Metagame UU Crown Tundra Speculation (SPOILERS!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
isnt scarf kart spamming knock/ SD clamming kills/ CB kart being stupidly strong not enough, i dont think there is much of a switch in. no mon likes getting their item removed, nor can pokemon stand up to SD

I highly doubt that kartana will drop (bulu and rillaboom) and blaceph will surely stay OU the only thing that has a chance of dropping is salamance which defo wont stay.
Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 9.18.55 AM.png

Heres my own tier list that I quickly made, Out of it I dont think Moltres, Latias, Victini, Fini, Volcanion, Buzzwole (until zygarde gets banned) will drop but other than that I feel like most of the placements are pretty self explainable but I could be wrong about some. Excited the most for Stakaka tr and boots archeops and banded tyrantrum the most.

isnt tapu fini such a good fogger, it also can soft check urshifu, rapid, and drei to an extent. I feel like rillaboom or bulu will drop due to them fufilling similar roles and if one of them does it better the other one will surely drop. Articuno may be way better on stall due to boots and no sciz as of rn

Notily

dirt rich
predix:

my-image (1).png

i dont see victini dropping as a lot of the mechanics / deleted moves seem to work in its favour. trick being unblockable now makes scarf sets more annoying and no pursuit makes v-create harder to punish, + boots sets blah blah blah. that being said i know jack shit about ou so maybe it'll drop

i cant see a world where lati is balanced in this tier. new coverage options + no pursuit + its speed tier being even more valuable just screams broken to me. torn's only counter is hurricane misses, i feel like it really doesnt even need other special coverage cause most of our flying resists are sucky. it can probably run dumb sets like np / cane / superpower / knock and just abuse its speed tier until everything is in +2 cane range and then u pray u hit. cool mon. buzzwole was broken as hell in gen7 and i dont see any reason why it wouldn't be in gen8 other than like weezing maybe? idk

i think suicune has the potential to really warp the tier, mainly because it uses most of the water resists people like as setup fodder (looking at the slowbrothers). it has a good to decent matchup vs a lot of the other new mons and its dropping with likely 3 new tspikes setters. granted that means there'll also be 3 new tspikes absorbers so maybe this isnt as big a deal as i think. it also lost pursuit support this gen so maybe winning with it in longer games will be more difficult than i think. expecting all the water immunities to get a lot better, toxicroak being viable again will be cool

other shit i think will be interesting:
azelf - pursuit being gone makes this thing a hell of a lot better. in gen7 any set that wasnt sash lead (or adrenaline orb ig) maybe killed one thing and then got pursuit trapped so it was really hard to justify using. its speed tier is amazing in this tier and it has plenty of versatility between cb / np / scarf / lead + a lot of good coverage and support options, and teleport exists now so its way easier to get it on the field. should be real fun to use

trick room - cress, uxie and staka dropping gives the playstyle way more options for setters. marowak will likely still be around to click buttons with tr up and i think theres some underexplored options for other tr abusers like sd bewear / panda. can't wait to have another form of cheese to lose to at preview

various shitmons: aurorus returning means cynde will build some cancerous veil team that'll dominate the ladder for a week, as if cheese wasnt already annoying as it stands rn. boots archeops will be fun but i think it'll still need a good amount of support to work well, though it very well could be better than im giving it credit for. articuno will probably get some use on stall teams but i think stall will still continue to be not great. guzzlord will be ass but it counters the teacup so someone will nom it to c-, causing unbadged users to come out in droves to uphold the integrity of the great c rank of the smogon underused viability rankings. godspeed kings

my-image (2).png

Final Predictions before DLC drops in 3 days. most of the stuff here is pretty obvious, though i will explain my S ranks.
Buzzwole will by a great physical wall and while he may be very good, flying types have become better this gen thanks to heavy duty boots, meaning buzzwole may be balanced out by the flyers. Tapu Fini and Volcanion are mons I am unsure will even drop, but if they do they might be either too much or very good, not too much to say about them. Celesteela will be very good and it even gets cosmic power, so it will be fantastic. lastly, i personally think torn-i will be fine but i can see it being broken or suspected. Nothing much left so say, excited for DLC 2, we get all these new mons plus many old OU mons to use. I'll be hectic, but it'll balance out and we will be left with an altered, cooler metagame. Also, unban lycanroc-dusk and weavile when dlc 2 drops, both look to be fine. Maybe at least retest them alongside gyarados, diggersby, durant, and primarina if we get it back from OU.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, with all the new moves and such confirmed, hiw we feeling? I think Pokémon like Celesteela are a sure bet, and with how move distribution is working, there may even be a SLIGHT chance we get Tapu Bulu! Take that info however you like!

