UU UU Classic V - Playoffs [Won by LpZ]

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

shoutouts to HotFuzzBall for the banner
Welcome to the fifth DPP UU Cup!

Information about the UU Classic can be found here.

UnderUsed Classic V Playoffs

~~~​
Welcome to the Playoffs of the Smogon UnderUsed Classic IV, where the top 16 players from our six UU Cups will duke it out for glory, bragging rights, and UU Circuit points.

Each series will be best of five with the higher seed choosing which one of the UU Classics tiers is played first. The remaining games will use the standard "loser picks next" deciding order. Tiebreakers will follow the same process except they will be best of three.

The final standings after our six UU Cups concluded are as follows:

1. - zben - 25 points
2. - Pak - 23 points
3. - pokemonisfun - 22 points (75% WR)
4. - esche - 22 points (73% WR)
5. - robjr - 19 points
6. - LpZ - 18 points
7. - fatty - 17 points
8. - Xiri - 16 points (69% WR)
9. - Bouff - 16 points (67% WR)
10. - Pohjis - 15 points (79% WR)
11. - Shiba - 15 points (67% WR)
12. - Spl4sh - 12 points (63% WR)
13. - Highways - 12 points (63% WR)
14. - crucify - 12 points (62% WR)
15. - Estarossa - 12 points (57% WR)
16. - TSR - 10 points

Win percentage in the UU Classic cups was used to break seeding ties as no qualifications were at stake. Spl4sh and Highways agreed to a coinflip to decide their seeding due to identical Win percentages and points distributions.

1630134289404.png

The round 1 matchups are the following:

[1] zben vs TSR [16]
[2] Pak vs Estarossa [15]
[3] pokemonisfun vs crucify [14]
[4] esche vs Highways [13]
[5] robjr vs Spl4sh [12]
[6] LpZ vs Shiba [11]
[7] fatty vs Pohjis [10]
[8] Xiri vs Bouff [9]

Round 2 matchups:

Round 2

[9] Bouff vs TSR [16]
[2] Pak vs fatty [7]
[6] LpZ vs crucify [14]
[5] robjr vs Highways [13]

Semifinals matchups:

Semifinals

[5] robjr vs Bouff [9]
[6] LpZ vs fatty [7]

Finals matchup:

Finals

[5] robjr vs LpZ [6]

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • More information about UU Classic V can be found here - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-underused-classic-v.3686507/
  • Standard GSC, ADV, DPP, BW, ORAS, and USM UU
  • Baton Pass rules will follow previous cups, which follow the PS implementation. Check out the cups and the Classic Hub thread for the exact rules.
  • Best of five, single elimination. Higher seed picks first game.
  • Battles should take place on Pokemon Showdown!
  • Do not make baseless activity posts, get in contact with your opponent and report missed times / scheduling issues only.
  • Standard clauses apply.
  • All the usual Smogon rules regarding activity, timer, disconnection, and ghosting rules apply.
GSC - unrestricted
ADV - fully banned
DPP - limited to one user, who cannot pass Speed + another stat.
BW - limited to one user, who cannot pass Speed + another stat.
ORAS - fully banned
SM - fully banned
Please post replays, and let us know when you're playing. Good luck to all participants! The Round 1 deadline is Sunday 5th September at 11:59pm GMT-4.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
The OP clearly states that BP rules are in line with PS implementation, which means you could easily check in the builder the legality of these, the main hub thread also lists all of the rules not just the individual cups. BP is like fully banned across ORAS/SM as a whole so its obvious why they aren't listed for those, similarly GSC is unrestricted.

I'll edit these into the OP anyway for convenience since you asked - this can be found underneath the tournament rules.

-----

Also wanted to take this opportunity to thank Reeece, Maple, LNumbers, Highways, and Juno for hosting the individual cups for the tour alongside me, and Expulso for help with the points sheet!

Make sure to all post your predicts :)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
The OP clearly states that BP rules are in line with PS implementation, which means you could easily check in the builder the legality of these, the main hub thread also lists all of the rules not just the individual cups. BP is like fully banned across ORAS/SM as a whole so its obvious why they aren't listed for those, similarly GSC is unrestricted.

I'll edit these into the OP anyway for convenience since you asked.

-----

Also wanted to take this opportunity to thank Reeece, Maple, LNumbers, Highways, and Juno for hosting the individual cups for the tour alongside me, and Expulso for help with the points sheet!

Make sure to all post your predicts :)
Thanks. I hope you're not overly defensive. I appreciate all the people who contribute to Smogon.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rooting for friends :>
[1] zben vs TSR [16]
[5] robjr vs Spl4sh [12]
[6] LpZ vs Shiba [11]
