Resource USUM PU Viability Rankings

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Right at the tail end of Gen7, we have an update. There might potentially be 1 more after LTPL (a small one) but this one should be expected to be the final large adjustment of the generation.

Rises:

Torterra A+ to S
Jellicent A to A+
Musharna B+ to A-
Leafeon B- to B+
Silvally Dragon B- to B
Bronzor C to B-
Carbink C+ to B-
Cryogonal A- to A
Silvally Poison UR to C+
Liepard C- to C+
Camerupt C- to C

Drops:

Dugtrio-Alola B to B-
Volbeat C+ to C
Faticate B- to C+
Bellossom B- to C
Mawile B- to C+
Gastrodon B+ to B
Type-Null B+ to B

Check out the results and voting here. The sheet has returned, so some reasoning is provided. The big one to take away from this is the brand new S rank of Torterra. Torterra's continued extreme success that was outlined in this post, along with having enough of an impact to influence other rises like Leafeon and Cryogonal, have given the council enough reason to believe that it is S rank material. Other notable rises include Jellicent, who is the primary answer to the surge of Ice and Fire attacks (another thing Torterra has influenced), and Musharna, who has risen to fill some of the void that Mesprit left behind while also utilizing some unique Future Sight tech. As for drops, most have "a long time coming" kind of feel, such as Bellossom's continued tumble down the ranks and Type-Null largely being unable to keep up with the new enhanced pace of the metagame.

And with that, we move forward into Gen8. I have seen a few concerns that "Gen8 PU will not exist/won't be good" and I wanted to take the time to say that these worries are largely unfounded. Sampling all of the mons and basing it off of comparable scenarios from the past, zard and I both are confident that PU will continue to thrive well into Gen8 and beyond. But for us so low into the tiering process, we still have an extra 8 or so months of SM PU being the current format. We even have a few more things planned for SM PU still! So sit back, relax, either pick up an oldgen or continue exploring the great note SM PU ended on, and wait with the rest of the community for Gen8 to arrive. I'll be here for when it comes, and I hope you will be too.

Last edited:
really quick noms bc i have a lot i want to cover:

:eelektross: S > A+
still great but no longer as dominant or threatening, faces a lot of competition from lanturn rn due to the latter's incredible typing and access to ice coverage letting it not choke vs fire-types and torterra.

:jellicent: A+ > S
definitely the best mon in pu rn, no other mon can match its sheer versatility and effectiveness as of now. defensive/taunt+z move/otr are all extremely good

:sandslash-alola: A+ > A
not the first time i'm nomming this down, good mon yes just not on the same level as other a+ mons. the increased presence of jelli as well as the continued prevalence of gurdurr make it struggle in plenty of mu's.

:skuntank: A > A+
skunk is really good again, best pursuit trapper in a tier where mush and bronzor just win so many matches on team preview, great versatility, band/scarf are both legitimately threatening and defog/taunt sets can put in some decent work too

:musharna: A- > A / A+
one of the most influential mons in pu rn. future sight sets basically force u to run skuntank/bronzor/metang and even then it just puts in an incredible amount of work

:silvally:(fairy) A- > B+
def has seen some better times, it's just kind of a meh mon rn that serves as a sitting duck in many matchups and kinda chokes against most rocks setters. even with its role compression it's hard to justify using as a fighting check when musharna is so good and fits really well on almost every team rn

:aggron: B+ > B-
this mon is ASS. i honestly don't know why it's still this high. banded sets are occasionally fun but stealth rock sets are super subpar and 95% of this tier's viable mons rk it

:floatzel: B+ > B
decent on paper but ends up horribly losing every time someone tries using it in a tour, jellicent and lanturn are everywhere, still has a niche ig but it's really not great lately

:rotom-frost: B+ > A-
not the first time i'm nomming this up, this is really on par with other a- mons, not meta defining but a very solid choice in plenty of scenarios. consistently good

:bronzor::carbink: B- > B
both have seen solid tour usage, they're both quite passive and def not a first pick over our top three rockers (tort, muds, regi) but they're very solid when played well and u have to account for them when building bc clicking x when u realize u have no answer to that flying metal discus really sucks

:dugtrio-alola: B- > C+ / C
we have so many good rockers

:golem: C+ > C-
there's seldom a good reason to run any of these

:probopass: C > D
i mean this thing's entire niche is magnet pull and it loses to most relevant steel types in the tier

:manectric: D > UR
can we end the gen by putting this poor thing out of its misery ty for reading

