UU team, first attempt at this!

So since I'm new to the strategic stuff, this is my first attempt at building a team, that's why I'm asking for help here! =P

Overview :

OMASTAR @ Leftovers
Nature : Bold
Ability : Shell Armor
EVs : 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
-Surf
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Beam

Omastar is my lead Pokémon, a spiker. In my opinion spikers can really be useful, since they can give out good damage with Spikes/Stealth Rock. The reason I chose Spikes over Toxic Spikes is that there are a lot of Poison type Pokémon in UU. Plus, with its good defense stat, it should be able to place them before switching. Ice Beam is there to take care of flying/grass types, while Surf takes care of rock/ground Pokémon like Rhyperior or fire types like Moltres.

VENUSAUR @ Leftovers
Nature : Calm
Ability : Overgrow
EVs : 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb

I chose to play Venusaur more defensively; leech seed gives it a nice HP boost when combined to leftovers. Sleep powder is always useful to put some dangerous stallers out of use for a moment. Plus, since it has a good attack stat, it can still do good damage to Pokémon like Cloyster with Energy Ball. I put Sludge Bomb as my other move, so it can deal damage to other grass type Pokémon, but I would like to change it if possible.

ARCANINE @ Leftovers
Nature : Adamant
Ability : Intimidate
EVs : 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
-Extremespeed
-Flare Blitz
-Morning Sun/Roar
-Toxic/Iron Head

Extremespeed and Flare Blitz are obvious choices for Arcanine. I don't know what I should choose between Morning Sun and Roar, although I do have a preference for Roar. Morning Sun would probably be a good choice if used with Iron Head, since I could heal the recoil damages, but then again it becomes pretty useless if I give Leftovers to my Arcanine. If I pick the other choice, I could Roar out potential threats like Rhyperior or any water/rock/ground type. I like to use toxic, so that's why chose it.

DONPHAN @ Leftovers
Ability : Sturdy
EVs : 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Assurance
-Ice Shard
Donphan's attack stat's good, so it thought I'd use that. Ice shard is a good choice since I'll be able to take care of a Venusaur/Rhyperior, or any other grass/flying/ground type. Rapid Spin can clear my field of any spikes, so that's a given. I can deal good damage to psychic/Ghosts like Misdreavus with assurance. Finally, earthquake is there to deal massive damage to poison types, since there are a lot in UU, as well as electric/fire types. And it can deal massive damage to most of the pokémon as well.

POLIWRATH @ Leftovers
Ability : Water Absorb
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Substitute/Focus Punch/Waterfall / Ice Punch

Poliwrath is my Subpuncher, so obvious strategy here : Substitute, then Focus punch, since it gives me a free turn to do that. I think it’ll be helpful, especially if Aggron or Ambipom comes out. Chansey and Clefable would be no threats if I could focus punch them too. Ice punch is there to cover for a Venusaur that could come out, and Waterfall is there to deal damage to an Arcanine/Ninetales. Overall it has good stats, so that’s why I chose it

DRAPION @ Life Orb
Nature : Jolly
Ability : Sniper
EVs : 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Night Slash
-Cross Poison/Pursuit
-Earthquake

Drapion is one of my personal favorites, so I just had to put it in my team. Since Poliwrath's weak to psychic attacks, I can just switch it in because it won't take any damage; they are good "partners". Pursuit would be a good choice since I could use it against weak foes who try to escape to finish them. Sword dancing on a switch would make Cross Poison stronger, wich would make it easier to kill other pokémon though, so I'm not sure which one to choose. And since Drapion doesn't have a lot of weaknesses, it can switch on pretty much anything.​

I also thought of putting Donphan as my lead, and changing Omastar for Lanturn... would that be a good choice? Lanturn has resistance to Water/Ice/Electric types wich can be pretty useful in battle. I thought I could play it as a special tank, with Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Heal Bell as a moveset, would that be a good choice?

So has I said, I'm new at strategy and EV pokémon, so I don't know much... but that's the exact reason I subscribed here, so I could learn from experienced trainers! So please give me feedback on my team, and advices on how I could make it better, It'll be more than appreciated! =)

Venasaur-with access to light screen you might consider switching to bold and flipping the defense evs.
Arcanine-if your going for a bulkier version, i would choose morning sun over roar and toxic over iron head, maybe even WoW.
Donphan-he has no evs listed ^_^
Drapion-I use this drapion alot and it could work better if you use salac berry over lo and substitute over poison fang.