I’m liking Regielecki, wish they gave it something like Dazzling Gleam or Energy Ball but if it got those it might be solidly OU. I’m thinking it probably doesn’t really have much more options than a Choice Specs set with Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Ancient Power, and Extreme Speed to beat out another priority user. I’m not super adept at battling but I don’t see much other option given it’s paltry movepool. But 200 speed with decent attacking stats is pretty solid regardless. I don’t know if it would be best to go with full speed or add some bulk or more EVs in each attacking stat without looking at Calcs of common scarfers.

sorry if this is super Noob, just my first impression.

How's Regieleki looking? 200 speed is absolutely ridiculous tier but it also has...literally 0 coverage.
Personally I'd say Regieleki is basically just a slightly better Electrode. That is to say, not very good. The lack of coverage really hurts it, and you could run itemless Acro so you aren't completely walled by Grass-types, but then that means you have to run Wild Charge as your STAB and that's not very practical now is it? E-Speed is quite nice though.

Regieleki
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch

Regieleki
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Thunderbolt
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch

Purely physical set (+ Volt Switch of course) and mixed set. Neither of these look very good but hey its the best I can work with.

Last edited:
Personally I'd say Regieleki is basically just a slightly better Electrode. That is to say, not very good. The lack of coverage really hurts it, and you could run itemless Acro so you aren't completely walled by Grass-types, but then that means you have to run Wild Charge as your STAB and that's not very practical now is it? E-Speed is quite nice though.

Regieleki
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch

Regieleki
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Thunderbolt
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch

Purely physical set (+ Volt Switch of course) and mixed set. Neither of these look very good but hey its the best I can work with.
I doubt you need max speed, it outruns everything in uu with neutral nature and 0 speed EVs, maybe put some in for common scares but most of your EVs should go into spa for volt switch or HP

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Regieleki
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch

Regieleki
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Thunderbolt
- Extreme Speed
- Volt Switch

You need like 216 EVs neutral nature to outspeed Scarf Genesect, and this guy hits a lot harder than expected (for reference, Modest Boots TBolt soundly 2HKOes offensive Magearna). Eleki is super, super linear but basically 6-0s offense once the Ground is removed. It can also lure Grounds with Explosion, I guess. Grasses just get chipped hard with Volt Switch. Can't see this going lower than RUBL

The set:
Regieleki @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion / Body Slam (both """lure""" grounds in the lamest way possible)
- Rapid Spin / Extreme Speed

Slowking-G is likely going to replace Slowbro-G, I feel. Similar special bulk uninvested to Glowbro invested letting it invest in special attack for an Assault Vest set. Having much higher special attack as well.

Good stuff, can’t wait.

Yeah, Glowking’s impending arrival definitely had some interesting implications for Glowbro. With its stats, G. King is both overall bulkier than G. Bro and has higher SpA, meaning that it’s simply a more consistent choice than Glowbro. So, what’s to become of Glowbro? Well, it’ll probably just drop off again, in which case it’ll do what it’s done so far. But as for UU- and just hear me out-

Physical Glowbro
Now, is this a gimmick? Oh, definitely. But one of Glowbro's roles is already a gimmick anyways, so why not just spitball some dumb ideas? Now, physical Glowbro has been largely ignored because it simply has a better special movepool and Nasty Plot is a superior boosting move to Belly Drum or Curse, the only boosting it gets on the physical side. But that's not to say its physical side is complete garbage. Here are just a few dumb sets I came up with (note: okispokis has not actually tested any of these sets yet. Both sets also probably have more optimal EVs than what I gave, but I'm just giving a basic idea of each set.)

BestVest (G. Slowbro) w/Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/252 Att/ 4 SpD; Brave/Adamant
-Shell Side Arm/Poison Jab
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Drain Punch/Liquidation/Ice Punch

Here, we start off simple with a physical variant of its current AV set. Since Glowking will have AV Special attacker locked down, here we lean into physical- for STABs we have Zen Headbutt and either Shell Side Arm or Poison Jab depending on whether you want more power or a higher poison chance; you may want to use Brave nature if using SSA to potentially slip by physical walls, but if you're Jab you're free to go Adamant. Earthquake is good coverage against any pesky Steels, and with your last slot you can either go Drain Punch for extra recovery or Liquidation/Ice Punch to hit Ground types on the switch. EVs are simple, with the 4 in SpD to complement AV.

