eleceus, which can often do the same thing, just better.
Primal Kyogre A- to A Neutral
I'll give you credit; Pogre is insane when played right. However, most players can't play it right, and it turns into a sack for mray. While, yes, it clearly stands out from the rest of A-, I don't feel that it is on par with the things in A. You cant honestly tell me that pogre is equal to fairceus, because it really isn't close. Don't particularly care where it goes, it still is gonna do the same thing as always.

AloMuk - thing should stay ranked. Most stallbuilds appreciate the trapping of MegaGar/ while yes, ttar definetly does that better giving a flying resist additionally which is massive, focus blast is still a possibility even if not common. Also stuff like mega mewtwo or yes, deospam lol

Koko - this is good if you are expecting cheese. Dealing with smeargle stuff can be annoying more often than not and you can bust out natures madness vs pdon which can be nice. Stopping stall from resting can also be big, I would argue this deserves the D

Lana

formerly pichus
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
few noms:

Arceus-Water to A

IMO, Arceus-water is one of the best support arceus formes right now. It is able to check Pdon, Dusk Mane, Marshadow, Ekiller and soft check Rayquaza, Zygarde and Ho-Oh, which means that youre checking the top physical attackers with just one pokemon. Its also an excellent defogger as it can safely defog vs Dusk Mane and Primal groudon which are the one of the most common rocks setter. Im starting to use this over Fairy and Ground arceus on almost every team because of these given reasons and ive also seen a lot of people use this on most of their teams. It is extremely splashable (haha get it?) because of how many roles it can perform and I think that its definitely deserving to be placed with Fairyceus and Groundceus in the VR.

Arceus Ghost to B+

B rank is pretty low for such a big offensive threat. It dropped when Marsh released and hasnt been raised since, unlike Arceus/Arceus-Steel/Arceus-Dark. This can single handedly 6-0 unprepared HO and Balance teams and its definitely deserving to be atleast B+. I dont have much to say here because I think most people can agree to this, however i wouldnt mind providing replays later to support this nomination.

Arceus-Steel to A

Steelceus is extremely underrated and underused in AG even though its veryy good rn.
I'll explain its main sets in detail.

Calm Mind is its best set. There is no consistent check to it other than Ho-Oh, which is rather uncommon now. +1 Earth Power can kill Pdon after chip. Thunder can also be run if youre confident about taking care of the Pdon weakness. Scarf Ray and Marshadow are some other notable checks, however they cannot consistently beat Steelceus as they can be easily played around with. Another CM steelceus set no one talks about is Iron Defense. With ID, you can set up on lefties ho-oh, beat Scarf Ray, beat pdon if you can use iron defense once before it comes in. Iron defense also forces Marsh to click spectral thief which means u can get some chip by using Judgment on the turn it spectral thiefs. What makes its special than most other CM Arcs is that it is immune to Toxic, which forces them to run a hard check like marsh/ho-oh/scarf ray

Another set that needs some light is Swords Dance Substitute. You can lure in Ho-Oh (If stone edge as 4th move), Waterceus, Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Poisonceus with this set. +2 Z Iron Head is extremely strong (ill post calcs later). Luring in and removing the given walls and be extremely helpful to other teammates (maybe use both CM steelceus and SD steelceus so that they can help each other?!)

Finally, Stealth Rock + CM/Perish/Toxic is also a very good rocks setter as it is immune to toxic. CM and Toxic pressurizes opposing defoggers (we've already discussed how good CM is) and force them to switch out meaning youll get your Rocks up most of the time. Not much to talk about here because the role of a rock setter is pretty self explanatory.

I do not have replays to back up any of these nominations yet, but i will post some in near future. If anything is unclear dont hesitate to ask me.

Other noms:

Heatran: Support

This can be super annoying to some balances and MDB has made a gorgeous post explaining it very well.

Koko: Support

If anyone disagrees with this, clearly you havent used or faced one. This is extremely annoying to face and def deserves D or C for sure.

Pogre: Support(?)

Cant make up my mind about this but im leaning towards supporting the nom.

