Project UU Next Best Thing Crown Tundra Edition: Week 52: Slowking | Voting Phase

Weakness Policy Specially Offensive Celesteela

1610711682617.png

Celesteela @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 16 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon / Energy Ball

This sort of set works better with screens and/or Memento support, enhancing its already very good bulk to take hits and activate its Policy. The Speed EVs are designed to outspeed Scarf base 95s, such as Kyurem and Darmanitan when at +2. As rare as Darmanitan might be, its not really something that we want to have happen.

Last edited:
SubToxic Celesteela

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

This Celesteela is meant to gain extra turns between Substitute and moves that put a timer onto the opponent's threat (Leech Seed and Toxic).
Substitute is good to avoid detrimental status and, after some boosts to the SpD, it can even resists to some attacks.
Leech Seed or Giga Drain are a must-have for both utility and recovery; the former move is more suitable to defensive builds like this one, while Giga Drain needs EVs investment.
Toxic is always the good option it has been since ts release, especially if you are able to stall turns.
Flamethrower is the only attacking move that can destroy Ferrothorn and hurts most of the targets immune to Toxic.

In return, this Celesteela provide Leech Seed and Toxic support, which can force extra switches if coupled with hazards support.

A way to get rid of Heatran and Poison-type pokèmons are mandatory to avoid being stopped in our tracks.
Taunt is a bane for this set unless we have already set-up Toxic and/or Leech Seed.

Pokemons you can set-up a Substitute:
0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 58-69 (14.5 - 17.3%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowking Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 61-73 (15.3 - 18.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Amoonguss Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 61-72 (15.3 - 18%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 51-61 (12.8 - 15.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela in Rain: 84-100 (21.1 - 25.1%) -- 6.3% chance to break the Substitute
0 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 51-61 (12.8 - 15.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Celesteela @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

This set functions as a surprise revenge killer. By catching a pokemon off guard like terrakion, latias, and lycanroc, and niholego. This set has potential to straight up sweep teams that have been worn down or are to slow to revenge kill it. Tho it falls flat against defensive teams

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ingrain all rounded wall

Celesteela @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ingrain
- Leech Seed
- Air Slash
- Iron Defense​

This set might be a total meme since ingrain is generally a bad move especially on Celesteela, but i'm a funny guy so i'm showcasing this anyway. So the idea is to stall the crap out of your opponents, chipping them with rocky helmet, leech seed and air slash until they die; a strategy worthy of a slowpoke. The given EVs make sure she gets special Defense buffs with beast boost in order to tank both physical and Special moves. Of course, do not setup ingrain until the opposing threats like Victini are Defeated, because otherwise you'll just die right after using it. Once her checks are defeated or weakened enough, Ingrain Celesteela becomes basically immortal.

Alternatives
Toxic: Toxic can be used over air slash; Toxic lets Celesteela break walls easier in order to not engage them in PP wars but keep in mind that you're gonna lose your only direct damaging move and it could be unpleasant to get taunted.
Substitute: Substitute could be used over iron defense; It is a great tool to stall opponents and get rid of the critical hits issue, but it'll drain your HP really fast.
Explosion: Explosion is the only thing you can do to "switch Pokémon" if you misuse ingrain and the opponent takes advantage of that so it might be an option.
Leftovers can be used over Rocky Helmet to recover even more health but come on! This is meant to be creative!

Last edited:
The Steela to end all Steelas
:ss/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Skull Bash
- Acrobatics
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Having to decide between being phys Def or spdef is always a hard decision by every celesteela user and what if you want the setup capabilities of the autotomize set? Well this bad boy can do everything you want, the plan is simple when u bring it un and the opponent goes into their pivot to soak up your leech seed but instead you skull bash raising your defense and now You have the defensive capabilities of both phys Def and Spdef steela not only that but now You always have a fully powered acrobatics, after that You play like regular celesteela and if they they try to bring slowking or tentacruel to block the seed no problem thats just an opportunity to keep raising your defense/blast them with acrobatics

Last edited:

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Physical WP Bluff Set
:ss/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Heavy Slam
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

