Project USUM PU Teambuilding Competition [Week 3: Jynx, Voting Phase]

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
approved by the mods
op stolen from previous thread (that stole it from DOU) and updated slightly
great banner by the amazing dibs c:

48T6ecR.png
Welcome to the PU Teambuilding Competition! This is a weekly competition that you can join at any time. Basically, what we are going to do here is see who can build the better team, hence the name. Each week, I will post a core, set, theme, or Pokemon and then you guys will post an importable of a team featuring said concept. Along with the team, you will post a short summary that may include: your teambuilding process, how the team works, replays, etc.; it's gonna look like a mini-RMT of sorts (replays are not 100% required, although they do provide us with a clearer representation of how the team works). After a few days, I will close submissions and then anyone can come and vote on the team that they think is best. The winner of the week will get some sweet bragging rights while also having their team featured for everyone to see in the Teams Hall of Fame n_n

Rules and Mechanics: Here's the process of how this competition will be hosted
  1. Five (5) days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, be sure to follow this format!

2. Two (2) days of voting for the winning team.
Sprites
Importable
Description

Screenshot 2018-10-20 at 19.55.18.png

Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your entry on the thread!
  • Optional but recommended: sprites. Setting to choose "sprites" in the sprites category in this sprite converter (http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php) will help me TREMENDOUSLY.
  • Importable of your team in a hide tag
  • A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together.
  • Basically, that means you'll be using TWO hidetags in total.
It is recommended that you implement sprites (http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php), replays, or other things to improve your chances, but you must have the two in the bullet points.

If you're using sprites, place them outside of the hide tags, not inside them!

Discussion and Changes: People are free to talk about their and other people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's team but only to an extent; while you can suggest small things such as a nature change or move change, don't change up their team's structure or rebuild it because there's a different forum (RMT) for that. This isn't an RMT thread.

Winning: If you win, then congratulations! You'll have your name and team featured on the PU Teambuilding Hall of Fame! /o/

Copying Teams: Please don't. This just ruins the fun we can get out of this competition and is against the rules. You'll be DQ'd from the week if you were found copying other people's teams. If you suspect someone of doing this, PM me. Hopefully no one would do this, but take this as a warning. You can have help from others when building, but if multiple people work on one team, credit EVERYONE INVOLVED.

On Bandwagoning / Namevoting: Please don't do this either. Don't just vote for a guy just because they have a ton of votes already or they're famous. Don't feel pressured to vote for anyone for any reason other than having the best team. If you really think a team is the best out there, vote for that team; don't let anything pressure you to do otherwise. Bandwagoning just ruins the spirit of this competition and isn't cool :c

Also, please don't ask people to vote for you. You will be DQ'd from the week if you are found doing this as well.

On Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this competition, feel free to PM me. It'll be considered, but there are ultimately no promises if it'll be implemented.

On Slashes: In play, you can only bring four moves; whatever set of moves you choose slashes is reflective of your own skill as a builder, and having slashes in a submission would be against the point. This is your own team; this isn't an analysis.

Tiers: A week is for PU unless stated otherwise.

Current Slate:

Dodrio

Last edited:

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
Week 1: Jellicent

Let's kick things off with Jellicent. Ever since it recently dropped, Jellicent has made a massive impact on the tier. Its defensive sets being difficult for teams to break through while also reliably blocking Rapid Spin and annoying opposing teams with its utility moves, while its Choice Specs set are ridiculously hard for many teams to switch into, and it's forced Pokemon like Roselia to show up on teams to deal with it. There's definitely room for creativity and other sets, so have fun building around it!

Last edited:

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

My process of building this team was to build a team that helped remove threats to Jellicent. Dodrio helps get rid of any Grass Type's as well as also being able to handle dark types. Dodrio also helps break any special walls that Jellicent may lure in. Next I wanted a fast scarfer who was capable of dealing with opposing Dodrio and being a general overrall good Revenge Killer. Toge seemed to fit the best so I went with it as it helps get rid of Scyther, certain Jellicent, opposing Dodrio and the variety of Rock Types that are within the meta as well as being a usual pivot to build momentum. Next I wanted to add in a set up sweeper that benefited and complemented Dodrio/Jellicent/Toge. The first one that came to mind was Lilligant, Lilligant benefits from Dodrio removing grass types for it to get off a sleep powder freely. Lilligant also helps deal with opposing Jellicent as well as being able to catch flying/grass type switch in's by surprise with HP Ice. Finally I wanted a hazard setter as the team really appreciates chip damage to help it clear out threats, I decided to go with Aurorus as it is useful for not only setting rocks but setting up hail which I added in A-Slash to take advantage of and also be the Team's Rapid spinner. I wanted my setter and spinner to complement one another as well as function with the rest of the team to form one solid unit. The team is built around removing threats so Jellicent can fire off spec's boosted moves freely and if it is unable to do so have Dodrio/Lilligant as back up options for late game cleaning/mid game set up with the Hail Combo there to glue things together.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-824139171

(click me)
Station to Station - David Bowie
Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hex
- Recover
- Scald

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Skuntank (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Dodrio (M) @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick

