UU Sunny Day Team (No clever title, sorry)

So I made this team after someone opened up a thread about Sunny Day. The team is working better than I thought. I've peaked at about 1415, but I think it can go higher. The idea is to have the grass part bring out Pokemon that Moltres can switch in on and vice versa, while the sun is up and SR are not. So here's the team.

Support

Rhyperior (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP/36 Atk/220 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Rhyperior starts out as a solid lead, usually setting up both Stealth Rocks and Sunny Day. I've given him enough Attack to reach 325, and the rest is in Def to make it as Bulky as possible. I'd usually go for beating the other lead first, and then setting up. Here's that common leads matchup thing:

Ambipom: Fake Out does pathetic damage, so I take that and go for SR next turn. If he Taunts, then I use Stone Edge on the switch in, other wise I set up both.

Frosslass: Stone Edge off the bat, to take the Taunt. Then switch in Arcanine and Burn it, so Destiny Bond doesn't work. If both hit, then it should only get 1 layer up max, and Hitmontop can spin that out. If it doesn't Taunt me I go set up stuff.

Uxie: Sunny Day and Stealth Rocks can be set up quickly here, Id usually switch out to Moltres on the U-turn.

Moltres: This guy is troublesome. Arcanine is the go-to Pokemon here, to take the HP Grass/Will-o-Wisp. That gets me a Sunny Day up on his switch, and then one of my Grass sweepers in. Moltres is a massive problem for this team, overall though.

Alakazam: I have never faced one of these before. I'd try to set up on the Counter, and just out predict it. Possible get Tangrowth in to put it to sleep.

The thing about Rhyperior is that, after he sets up the feild, one of my sweepers is able to easily come in on one of his weknesses. All three can come in on Grass attacks, Victreebel and Tangrowth can come in on Water attacks, Tangrowth and Moltres can come in on Ground attacks, Moltres can come in on Ice attacks, and all of them can come in on Fighting attacks. The Burns and Toxics are also soaked up by Moltres and Victreebel respectively I can easily move into offense after Rhyperior is done. Mid-late game Rhyperior functions as my only real Swellow check, and is crucial in taking the brunt of my opponent's Sun boosted Fire attacks. Plus it is the only thing that really isn't walled by Bulky Altaria, and the best check I have to HP Grass-less Honchkrow. I was thinking to make the EV spread a little bit more specially inclined, to take those Fire moves. Any ideas?

Hitmontop (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/68 Atk/188 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Sunny Day
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

My second Sunny Day User, who doubles as a Rapid Spinner. The moves are pretty self explanatory. Rapid Spin gets rid of those Rocks, and Sunny Day gets my sun up. Spinning is crucial, necause I have one 4x weak to SR, and one regular SR weak Pokemon on my team. Plus with no Leftovers, Spikes and SR will be wearing my team down very fast. Close Combat grabs STAB, and Stone Edge hurts Flying types on the switch in, and they are generally really annoying. Moltres, Altaria, and Honchkrow in particular give the rest of the team a lot of trouble. Hitmontop+Arcanine get double Intimidate between themselves, so they can quickly weaken scary physical attackers. The EVs are standard. Hitmontop was chosen over Donphan becuase it doesn't stack up on the large Water weakness I have.

Arcanine (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP/168 Def/72 Spd/28 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Sunny Day
- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun

Arcanine is the least necissary Pokemon on the team. The real reason Arcanine is on the team is to be an overall decent switch in to physical attackers. He has proved to be a reliable Sunny Day set up, and overall hard for my opponents to take down. The problem is, that he just adds to my common weakness to Fire types in general and Altaria and stuff. Arcanine is also my only stop for HP Grass Honchkrow. I was thinking about replacing him with a Bulky Altaria. Thoughts?

Offense

Tangrowth (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Earthquake

Once I finally do get the sun up, Tangrowth is usually the first Pokemon to come in. I can usually hit the first switch in with a Sleep Powder and then Swords Dance as the next Pokemon comes in. Then he proceeds to hit the opponent with powerful Power Whips and Earthquakes. This generally opens up holes that Victreebel can easily exploit, or easy switch ins for Moltres. The Speed EVs allow for Tangrowth to outpace Max Speed Swellow and KO with a +2 Power Whip. The rest of the EVs go to maxing Attack, and putting in a little bit of Bulk. It also figures as an excelent switch in to Azumaril. Overall its pretty straight forward.

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Solarbeam
- Morning Sun

This thing just might be broken in the Sun. It 2HKOs even Chansey with a Sun boosted Fire Blast. its usually switching in once Tangrowth/Victreebel have lured in a Fire/Ice type user and the prepares to kill stuff. The only real stop are faster Pokemon, like Raikou, Aqua Jet users like Feraligatr and Azumarill. Luckily those both just give free switch in oppertunities for Tangrowth and Victreebel. Besides they can only come in after Moltres has killed something, since even Resisted Fire Blasts does massive amounts of damage.

Victreebel (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk/132 Spd/124 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Weather Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Victreebel offers the only Priority on the team, but it usually doesn't need it since he is able to outspeed Electrode with a sun boost. Victreebel is usually coming in after both Moltres and Tangrowth have beaten the crap out of the other team. It usually doesnt bother getting up a Swords Dance, since by that time everything should be weak enough to be KO'd by a Leaf Blade. However, it can function midgame with Weather Ball to 2HKO standard Registeel in the sun with SR.

