ORAS UU UU M-Beedrill Team + Needs Work (Peaked: Around 1400)

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hey guys, so this my attempt at creating a balanced UU team, with a core that I thought would be very good. I started this team with the Hydreigon and Mega Beedrill core, as Hydreigon provides and Ground, Psychic, and Fire immunity/resistance. Beedrill can take a couple Moonblasts, although it doesn't really want to. This team has many obvious flaws that I will try my best to point out, but I tried to fix most of them. This is my first RMT. Enjoy!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

The star of the show. Mega Beedrill comes in whops a Pokemon with U-turn, Knock Off, or Poison Jab and gets out. This Pokemon can U-turn out of bad match-ups, and checks Florges hard with Poison Jab. This Pokemon loses to Scarf Pokemon, priority, and Speed boosters. Although it is very powerful, Pokemon like Alomomola and Suicune can sometimes wall it. Although it doesn't really appreciate it, it can take Moonblasts from Florges. A standard set.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Hydreigon checks Scarf Pokemon like Krookodile, Chanderlure, and Darmanitan while nuking other Pokemon with Draco Meteor. This Pokemon also checks Mega Sceptile and Mega Aerodactyl, which both threaten Beedrill. Standard Scarf set, while keeping momentum with U-turn. DDance Mence or ScarfMence can sometimes threaten this Pokemon.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance

I don't know if the SD set is the most optimal, but Gligar tanks most physical attacks with reliable recovery. Gligar is my main physical wall. Swords Dance has won me many 1v1 games, because it can spam Roost and set up Swords Dances. Gligar also can get key Knock Off's on Choice Pokemon on the switch in. I had U-turn on this Pokemon, but I needed to hinder Choice Scarf Salamence. This Pokemon checks Infernape, Mienshao, and Machamp(without Ice Punch).

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
Because I had major weaknesses to Ice, I obviously went with a Specially Defensive Empoleon. Both my SR setter and Defogger, Empoleon is a crucial part of the team,because he clears Sticky Web, Stealth Rocks, or any other hazards that Mega Beedrill doesn't appreciate. Also he gets busy tanking most Special Attacks. Empoleon and Gligar form quite a nice core, because Empoleon takes Ice attacks, and Gligar takes Electric, Ground, and Fighting attacks for him.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Crawdaunt is a valuable member to the squad, Knocking off key items and hitting hard. Crawdaunt is also my Mamoswine check, which is a huge problem for this team. Aqua Jet gives my team some priority to deal with faster attackers like Aerodactyl. Crawdaunt mainly gets rid of key threats to this team.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge

This last spot has changed the most, but I settled Entei to have more priority, and to bop things with Flare Blitz and Sacred Fire. Extreme Speed deals with Crawdaunt, and opposing Mega Beedrill. Entei is a usually a last ditch effort to get rid of sweepers. I have used Flare Blitz or Stone Edge too much, as the priority and 50% Burn chance is too good not to use.

MAJOR THREATS:
Mamoswine is a big threat to this team, hitting almost every Pokemon super effectively. Usually Crawdaunt and Entei can deal with it, but one of them dies in the process.
This Pokemon can sometimes kill Empoleon and get Stealth Rocks up against the rest of my team, which greatly hinders my momentum.
Scarf Infernape, although it's unusual, can kill my Beedrill and usually a couple other Pokemon later in the game. Unless it has Vacuum Wave or Mach Punch, Crawdaunt can usually deal with it.
Lucario with SD/Ice Punch/Close Combat/Extreme Speed runs through this entire team if it can get a Swords Dance up. Killing multiple Pokemon with E-Speed and Ice Punch for the Gligar. It resists Entei's Extreme Speed, and can Extreme Speed Crawdaunt before it gets a chance to Aqua Jet.

DDance Salamence sweeps this team with one DDance. Extreme Speed usually doesn't kill it, doing around 60%. After a Dance, Salamence outspeeds everything on the team.
Basically my only chance with this Pokemon is to somehow get an Ice Beam off on it from Empoleon, or kill it with Extreme Speed from Entei.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: A few other flaws, nobody on this team like to take Knock Off, and nobody really wants to take a Will-O-Wisp except for maybe Hydreigon and Empoleon.

