Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Assault Vest Eelektross counters Oricorio-G because the most it takes from Oricorio-G is Revelation Dance which 4HKOs Eelektross but its Thunderbolt OHKOs Oricorio-G. It can also still check Oricorio-G if it has used Calm Mind once because Revelation Dance 3HKOs Eelektross but it can 2HKO or get lucky and OHKO Oricorio-G. Oricorio-G with Substitute and one Calm Mind or just two Calm Minds is threatening for Eelektross so it can check Oricorio-G before these boosts and Substitutes.

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Rules:

"2. Focus on posting PU-viable Pokemon listed in the SM PU Viability Rankings Thread."

Much as I would like to accept the above nomination because lol corsola, I'm also going to have to reject it because lol corsola
It's not because it's unranked that it should be unranked. Like shiinotic..... Let tomorrow's metagame begin here. I will have no choice but to nom corsola in the VR then.

Jenny (Spiritomb) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Foul Play
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

This is the the closest thing to a viable all out counter that I can come up with. Ori cannot OHKO even after a boost whileTomb can 2HKO reliably with Shadow Sneak, KO with pursuit and even has a chance of OHKOing with Sucker Punch with no prior damage on Oricorio-G. Finally Tomb can hit Ori through its substitutes thanks to infiltrator.

Even after a CM, Origorio-G cannot OHKO 100%HP Spritomb and cannot 2HKO without a boost even using a Z-move. Ori's only hope is hurricane confusion hax but that is something always on the table with hurricane users

Boosted

+1 252 SpA Oricorio-Sensu Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Spiritomb: 232-274 (76.5 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unboosted

252 SpA Oricorio-Sensu Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Spiritomb: 156-184 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Oricorio-Sensu Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Spiritomb: 93-111 (30.6 - 36.6%) -- 60.6% chance to 3HKO

Meanwhile Shadow Sneak 2HKOs and Pursuit OHKOs on the switch. Finally, Sucker Punch has a fair chance to OHKO (43.8%) when Ori is at full health if you need to kill it in a pinch such as if tomb has taken prior damage or you have a brain fart and don't switch to tomb straight away.

252+ Atk Spiritomb Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Sensu: 152-182 (52.2 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Sensu: 266-314 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Spiritomb Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Sensu (switching): 306-360 (105.1 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Spiritomb is by no means a dead weight otherwise. It makes a mess of Mespirit and special attackers generally, as well as hitting things like Kingler through their subs with Foul Play.

1525749107492.png
Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 88 SpD / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]

AV Lanturn eats every hit from oricorio while also being able to 2hko back.

+1 252 SpA Oricorio-Sensu Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 140-165 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Haunter @ Spell Tag / Life Orb / Ghostium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Haunter is a solid check to Oricorio-Sensu, outspeeding and OHKOing with Shadow Ball.Even if Oricorio-Sensu has +1 Sp. Def due to Calm Mind, Haunter only needs a slight amount of chip to secure the KO, either from Stealth Rock, Substitute, etc. Even without it, Spell Tag and LO can OHKO depending on rolls, and Ghostium can burst through easily, although you may want to save Never-Ending Nightmare for something else. I added Spell Tag and Ghostium Z as slashes because I've found LO to be near suicidal in conjunction with hazards and Substitute.

If Sensu is behind a sub... idk what to tell you man. you should've brought a better answer.

Anyways, voting time!

Checks:

Taskr's Oricorio-Pom-Pom
Jmash324's Floatzel
Tonda Gossa!'s Aurorus
Darkinium's Haunter

Counters:

Conni's Eelektross
Dr N Gin's AV Spiritomb
ItsxLegendz's Lanturn

(Eelektross was posted as a check but because it can switch in multiple times and grabs momentum each of those time with Volt Switch, I listed it as a counter here.)

Voting closes Friday!

Checks: Aurorus, Floatzel
Counters: Eelektross, Lanturn

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Checks: Aurorus and Pom Pom
Counters:
Won't vote because I posted one but you should vote for me :)
You can still vote, just not for your own submission...

Checks: Aurorus and Oricorio Pom Pom
Counter: mine and Lanturn
...which also means the vote towards your own submission is null. lol

I'll edit the OP with this later, but don't vote for your own submission, and if you truly think yours is the best one in its category, then just vote for one answer while we judge you silently

Conni

katharsis
You can still vote, just not for your own submission...

