[UU Beta] - A Touch of Surprise

So a few days ago I felt like making a UU team for the beta and this is what I came up with. One thing I went for in this team was a bit of the element of surprise and trying to control the battle. I tried to keep my team nice and balance with having a good amount of power but also balancing it out with some defensive and tricky pokemon. I'm currently at 12 win 1 lose, ya I know not a ton of battles :P, with a GXE at 74 but I feel it still can make this team even more powerful. So anyways here is the team I'm currently running.

Mega Manectric

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This is the mega that I use on my team and it works nicely on my team. I use mega manectirc mainly as a scout, with its 135 base speed getting up to 405 speed it is able to out speed almost every thing in the meta game that is not scarfed. This allows for a quick volt switch to see what they will do and also packs a good punch to it with is 135 SpAtk. Thunderbolt and flamethrower are its two main attacks outside of volt switch being able to hurt a large number of pokemon in the tier. HP ice I added for a bit to deal with some of the flying and dragon pokemon that are floating around in the tier.

Deoxys-Defense

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
Deoxys-D is one of two go to starters I have. It's goal is pretty simple, set up SR and spikes. If it lives I will either go for a seismic toss or para a few pokemon. With this being said I do not always use it as my starter and some times will use it mid through game depending on where I feel it has best chance to set up its traps. I use Thunder Wave instead of magic coat because I feel its more useful but I have not to sure if I should use magic coat instead.

Mr. Ducky(Porygon2)

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Porygon2 is one of my favorite pokemon and is normaly in almost all teams I make, and for a good reason. This is one defensive duck reaching 390 Def and 405 SDef after eviolite boost. To just show its bulk here are some damage calcs for it.

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword: 168-200 (44.9 - 53.4%) -- 35.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Scolipede Megahorn: 109-129 (29.1 - 34.4%) -- 4.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Focus Blast: 148-176 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Its main threat is fighting moves but otherwise can take most other hits very easily. I use discharge to try and get a para and ice to take for coverage. Toxic is used to hurt some more defensive pokemon that it can not hurt otherwise while recover is there to recover. One thing also to look at is it's ability trace. This allows it to get some of the best abilities in the game like speed boost and magic guard. If used correctly it can really mess up the other player when they do not think about it having trace trowing many people off gaurd.

*Made before ban, Will change this*
Thundurus-Therian

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
And here is probably the most powerful pokemon I have on my team, Thundurus-T. This thing is just a pure power house, If I am able to get a nasty plot off it can OHKO so much of the meta game.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 367-434 (98.1 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 294-348 (97.3 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 577-681 (142.8 - 168.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nothing much to say seeing as its a standard set. Thunderbolt for a stab move, focus blast and HP ice for coverage. Also nasty plot for boost its power up by so much.

Machamp

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
The next pokemon is my other lead pokemon that I use, Machamp. I use him as a suicide lead a lot of times and am normaly able to take out 1 or two pokemon and severely hurting another one. With the combo of dynamic punch and no guard this thing gets one of the best fighting moves with perfect acc. The confusion is very useful because it detures people from switching allowing you to control the battle from the start. Knock off has the same effect because it is a pain to have to lose an item. Knock off adds an interesting twist to because its a great move to use against someone who wants to switch into a ghost predicting a dynamic punch. Ice punch is used to once again for coverage and bullet punch to take out a pokemon that is almost knocked out. I choose to use lum berry because I notice a lot of people try burring machamp which gives Machamp a free hit. Also a little side note, I put him in this position because the other player will a lot of times guess I will lead with Deoxys-D or Mega Manectirc throwing them off guard allowing me to take advantage of the momentum I gain from this.

Latias

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick​

This set might sound a bit weird but its my ace in the hole. Trick allows me to break boosting pokemon and tanks that I would otherwise have issues dealing with. Also if I choose to keep the choice scarf it makes for a mean revenge killer and even if lose the choice scarf it still has enough speed to outspeed a lot of the meta game. Draco meteor and Psyshock are there as its primary stab and surf for coverage.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

Issues

So far I haven't had to many issues but there is still some that I notice. Some of these is I noticed I did not have any real count to some of the bulky water ground pokemon like Gastrodon and Swampert. Another thing I'm finding issues dealing with is Thundurus-T, that thing is such a beast and even though I have it on my team I find it kind of hard to deal with when I have to face it, probably why almost all my pokemon have an ice move. Other wise I have not found much other issues but I would love to hear from you guys to let me know if you can think of one that will hurt my team.