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like a lot of Royesk's noms, just want to toss a few more things out there that council is talking over before we do a (probably) final post-ltpl VR update. These are just mainly with regards to catching up on LTPL meta trends that ought to influence the VR

:Silvally:-poison C+ to B/B+
Not 100% on where this should end up but its role compression is just real nice right now and the current ranking doesn't reflect how much it's popped up for being a mon that lets you fill so many things at once, especially Victreebel check

:Simisear: A- to A+
Premier offensive mon rn, not much more needs to be said

:Primeape: A to A+
This thing's spent the whole gen going up and down the A ranks but right now it's gotten marginally better, back to the strongest scarfer, Toxic and Pursuit keep it mildly more unpredictable ig but nothing has really changed for it it's more just felt stronger in the current meta

:Kadabra: C to B-
Nothing too drastic here but a mon I really enjoy that's now seen some more reason to get experimented with in the last few weeks of LTPL. Kadabra's pretty easy to sell as that thing that's always been okay but we never messed with enough this gen

Royesk's noms also cover Musharna to A which I definitely would've put down after covering what it's been doing in LTPL. Personally I'm also completely down for Jellicent to S, not so much for taking eel out though it's still pretty stupid and I think Jellicent/Eelektross/Torterra is a good trifecta of really annoying things that deserve to be a step above everything else

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
really quick noms bc i have a lot i want to cover:

:eelektross: S > A+
still great but no longer as dominant or threatening, faces a lot of competition from lanturn rn due to the latter's incredible typing and access to ice coverage letting it not choke vs fire-types and torterra.

:jellicent: A+ > S
definitely the best mon in pu rn, no other mon can match its sheer versatility and effectiveness as of now. defensive/taunt+z move/otr are all extremely good

:sandslash-alola: A+ > A
not the first time i'm nomming this down, good mon yes just not on the same level as other a+ mons. the increased presence of jelli as well as the continued prevalence of gurdurr make it struggle in plenty of mu's.

:skuntank: A > A+
skunk is really good again, best pursuit trapper in a tier where mush and bronzor just win so many matches on team preview, great versatility, band/scarf are both legitimately threatening and defog/taunt sets can put in some decent work too

:musharna: A- > A / A+
one of the most influential mons in pu rn. future sight sets basically force u to run skuntank/bronzor/metang and even then it just puts in an incredible amount of work

:silvally:(fairy) A- > B+
def has seen some better times, it's just kind of a meh mon rn that serves as a sitting duck in many matchups and kinda chokes against most rocks setters. even with its role compression it's hard to justify using as a fighting check when musharna is so good and fits really well on almost every team rn

:aggron: B+ > B-
this mon is ASS. i honestly don't know why it's still this high. banded sets are occasionally fun but stealth rock sets are super subpar and 95% of this tier's viable mons rk it

:floatzel: B+ > B
decent on paper but ends up horribly losing every time someone tries using it in a tour, jellicent and lanturn are everywhere, still has a niche ig but it's really not great lately

:rotom-frost: B+ > A-
not the first time i'm nomming this up, this is really on par with other a- mons, not meta defining but a very solid choice in plenty of scenarios. consistently good

:bronzor::carbink: B- > B
both have seen solid tour usage, they're both quite passive and def not a first pick over our top three rockers (tort, muds, regi) but they're very solid when played well and u have to account for them when building bc clicking x when u realize u have no answer to that flying metal discus really sucks

:dugtrio-alola: B- > C+ / C
we have so many good rockers

:golem: C+ > C-
there's seldom a good reason to run any of these

:probopass: C > D
i mean this thing's entire niche is magnet pull and it loses to most relevant steel types in the tier

:manectric: D > UR
can we end the gen by putting this poor thing out of its misery ty for reading
First and last gen7 vr post coming to talk about current noms;

-Eel - agree, drop it - kinda surprised that the "broken vic" never followed eel there

-Jelli - disagree, pu has 0 S rank worth mons and jellicent is overrated af. Saying its the best mon of the tier is silly. Its good, sure, i agree with that. Skuntank is making also its new rise what comes to usage, which definitely wont help jellicent

-A-Slash - agree, can even go to a-

-Skunk - agree, good move pool and offers possibility for mixed sets + musharna gets some stupid amount of usage

-Mush - disagree HARD, i find this nom extremely weird. The listed mons "it puts work against" is only vs. metang and thats just a chip. This mon just absolutely hates u-turns (doesnt love volt switch either) which forces it to low hp very fast - provides momentum for you oppo and makes it useless. Ofc it worked when nobody used skuntank (or absol after mesprit left), but now the skunk is back. Otherwise most often is just a set up fodder. + it really fears the toxic in case its not heal bell

-Fairy Vally - disagree hardly, Vally-F is one of the few viable Fairy types, which allows you with its speed (well only fast fairy with it is mr.mime actually) to pressure stuff like Chan/Meape, Absol, Shiftry etc. The movepool is great, either to support the teammates or just touch the right mons. Flame for Tangela, Sand-A, Ferro, Vic and all and even the pivot is really great. Its not post to be anyway your 'main' fighting check - more like a light check to gain the momentum back. Top to that, just please dont compare it to musharna, that is just silly.