Solrock: Support

couldnt care less if this is ranked or not lol.

A-Muk: Disagree
I'll keep this ranked, very good gengar, ygod and xern check in 1 pokemon.

Last edited:
Posting a nom
250px-073Tentacruel.png
UR->D

Honestly Surprised this isn't ranked.
Good spinner with access to toxic spikes and haze also relativity bulky specially

set:
Tentacruel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
Posting a nom
View attachment 156279UR->D

Good spinner with access to toxic spikes and haze also relativity bulky specially

set:
Tentacruel @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
I'm just going to go ahead and say I hardcore disagree with this. Every roll that Cruel "fills" is outclassed by other, better pokemon. The only way it differentiates itself from pex (which in and of itself isn't very good) is that it gets rapid spin, which is really only viable on Hyper Offense and even then I'd rather use Excadrill or Smeargle. There's little to no point of using this thing unless you're memeing or Samboelrod

Arceus-Water to A

IMO, Arceus-water is one of the best support arceus formes right now. It is able to check Pdon, Dusk Mane, Marshadow, Ekiller and soft check Rayquaza, Zygarde and Ho-Oh, which means that youre checking the top physical attackers with just one pokemon. Its also an excellent defogger as it can safely defog vs Dusk Mane and Primal groudon which are the one of the most common rocks setter. Im starting to use this over Fairy and Ground arceus on almost every team because of these given reasons and ive also seen a lot of people use this on most of their teams. It is extremely splashable (haha get it?) because of how many roles it can perform and I think that its definitely deserving to be placed with Fairyceus and Groundceus in the VR.
Agree
Waterceus is one of the best defoggers in the tier rn, and also it can be a really good check for Dusk-Mane and some of the greatest threats in the meta rn, and Arceus in itself and all of its other formes are really the only decent defoggers around. Skarmory is only okay at defogging because some of the top tier threats literally dumpster it (Pdon, Zyg-Complete, Ho-oh) It can also be run as a bulky attacker, but Waterceus is usually only ran as a defogger.
Arceus Ghost to B+

B rank is pretty low for such a big offensive threat. It dropped when Marsh released and hasnt been raised since, unlike Arceus/Arceus-Steel/Arceus-Dark. This can single handedly 6-0 unprepared HO and Balance teams and its definitely deserving to be atleast B+. I dont have much to say here because I think most people can agree to this, however i wouldnt mind providing replays later to support this nomination.
Disagree
I don't think Ghostceus should rise. as you said, it dropped when marshadow came out and it hasn't risen again, and thats because Marshadow can really do anything ghostceus can. The only set it runs is a ghostium z set with shadow force. Marshadow can run LO, CB, or SSSSS sets. Marshadow is overall a better ghost than arceus imo
Arceus-Steel to A

Steelceus is extremely underrated and underused in AG even though its veryy good rn.
I'll explain its main sets in detail.

Calm Mind is its best set. There is no consistent check to it other than Ho-Oh, which is rather uncommon now. +1 Earth Power can kill Pdon after chip. Thunder can also be run if youre confident about taking care of the Pdon weakness. Scarf Ray and Marshadow are some other notable checks, however they cannot consistently beat Steelceus as they can be easily played around with. Another CM steelceus set no one talks about is Iron Defense. With ID, you can set up on lefties ho-oh, beat Scarf Ray, beat pdon if you can use iron defense once before it comes in. Iron defense also forces Marsh to click spectral thief which means u can get some chip by using Judgment on the turn it spectral thiefs. What makes its special than most other CM Arcs is that it is immune to Toxic, which forces them to run a hard check like marsh/ho-oh/scarf ray

Another set that needs some light is Swords Dance Substitute. You can lure in Ho-Oh (If stone edge as 4th move), Waterceus, Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Poisonceus with this set. +2 Z Iron Head is extremely strong (ill post calcs later). Luring in and removing the given walls and be extremely helpful to other teammates (maybe use both CM steelceus and SD steelceus so that they can help each other?!)