Togedemaru (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

While I said I built this around Dodrio in the sample teams thread, I actually lied, because this was actually a bulky offence build that I built around the set that tap shared a few days ago. Dodrio made of an excellent partner, as Jellicent possess the ability to efficiently remove many of Dodrio's checks and counters, including Regirock and Defensive Mesprit. SD Flyinium Dodrio requires specific support, including hazard control and a Regirock check or a secondary breaker that heavily pressures certain physical walls, with the most notable example being Regirock, which would otherwise invalidate it. Skuntank happened to fulfil many of the required roles, in addition to pressuring many of Dodrio's defensive checks, including Mesprit, Sableye and the aforementioned Regirock, which it traps and fears with a poison respectively. It also threatens many of Dodrio's offensive checks, trapping the likes of Froslass, Haunter and Alolan Raichu, which is especially notable, as this build struggles dealing with the latter defensively. Mesprit provides the team with hazards support, while also providing the build with a general blanket check versus problematic threats, including Gurdurr, Togedemaru and Qwilfish, in addition to invaluable Healing Wish support, which allows the team to be played more aggressively in general. Togedemaru provides this team with speed control, while improving the team's matchup versus Scyther, opposing Dodrio, Froslass and Lycanroc lacking sucker punch. Togedemaru also forms a very potent Voltturn core with Mesprit, which allows nearly everything to come in without much repercussion, which is especially useful in the offence matchup. Jellicent was added for a multitude of reasons - for one, it improved the team's matchup versus Aggron, as the following spread outpaces Jolly Aggron, while maximising bulk to improve the matchup versus prominent breakers such as Qwilfish, Swanna, Sandslash and Hitmonchan. Jellicent also gave the team a competent stallbreaker, allowing this build to easily bypass stall, in addition to improving the build's matchup versus rain. Finally, last mon Gurdurr gave this team priority, a reliable method to deal with Aggron, defensive Jellicent and Aurorus, while providing this team with a second form of priority.

asa

PU Leader
Congratulations to curiosity for winning Week 1! Your team will be archived!

Week 2: Dodrio

Let's follow up with Dodrio, the second of the three most recent drops. Capable of functioning as a setup sweeper, immediate wallbreaker, or late-game cleaner, Dodrio is decently versatile and one of the deadliest Pokemon in the tier. Have fun building around it!

e: let's pretend i'm not late with this too lol

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Return

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Bomb

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Lilligant @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Healing Wish

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Dodrio and Quagsire have neat synergy, with Quagsire walling Rock-types and providing some assistance against Electric-types (although it's not the best counterplay), while Dodrio offers a check to Grass-types. Quagsire also does a good job at spreading chip with Toxic and Scald. I paired Quagsire with a Rocker that helped against special attackers (Clefairy), the go-to Defogger and Scarfer (Skuntank and Togedemaru), and an epic source of firepower in Choice Specs Lilligant, who also beats down Rock-types and gives Dodrio another chance to sweep with Healing Wish. Pretty cool team if you ask me.

Last edited:

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Quick Attack

Mudsdale @ Figy Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 44 Def / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Acid Spray
- Taunt

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break
- Knock Off

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Weak Armor
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
Very straight forward team, it is a variation of a team that I created during my final week in the tutor program under TJ as a test to see what I could come up with by myself, that version of the team had SD Drio with Fly-Z, but I've liked using this variation a little more. This team uses the combo of CB Dodrio to bust and break as many things as possible so that either Lilligant or Omastar can come in and set up to finish off anything that Dodrio is unable to break or kill, Mudsdale for rock's, getting toxic on things to wear them down and to help take rock/electric type hits for the rest of the team. I wanted something rather fast and with a wide range of moves to use for a scarfer so I went with Scyther to help give the team something speedy that also was able to hit relatively hard to deal with opposing scarfers or opposing set up sweepers. Also have Skuntank here to try to help with the teams match up against Alolachu/Mesprit and also soak up the rare toxic spikes and help remove rocks so Dodrio doesn't kill itself any faster then it already does when running band as well as being there to try to prevent rocks/status from being set up in the first place. I really like the Acid Spray set here as it really hinders what can come in and stay in on Skunk for too long without being hit by Darkinium-Z. The entire team is meant to weaken, cripple or bust through enemy teams to help allow the cleaners to sweep easier with Dodrio being the main breaker on the team and the central member to get thing's rolling so that the rest of the team can come in after Dodrio has done it's thing and finish things off.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Return

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Taunt
- Recover

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Birdspam. The best two birds paired with claydol (awful mon ik but this is fun). You break past regirock via sd jumpkick+knock scyther, if one of them dies in the process np, this is an attempt to build HO so ig it should be used as HO. Claydol can deal some damage and spin from time to time, lilligant+jelli put an enormous amount of pressure and dont let rocks be set up. Toge is one of the best PU mons imo and theres no reason not to use it ig, checks lilligant, cripples lanturn and checks birds. Skunk beats this team but we cant be using gurdurr everywhere right?

1540919523660.png1540919591392.png1540919628594.png1540919646287.png1540919659675.png1540919669889.png <-- click this

so i highkey forgot this website existed and i was randomly scrolling through and saw this and that dodrio was the mon for this phase. this was something i built when drops first initially hit and i had a bit of success with with the little time i've played on showdown cause fuck mons amirite. dodrio + cb aggron is a really nice core that I wanted to try out as aggron breaks a lot of things which later enables for dodrio to clean up later on. hitmonchan and mesprit were later added for hazard support mons with rapid spin and stealth rock respectively. healing wish is also really nice for either aggron or dodrio to be restored health and continue to wreck shit. jellicent was also a new drop and quickly became of my favorite mons to use because of how many things it can do. its a fat water, spinblocker, has scald, and somewhat helps me against more fat matchups with its access to taunt. lastly i added togedemaru because this mon is fucking broken and needs to be deleted from the game. also because the team was pretty slow overall outside of dodrio so having good speed control and a nice pivot with u-turn was really good. this'll probably be my last post for another 10 months so yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)