-Aggron - this is fine, if its regular B, dont mind staying in b+ either. On the edge to leave it really, since now it has very valid reason to run a double punch set (double stab+firepunch+icepunch) to punish people. Banded rocks works as well very well.

-Floatzel - agree, can go even one step lower than that since froslass is gone.

-frostom - agree

-bronz+carb - agree

-a-dugtrio - disagree, u just dont use this as a rocker. Banded set or sub+toxic are valid ones - leave it as it is

-golem - fine, have never rly seen this used, so fine... If someone shows valid replay(s), i can recall it

-probo - same than golem

-manectric - disagree, leave as it is, still provides fine speed tier with switcheroo to lock lanturn+eel or even possible rockers like muds+tort

I like a lot of Royesk's noms, just want to toss a few more things out there that council is talking over before we do a (probably) final post-ltpl VR update. These are just mainly with regards to catching up on LTPL meta trends that ought to influence the VR

:Silvally:-poison C+ to B/B+
Not 100% on where this should end up but its role compression is just real nice right now and the current ranking doesn't reflect how much it's popped up for being a mon that lets you fill so many things at once, especially Victreebel check

:Simisear: A- to A+
Premier offensive mon rn, not much more needs to be said

:Primeape: A to A+
This thing's spent the whole gen going up and down the A ranks but right now it's gotten marginally better, back to the strongest scarfer, Toxic and Pursuit keep it mildly more unpredictable ig but nothing has really changed for it it's more just felt stronger in the current meta

:Kadabra: C to B-
Nothing too drastic here but a mon I really enjoy that's now seen some more reason to get experimented with in the last few weeks of LTPL. Kadabra's pretty easy to sell as that thing that's always been okay but we never messed with enough this gen

Royesk's noms also cover Musharna to A which I definitely would've put down after covering what it's been doing in LTPL. Personally I'm also completely down for Jellicent to S, not so much for taking eel out though it's still pretty stupid and I think Jellicent/Eelektross/Torterra is a good trifecta of really annoying things that deserve to be a step above everything else
-Poison Vally, agree

-Simisear, agree, but would still drop it to A instead of A+, dont mind a+ bcs of grassium set

-Ape, agree

-Kadabra, disagree, first this thing needs to win a game by doing actually something.

Also my only nom,

Torterra to a+, pu simply just has 0 S rank worth mons right now. Nothing goes absolutely wild or gives hard time to builders. Torterra is very well soft checked by a lot of stuff and pu is full of valid u-turners, blizzard spammers (or other ice type move) and simisear seems to be hot stuff rn to use. Eelektross gets out of it nowadays more often thanks to its u-turn aaaaand so on.

okay bye

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
just a very quick post

pu has 0 S rank worth mons

(stuff)

Torterra to a+, pu simply just has 0 S rank worth mons right now.
to quote the op:
PU does not use rank descriptions like some other tiers do. Each Pokemon in a rank should just be seen as above or under Pokemon in other ranks rather than needing to fit a certain set of criteria.
:jellicent:
i support jelli to s, it's, imo, the best mon in the tier rn. it offers sm building-wise, and i dont see why you think skunk is an issue for it; defensive set beat physical skunk in a 1v1 (if colbur), while non-band (or z) skuntank sets dont do that good against offensive sets.

:musharna:
i agree with musharna to a, the role compression it offers is greatly appreciated, and while skuntank is an issue for future sight sets, it struggles against calm mind sets, which i think are also very good.