Finally, Stealth Rock + CM/Perish/Toxic is also a very good rocks setter as it is immune to toxic. CM and Toxic pressurizes opposing defoggers (we've already discussed how good CM is) and force them to switch out meaning youll get your Rocks up most of the time. Not much to talk about here because the role of a rock setter is pretty self explanatory.
i'm not gonna comment on this because i've never seen or used a steelceus

UR->D

set:
Tentacruel @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
there are better hazard removal mons out there in skarm, waterceus, and smeargle. and like MDB said,
Every roll that Cruel "fills" is outclassed by other, better pokemon. The only way it differentiates itself from pex (which in and of itself isn't very good)
thank you.

Posting a nom
View attachment 156279UR->D

set:
Tentacruel @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
While I do love and adore this mon (and the set which you copy-pasted from), I have to agree that rapid spin and its speed stat are the only things distinguishing this from Toxapex, which does everything Tenta can but better (unless you use it like I do). But yeah there are just better options, even for Rapid Spinners, specifically Excadrill. I don't think it deserves to be ranked.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
i nom things bc i cant just leave this metagame alone apparently

d->ur
youre never using this in a practical team due to it halfassedly "checking" everything it supposedly checks. delete this from vr

b->c at least
mmx is a waste of a mega slot 99% of the time and the other 1% id prefer another stallbreaker. pigeons wont let me nom this for ur even tho i still think its shit, i think c is reasonable, it has to go down a bit at least.

d->ur
horrid websetter, shouldve never been ranked, can easily be played around since everyone knows the gimmick now. smeargle and shuckle are both better 100%, please just use them.

d->ur
everyones gotten off the hype train, it's just not good, this should go

d->ur
at one point this was a good pdon and darkrai check, it was a good lead, it was a decent baton passer, but 2016 left us a while ago. i don't feel confident in having this mon ranked and im unsure for what exact reason we decided to keep it here. i might be missing something but this generally doesnt have a substantial niche in the way id consider using other d rank mons ever.

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
i nom things bc i cant just leave this metagame alone apparently

d->ur
youre never using this in a practical team due to it halfassedly "checking" everything it supposedly checks. delete this from vr

b->c at least
mmx is a waste of a mega slot 99% of the time and the other 1% id prefer another stallbreaker. pigeons wont let me nom this for ur even tho i still think its shit, i think c is reasonable, it has to go down a bit at least.

d->ur
horrid websetter, shouldve never been ranked, can easily be played around since everyone knows the gimmick now. smeargle and shuckle are both better 100%, please just use them.

d->ur
everyones gotten off the hype train, it's just not good, this should go

d->ur
at one point this was a good pdon and darkrai check, it was a good lead, it was a decent baton passer, but 2016 left us a while ago. i don't feel confident in having this mon ranked and im unsure for what exact reason we decided to keep it here. i might be missing something but this generally doesnt have a substantial niche in the way id consider using other d rank mons ever.
Solrock D- UR I already nommed this Chloe, thanks for agreeing.
MMX B --> C
This... I'm sorry this just doesn't make sense. Personally, I think MMX has been a consistently underrated mon for a while. When you send in your Darkceus because special mewtwo is infinitely more common, and they low kick you, it goes to show how much relies on getting the special/ physical prediction right. Toxic/ Taunt sets sound p gimmicky but they can be incredibly annoying for teams to face. This nom is (sorry to say) indicative of a lack of actually playing with this pokemon, because this is a far better mon than the crap in C.
Slurpuff D --> UR AGREED
Serperior D --> UR Neutral, leaning towards agree
Honestly, I think this was overblown with Lava's RMT, where it only worked sometimes because of massive team support. However, it can still be really annoying if it gets the hax it needs, so basically every time I face it.
Gliscor D --> UR Agreed, no one uses this and it's extremely situational.