So ya that is about it. Hope you guys can give me some suggestions and some new ideas I can incorporate into my team. :D

Last edited:
I do not have much to use against fire types making surf nice to have. Also hp fire really is not to grand in uu it seems to me. Only pokemon that has 4x weakness is Abomasnow and he isn't even that common. Psyschock does 127.5 damage with stab and draco metor with 180 damage making the most hp fire can do of 120 not seem to important in my opinion.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very nice team, Tuter King. One thing I kinda see is a pretty severe fairy weakness. This ain't much in UU, except you need to fear Megagardevoir (and moonblasts from Florges/ Whimsicott). I gtg, but I'll edit my post some time later (idk if I have time today)

sorry it took so long for me to edit this post, but I do like SwampertGuru's suggestion of Cobalion over Thundurus-T, as thundy unfortunately got the ban. However, I would suggest not using Stone Edge, and instead using Substitute, along with Leftovers. Rock is always nice coverage, yes, but I believe your team would do fine without it. Substitute is also good as a more permanent status retardant.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
252atk/252speed/4wherever
Jolly (while you have base 108 speed, might as well use it to the fullest)
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Sub
- Swords Dance
I've used this a couple of times, and while it's not too hard to wall, it's not meant for early game, but probably more mid game so it can SD up and sweep without it's counters like Chandy or whatever.

and Torn-T is really nice for your team, but I'd think about either Guru's set with Assault Vest or a completely different itemless set that abuses Acrobatics (which I've had mild success with) max speed and attack, Superpower/Knock Off/Acrobatics/U-turn. But Grass Knot does seem necessary imo.

These two pokes are good to replace thundurus-T and Machamp, imo. So I supose I'm seconding SwampertGuru to the fullest (/shrug)

As for your latias, a good team needs a good scarfer currently in this meta, and I do think latias is possibly skillful scarfed, but I think an LO Latias set would be better in general, since your team, since you have some nice bulk and some nice natural speed. same set, just with Roost over Trick. Or you could replace latias with Scarf Keldeo. Scarf Keldeo I believe is very capable a scarfer, with HydroPump/SecretSword/IcyWind/HPGhost, and it doesn't compound too much on your weaknesses I believe.

But Verrry well built team in my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Cool team! Just a few nitpicks...
1. Hp grass over hp ice on manectric. Youre more likely to have swampert quagsire and rhyperior switch predicting the hp ice. Hp grass ohko swampy and quagsire and 2hko rhyperior.
2.bisharp threats every team and yours is no different unfortunately. If machamp bites the dust youre at the mercy of bisharp and its knockoff sucker punch shenanigans. Even manectric must be careful with intimidate otherwise youll give bisharp an atk boost.
3. I think choice specs would fare better on latias. The last thing you want is creating a superfast bisharp that cant be checked...

Other than that you have a good team but keep in mind you have no defogger, spinner or wish support so your team will be worn down quickly with hazards.

Alright so Thundy-t recently (as in yesterday) got the ban so obviously you're going to have to change out the one you have on your team. Might I suggest Cobalion? He is similarly a powerful and fast set-up sweeper, and by adding him Bisharp practically becomes a non-issue.

Cobalion @ Lum Berry/Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Lum Berry is because para and burns can be a serious problem for Cobalion and completely eliminate his sweeping potential, and Life Orb is there if status isn't a issue for you and for that extra bit of power. Leftovers is also an excellent option, but since your Thundy-t had LO I thought that the LO would fit your team better.

By adding Cobalion, this does unfortunatly does add a greater weakness to fighting and ground, so might I suggest replacing Machamp with Tornadus-t? Torn-t keeps Knock Off utility and can add momentum through U-turn, and with Expert Belt or LO and Regenerator it can do good damage while still retaining it's health. Not to mention it can use Grass Knot to take care of those pesky 4x weak mons that give your team trouble.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 Spd / 252 SAtk / 8 Atk
Mild Nature
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot

You can change the speed to whatever you need to outspeed and then invest the rest in HP. 248 outspeeds positive base 105s, 204 outspeeds positive base 100s, etc. Just use http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/stat/speed.shtml to see what you need to outspeed.

If those 4x Grass weak mons are still a big problem after these changes, then you should change Hidden Power Ice to Hidden Power Grass on M-Manectic, but I think that HP Ice is still by far the best choice.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)