Pure Cheese (G. Slowbro) w/Sitrus Berry
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 252 HP/252 Att/4 Def; Adamant
-Belly Drum
-Shell Side Arm
-Earthquake
-Substitute/Zen Headbutt/Slack Off

With this set, we go all in on the idiocy of the Quick Draw set, finding a time to set up Drum and just hoping you get to spam SSA and EQ to your heart's content. Substitute provides some security in set-up, Zen Headbutt if you want another STAB, and Slack Off lets you recover if your opponent can't threaten you too easily. EVs to hopefully live at least one strong physical hit, and we're not even bothering with special SSA this time. This is probably unviable, but I find it hilarious so I'm gonna post anyways maybe it can do something late-game?

Still, Glowbro's probably not lasting too much longer in a serious capacity.

Regieleki @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Rising Voltage
- Thunderbolt / Thunder Cage
- Explosion

I've been playing with this bad boy in OU alongside Electric Terrain support from Tapu Koko and it's just an insane threat once Ground-types are removed. This kind of set allows Regieleki to bypass almost any Pokemon (2HKO fat special sponge such as Blissey/Chansey) while still being able to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon since 200 BS speed is indecent af. If it drops, I can definitively see this Pokemon burst threw UU with Pincurchin support.

I can't wait to see which Pokemon we're going to get in about a week but it's going to be a big mess for sure..

AllTerrainVen0moth

Banned deucer.
Glastrier @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- whatever you want tbh

If we do end up getting this thing because "ice bad", its going straight to UUBL. Excellent bulk and 145 base attack is way too much for a UU setting. Ive been playing around with the horse's ghostly brother, and its great up in OU.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Regieleki @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Rising Voltage
- Thunderbolt / Thunder Cage
- Explosion

I've been playing with this bad boy in OU alongside Electric Terrain support from Tapu Koko and it's just an insane threat once Ground-types are removed. This kind of set allows Regieleki to bypass almost any Pokemon (2HKO fat special sponge such as Blissey/Chansey) while still being able to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon since 200 BS speed is indecent af. If it drops, I can definitively see this Pokemon burst threw UU with Pincurchin support.

I can't wait to see which Pokemon we're going to get in about a week but it's going to be a big mess for sure..
What need would Regieleki have for a Speed positive nature in UU?

Are we going to unban all the UUBLS when the drops happen or only those that deserve a chance/most likely to fit in the meta? Considering UU will be turned upside down with these shifts I honestly think just unban everything, plus nobody can complain if we didn’t allow anything since they’d all be unbanned at the beginning and the worst offenders would be gone quickly

A bit premature, I know, but let's face it- having been arbitrarily denied access to both Grassy Glide and Play Rough (although it does still get CC now), any notion of Tapu Bulu being able to compete with Rillaboom in OU has been thrown from a five story window onto a pile of shattered glass. If the NatDex meta is anything to go by, Bulu will inevitably be dropping down to UU; however, here is is shaping up to be quite excellent. Assuming it doesn't get banned, I see quite a few potential sets for this guy.
1603509043949.png

Raging Bull (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP/252 Att/8 SpD; Adamant Nature
-Wood Hammer
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Darkest Lariat
-Horn Leech/Darkest Lariat

This will probably be the most defining set, if not the best. The main draw is obviously Band and Terrain boosted Wood Hammer, which can ensure a 2HKO even on a handful of resists. Close Combat is the de facto move for handling Steel types, and from there you have the option of Stone Edge for nailing Flying types, Darkest Lariat to ensure you don't get walled by Doublade, or Horn Leech for more STAB and a STAB option that doesn't gradually kill you. You could also swap CC for High Horsepower, removing the need for Lariat, but CC is overall better due to the clear power difference. Finally, Adamant nature allows you to get the max bang for your buck. There could also be use for a Scarf variant of this set, but there are faster Scarfers and the power of Band can just be too good to pass up.
1603509048381.png

Rawhide (Tapu Bulu) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP/252 Att/8 SpD; Adamant Nature
-Wood Hammer
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Darkest Lariat/Nature's Madness
-Horn Leech