Thanks for taking the time to view this team, and constructive advice and feedback, along with potential replacements to better deal with the threats at hand would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looking at your threat list, I have a few suggestions. The first path you could take tries to change as little as possible and simply switches up some sets to let you deal with most of your threat list a little better. What I'd recommend doing, if you choose this approach, is to use the Offensive Support Empoleon set with Shuca Berry to give you a one-time check to Mamoswine and Salamence and put either Stealth Rock or Defog on Gligar over Swords Dance. Rain Dance Mega Swampert is also a bit of an issue for you, and this change allows you to check it more effectively. Here are the sets:

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock / Defog
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog / Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Knock Off / Taunt / U-turn

Choose which Pokemon handles which aspect of hazard control based on how you feel your team operats most effectively. If Gligar uses Stealth Rock over Defog, use Immunity as the ability to avoid being poisoned.

If you wish to make more drastic changes, an option available to you is to replace Gligar entirely with Calm Mind Cresselia. This keeps your bulky win condition, but gives you a better check to Mamoswine, Infernape (which honestly shouldn't be too much of a problem for you between Gligar, Crawdaunt, and Entei), Lucario, and Salamence. Cresselia may not beat all of these Pokemon 1v1, depending on certain factors (Mamoswine needs to flinch with Icicle Crash, Salamence can 2HKO with Life Orb Outrage, Lucario can run Crunch), but it should be able to bring them down to KO range for Entei's Extremespeed. You can run Ice Beam or Moonblast as a coverage move, depending on what you think you need to hit the most.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

You can revenge kill or play around most other Pokemon (the team is fairly fast, has good bulk and typing synergy, and carries two forms of priority), so this change will give you a fat catch-all check to a lot of Pokemon that currently trouble you. With this change, Empoleon can either keep its current set or change to the offensive support set.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try your changes out. As for the Gligar, I would rather avoid being Toxic'd, so I may go with Rocks on Gligar and Defog on Empoleon.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I like this team PinkDragonTamer but some quick fixes can make this team better, so on with the rate!
  • First off, I agree with Amaroq about changing you Empoleon set to the offensive Shuca set for the reasons he stated. I also agree with Cresselia instead of Gligar; however, I feel like you should be running the Defensive set > Calm Mind. This gives you a more solid answer to those in your threatlist as all but Mamoswine is crippled by Thunder Wave and Cresselia has good enough bulk to force them out even at +2. Lunar Dance can also give the Pokemon on your team a second chance, making them even more threatening as they can play more aggressively in the early game.
  • Although I agree with Amaroq about changing Empoleon's set, I feel like Empoleon itself should be changed as Empoleon doesn't offer much to this kind of team since it can still be kind of a momentum suck which defeats the purpose of running VoltTurn. I feel like Nidoqueen would be a nice replacement as it gives you a Volt Switch immunity, allowing you to keep up your momentum against opposing VoltTurn teams, which can win if they have more momentum than you do at any point in the match. This also gives you a more reliable Mega Beedrill check as Crawdaunt can only revenge kill and Cresselia is dying after repeated switches.
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance
- Psychic / Moonblast
- Moonlight

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

The team is a really good offensive template of the current UU metagame, hence the small rate, but I hope I helped! n_n

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Thanks for the feedback too, another problem with Cresselia though. I don't have anybody on my team that wants to take a strong Knock Off, and I don't have a switch-in to Crawdaunt. Although Hydreigon does wall it somewhat, I'd rather not get my Choice Scarf knocked off.
EDIT: After running a few calcs with Nidoqueen, I can see that Aqua Jet only does around 50%, I will definitely consider Nidoqueen for the spot.
EDIT #2 lol: Now I don't have a Defogger, which can be a problem for Mega Beedrill.

Thanks for the feedback too, another problem with Cresselia though. I don't have anybody on my team that wants to take a strong Knock Off, and I don't have a switch-in to Crawdaunt. Although Hydreigon does wall it somewhat, I'd rather not get my Choice Scarf knocked off.
EDIT: After running a few calcs with Nidoqueen, I can see that Aqua Jet only does around 50%, I will definitely consider Nidoqueen for the spot.
EDIT #2 lol: Now I don't have a Defogger, which can be a problem for Mega Beedrill.
Imo you need a stallbreaker. Cune walls most of your team and I don't see a lot there to stop it from firing off free scalds which in turn destroys your team bc the might as well rename scald burn cause that's what's gonna happen and if bee gets burned I'm pretty sure you instalose. This all happening of course if craw is already dead and taken care of if not burned already. And the only way you'd live that situation as well is if you're already +2 ready to knockoff the doges food. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: P.S. when zam drops you kinda get ran through cause sash checks scarf gon not that craw is nonexistent or anything just throwing that out there.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I know that I need a Stall Breaker, as some RestTalk Pokemon(Suicune, Snorlax) have definitely beaten me before. the problem is, I don't know if I have room on my team. If you think a Stall Breaker would help, what's your suggestion?
Btw thanks for the feedback