Solrock D- UR I already nommed this Chloe, thanks for agreeing.
MMX B --> C
This... I'm sorry this just doesn't make sense. Personally, I think MMX has been a consistently underrated mon for a while. When you send in your Darkceus because special mewtwo is infinitely more common, and they low kick you, it goes to show how much relies on getting the special/ physical prediction right. Toxic/ Taunt sets sound p gimmicky but they can be incredibly annoying for teams to face. This nom is (sorry to say) indicative of a lack of actually playing with this pokemon, because this is a far better mon than the crap in C.
Slurpuff D --> UR AGREED
Serperior D --> UR Neutral, leaning towards agree
Honestly, I think this was overblown with Lava's RMT, where it only worked sometimes because of massive team support. However, it can still be really annoying if it gets the hax it needs, so basically every time I face it.
Gliscor D --> UR Agreed, no one uses this and it's extremely situational.
As far as the MMX rebuttal goes, you can’t argue for it to be B on the basis that it checks 1 mon whose usage is on the decline. I agree with Chloe in that it doesn’t have much of a place in today’s metagame. It can have a niche, sure, but B rank is way too high for this mon.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Art by imas

Welcome to the Anything Goes Viability Ranking project. The concept of this thread is that we will organize the Pokémon into ranks, varying on how good they are within the metagame. You are encouraged to post thoughts on where each Pokémon should be ranked; however, there are a few regulations to follow:

- Nominations without context or supporting evidence will be ignored. Providing replays and usage stats are excellent ways to display your nominated Pokémon in action; although, this is not required and should not be the basis of your argument.
- Be civil when debating with other users. Nothing makes an argument seem more subjective than when insults and name-calling occurs instead of actual debate on the topic at hand. Posts that take this to the extreme will be deleted.
- Ensure any replays provided are against skilled opponents with actual teams. If your opponent has a Choice Band Shaymin-Sky, this is a clear indication that this is not the case.
Viability Council
Catalystic
Megazard
Pigeons
PurpleGatorade
GarbodorIsHot

Dontstealmypenguin
Fardin
Thimo
Chloe
Zenithial
HunterStorm

The Pokemon in the sub-ranks are ordered in alphabetical order.

S Rank

S Rank
Rayquaza-Mega​
S- Rank
Zygarde-Complete​

A Rank
A+ Rank
Gengar-Mega​
Groudon-Primal​
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane​
Necrozma-Ultra​
A Rank
Arceus​
Arceus-Fairy​
Arceus-Ground​
Ho-Oh​
Marshadow​
Xerneas​
Yveltal​
A- Rank
Arceus-Dark​
Arceus-Poison​
Arceus-Steel​
Arceus-Water​
Ferrothorn​
Kyogre-Primal​
Lunala​

B Rank
B+ Rank
Arceus-Rock​
Celesteela​
Giratina​
Sableye-Mega​
Skarmory​
Smeargle​
Tyranitar​
Vivillon​
B Rank
Arceus-Ghost​
Chansey​
Excadrill​
Gothitelle​
Lugia​
Magearna​
Mewtwo-Mega-X​
Mewtwo-Mega-Y​
B- Rank
Arceus-Grass​
Arceus-Flying​
Blissey​
Deoxys-Attack​
Deoxys-Speed​
Kyogre​
Mewtwo​
Naganadel​
Shuckle​

C Rank
C Rank
Arceus-Dragon​
Dialga​
Ditto​
Giratina-Origin​
Slowbro-Mega​
Toxapex​
Zekrom​
D Rank
D Rank
Arceus-Electric​
Arceus-Fire​
Clefable​
Glalie​
Gliscor​
Groudon​
Klefki​
Kyurem-White​
Landorus-Therian​
Lucario-Mega​
Muk-Alola​
Necrozma-Dawn-Wings​
Pheromosa​
Pyukumuku​
Quagsire​
Salamence-Mega​
Scolipede​
Serperior​
Slurpuff​
Solrock​
Tapu Lele​
Tyranitar-Mega​
This rank is for Pokemon viable only on completely Baton Pass oriented teams. They are not relevant for any other strategy. Pokemon viable on Baton Pass and non-Baton Pass teams are ranked as normal above.​
  • Drifblim
  • Dugtrio
  • Eevee
  • Espeon
  • Krookodile
  • Mew
  • Mimikyu
  • Mr. Mime
  • Umbreon
  • Vaporeon
  • Whimsicott
  • Zapdos
  • Zoroark
Tapu Lele D to C. Lele literally holds together psyspam, one of the most powerful playstyles, due to it's ability. It's worth noting that this is the usage statistics: 29 | Tapu Lele | 4.39984% | 12764 | 1.345% | 8590 | 1.437% |
This puts it above such good pokemon as mewtwo (mega or not), excadrill, sableye, and the always memed klefki.
It's base stats are not particularly good, but its ability just is perfect. With supporting psychic terrain, many psychic pokemon such as necrozma-ultra and the mewtwos can singlehandedly sweep teams. There is no reason for this excellent support pokemon to languish in D tier, with the likes of clefable and solrock. I'll edit this post with replays when I get a chance.