I definitely wouldn't say this is the next best set after Band, but I decided to put it here due to how it relates to the Band set. The basic idea of this set is to bluff the Band set, then catch your opponent's switch-in off guard by changing up moves. While AV doesn't make Bulu an unbreakable Special wall, it does allow it a decent amount of resistance to certain special attackers like the Rotom forms (just watch out for Wisp). In terms of moves and EVs, the only major difference is that Horn Leech is now mandatory to provide longevity and better leverage AV Bulu's comparatively higher bulk. One option that works better on AV than Band, IMO, is Nature's Madness, which allows you to chip down problematic walls like Geezing and Doublade (although you still don't want to 1v1 either).
1603509052676.png

Charging. (Tapu Bulu) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Spd; Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Wood Hammer/Horn Leech
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

The other obvious route for Bulu to go, Swords Dance turns Bulu into a terrifying physical sweeper, even if its Speed isn't the best. Simply find an opening to set up, then tear through anything that can't outspeed and OHKO you (or preferably get a teammate to handle those mons). CC and Edge are self-evident coverage moves, while for Grass STAB you can Hammer for a free nuke or Horn Leech since your STAB still hits decently hard in terrain or are afraid of recoil cutting your sweep short. You might want to drop one of the coverage moves for something that can hit Doublade, but I think the two options listed are overall better for this all-in SD mad-lad. This set goes for max speed Jolly since you're mainly trying to get as much damage off as possible, so you want as many opportunities to move as possible.
1603509057711.png

Buff Boi (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Att/ 4 SpD; Adamant Nature
-Bulk Up
-Horn Leech
-High Horsepower
-Substitute/Stone Edge

This set takes on a more bulk-oriented variant of sweeper Bulu, using the slower Bulk Up to provide a sweeper who's a tad harder to take out. Unlike SD, BU set-up Bulu prioritizes HP investment and Leftovers to better utilize the bulkier direction; Showdown advised Adamant for this set, but I could see a variant that invests more in defenses to ease the strain setting up inherently causes. Since we're trying to live for more than 5 turns with this set, Horn Leech becomes the STAB of choice to make back a ton of HP on anything that doesn't resist. I also find High Horsepower to be more appealing than CC for anti-Steel coverage on this variant since 1) it doesn't drop defenses, which I feel kind of defeats the point of the bulky sweeper route, and 2) Horsepower has more PP. For that last move, you have the option to go for Substitute to further ease set-up or Stone Edge so you have some anti-Flying coverage and a naturally strong move; I prefer Substitute because you're probably not staying in on those offensive Flying types, so Substitute ensures you at least get a hit off on them.
1603509061630.png

BE GONE, STALL! (Tapu Bulu) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Spd; Jolly Nature
-Taunt
-Wood Hammer
-Nature's Madness
-Synthesis/Horn Leech

This set is only for certain teams, but it serves a unique role in terms of Bulu sets- stallbreaker Bulu. The idea of this set is pretty simple- Taunt walls, deal as much damage to them as possible with Hammer, spam Nature's Madness to get more problematic roadblocks into Hammer range, and use either Synthesis or Horn Leech so you don't take yourself out after 3 turns. Taunt also means stallbreaker doesn't have to fear status like some of the previous sets do. Max Speed Jolly spread to get the jump on faster utility mons. Again, this set is really only for teams that otherwise struggle against stall, but I think it could serve that role admirably when needed.
1603509066357.png

Very Hungry (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP/8 Att/252 Def; Impish Nature
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Horn Leech
-High Horsepower/Rock Slide/Close Combat/Nature's Madness/whatever

Finally, we have a Bulu set that goes all in on bulk- SubSeed. Here, Bulu utilizes the classic Substitute + Leech Seed combo to gradually wear down mons that it would normally struggle to beat. Horn Leech prevents you from being Taunt bait and lets you get more health in addition to your passive healing. And oh boy, that passive healing- Terrain + Seed + Leftovers means you're recovering 1/4 max HP per turn. Where this set really gets interesting, however, is in its extremely flexible fourth slot. You can use Horsepower or Rock Slide to hit problematic Steel or Flying types, CC if you need an emergency big hit, Lariat for Doublade, Taunt to pair with Seed and wear down walls, Nature's Madness for quick whittling, or even Toxic or Protect to really rack up that passive damage. For EVs, we for once go all in on Bulu's naturally decent physical bulk with a max Def Impish build and 8 Att EVs just to ensure our Horn Leech actually does some damage.