I know that I need a Stall Breaker, as some RestTalk Pokemon(Suicune, Snorlax) have definitely beaten me before. the problem is, I don't know if I have room on my team. If you think a Stall Breaker would help, what's your suggestion?
Btw thanks for the feedback
Slap a roar on emp and try not to throw it in front of shit. Make gligar SPD so he can help out if need be, and I personally refuse to run knockoff on bee.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
What you run instead of Knock Off? Just curious. Also Sp. Defensive doesn't seem like the greatest idea.

OH Man! I really like that Gligar set haha. I was thinking of a similar set that will beat Salamence one on one if it hits stone edge of course. I am very familiar with Empoleon teams so I thought I would give it a rate! I hope you enjoy:toast:

• Threats and Solutions
->

You have stated that you have problems with the following pokemon: Mamoswine, Infernape, Lucario, Mamoswine. I had a team I posted in the UU Sample Teams thread that was weak to some of the same pokemon and I was using a Suicune. I realized that suicune was not walling what it should but another water type did. I see your team and the Crawdaunt is a water type that looks excessive. I recommend Crawdaunt -> Calm Mind Slowking. People above have been suggesting replacing Gligar with Cress but I believe the water typing helps a lot with those threats. Scald is always a nice spammable stab and Slowking can live a +2 grass knot from Infernape. This still leaves Salamence at a bit of a problem but don't worry, I have a solution.

->

Now I hate to change a ground type but I feel this will do far more good than harm. I would replace SD Gligar -> Leftovers SD Excavalier. You have a bit of a Snorlax problem and even more so with Crawdaunt gone. Escav takes a body slam really well and can set up on Snorlax. It also takes on DD non fire-blast Salamence and preserves a switch into Mega Beedrill. It gives you a check to Mamo and Aero. I benefits your team so well. I made the Escavalier with enough HP and defense to have plus 1 EQ 3hko and Iron head KO after a SD. I also made it able to live three thunderbolts from modest Mega Ampharos. This is up to you, but if you take 92 attacks evs and put them in speed, you beat the 96 speed tier and have enough attack to still KO sally at plus 2.

Roar
Snorlax needs to be shifted around until it can be in a position to kill. Ice Beam Empoleon -> Roar Empoleon does a lot for your team. Ice Beam isnt too neccesary with Escav now and you have scarf Hydre for Mega Sceptile. No I do not believe this makes Salamence (special defog) any more of a threat. You set up rocks and scald away or Roar away until something faster kills it off.

Drill Run
Changing Jolly Beedrill -> Adamant Drill Run Beedrill has not major downsides especially with a team like this one. I don't see much need with knock off on Bee since you dont have a clear Chandelure or Gligar weakness. Drill run would help with Nasty Plot Lucario and scary poison types like Nidoqueen and Dragalge. If you see a reason to keep knock off then by all means keep it.
  • Other Thoughts
I made your only Zapdos switch in a Hydreigion. On another scary note, I made it your Ampharos switch too haha. I also made your team a bit slower, but I feel the scarf Hydra U-turn core with the powerful priority from Entei will be enough. I really wish I could just slap roost on Hydra but you become weak to a lot more if you are not scarfed. A slurpuff seems a little scary even though it doesn't kill Excav or Slowking.
  • Sets
Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

• Banner
I made a littler banner for fun if you want to use my changes!

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Wow DaSpoofy, a lot of great advice. Unfortunately I have school today so I may not be able to get around to your changes until Friday. I'm starting to see how Roar Empoleon will help against Suicune and other Calm Minders. But by getting rid of Crawdaunt, I feel like I can't get rid of CM Cresselia. Also I may change Knock Off to Drill Run, but then I can't out speed +1 Jolly Feraligator which is a pretty big threat.

I need to do a LOT of testing now. 0-0

EDIT: Looking back at your team, these changes seem really really good. I might take that advice. Thanks a lot!
PS: Banner looks dope :))))

Last edited:
Hi PinkDragonTamer this is a pretty cool team you have here. Before I got into testing it out a bit, I made a couple more sets more optimal for the team and the weaknesses you listed.