:silvally: (fairy)
i think this should stay in a-, if anything, i think it's closer to a than it is to b+. the swords dance set is extremely threatening and dangerous if ever it finds an opportunity to setup, which isnt very hard considering its defensive typing and bulk give it opportunities against stuff like gurdurr and choice-locked mons like alolan sandslash and primeape. i also dont get the musharna comparison - if anything, i think they work well together. i dont really like the defog set as it ends up inviting regirock, mudsdale, and bronzor which means they get more opportunities to set rocks, but it works ig.

i dont have much else to say about the other noms that wasn't already covered, or i dont care enough about the noms lol, ty for reading :toast:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
just a very quick post

to quote the op:

:jellicent:
i support jelli to s, it's, imo, the best mon in the tier rn. it offers sm building-wise, and i dont see why you think skunk is an issue for it; defensive set beat physical skunk in a 1v1 (if colbur), while non-band (or z) skuntank sets dont do that good against offensive sets.
I get the point of role compression the jellicent is capable of providing (just like any other a+ mons for a good reason - even eelektross) here is few points to open up the jellicents case as you were wondering.

-Jellicent is never switching in vs. skuntank (colbur is too valuable) and even then, you need to pretty much scout if its physical or special (we can agree that most of them are physical). Whenever you get your colbur activated, jellicent is simply useless vs. skunk. Not gonna even mention the lates OTR boom

-Why would the colbur get activated? There is bunch of physical dark type move users that lures jellicents in, if it works as a primal physical wall , here is few of them: A-Slash, Dodrio, Scyther, gurdurr. Even Ferroseed and Clef can afford running knock off easily.

-Jellicent doesnt appreciate hazards at all and even less the possible status on it. Which means that keeping jellicent on absolute full is extremely hard. You dont need to get too much an actual chip to get in range of for example z-darkinium + following crunch if you decide to WoW.

-Some of the jellicents runs toxic instead of wow for role compression and to support the team better. Thanks to skuntanks typing, it wont affect.

-Skuntank nowadays even enjoys of using toxic on its fourth slot after the Torterra dropped into the tier and from there to cripple entire jellicent. Toxic alone on skunk lets it better MU nowadays vs. the rocker mons we have (muds, tort, regirock) which it cant otherwise touch that well. So a wow trade for toxic seems a hella fine and opening the doors for a physical mons

-Whenever you bring the jellicent in to take dmg from physical attackers, you are most often forced to click recover and keep let the opponent have the current momentum, so you can keep their a-slashes etc, under your control.

Do I still think jellicent is good? Yes. Do I use it a lot? Yes. Is it worth S rank? Never for current meta.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
Jellicent is never switching in vs. skuntank (colbur is too valuable) and even then, you need to pretty much scout if its physical or special (we can agree that most of them are physical). Whenever you get your colbur activated, jellicent is simply useless vs. skunk. Not gonna even mention the lates OTR boom
i never said it switches into skuntank; i said it 1v1s skuntank. also, it's not really useless against non-banded sets after it has used its colbur, it takes a scarf crunch for example and can will-o skunk and then recover the damage lost

Why would the colbur get activated? There is bunch of physical dark type move users that lures jellicents in, if it works as a primal physical wall , here is few of them: A-Slash, Dodrio, Scyther, gurdurr. Even Ferroseed and Clef can afford running knock off easily.
you're never gonna use jelli as your dodrio switchin though, while alolan sandslash doesnt run knock off very often, and when was the last time scyther was used in a tournament? i honestly dont think these examples are very good outside of gurdurr, but even jellicent shouldnt be your only gurdurr switchin (or even be one) considering after consuming the colbur berry and (most likely) ending up crippling the gurdurr with a burn, you end up taking over 50% by knock off + rocks. this leads to awkward 50/50 scenarios in the gurdurr user's advantage

Whenever you bring the jellicent in to take dmg from physical attackers, you are most often forced to click recover and keep let the opponent have the current momentum, so you can keep their a-slashes etc, under your control.
what physical attackers? against the first ones that come to mind (alolan sandslash, combusken, and primeape), you dont even have to recover the first time u switch in due to them doing negligible damage.

also, while toxic skunk is an issue, it isnt that common and i've seen more of taunt skunk, which if anything, is a bigger issue to non-scald jelli. it still cant switch in though, or ends up doing 0 due to the burn, which i dont really see as a lose situation to jellicent, as realistically most team have something to take advantage of a burned skuntank. i dont get why you paint skuntank to be a big issue for jelli when it isnt

also unrank mane

Leni

formerly tlenit
RUPL Champion
i never said it switches into skuntank; i said it 1v1s skuntank. also, it's not really useless against non-banded sets after it has used its colbur, it takes a scarf crunch for example and can will-o skunk and then recover the damage lost
Yup, you indeed never said that, i said it. I was pointing out the facts of it. Not making up any stories that what u have or have not said.