While we can't know for sure how good each of these sets will be until Bulu drops, I feel that Bulu is looking to be one of the most interesting drops UU gets. But what's to say it's not broken, you ask? Well, I do think there are several factors that keep Bulu somewhat manageable; its Speed tier is mediocre, meaning it can easily take a lot of hurt against faster teams, certain mons like Geezing and Doublade are a pain unless you run the right move (moves that Bulu can't always fit. There's a reason I don't mention Zen Headbutt, despite it being a move for Geezing) and sets that aren't 4 attacks can struggle with 4MSS as they try to fit everything Bulu wants. Still, I believe the bull will at least be a major threat once it arrives.

Decided I was gonna write a long-ass post, cuz I haven't written a long-ass post in a long time, so get ready to suffer. Before starting this post, the post itself will assume some things about UU in the future:
  • UU will contain pokemon like Nidoqueen, Nihilego, and Moltres
  • Scizor will not be present in the tier
  • Metagross isn't banned (no reason why it would be but w/e)
  • I'm good at the game (aint that way rn but im prayin)
  • Slowbro doesn't rise to OU because the council gets their shit together and bans Zygarde
So moving on, the pokemon I wanted to speculate/talk about is one of my favorites, but not my favorite (sadly mence will probably see another UUBL generation, f ) of all time. The king of ADV, the 4000 iq piece of metal, Metagross.

In this probably poorly written and unnecessarily long post, I will discuss these few things: Why Metagross will be good in the tier, what sets it could possible run, and how to beat Metagross. So lets get into it!

I. Why will Metagross be an A tier pokemon?

There are a few factors that I believe will make Metagross a great UU pokemon. Being a Steel type that actually resists Fairy and Psychic, coupled with fantastic utility and blessed with a wonderful movepool, means Metagross already has a lot going for it. However, there are a few more factors that increase Metagross' superiority to some of the Steel's we're currently working with. I'll list off a few of these attributes for you:
  • Having base 70 speed means Metagross can outrun a lot of the tier's premier walls, and threaten them with either STABs or a coverage option before the opposing wall can respond.
  • Being blessed with a raw 135 base Attack and a not-so-shabby base 95 Special Attack means mixed sets are not out of the question, so there will more then likely be no 1 mon answer that completely shuts Metagross down.
  • Furthermore, having access to Stealth Rocks and good offensive base stats mean Metagross can threaten most of the tier's hazard removal options, making it a relatively consistent rocker for a lot of teams.
  • A steel/psychic typing, while prone to common moves like Knock Off, makes it immune to Toxic and Toxic Spikes, as well as enables it to check a plethora of psychic, fairy, and poison types.
  • With 80/130/90 defenses, coupled with it's decent typing, mean Metagross is decently bulky, meaning it won't just fall over in the face of even resisted attacks, such as Sylveon's Hyper Voice or Noivern's Hurricane.
  • Going back to it's movepool, having a decent-sized movepool means Metagross has the potential for a lot of viable sets, such as CB, rocker, mixed, etc.
  • Clear Body as an ability means Intimidate users can't come in for free.
  • Access to priority and a not terrible speed tier means it can function as a revenge killer too!
Now given, Metagross has it's flaws. With no reliable recovery, and weakness to spikes, Metagross isn't hard to wear down. This, and 70 base speed being THAT great for an offensive powerhouse, what ultimately keeps Metagross from S rank for me. Also, being weak to Knock Off is a big nono. Now onto the long part of the long-ass post.

II. What sets could Metagross potentially run?

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / Occa Berry / Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm / Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt / Rock Slide

With access to Stealth Rocks, decent bulk, and a vast movepool to pick what ya wanna hit from, Metagross stands out as a viable rocker in the UU tier. With STAB Meteor Mash to threaten the likes of Galarian-Weezing, as well as options like Grass Knot to hit Rotom-Wash or Ice Punch to hit Noivern, Metagross is seems like it'd be able to consistently keep rocks on the field over the turns of a game. I feel like Mash/EQ is standard, but mixed or fully special sets with rocks could work too. Other cool options could be Explosion, to nuke something, or Bullet Punch, to pick off weakened threats like Terrakion or Mimikyu (as long as they don't Sneak themselves). Overall, Metagross appears to be able to run a viable Stealth Rock set.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch / Zen Headbutt / Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch / Trick / Explosion / Rock Slide

Choice Band has been Metagross' bread and butter ever since it's debut in Generation 3. A stellar base 135 attack, backed by a diverse physical movepool, it's no surprise why every metagame with a Metagross has some version of this set running around. Again, Mash and EQ are standard here to hit things like Sylveon, Galarian Weezing, Nidoqueen, Doublade, etc. The last two slots, I feel, are customizable for what your team needs to hit. Options like Thunder Punch and Bullet Punch make the most sense to me, to hit bulky waters and revenge kill offensive threats, but options like Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, Explosion, or Rock Slide (to hit Moltres and not get burnt) seem viable as well. Trick is also a great option to cripple a defensive wall to give a teammate an easier time breaking through.