I hope my suggestions helped :]

I do want a bulkier version for my Arcanine, so I'll try the moveset you proposed. I don't know what to choose between Toxic or WoW, I guess I'll just see, or try both.
As for Drapion, I never intended to teach it Poison Fang, so I guess you meant Cross Poison =p I'll try this too.
I never really thought about using Venusaur like that, since I'm not too sure about using light screen and all, but I might as well give it a try, even if I prefer to use it as a support pokemon.
And I fixed Donphan's EVs ^^

Hello

By looking at your team I notice that you are fairly weak to Rock Polish Torterra as can can an RP in with relative ease and OHKO'ing most of your team with either Earthquake or Wood Hammer. You're current best option now is to use Arcanine's Intimidate ability to lower Torterra's Atk stat but their isn't much else you can do. Ice Shard, although 4x effective will barely scratch Torterra due to Torterra great HP and Def stat, not to mention the weak Base Power if Ice Shard (40). You have Poliwrath with Ice Punch on your team but after an RP he will be outspeed and OHKO'ed by Wood Hammer. The solve this problem I suggest Tangrowth over your current Venusaur. He can provide your team with a counter for both RP Torterra and DD Feraligatr (although Poliwrath is a decent counter as well) as well as proving you with a powerful physical wall to take an Earthquake or 2.​

Tangrowth @ leftovers/ relaxed/ Chlorophyll
252 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Def

- Power Whip
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power (ice)
- Leech Seed/ Sleep Powder​

--> With Power Whip in it's moveset it makes a great counter for Feraligatr and even against pokemon popular in Rain teams (Kabutops, ...). Hidden Power (ice) is like mentioned before a great way of dealing with Rock Polish Torterra. With Synthesis you can keep Tangy nice and healthy to wall even more. In the last moveslot, you can go with eiter Leech Seed or Sleep Powder, whatever you think would benefit you best. Of course you can make Tangrowth special as well if you are doubtfull about replacing a special based Venusaur with a physical Tangrowth. it's EV's spread would be the same then, only with those 6 EV's in SAtk. Power Whip could be replaced with Leaf Storm and his nature could be a Bold one. Tangrowth can also be a great counter to the oh so familiar Rain Dance teams that are pretty common. You don't have to worry about loosing your Toxic Spikes absorber as well since you still have Drapion who can do that job as well.

Okay my next suggestion is concerning your Arcanine. You should use Moonlight instead of Roar so Arcanine has some reliable recovery at hand. And since weather teams are not so common (Rain Dance teams are the ones you most likely will face). Toxic as also a great option on him (instead of Iron Head) so you can poison potential counter like Milotic so they will be crippled for the rest of the match.

My previous suggest left you without a (Phazer) and since you are using all kinds of entry hazzards I don't think that would be a good idea. Therefore I suggest using the Rest-talk version of Drapion. This bulkier version will suit your team better then an all offensive one.

Drapion @ leftovers/ careful/ battle armor
252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD

- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Whirlwind

--> Drapion makes a very decent special wall. Mismagius could only deal about 20% with Thunderbolt or Hidden Power (fighting) and you can scare it away with a powerfull STAB'ed Crunch. With Rest you can get rid of received status and taken damage and With Sleep Talk your not just some set-up bait. The last moveslot is your choice, Whirlwind can be used for more phazing.​

I hope these suggestions helped!​

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

For my Arcanine, I had already planned to choose Toxic over Iron Head. I think it's a really good idea to use my Drapion as a special wall. This way, I still have a Pokémon to phaze. I would never have thought about that, so thanks! =)

As for Tangrowth, by the way you explained it it really seems like a good thing to change my Venusaur for it, so I'll do that and see how it'll work out.

Thanks again!

EDIT : Another problem on my team would be that I don't have any electric attack, does it really matters if I don't?

Bumping this since I'm having a lot of trouble with Milotic, any suggestions? I don't have any electric attack in my team, so I guess that's the problem. Lanturn as a lead, maybe?

Bumping this since I'm having a lot of trouble with Milotic, any suggestions? I don't have any electric attack in my team, so I guess that's the problem. Lanturn as a lead, maybe?
Hmm, Milotic doesn't really seem to be a problem honestly. Drapion only takes around 30% from Surf which is the best Milotic could do. Tangrowth does great against the versions without Ice Beam and Poliwrath does well against does without Hidden Power (grass).

A suggestion I'd like to make, which also reduces Milotic's annoyance to this team, is giving Poliwrath Encore over Ice Punch, and giving it 100 Speed ev's. This allows it to outspeed things like Claydol and Milotic with 8 Speed ev's. Normally Poliwrath would switch into Surf and be completely decimated by Hidden Power Grass after. But this way you can actually set up on Milotic by being faster and Encoring the Surf. Encore is also just a great move to have no matter the team, so it should prove useful.

And it might just be my anti-metagame bone kicking but Donphan could use 8 Speed ev's. This way you can defeat other Donphan one on one and outspeed other base 50's instead of speed tying. I don't think switching those 8 ev's elsewhere would cause much of a catastrophe. This can also apply to Venusaur and Omastar.

That's it for now good luck! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)