Quick list of threats:
Altaria: Without Stealth Rocks, this is really the only Pokemon that Moltres fails to 2HKO. In fact it basically walls every Pokemon on the team except Rhyperior and Hitmontop. I dont like switching Hitmontop into it though.

Honchkrow: It gets easy switches into to Tangrowth/Victreebel. If Rhyperior is gone, I usually have to sac the sweeper it comes in on to bring Arcanine in unscathed. Hidden Power Grass varients just neuter Rhyperior, which is still annoying.

Fire Types (Moltres, Houndoom, Blaziken, Arcanine, Typhlosion): Usually I switch in Rhyperior and hurt it that way. If Sun is up Tangrowth gets to put it to sleep/KO with Earthquake. Moltres is more dificult, since I usually have to pray SR is up and use my own Moltres to beat it. These guys (except the last two, sorta) are huge problems, and really the only reason why I want to move Arcanine-->Altaria.

Rain Teams: Depending on whether (lol) I get up Sun, or my opponent gets Rain up, I can either sweep, or be really scared of Ludicolo. I usually have to wait for Rain to end, and Spam Sucker Punch from Victreebel. Physical varients/Kabutops usually just get walled by Tangrowth, and he puts one of the specailly based ones to sleep. Altaria should help with this a bit.

Hail/SS Teams: These are only dificuly because they can get rid of my sun really easily. The faster I get rid of Snover/Hippotas, the faster I can start hitting then with stab Fire/Grass moves.

Yeah. RMT. :)

Sweepers

Tangrowth: Rock Slide > Earthquake. Yes, you'll be losing coverage on Steel Types, but you still get to smack around Fire, Flying and Bug types. Steel-typed Pokemon are still easily handled by just about every other Pokemon on your team. Makes your life much easier against Honchkrow and Altaria.

Moltres: HP Rock > Air Slash. Fire + Grass covers everything but Fire Types and Altaria. STAB Air Slash on these Pokemon: 112.5 BP. HP Rock on these Pokemon: 140 BP. HP Rock will hit them harder. Yet another check against Fire-types.

Support

Arcanine: Flash Fire > Intimidate You want yet another check against physical attackers? Who're you kidding, haha. You already have 1. Rhyperior with near Max Def. 2. Hitmontop with Intimidate. Better run Flash Fire over Intimidate, 252 HP/252 SpD with Sunny Day, Morning Sun, Flamethrower and HP Rock (AGAIN, I know...)

If that Arcanine doesn't work out, run an Altaria... Heal Bell will greatly benefit your team...

Sweepers

Tangrowth: Rock Slide > Earthquake. Yes, you'll be losing coverage on Steel Types, but you still get to smack around Fire, Flying and Bug types. Steel-typed Pokemon are still easily handled by just about every other Pokemon on your team. Makes your life much easier against Honchkrow and Altaria.

Moltres: HP Rock > Air Slash. Fire + Grass covers everything but Fire Types and Altaria. STAB Air Slash on these Pokemon: 112.5 BP. HP Rock on these Pokemon: 140 BP. HP Rock will hit them harder. Yet another check against Fire-types.

Support

Arcanine: Flash Fire > Intimidate You want yet another check against physical attackers? Who're you kidding, haha. You already have 1. Rhyperior with near Max Def. 2. Hitmontop with Intimidate. Better run Flash Fire over Intimidate, 252 HP/252 SpD with Sunny Day, Morning Sun, Flamethrower and HP Rock (AGAIN, I know...)

If that Arcanine doesn't work out, run an Altaria... Heal Bell will greatly benefit your team...
I'm somewhat skeptical about That new Arcanine, but I'll give it a try. Those Rock moves should help with Honchkrow/Altaria/Fire Pokes problems I have. Thanks. :D

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hello
Keep Arcanines ev spread and nature, standard Wall Breaker Honchkrow is a quite a threat to this team and Arcanine provides a solid check.
Go ahead with Rock Slide on Tangrowth.
For Hitmontop, go with Foresight over Stone Edge. Guaranteed spin is needed to allow Moltres and Arcanine to constantly switch, which you will be doing a lot to keep the sun up. Hitmontop has no business staying in on Moltres and Honch anyway.
I'd prefer to keep Air Slash on Moltres as it provides a solid stab move, and HP Rock doesn't turn any 2HKOs into OHKOs, except for Moltres.
Overall gl.

Ehm, First of all I want to say that Rockblast on Rhyperior would be better then Stone-edge because it can break subs of certain pokemon that think you will switch out
*cough moltres*
Also im offended your not using the most awesome sunnyday special sweeper.
I would put in exegutor over Victreebel
Using the typical Specs set on smogon or maybe a LifeOrbed version.

Ehm, First of all I want to say that Rockblast on Rhyperior would be better then Stone-edge because it can break subs of certain pokemon that think you will switch out
*cough moltres*
Also im offended your not using the most awesome sunnyday special sweeper.
I would put in exegutor over Victreebel
Using the typical Specs set on smogon or maybe a LifeOrbed version.
It's more of a preference thing than anything, but I would also go Eggy > Victreebel, especially considering that you lack special offense besides Moltres itself. Obviously, you should go LO>Specs, because switching is the last thing such a fast-paced team wants to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)