SM UU USUM UU Volt-turn Bulky Offense

I made this team using what I know of UU and the fact that I love BO and volt-turn teams. These descriptions are slightly bare-bonesy, if only because of my minimal experience in UU as well as not having used this team enough.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Hydreigon is one of the most popular scarfers in the tier, and for good reason. Powerful STAB moves, great coverage in fire blast, respectable bulk, and ability to gain momentum via U-turn make it a highly consistent lead, excellent revenge killer, and speed control. With manectric, it forms an incredibly fast volt-turn core that can gain incredible momentum and wear down many opponents.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Manectric is an incredible offensive pivot and mixed-attacker, with it's pseudo bolt-beam coverage (the "bolt" part receiving STAB) and overheat providing it absolutely phenomenal coverage. Manectric is fast enough to serve as a secondary speed control next to scarf hydreigon, whom as stated previously forms an excellent speedy volt-turn core with, and intimidate allows it to cripple of physical threats that scizor might not be able to handle.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

Scizor is a pivotal member of the team, being the physically defensive pivot and sole hazard control. It's slow U-turns ensure other team members can get in safely, particularly primarina. Bullet punch is also the team's sole priority, and still hits decently hard even without investment, but isn't exactly going to be busting through walls anytime soon.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Many gliscors in UU run standard defensive sets, which are no doubt useful, but many defensive/stall teams absolutely despise going up against swords dance stallbreaker gliscor. After a swords dance, facade and earthquake do tremendous damage, with little that can reliably wall it. With great physdef, an immunity to status, 1/8th health recovery every turn, and reliable recovery, it's also very difficult to wear down and can't be crippled by burns. Gliscor can be fairly easily revenge-killed, however, by scarfed special attackers, and doesn't do too much work against more offensive teams.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Primarina is our second choiced pokemon and a powerful special wallbreaker that can threaten many cores with great coverage and excellent dual-stab. Hydro Pump and Moonblast are the obvious dual-STABs, whereas HP electric hits mantine and volcanion (common primarina switch-ins) hard and psychic takes care of tentacruel. All that said, it's slow speed is somewhat problematic, as though it's excellent defensive typing let it come in on many attacks, it will likely be hit before getting a chance to hit, making it fairly easy to wear down or revenge-kill, so getting it in safely via volt-turn is crucial.

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion is an excellent offensive rocker, able to set up rocks easily thanks to it's high speed and great defense. It can also break through a fair few mons after a swords dance thanks to Steelium-Z, which is used over Fightinium-Z due to the ability to threaten gliscor and azumarill. Unfortunately there's no room for volt switch on this set, but a fourth volt-turner would be a tad redundant.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey! Fairly standard voltturn offense you have here, but I still think it could be better n_n. Bulky Defog Scizor is generally pretty meh on anything other than really bulky builds because it's just too passive, it doesn't have any offensive presence, and on a team like this I think having an offensive presence is pretty important. Oh, and btw your Scizor has Swarm... you should prolly make that Technician haha. Anyways, lets see what I can do for you :].

- Changing Primarina -> Togekiss is prolly the most major change I'm doing. I'm doing this for several reasons. The stall matchup, and most importantly it lets you use Choice Band on Scizor w/o brainlessly stacking Choice items (I tend to dislike having more than 2). I'm going with Fightium Z to lure shit like Staka and maybe catch some Manectrics because when Gliscor is your only ground type, you tend to have a bad matchup vs those pokemon. Staka just tears up offensive teams in general u_u, so Fight Z made a lot of sense, it can still break stall just fine n_n.
Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

- Aight so with me planning on making Scizor into a Band set (which lacks Defog). I wanted to cop a fogger with a decent matchup vs shit like Scizor, since the Scizor matchup is pretty shaky in general. So I decided to replace Cobalion for the heatman. Rotom-Heat seemed to make the most sense, it can lure Swampert/Rhyperior with HP Grass and make Mega Manectric's job easier, while checking Scizor, Moltres, and keeping hazards off the field. Rotom-Heat also has Volt Switch to fit the voltturn theme owo.
Rotom-Heat @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Grass]

- Basically just changing this from Defog Scizor -> CB Scizor. CB Scizor + Mega Manectric is an amazing and common core that is used on a lot of voltturns. It gives Pursuit support for Lati, chips Pert and Hippo w/ U-Turn, pressures fairies, etc. It's just a great core and is significantly better than Defog Scizor on voltturn teams n_n. The spread basically creeps Klefki while hitting max Atk and dumps the rest into Hp.
Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

- Obviously with Cobalion gone, we need a rocker and we have a great one in Gliscor right there. So I just simply made Gliscor rocks set > SD set. I went ahead and crept Lucario because if you encounter one it might be difficult to deal with. Nothing too special :].
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Rotom-Heat @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Grass]

^^ Paste of the team. Lmk if you need help, just hmu on Smogon or PS and I'll always be down n_n. Voltturn is great because it's easy to build and play, you did a fine job. I think this version of the team is just a little more polished and complete, lmk what you think and how it goes!!

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, I really like the approach you had to this team; in fact, I have a team that is pretty similar to this! In any case, I have a few changes that might help the team be more efficient!
  • From experience, I know that this kind of build struggles to break Hippowdon. Yeah, there is a Primarina, but the rest of the members just lose to Hippowdon with little support. I changed Serperior > Cobalion to help patch that up. Serperior is holding an Assault Vest because that set helps Serperior beat Pokemon that are threatening to the team, such as Mega Manectric and Latias.
  • Because you lost your Stealth Rock setter and your Z-move user, I decided to change Swampert > Gliscor. Swampert is holding Icium Z, which in conjunction with Ice Punch and some attack investment, help lure in Dragon-type threats, such as Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Altaria. That really helps Mega Manectric do its job easily.
  • You don't have a win condition now, so I changed the Scizor set to Swords Dance > Defog. The Scizor set is Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, Bug Bite, and Roost, which helps it overcome Hippowdon and just help it remain on longevity better. This also helps with revenge killing Mega Altaria.
  • Now that there's no hazard control, I changed Defog > Fire Blast on Hydreigon, which acts as a panic Defog user and should be only used in emergencies. The matchup against Steel-types isn't that bad anyway, so the need for Fire Blast isn't bad.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Swampert @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Ice Punch

Primarina @ Choice Specs
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Serperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

I hope that the rate helped you, let me know if there are any questions!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm feeling Misa's build a bit more, as it's got a fair bit more offensive presence, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Swampert without leftovers. It's like deo-a without focus sash, it benefits majorly from it and is practically married to that item in most sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)