This set works best when you are bluffing the classic defensive set as it can set up flame charges in front of common pivots like slowking or the rotoms, thanks to its speed it can grab a surprise ko in front of magnezone and its natural bulk allows it to take one super effective hit which boosts the rocket even further giving a fully powered acrobatics and a +2 in attack, this set can snowball pretty quickly breaking a huge hole in the opponents defenses if you catch your opponent off guard, basically this works as an early game surprise sweeper.
Unfortunately you can only pull off this trick once, once ur opponent figures out your set it is easy to play around it, however it still can be threatening nonetheless.
Me and Ausma talked on Discord about this set and we agreed that it is different enough from APW001's set to not ban it. The use of Flame Charge and a physical set in place of Autotomize and a special set makes it just barely different enough that we'll allow it. However, please keep in mind that when building, you have to pay attention to the sets from other users as to not make yours too similar to somebody else's. TotomonGang, we'll let this one slide this time, but please be more careful to not make your set be too similar to other submissions. And this applies to everyone else!

obs: if you have any questions, concerns, or want to suggest a mon for next week, my DMs and Discord are open and so are Ausma's. You can find my discord in my signature right below. Thanks and have fun! ^-^

approved by A Cake Wearing A Hat | IoA version, Co-Host, and art by Ausma

UU Next Best Thing is finally back! After the Crown Tundra DLC dropped, the UU tier was vastly shaken up, and now that the it has had some time to recover from the beasts that were introduced, the project is up and running once again! The goal of this project is to explore interesting and new Pokemon sets, hoping to maybe find a new way to use said Pokemon! It serves as a way to let your imagination flow. With that said, not every set will become popular or a metagame staple. However, don't let that discourage you! The goal, at the end of the day, is to explore and have fun, but keep in mind that you can't submit any official Smogon set.

How's this going to work?
Each week, a Pokemon with the potential to have many sets will be selected. Participants must try to create a new set that is not already considered one of its main sets (either already in the Smogon Strategy Pokedex or in the process of being added). Participants will have from Friday until the end of Tuesday to create their set. On Wednesday and Thursday, a vote will be held in order to choose which set is the most creative and viable in the current Crown Tundra Gen 8 UU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is selected, the set will be listed in the Hall Of Fame below this post and the process will start over with another Pokemon.

RULES AND INFORMATION
  • Bandkrook (me) and Ausma are the hosts of this project. If you have any concerns regarding the project, or want to submit a Pokemon for next week, please DM one of us. ONLY POST SUBMISSIONS AND VOTES ON THIS THREAD.
  • Feel free to be as creative as you want, just make sure that you can prove that your set stands apart from the standard sets, especially if yours does not appear much different from the standard ones. It is also important that you understand the difference between a creative set and a gimmicky set. This project is meant to use creativity to maximize a Pokemon's potential, not produce gimmicks. We may disallow sets if we deem them too gimmicky, situational, or unoriginal.​
  • Feel free to post replays of your set in action! This is a great way to show how your set can be game changing in certain situations.​
  • Do not change your set after voting phase has started. Doing so will result in disqualification.
  • Anyone can vote, have you submitted a set or not! However, you may only vote for a set that is not your own. Voting for your own set and persuading others to vote for your set will result in disqualification for the present round and future ones if we deem it necessary.​
  • You may reserve a set, but if you haven't properly filled it in within 2 days of your reservation it may be taken by someone else.​
  • Have fun and pop off!
Celesteela @ Psychic Seed
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Steel Beam

VGC 2021 team or you could just run tapu lele and switch to celesteela or whatever you wanna do lol

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Celesteela @ Psychic Seed
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Steel Beam

VGC 2021 team or you could just run tapu lele and switch to celesteela or whatever you wanna do lol
Hello! This project's format doesn't support VGC. This project is ran on the Smogon Singles format. As such, Dynamax is banned and all Pokémon levels are set to 100. Tapu Lele is also banned in UU and resides in OU. Lastly, you provided little to no explanation on how your set works, meaning we can't allow your set to participate. Please read the rules carefully before posting. If you have any questions you can DM me or contact me in my discord. Have a nice day o/

Last edited:
I, too, am intrigued by the Skull Bash set. I actually was a big fan of the Flame Charge first posted and was going to post that one myself before I saw it - but this Skull Bash set is also very cool. So, my vote is for that.