I changed your current Empoleon set to an Offensive Defog set:
Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

and the SD Gligar set to a Defensive Pivot Gligar:
Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

I'm pretty sure everyone that has left a comment so far is all in agreement with this. The Empoleon set addresses your weakness to both Salamence and Mamoswine with the Shuca Berry. I typically run a bit less speed than the standard due to 44-60 Spe not creeping much besides maybe Florges which walls the set either way. Gligar I really like on this team due to its obviously providing Stealth Rock for your team, and being an excellent pivot at the same time. Due to its low speed and fantastic bulk, it can switch into common threats to offense like Mega Aerodactyl and take a hit or two and guarantee a safe switch in to one of your offensive mons. With a Electric immunity it becomes a perfect tool to abuse against Volt-Turn teams by sapping their momentum.

Here in Replay 1 we see how Gligar can switch into attacks that your teammates would rather not take. Shuca empoleon also has a great matchup due to almost being certainly able to get a kill against the opposing team.

Replay 2 : in this battle, Bulky Zapdos appeared to be a problem mid-game, as I had to sack Beedrill to keep it in range of other attacks and to keep it from roosting. Also as you can see late game, Hydreigon's Dark Pulse failed to KO a non-Assault Vest Metagross, after rocks and LO damage. No offense to you or your teambuilding, but Scarf Hydreigon is weak as piss. Losing Hydreigon made this battle a close one, having to sack everything except for Entei to assure that Crawdaunt was in CB Extremespeed range.

After reviewing this battle, I decided to change Hydreigon to a LO set. This set here, while not as fast, gives you 30% extra power, recovery, stallbreaking potential, and a somewhat reliable way to deal with bulky Zapdos and waters, namely Suicune, which beforehand your team desperately struggled against.
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Replay 3 happened before the change to a LO Hydreigon but even with the new Shuca Empoleon set I found myself swept by a decently played late-game Salamence. Granted I didn't play well at all and overlooked the possibility of Hydreigon being set up on at -4, but once it had started, Mence landed a clean sweep. After this battle, I decided to change Crawdaunt for Choice Scarf Gardevoir. While this may sound strange, the set replaces the scarfed mon that was Hydreigon, while still being able to prove a big threat for opposing balance and stall.
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick

Calm Mind may seem strange but the concept was created by Christo in his post in the Creative and Underrated Movesets Thread. While still providing a nice speed boost due to Scarf, this Gardevoir set can trick more conservative pokemon like Mandibuzz, Blissey, Alomomola, etc. and then set up CMs in the face of choice locked pokemon, while likely gaining passive recovery from Leftovers. Also sending out Hydreigon against Salamence forces an Outrage in the case of Empoleon going down early, in which Fairy-Type Gardevoir can come in and revenge kill.

tldr-
Changed SpDef Empoleon to Offensive Defog
Changed SD Gligar to Defensive Pivot with Stealth Rocks and U-Turn
Changed Choice Scarf Hydreigon to LO Stallbreaker Hydreigon
Changed Crawdaunt to Choice Scarf Calm Mind Gardevoir

And with that, here's the new import! I hope I was helpful :]

Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
I went ahead and made a UU laddering session and used your team. I got to 1580s and stopped. I hope this can show off how effective your new team is!​

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hey TSR, Awesome suggestions you made there. I actually had U-Turn on Gligar but then changed because I felt like I couldn't beat Salamence 1 on 1. But with the addition of Offensive Empoleon, U-Turn is definitely a better option. I've been wanting to use StallBreaker Hydreigon for a long time, so I was just about to make a new team featuring that lol. Scarf Gardevoir seems really cool, and it checks a lot of Fighting Types + Salamencr which is really nice. I will definitely try this out.
Question: What does Empoleon's 32 Speed EVs out speed?

Now DaSpoofy, Thanks for using my team YouTube! You got to 1580 so you're probably a better player than I am :P. With a bit more work I feel like this team will be monstrous.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR
You're welcome, and I edited the post because I found out 44 spe is important to sipped creep uninvested alomomola, chesnaught, and swampert, so definitely use 44 Spe!

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
UPDATE: So this team has been great so far, but I still feel like I have a weakness to the all so common Suicune.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Just a little bumperino coming through. Also, with the move down of Alakazam, I was wondering if that would be of some help for this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)