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
Tapu Lele D to C. Lele literally holds together psyspam, one of the most powerful playstyles, due to it's ability. It's worth noting that this is the usage statistics: 29 | Tapu Lele | 4.39984% | 12764 | 1.345% | 8590 | 1.437% |
This puts it above such good pokemon as mewtwo (mega or not), excadrill, sableye, and the always memed klefki.
It's base stats are not particularly good, but its ability just is perfect. With supporting psychic terrain, many psychic pokemon such as necrozma-ultra and the mewtwos can singlehandedly sweep teams. There is no reason for this excellent support pokemon to languish in D tier, with the likes of clefable and solrock. I'll edit this post with replays when I get a chance.
No man, not at all. Tapu Lele is ranked only because it supports psyspam, one of the most inconsistent playstyles out there that is only really effective if you get a large amount of hax or face underprepared teams. Lele itself is weak on its own and can't break one of the most common pokemon in the tier in Dusk Mane Necrozma. This thing isn't anywhere near C rank, and it's quite laughable how uninformed this post is. I would really like to see these replays of Tapu Lele putting in work and not just dying in one hit to allow Deoxys to sweep.

Last edited:
As an avid psyspam user I can say with confidence that lele deserves it's d ranking

Also some noms
mega slowbro c -> d This mon is usable and checks a lot of stuff, but I see no reason for it being c rank

Blissey b- ->b It just does what chansey does but doesn't have to hold an eviolite to do it, You can give it a shed shell so it isn't destroyed by the many trappers in ag

Scizor ur-> Baton pass scizor has a niche in baton pass, with the ability to learn moves like agility, iron defense(making it one of the few bp users to get a defense boosting move) and double team. Scizor has had a niche in baton pass teams since gen 2 and it can still be a valuable mon to put on bp teams

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
As an avid psyspam user I can say with confidence that lele deserves it's d ranking

Also some noms
mega slowbro c -> d This mon is usable and checks a lot of stuff, but I see no reason for it being c rank

Blissey b- ->b It just does what chansey does but doesn't have to hold an eviolite to do it, You can give it a shed shell so it isn't destroyed by the many trappers in ag

Scizor ur-> Baton pass scizor has a niche in baton pass, with the ability to learn moves like agility, iron defense(making it one of the few bp users to get a defense boosting move) and double team. Scizor has had a niche in baton pass teams since gen 2 and it can still be a valuable mon to put on bp teams
Scizor uses Swords Dance too.

Skarpherim

is a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Howdy all, I'm really liking how the VR is looking atm. To me it seems that just about every high ranked mon fits in their appropriate rank fairly well and makes sense as to why they're in their respected places. Currently there's been a purge of low ranked mons (which i'll be adding to that today) and i'd like to talk about what I think should and shouldn't qualify a mon to be put into D rank. Here are the mons I am nomming:

Yveltal A to A-
Lugia B to B-
Mewtwo B- to B
Pyukumuku D to UR
Quagsire D to UR

First i'm going to start with Pyuk
and Quag
. My reason for nomming these two down is not mainly because they do not fulfill some role adequately enough, but because they are out of place in the meta and serve no purpose for being on a team. Both unaware mons are dead weight and can only put in work if your opponent plays poorly. Let me elaborate, Pyukumuku and Quagsire can only shine when faced against setup mons like CM Arceus and Geo Xern (for pyuk) or Ekiller (for quag). Looking at their sets, Z-Purify is fairly easy to play around due to just about every team having the ability to do heavy damage vs pyuk or being able to phase out bp with psong/roar/dtail/whirl, Psych Up + BP can only be great if your opponent has geo Xerneas and plays into your hand, Soak seems alright for checking dusk mane but in reality Searing Sunraze Smash ignores unaware and sends it to hell at +2. For Quagsire, I really struggle to find what it does well... It can't check any Marshadow set even with max defense and things like Pdon and Mray destroy it 1v1. Checking ekiller is about its only strength, and that's a mon that not every team has **cough gen6** especially when balance is so popular these days. To add onto why these mons have fallen off, when the h*ck are you going to use these mons on a decent team? I don't believe they fit on any playstyle and simply are just there because they can kinda beat some setup mons even though 99% of the time they're just free momentum for the opponent. I might as well add that they're both crippled and completely useless once hit with a toxic. Onto my thoughts on D rank Pokemon

What makes a mon worthy of D Rank in AG?
To me, mons in D rank are not that good. They don't typically hold up against top tier mons like Mray, Pdon, Pogre, Necrozma variations, Ho-Oh, and so on. They have a clear weakness or lack of something essential, which is why they're obviously ranked worse than the other mons that do a better job at performing certain roles. D rank mons generally rely on specific Niche's that can perform well if certain conditions are met. A very simple example is, our friendly neighbor Tapu Lele
which would be completely worthless in AG without its ability. Its stats are very unimpressive 70 / 85 / 73 / 130 / 115 / 95 and it can only manage to be viable with the support of Deo-A
. Even so, psychic spam stays a semi-relevant (reluctantly said that) playstyle that can sometimes win in todays meta, which is why Tapu Lele is in D rank. Here's another case of D rank mons that can stay relevant in certain situations, even though they're not very good in general. For example, I can see the benefit of using pokemon like Mega-Lucario
and Landorus-Therian
on sticky web, due to Mluke's destructive power but average speed tier, and Lando-T utilizing intimidate, stealth rock, uturn, and explode. Though as for my Pyuk and Quag noms, I see no purpose of them for anything; which is why they should be purged. The important point I also wanna make here is, when nomming a mon up or down into D rank, think about what Niche, Purpose, and or Role that it plays on a team, otherwise it's just pointless to have them in this category. D rank mons are not memes. They are completely usable and actually can perform a significant role on a competitive team

Alright now onto the serious noms that I think would accurately represent the meta even further for the VR

We'll go upward and continue with Mewtwo
. The set that I specifically feel has become very powerful in the meta is stall2.

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psystrike
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

For balance players this thing is an absolute nightmare and sometimes is a certain 6-0 with no chance at winning. It's hard to elaborate what it does besides pressure stall by spamming taunt/recover to wall anything that can't do enough damage (talking support arcs, ferrothorn, celesteela, support zygarde, dusk mane) and wisp/taunt to beat any physical threats (mray, dusk mane, ekiller, tyranitar). With hazards (spikes is big yikes) it just gets even worse to face this thing. The only complicated part of stalltwo is that it can be a bit difficult to build with, but even so, high level players can abuse this thing incredibly well. If I could use a sentence to describe why mewtwo should move up then it'd be something like: "Wait, MMX is B but M2 isn't?" It's also worth mentioning that Taunt 3 Atk Life orb and screens are as well alright options for offense.