APW001's Special Weakness Policy set
because Celesteela has the bulk to use WP effectively, thus avoiding being a passive monster

I would vote for the Ingrain Wall. I'm really interested by the Skull Bash set, I just feel the Ingrain set will work better in practice. I won't be voting for myself in these.

Band

scatters things often
With 3 votes each out of the total 9, Week 9's winner are TotomonGang's Power Herb Skull Bash and Giokio's Ingrain Wall sets! Congratulations and thank you all for participating! Your submissions will be added to the hall of fame shortly!
This week's Next Best Thing is...

Week 10: Mimikyu

:xy/mimikyu::xy/mimikyu-busted:
"After going to all the effort of disguising itself, Mimkyu's neck was broken and its rag was torn. Whatever is inside is probably unharmed, but it works through the night standing in front of a mirror, trying to to patch the rag and fix its neck. Sadly, it has a hard time getting it right, so it's crying inside."

Poor thing! Despite getting its rag torn and its neck broken all the time, Mimikyu still stands strong as a powerful sweeper. Its incredible typing gives it coveted immunities to Dragon and Fighting, and its ability serves as a built-in Substitute! Mimikyu has the tools to get the past some of its checks through coverage, priority, and boosting moves, but unfortunately it struggles with walls like Skarmory and Amoonguss and lacks good Ghost STAB (why doesn't it get Poltergeist wtf). However, Mimikyu has access to interesting moves like Trick, Phantom Force, and Hone Claws. How will you explore Mimikyu's potential?

Banned Set
:life-orb:
(click me)

You have until January 26th to submit your set!

Last edited:
Trick Room Mimikyu

1611231115117.png

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Play Rough

Taking inspiration from the Suicide Lead Hatterene that sets Trick Room in higher tiers, here is the Mimikyu version. Not necessarily a lead, but it has Trick Room and a self-damaging move in curse that helps get rid of Mimikyu itself, so a TR abuser can come in with more turns of TR whilst maintaining momentum. Mental Herb guarantees the Trick Room. Will-O-Wisp is there to nerf any physical attackers that are in against Mimikyu, and Play Rough to make sure Mimikyu has an attack and isn't totally Taunt-bait (once the Herb is used).

Katy

Banned deucer.
Sub+P-Split Mimikyu

:ss/Mimikyu:
Mimikyu (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Substitute + Pain Split allows Mimikyu to stay healthy and to be a great annoying Pokemon in the UU metagame, as with Play Rough and priority Shadow Sneak in combination with Sub, it can do alot of work. Furthermore Pain Split allows Mimikyu to deal with bulky foes and to gain HP from Pokemon such as Chansey, Amoonguss, Mamoswine, and Tangrowth so Mimikyu has more freedom to act in a long term case.

Last edited:
Infestation + Toxic Mimikyu
1611231115117.png

Mimikyu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Phantom Force
- Pain Split/Play Rough

General idea
The idea behind is to Toxic stall some slower threats with the aid of Infestation (weak move, but puts another timer onto the opponent) and Phantom Force (which is, ironically, the "best" physical move we have).
Infestation is the trapping move that lasts at least 4 turns without any aid (which is huge) and deals chip damage every turn.
Toxic is the usual good move it is to wear down a target not immune to it.
Phantom Force is good to stall turns with Toxic and/or Infestation.
In the last slot I really like to have Pain Split, a move that is really useful to recover some hp left while restoring some of Mimikyu's health. The other option is Play Rough, which is STABbed but lacks the recovery effect.

EVs (spread) and item
This is a bulky spread with no offensive investmen because our main ways to cripple the opponent's threat doesn't really need EVs investment.
If you have other tips, fell free to write them.

Team(mates) support
A way to deal with targets immune to Toxic (Steel and Poison-types) and Phantom Force is mandatory.
In return, this Mimikyu can cripple some targets surgically.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)