you're never gonna use jelli as your dodrio switchin though, while alolan sandslash doesnt run knock off very often, and when was the last time scyther was used in a tournament? i honestly dont think these examples are very good outside of gurdurr, but even jellicent shouldnt be your only gurdurr switchin (or even be one) considering after consuming the colbur berry and (most likely) ending up crippling the gurdurr with a burn, you end up taking over 50% by knock off + rocks. this leads to awkward 50/50 scenarios in the gurdurr user's advantage
True again, you are not going to use jellicent as main defensive wall for dodrio, however, dodrio happens to have two very common moves (return/frustration and jump kick to be clear enough) that he likes to spam and has 0 effect vs jelli while lures it in.

When was last time scyther been used in tournament? Just 10mins ago in a circuit poffs, week ago in a circuit poffs, in ltpl aaand in snake too. You should know that as you follow those, right?

what physical attackers? against the first ones that come to mind (alolan sandslash, combusken, and primeape), you dont even have to recover the first time u switch in due to them doing negligible damage.
here is few for you (i bet you can figure the rest out), mudsdale, dodrio, kabutops, hitmonchan with tpunch. Sometimes even the common volt switch users forces it to click recover while facing them as well.

also, while toxic skunk is an issue, it isnt that common and i've seen more of taunt skunk, which if anything, is a bigger issue to non-scald jelli. it still cant switch in though, or ends up doing 0 due to the burn, which i dont really see as a lose situation to jellicent, as realistically most team have something to take advantage of a burned skuntank. i dont get why you paint skuntank to be a big issue for jelli when it isnt
Not sure how much you play nowadays pu but toxic skunk is getting more and more common. Whenever new stuff comes to tier / meta changes, u need to adapt, u know.

also unrank mane
not sure why this became such a big deal for u and royesk but its fine by me, it simply just doesnt deserve it. Ik u guys like the scarf lanturn meme for surprise momentum but come on, be real at least.

Anyway, lets agree we disagree so we can keep this thread on these noms,

Cheers buddy

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
With the end of the gen past and LTPL finally over with, I wanted to make one last VR post with some shifts i think are worth doing before we effectively lock the gen. First, to address some of the recent discussion.

Jellicent: A+ to S Agreed
I agree that bulky sets can sometimes struggle to stay healthy all game and being forced to Recover often forces you into some bad situations. That being said a well preserved Jelli can still just win late game even in bad matchups thanks to being dummy thicc and how stupid Cursed Body + spamming Recover can be. its also worth noting Rindo Berry has seen some use to 100% check Z Grass Simi and surprise Torterra which can further add to how annoying Jelli can be. However with all this being said I still think utility sets are only A+ worthy. What really makes Jellicent S for me is how dangerous OTR is (and to a lesser extent Scarf but no one will believe me so I'll just leave that one). Thanks to its fantastic bulk even when its using half its EVs for SpA, OTR Jelli can still function as a check to most of the things utility still checks and concurrently be able to set up TR even on super effective moves like Rotoms Tbolt fairly easily. This makes trying to prevent Jelli from ever setting up TR pretty much impossible. If we can't prevent TR going up then we just have to check it defensively, but there are very few mons in the tier that can consistently stop a TR jelli. The few that can are incredibly passive and can be easily exploited such as Clefairy or Audino. The unpredictability of what Z move it might be running makes it even more difficult to deal with once TR is set up.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-1047626478 Me vs Luthier LTPL
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-1041434314 Taskr vs TSR LTPL
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-1037741157 Hjad vs Skipkan Circuit Poffs
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-1033904690 Hjad vs TJ Circuit Poffs
These replays showcase that even teams that are well prepped for TR jelli such as TJs team with Sucker Shiftry and AV Drampa still struggle to deal with a well played Jelli. I really feel like this set is one of the most dangerous in the tier right now and alongside the other great sets Jelli can run I think S makes perfect sense for it.

Sandslash-A: A+ to A- Agreed
While i think the rise of Jelli and to a lesser extent Bronzor has certainly hurt Slash's effectiveness it has also adapted to those meta trends by running Knock and Toxic on utility sets and Shadow Claw on Hail sets to help alleviate some of these issues. However, even though Slash runs adaptions to cripple the ghosts blocking its spin, it still often fails to ever get a spin off in a game with a Jelli, which is most of them. Also contributing to its fall from favor is simply its inability to have enough role compression compared to other balance staples such as muds and regi. Comparatively, Cryo's ability to have a chance in the 1v1 with Jelli, not be hard forced out by most eels, ability to run defog to dodge spinblockers, and fantastic speed makes it easier to fit over Slash. Considering all this, I think Slash should be one rank under Cryo in A-

Drampa: A to A+
Drampa often feels like one of those mons that can get value no matter the matchup. Thanks to its bulk, typing, and flexibility between AV, Specs, or CM Z it becomes one of the easiest breakers to get in. Virtually nothing can safely deal with this thing. Even the recently popular Carbink needs to worry about the pressure Energy Ball puts on. Looking at recent tour results, this feels like the biggest no brainer change before the gen ends.