Metagross @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch
- Grass Knot
- Earthquake / Psychic / Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch / Explosion / Hammer Arm / Sludge Bomb / Rock Slide

While probably not as potent as the other two sets will be, Mixed sets will definitely have a place in the metagame, I predict. With access to Grass Knot, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, and Steel Beam (as well as meteor beam, but we'll hit that later), Metagross has options to get around physically bulky pokemon, such as Slowbro or the niche Tangela. The pure chaos of the set is really dependent on what you wanna hit, like if your team covers Moltres and physically defensive Nidoqueen really well, you probably don't need Psychic or Rock Slide, and can then opt for stuff like Sludge Bomb or Ice Punch, etc. Overall, while probably not even as good as the above two sets, Mixed sets will definitely have a spot in the metagame.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch / whatever the heck you want, i'm not writing this list out a fourth time.

While most likely more niche and uncommon than the above three, Assault Vest variants could potentially be viable. With threatening special attackers, like Sylveon (i need to stop mentioning this mon because it hits so hard, Metagross gets 2HKO'd by Mystical and Shadow Ball) and Reuniclus, Metagross can utilize its decent defensive typing to pull off an Assault Vest set. This gives it a little additional special bulk, in order to eat hits it usually wouldn't, making it a better check to stuff like Calm Mind Reuniclus, Nasty Plot Celebi, and so on. Last move is interchangeable, cuz with lack of power, you really wanna make sure you're hitting Slowbro.

walled by chansey (Metagross) @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot
- Meteor Beam

Do you like using hot shit? Do you hate Moltres? Do you like having your renowned Choice Band user lose to Chansey? Well do I have a set for you! Utilizing Meteor Beam (one of like 2 or 3 new moves Metagross actually got) and a Power Herb, Metagross gets a unique setup option to boost it's special attack and hit Moltres at the same time. Grass Knot and Flash Cannon should hit everything else in theory that you'd want too, especially if you run a pokemon or 2 to deal with Steel types. Finally, Agility allows Metagross to not be outrun by common revenge killers, such as Noivern and Starmie. Overall, this set is probably trash, but hey, broken Meteor Beam, amirite?

III. How do I beat Metagross?

Like stated earlier, Metagross has a few exploitable issues:
  • Being a grounded pokemon with no reliable recovery, Spikes are a very good tool to wear Metagross down over a game, alongside hit after hit. Roserade and Klefki are good Spikers, which can each cripple or disable Metagross coming in with tools like Thunder Wave, Sleep Powder, or even the occasional Foul Play.
  • Fast offensive threats, such as Choice Band Terrakion, or Krookidile, can outrun and threaten a KO on Metagross with their STABs. While Terrakion can't outright OHKO Metagross due to it's bulk, Terrakion can pick off a Metagross hanging around 70% with Earthquake. Other notable threats to Metagross include Obstagoon, Darmanitan, and Chandelure, which can all outrun and threaten to KO Metagross with their Super-effective attacks.
  • While no pokemon can cover all Metagross sets due to it's insane coverage, Rotom-Wash comes pretty close. Not being directly threatened by anything except Explosion, or Grass Knot on Special sets, Rotom-Wash can come in, Burn, Hydro, or Volt on Metagross, or just defog away it's hazards, effectively undoing any progress Metagross has made.

Well thats it for this obnoxiously long post. Remember this is all speculation before dm'ing me on PS! about how bad I am. Anyways, if you noticed the quality getting worse with every paragraph, I started at 11pm and ended this about 4:30am. So yea. Anyways, enjoy your days, folks!