...which also means the vote towards your own submission is null. lol

I'll edit the OP with this later, but don't vote for your own submission, and if you truly think yours is the best one in its category, then just vote for one answer while we judge you silently
yeah it's just a joke lol, there's only two other submissions aside from mine so that's already my vote

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Winners:

Checks:
Taskr's Oricorio-Pom-Pom,
Tonda Gossa!'s Aurorus,
Jmash324's Floatzel

Counters:
Conni's Eelektross,
Dr N Gin's AV Spiritomb /
ItsxLegendz's Lanturn

As a side note, I'm going to stop tagging people when adding their submission to the archive to avoid inconvenience. However, I'm still going to do so when adding people onto the leaderboard for the first time to let them know that they're on it.

EDIT: Just learned that people are still getting tagged when I update the leaderboard, ugh. I suppose we'll just have to put up with it, unless I stop tagging people for the leaderboard altogether. If I could get some opinions on that, especially from those who are on the leaderboard, that would be nice, thanks.

Time for this week's victim as well!

Skuntank @ Black Sludge / Lum Berry / Black Glasses
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Defog / Pursuit

Submissions will close and voting will begin Tuesday, good luck!

Last edited:

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Toxic

Here's a powerful offensive check to physical Skuntank. Aggron is capable of directly switching into Skunk comfortably and using the opportunity to start breaking walls. Banded Head Smash or Heavy Slam scores an easy OHKO on Skunk, although both will trigger Aftermath upon the KO. Opting for Earthquake over Toxic allows Aggron to avoid Aftermath, and gives it safe coverage vs other threats.

252+ Atk Black Glasses Skuntank Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aggron: 82-97 (29.1 - 34.5%) -- 67.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Conni

katharsis
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Counters this Skuntank set. The most it takes from Skuntank is Crunch, which possibly 5HKOs while Earthquake from Gastrodon 2HKOs Skuntank, meaning it can easily switch into Skuntank and even use Recover if needed allowing it to effectively wall and take out Skuntank with ease.
252 Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 96-114 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 84-99 (19.7 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Skuntank Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 48-57 (11.2 - 13.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 254-302 (73.1 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

1526096038930.png
Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Super Fang
- Play Rough

This mawile set can never die to this certain skuntank set. With leftovers skuntank can never do damage.
-1 252 Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 28-33 (9.2 - 10.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
1526248559429.png
I like turtles
Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic
standard fat costa checks skunk decently, eats 5 shades crunches and 3hko's w/ scald, also can burn
252 Atk Black Glasses Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Carracosta: 76-91 (21.5 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Black Glasses Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Carracosta: 84-100 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Carracosta Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 109-130 (31.3 - 37.3%) -- 85% chance to 3HKO

Not a full on counter bc no recovery /shrug

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
1526344993409.png

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Gurdurr is a solid check, being able to eat all of skuntanks while also setting up or 2hkoing skunk.

192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 153-181 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Skuntank Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 75-88 (20 - 23.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 37-44 (9.8 - 11.7%) -- possible 9HKO
252+ Atk Skuntank Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 82-97 (21.9 - 25.9%) -- 3.6% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 41-48 (10.9 - 12.8%) -- possible 8HKO

(Skunk Stink Stomper) Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spdef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Heavy Slam
- Rest

Hard Counter. Skuntank is doing nothing while this thing is around. Mudsdale can come in all battle on Skunktank and set up rocks while forcing Skunk to suicide if it wants to defog as it is OHKOed by unboosted Earthquake. Less passive than Mawile and Regirock and really forces Skunk to switch every time.

Stamina allows Mudsdale to rest up against Skunk risk-free and has the added bonus of negating any defence drops for Crunch. Cleric support is great but not necessary.

It can even run double Stealth Rock into Stomping Tantrum for extra Skunk Stomp.

252 Atk Black Glasses Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 91-108 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- 23.2% chance to 4HKO.

0 Atk Mudsdale Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 362-428 (104 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO.

Skunk Stink Stomped.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Pinsir @ Lum Berry / Groundium Z / Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Stone Edge

Pinsir is a solid check to Skuntank, always outspeeding it with a Jolly Nature and OHKOing with Earthquake if LO, and doing the same with other items with the help of some chip.

Voting time! We sadly don't have many checks this time around, only 2, but I suppose that that stems from Skuntank... not being the strongest Pokemon. lol

Checks:

Jmash324's Aggron

Darkinium's Pinsir

Counters:

Conni's Gastrodon

ItsxLegendz's Defensive Mawile

Tack :]'s Defensive Carracosta

Abejas's Gurdurr

Dr N Gin's Mudsdale

(Carracosta and Gurdurr were submitted as checks but I listed them as counters because they can switch in multiples times as well as recover lost health.)

Vote for 1 check, 2 counters.

Checks: Aggron
Counters: Gastrodon, Gurdurr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)