Silvally-Fairy: A- to A+
Thanks to the rise of Simisear and Offensive Jellicent, Dragons and Dark types respectively have gotten more popular in order to check these things. Usage of mons like Shiftry and Altaria/Drampa has been much higher recently and because of this, fairies in general have become much more important in order to check these things. Standard Defog Pivot is one of the most reliable removers in the tier on teams that don't need it to remove vs our common rockers long term thanks to its solid speed and bulk and can very easily grab crucial moment. SD is still an incredibly potent sweeper especially when paired with other sweepers such as Omastar which often require scarf ape or mach from Hitmonchan or Gurdurr to revenge, giving Fairyvally easy setup.

Gurdurr: A+ to A
Gurdurr can still be a fantastic mon, but recent meta changes have made its job just a bit harder and I feel a small drop on the VR would reflect that. Fairyvally, Jelli, Musharna, and Vic have all been more popular over the last few months and the sheer frequency all these checks appear on teams just makes Gurdurr a little less effective than what it used to be. It's still one of the best checks to smashers and HailSlash, but as I said above, setup spam can turn that strength into a liability that can give things like TR Jelli free setup.

Lycanroc: A- to B+
Lycan just suffers a lot this meta. A solid way to revenge Simisear is pretty nice, but Torterra and Mudsdale being on most every team just leaves it deadweight in a lot of matchups. The only team archetype I think it can really succeed on is Physical Spam when its paired with things like CB Ape or Stout but I really wouldn't consider using it much outside of that and I feel B+ fits it better right now.

Persian-A: A- to B+
Another fast mon that isn't as useful as it used to be but for different reasons from Lycan. While the rise of fairies has certainly hurt it, there's a more important reason i rarely consider using Persian. From TR Jelli to Simisear, there are a lot of really good z users in the current meta so trying to justify using Z Parting Shot on Persian has become increasingly difficult. Imo Persian without Z Pshot is a big waste so you can see where the dilemma comes up with fitting Persian on teams. Could honestly see this one lower but B+ is probably fine.

Clefairy: B to B+
Speaking of fairies, I think Clef deserves a bump on the VR. Just like Fairyvally, Clef has become a much more useful teamslot to check the rise in use of dark and dragon types. A strong status sponge is really important right now. It's flexibility set wise also makes it easier to fit on teams. Between Phys Def and Spdef, it can run pure utility or CM on either spread and check all but the strongest breakers. While it competes with Fairyvally a lot for the slot on a lot of teams, Clef still has its niche on bulkier balance teams and I feel that niche is worth about B+.

Thanks for reading! :blobnom:

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With SS PU just around the corner, we have just enough time for one more update. Here it is:

Jellicent A+ to S
Sandslash-A A+ to A
Drampa A to A+
Silvally-Fairy A- to A+
Musharna A- to A
Rotom-F B+ to A-
Lycanroc A- to B+
Persian-A A- to B+
Clefairy B to B+
Bronzor B- to B
Carbink B- to B
Floatzel B+ to B
Aggron B+ to B
Dugtrio-A B- to C+
Golem C+ to C-
Probopass C to D
Manectric D to UR
Silvally-Poison C+ to B
Simisear A- to A+
Primeape A to A+
Kadabra C to B-
Leafeon B+ to A-
Crabominable B+ to A-
Exeggutor UR to D

Many of these shifts have been based on the plethora of high-level PU games that have been played in the past months in tournaments. Some of the more notable ones include Jellicent to S and Simisear to A+. These moves are based on the exceedingly excellent tournament showings that these two have had. Other shifts, like Primeape to A+ and Lycanroc to B+, are more of cleaning up the VR to better align with the final reality of the metagame.

This thread will remain open until SS PU launches in a few weeks. Feel free to comment and debate these changes until then. Here is the spreadsheet showing all of the votes. It has been quite the generation for PU, but ultimately I am personally confident that this VR is the most accurate for the final version of this metagame.

See you all next gen!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)