[7] fatty vs Pohjis [10]
[8] Xiri vs Bouff [9]​

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
[1] zben (chaotic neutral) vs TSR (lawful neutral) [16] - 65% chance Zben wins. He curiously became the top seed by an impressive 25 points without winning a cup. Frankly, I’d rather be 16th seed and win a cup than 1st seed and not win a cup but you can’t deny he’s been successful in all tier. Both of these players I’ve known for many years, I think their experience means they shouldn’t be nervous. I think Zben is best in gen7 and gen6 and TSR is best in gen4 and likely others.

[2] Pak (neutral good) vs Estarossa [15] - 70% chance Pak wins. Pak is the silent but strong type and Estarossa oscillates between lawful good (maybe that’s because I interact with him in his role of a UU auth) and chaotic evil (he frankly doesn’t deal with losing well). Obviously both players have their pet gens- gen6 for Pak and gen2 for Estarossa. I have a feeling Pak is more motivated though, he has tasted winning before in plenty of tours like UUPL. Esta works hard when prepping but so does Pak. I fee like Esta’s motivation levels won’t be as high since he usually dismisses his losses to hax/bad MU anyways (which of course is sometimes true but doesn’t do much to motivate imo).

[4] esche (neutral good) vs Highways (chaotic good) [13] - 55% chance Highways wins. Both of these players are what I consider “professional” as in, they are unfailingly polite, motivated and strong. Tbh I wish more people behaved like them and less like me. I’m not sure which tiers Highways specializes in although I know he did well in ADV UUFPL in part by beating me. Esche afaik seems to be more comfortable in gen4, gen5, and gen6. I predict for Highways still because I know he’s extremely thirsty to win, he’s basically been trying to qualify for every single UU circuit tour for the past 2 years which impressed me.

[5] robjr (neutral good) vs Spl4sh [12] - 70% chance Rob wins. Just like Esche and Highways, rob is another professional killer but with an even greater consistency, maybe more so than anyone here. Actually, I’ve never considered his ceiling to be high for a top player but I think for round 1 and in a best of 5, his consistency will payoff. Also rob won gen2 cup. Splash...I still don’t know which splash is which. I like and think both of them are strong but I won’t say more until I know who this is.

[6] LpZ (chaotic neutral) vs Shiba (chaotic neutral) [11] - 55% chance Shiba wins. This is a close one for sure, Shiba is a self proclaimed boomer and they tend to do well in this boomer tournament. I think he specializes in gen3 but mained in gen6 too. LpZ I consider a gen4 player since he gave me a rather thrilling game last year and he also beat me in a different tier this year. He's probably the most underestimated p.erson in this tournament as he doesn't have a long history unlike all these boomers. I'm guessing Shiba has a bigger support group but if that's not true, then LpZ should be favored.

[7] fatty (neutral good) vs Pohjis [10] - 60% chance fatty wins. fatty is someone I consider like pak- silent but strong, particularly in gen3 where he beat me this year and won the cup. Pohjis I'm glad is in this tournament because I don't know much about them apart from seeing a rather long list of circuit tour ribbons in their profile. I've known fatty to be active since gen5 was the main tier which is why I give an edge to him.

[8] Xiri (neutral good) vs Bouff (chaotic good) [9] - 55% chance Xiri wins, normally I'd predict the more active UU member over the one who isn't but Xiri is extremely strong, winning what I think is the hardest cup, gen7. He also beat ramolost in UULT last year. Bouff's personality I always saw as a combination of Estarossa (takes losses poorly), Shiba (confident but doesn't take himself too seriously), and some generic nice person (Laevin maybe? he's nice). He's very strong. But I've never known him to have a super high ceiling like Xiri does and I don't think there's a big difference in consistency.​

Highly uninformed in fact
completely random (almost) predictions

[1] zben vs TSR [16]
[5] robjr vs Spl4sh [12]
[6] LpZ vs Shiba [11]
[7] fatty vs Pohjis [10]
[8] Xiri vs Bouff [9]

I didn't even know that so many of these players were involved in so many different underused formats and before 2 months ago I wasn't even aware that there was a UU classic. I think pif and esche have huge potential to take the title but all these players are likely forces to be reckoned with.

generic comments are over
gimme likes​

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Well played crucify

Shout outs to the following players who's teams I used:
I will happily spectate you guys now! Have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)