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
3 of the coolest legendaries I see us getting are Raikou, Azelf, and Entei. Each has some new toys to play with:

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Scald
- Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

Don a pair of Specs, hit like a truck. Ground types get ruined by Aura Sphere + Scald. Shadow Ball is basically only if you hate fat Psychics.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute / Scald / Shadow Ball

CM Raikou has coverage still! Electric + Fighting coverage is pretty powerful and can let Kou annoy stall / balance teams. And the naturally high Speed and Special Attack means it doesn't necessarily need Calm Mind vs offense.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot / Grass Knot / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt

No Pursuit means sweeper Azelf is a thing again. Against offense, frailty means it won't be able to set up, so you could just replace Plot with a 4th move and maximize coverage.

Azelf @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Explosion
- U-turn

So Special Azelf will still be far superior, but the fact that Band is possible and a threat now will do wonders for it. Play Rough makes this possible as it can now just crush Dragons and Darks on its own. Strong U-turn is never bad, nor is Knock.

Entei @ Choice Band / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly or Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Fire

Entei still has fundamental problems with bulky Waters. While that wasn't fixed, it got some neat perks. Band now has the choice of running Jolly with Blitz and ESpeed, which is nice as it now outspeeds more offensive mons. It could also run Boots and keep Adamant so it's harder to passively wear down with Rocks and other hazards. The big thing though is Inner Focus blocking Intimidate, which means you can't just use an Initmidate user to pivot into and out of it. I think it'll be the least good of these 3 because of the fundamental issues with Waters, but it got neat little boosts to help some other issues. It also got Scorching Sands, but I don't think that'll help much here.

Zyg 10% a good boy that nobody talks about, it has great speed, and solid attack at 100 and good 115 speed, by this standard its outspeeding most of the meta barring talonflame and noivern and only speed tying with starmine, it can run CB comfortably and with the abundance of knock off and status it could easily overwhelm its prior checks in the slowtwins. I feel like zyg now will be an excelent mon in the tier due to the lack of a ground resist barring tangela ofc

So, since I haven't tryharded enough this generation to insert myself into the tier without being welcome, and potentially to farm likes and posts so I can finally post a 1k posts RMT, I decided to put the UU room through some questions about the coming tier shift. I posed the following questions:
  • What are you looking forward to most in the coming tier shift?
  • Do you feel like the metagame will shift in a good or poor direction?
  • What are you most excited for being freed from UUBL?
  • Anything in particular that you AREN'T looking forward to?
  • Finally, will Estarossa ever stop challenging people to older generations of UnderUsed?
(Spoiler to that last one - the answer was a resounding "no")

So let's get into some of the thoughts of the UU room on PS!

I. What are you looking forward to most in the coming tier shift?

While I expected a list of busted pokemon, the UU room brought up several interesting points. A Cake Wearing A Hat mentioned that he was excited for the various amount of Poison types coming to the tier potentially, such as Nidoqueen, Nihilego, Crobat, Toxtricity, and Slowking-Galar. Slowking-Galar in particular was mentioned a few times, as it's increased special bulk looks promising to help better check the ever-present Sylveon. Other pokemon such as Stakataka and Glastrier were briefly mentioned.

II. Do you feel like the metagame will shift in a good or poor direction?

Most of the room agreed that the new drops, after some time anyways, that the metagame would be a lot less stale. Mystras Leoxses mentioned that they were tired of seeing the same Noivern-Sylveon-Slowtwin teams. Not much else was said about this question, most likely due to the fact that I am terrible at this and gave them a solid 30 seconds to answer before moving on. Whoops.

III. What are you most excited about being freed from UUBL?

Surprisingly, there were 2 answers to this question: all of them, and Lycanroc-Dusk. Again, not much was said here besides a smaller conversation about how Doublade was somehow a Lycanroc-Dusk counter even though it gets dropped by 3 Crunches and has no recovery. Xurkitree also randomly entered the conversation, so this is how you could tell I was quickly losing the little of their attention I had.

IV. What AREN'T you looking forward to with the upcoming shift?

To summarize: Steel Bug, a different Steel Bug, weather, Chloe entered the conversation with the wrong opinion about Scizor, and was immediately simp'd over by watfor.

Scizor and Durant were the main topics of discussion, as A Cake Wearing A Hat quickly lamented about how Scizor would most likely end up dominating the metagame again, and Mystras Leoxses also briefly mentioned Victini. Weather was also a main talking point, as with everything being freed, including Drizzle, weather wars would soon ensue. Kinda reminds me of late USUM UU :(

Anyways, that was just some thoughts that I liked to share with ya'll from the UU room users about the upcoming shifts. Glad to see some cool discussions, and I hope you all enjoy your days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)