Project USUM UU Lure that Threat - On Hold for UUPL

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It's a tie between Smallsmallrose and Scizorphobic, as co-host im breaking the tie and voting Smallsmallrose cause I'd definitely fall for that shit. Congratulations, you will be added to the archive!

This round we're luring Empoleon! This thing has been good in UU for ages b/c steel types and bulky waters have been disgusting for ages. Latias's dominance in UU has kept this thing relevant for quite a while and it's ability to set or remove hazards along with it's high SpDef stat only strengthens it's niche. We are blacklisting elec z Lati, don't do that shit it's too easy.

Lures are due by Wednesday the 30th of January at 11:59 PM GMT -8

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
E8DE5EAC-825C-441B-BC76-05CE33F6ABDF.gif
F279B686-0234-4F02-A803-DCAB7B13EF63.png

Diancie @ Groundium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 184 HP / 236 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind / Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Power Gem

So like 90% of the time when I build with Diancie hastily the team ends up struggling to break Empoleon. Naturally, Diancie typically contributes to this problem due to Rock/Fairy not being great against Steel-types at all. However, with the ground coverage from Earth Power and a more offensive spread, Diancie is capable of removing the penguin itself and help its potential teammates like Moltres and Blastoise not running Aura Sphere. The speed investment let's you outpace uninvested base 60's such as Empoleon and Sylveon and beat them 1 on 1 mainly in sylveon's case of wish spamming. Also, the Hp investment is enough to still eat an Earthquake from Krookodile.

+1 236+ SpA Diancie Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 392-462 (105.3 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 236+ SpA Diancie Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 322-379 (93.8 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you need Stealth Rocks on Diancie, Max Hp and Spa is fine too since you still smack steels with the unexpected Z-Move. Credit to Twilight for the fancy Evs.

Last edited:

Hydreigon @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Cool tech on this mon, does a pretty good job at luring Empoleon considering it safely switches into every other Hydreigon set. It doesn't quite OHKO, but it does after slight damage, including Dark Pulse (be wary of Protect however, you'll be forced to hit a Focus Blast if they Protect on the Z-Move). It also hits other Steel-types like Cobalion and Bisharp that aren't really phased by anything other than Fire Blast.

252 SpA Hydreigon All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 306-362 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 97-115 (26 - 30.9%) -- 6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
celebi.gif

Celebi @ Groundium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

The psychium set is a lot common more these days thats why this is a good lure. Not only a good lure but it is also a really
good steel breaker since since a few steel types has risen.
At +2 groundium z celebi can ohko all of the fkin steel types in the tier, that's insanely impressive:psyduck:
+2 252 SpA Celebi Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 482-568 (129.5 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Celebi Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 396-466 (115.1 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO+2 252 SpA +2 252 SpA Celebi Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 326-384 (95 - 111.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Celebi Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Slowbro @ Electrium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Zap Cannon
- Toxic / Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Get your bitch a Z-Zap Cannon. So Empoleon mostly doesn’t give a shit about most Slowbro sets as it either Poisons or Roars out the Calm Mind sets. The Zap Cannon now comes into play as it cripples Empoleon immensly for your teammates. Despite its damage output not being too great, Empoleon’s lack of recovery plays into this really well as it prevents it from reliably switching into any other attacks throughout the match and hinders its role as a setter/removal.

4 SpA Slowbro Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 208-246 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reactions: TMM

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
1548405618245.png

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Rest
- Sticky Web
- Spider Web

This araquanid uses spider web in order to block and kill any empoleon who may come in on it to try and defog and/or toxic it, after which it can start doing damage,

252+ Atk Splash Plate Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 126-148 (33.8 - 39.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

(grassy terrain was put in to simulate the empoleon protecting every other turn).

After 5 turns of toxic you would be forced to rest, but you would still eventually win the war with the empoleon, allowing you to potentially keep sticky web up for the whole match if it was the only hazard removal on enemy team. In the end if resting at correct moments you would have killed empoleon, keep your webs up and have near max hp. Note that liquidation only has 16 pp, but as shown below,

If you did 3 liquidations while toxic'd, (+3 more that were protected against) you will have done 65.4 to 83.1 % damage, after 3 turns of rest this will be 47.4 - 65.1 %, repeating 3 more liquidations (+3 protects) would have you at 94.8 - 110.2%, essentially you will have liquidation pp leftover even if you don't try to predict protects. With a good chance of having used only maximum 12 of them.

Last edited:
Empoleon @ Leftovers / Groundium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Defog / Stealth Rocks
- Toxic / Protect / Roar

0 Atk Empoleon Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 234-276 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Empoleon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 130-154 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- 71.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

This will really make someone crap themselves ( I know someone who knows from experience). This'll teach them to try and defog on Empoleon.

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere

Togekiss can lure a lot of Steel types thanks to Nasty Plot and its great Movepool which includes options such as Flamethrower and Aura Sphere.
The EVs spread isn't specific for Empoleon but for to ensure the OHKO on Aggron-Mega with All-Out Pummeling after a Nasty Plot. However it also does the job vs Empoleon so I didn't think I should change it.

+2 32 SpA Togekiss All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 418-494 (112.3 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
Vote for your favourite Empoleon lure from the ones below here. We didn’t include Groudium Z Celebi because Empoleon is not a switch-in to Celebi in general, so it wouldn’t be lured in by Celebi and weakened by Groundium Z.

Diancie @ Groundium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 184 HP / 236 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind / Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
Hydreigon @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Focus Blast
Slowbro @ Electrium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Zap Cannon
- Toxic / Ice Beam
- Slack Off
Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Rest
- Sticky Web
- Spider Web
Empoleon @ Leftovers / Groundium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Defog / Stealth Rocks
- Toxic / Protect / Roar
Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
Voting ends Sunday 3rd February. Good luck!

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Diancie and empoelon are only ones I would actually fall for honestly, fightinium-z togekiss is common enough and standard stallbreaker would beat you anyway, if i knew hydreigon was taunt i'd not try it either unless i had already toxic'd it (and someone trying to fight empo with their hydreigon would kinda suggest specs / supereffective z-move anyway), and would never stay in vs slowbro expecting block, as i'm just set up fodder.

Since I wouldn't expect to be able to touch empo myself either except for a potential scald burn, my vote goes to diancie.

Togekiss and Hydreigon are too simple and I’d scout Taunt Roost Hydreigon anyway so I’m placing my vote towards Diancie. Overall a cool lure to bring in those fat Steels.

voting for diancie

I feel like hydreigon might have more overall usefulness but as many already run fire blast or focus blast, steels won't easily be lured

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)