Next is quite a depressing nom which I am sad to say that in my opinion it has fallen, it being Lugia

Lugia simply doesn't fit on teams anymore. Balance almost never supplies enough defog support to keep stealth rocks of the field and Multiscale intact. For quite a while I have been trying to make Lugia stall, and to be honest I've given up. It's simply not possible to check everything, or even check "the big threats" of AG. Marshadow, Mray, Pdon, Pogre, Necrozma Dusk-Mane, Necrozma-Ultra, Ekiller, Ghostceus, CM refresh arcs, Mgar + any dangerous setup mon, MMX, MMY, Stall2, Lunala, Yveltal, Ho-Oh, you get my point, can't beat all of these consistently with just 6 mons. The best you can do is partially check most stuff and pray for MU. In my opinion, Stall has fallen off as a viable playstyle when battling vs a competent and competitive opponent. There are also almost no notable stall teams besides that one that loses to Zygarde or something.. I'm not going to be upset if people think that Lugia is still good as a B rank mon, but to me it just seems like a dead mon currently and should probably be dropped. As for Lugias role on a team, it walls setup arcs incredibly well, walls most mray sets, walls pdon, sometimes walls pogre, like, it's defensive capabilities really are incredible when rocks are off. It gets trapped by Mgar if no ttar or Psychic though, which is unfortunate - though if your opponent is using Mgar then that means they're not using Mray so... /._.\ But yeah, I still believe Lugia should be dropped, tho this is definitely up for debate

Time to trigger some people. Yveltal
is a fantastic mon, but right now, I don't think it's on the same level as any of the others in A rank. To me A- rank looks way better of a fit. Let me explain by listing the strengthens and weaknesses of Yveltal

Strenghts:
  • Great mon on webs and offense in general, lo taunt is still a very powerful set, good for keeping Marsh at bay especially when offense has many mons which lose to Marshadow
  • Scarf set can still be used well, one of the few viable uturn mons in AG, scarf checks unecro and revenges things pretty decently
  • Defensive isn't too bad, an average defogger, taunt defensive can be nice if you're abusing hazards like spikes, checks Ekiller/Ghostceus with foul play
Weaknesses:

• Wait, does it actually check Necrozma....? It's not actually the most reliable check, needs some backup like scarf Xern for U-Necro or Ho-Oh for Dusk-Mane
  • When I said scarf is good, I meant to say it is but it's also kinda fallen off and isn't used often because it's not powerful enough/gets walled easily
  • Rocks are really a huge issue if you're using defensive Yve to check Ekiller and Necrozma, very easy to setup rocks
  • Life Orb lets Mray come in and cause serious damage, need to win sucker punch mind games or it could cost you the game
  • The things that check Yveltal, check Yveltal very well, such as: Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh, Arceus-Poison, Arceus-Rock
Overall, Yveltal is still extremely good and will be used often. Still I don't believe it belongs in A rank anymore, A- just looks like a better fit to me
I didn't write much about Yveltal because everyone knows what it's capable of. Looking at how it's changed is the important part and the big thing for me is not being a consistent Necrozma check. Charti Berry is ass btw, it's like running Chople Berry on Ferrothorn

My last thoughts on some previous noms that have came up are:

Heatran UR to D - No
Tapu Koko UR to D/C - maybe D but eh
Pogre to A - No, Mray teams are the meta right now and something gets clocked whenever Mray comes in after Pogre claims a kill
Solrock UR to D - Do i really need to say
Alolan-Muk D to UR - No
Arceus-Water to A - No but I love this mon still
Arceus-Ghost to B+ - No in my opinion, I don't think any team gets swept by this anymore
Arceus-Steel to A - I don't believe the CM set is that powerful to justify this, great mon though
Tenta UR to D - No
MMX B to B-/C - I don't think MMX is that great either, needs a good MU, walled by Zyg and Fairyceus, No reason to build over Mray. I'm going B-
Slurpuff D to UR - Neutral at this time, I can't say i'm a fan of this mon anymore though
Serperior D to UR - It seriously can be good but I understand the reasoning behind this, no for me still. standing firm
Gliscor D to UR - Yes
Tapu Lele D to C - No, psyspam isn't great and it serves no purpose on any other team
Mega-Slowbro C to D - No, great check to physical attackers like Necrozma, Mray, Ekiller, Zygarde, MMX, MMY, and Ho-Oh
Blissey B- to B - No, this mon is trash and doesn't check offensive pogre at all, dies to psyshock xern as well, completely inferior to chansey besides being able to escape from Shadow Tag because of Shed Shell
Scizor UR to BP - don't care it's bp rank

ciao

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)