Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk

how can i not post after that intro? i want to talk more about my masters experience with entei than uupl, but nonetheless he's a demon everyone should consider. entei fulfills a very useful niche of corebreaking physical fire type, in a tier where everyone runs amoonguss/tangrowth+scizor, where if you guess wrong and sacred fire an incoming fire resist salamence, it's doing 44-52% with a 50% to burn. e-speed destroys a lot of more offensively minded teams as well. sleep talk is for amoonguss even though guss is pretty bad right now i think, where everyone is just prepped out the wazoo for it. i prefer adamant to help out with some nice rolls (see mence, for one) but also overall better e-speed output. anyway i used him a fair amount in end-tour masters games as well as 1x in uupl and i know people are starting to catch onto the firedog, which is awesome to see.

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Moonblast

used this vs pdt in winner finals, works nicely to take stuff like keldeo/prima but also amoonguss/slowbro if they hard in (save for side-shell-arm variants). it also has pretty decent offensive output w/ no investment, and can still whip out moonblasts for fun. lefties+tect is underrated longevity too. whirlpool also helps just minimize plays your oppo can make since trapped and all.

Regidrago @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sleep Talk

amoonguss counter, blows away teams with dragon resist scizor. wont say much beyond run some calcs and see how crazy this thing is. used it a couple of times to good success.

i miss stuff like vicky and zera, but the meta still has stood well nearly all year. uutls/community is mostly cool too.

Just two sets for BWUU, nothing for you lazy bums who can't stand the thought of building actual teams.

Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Blue Flare
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic

I didn't use it in UUPL but SW did use it in UU Snake finals against Lop Kicks on the squad I made for him. The only outstanding move is Wisp and that's about it. Nice to cripple these Tect Laxes that are almost the go to set for it these days. Also may lead them to think you lack GK so they maybe are tryna stay in with their Rhyperior or Swampert thinking a burn is something I can live with but nope. Other than that, you can probably run Focus Blast over Psychic to at least got a move to hit Umbreon with if you are in an iffy situation where Wisping it wouldn't do much.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

It's not about the set itself, it's just that I've ran HP Fire on it. Quite nice move to carry on it if you need it to break Bronzong as well as Ferroseed down at the same time, something you don't achieve with HP Fighting. The only thing you miss out on dealing damage against is Empoleon but you've got 5 more squad members to take care of that fella.

That's about it, didn't really bother tryna come up with new stuff this uupl much, although I did had a couple real crazy squads made with some nice ingredients I've found...

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
some adv stuff, not posting teams since cup is soon + i hated every second of EV wars this tournament. really glad to get back into the tier tho after a long break, rip hypno tho :(

SAVE YOUR TEARS (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Counter / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

cool clef set, great natural overall bulk/reliable recovery/one of the only twave users in the tier and can check a majority of the unboosted metagame as long as it isnt tox'd. Should probably run tbolt over counter since most people expect the counter but regardless its a really good tech. Used it against bouff and it did a lot of work so its a good mon i swear!

Kangaskhan (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Toxic
- Rest
- Counter

another counter set i labbed a bit but never ended up bringing. EVs are just the standard bulky ones since i never actually went into the calc for it but it wins the kanga v kanga wars that happen 99% of games where they just double edge eachother once then switch into a rock type.

RAP SAVED ME (Vileplume) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Moonlight

S+++ set, wins against so many mons its ridiculous. Plume is broken asf, dont need to say much more

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Here's every team I used:

Week 1 - vs 100%GXE (W)
:ss/alakazam: :ss/zeraora: :ss/krookodile: :ss/amoonguss: :ss/skarmory: :ss/slowking:
Naming theme: "Worlds" by Porter Robinson
https://pokepast.es/edbe7009a0ea904f

Pretty standard Zera/Zam spikes that was kind of popular at the time with a CB Lash Out Krookodile for some extra spice and heat. It had a naskarm for reasons I can't quite recall, maybe I had Azumarill paranoia? Idk. This was cool because it was before the whole Safety Goggles trend popped of so I got to feel like a trendsetter. Go me. It's also the only team I won with.

Week 2 - vs odr (L)
:ss/kyurem: :ss/zarude: :ss/magnezone: :ss/rhyperior: :ss/amoonguss: :ss/noivern:
Naming theme: Neopets Villains
https://pokepast.es/7b78a52e9af3f9f9

I was absolutely convinced DragMag would be crazy in this tier so I decided to make something with it. Unfortunately my opponent thought of the exact same thing and also had a backup Steel-type that my Magnezone wasn't able to trap due to some poor play on my part, so I took a pretty swift L. I stand by the fact that this team was really good but it was not good in the mirror.

Week 3 - vs beatiful (L)
:ss/pincurchin: :ss/raichu-alola: :ss/skarmory: :ss/krookodile: :ss/slowbro-galar: :ss/jirachi:
Naming theme: "weird!" by YUNGBLUD
https://pokepast.es/c946fc0f5e678d56

Redux of a terrain team from last year's meta, featuring Safety Goggles Raichu because I thought it'd be a great Amoonguss check... but you can't sleep things in Electric Terrain and that slipped my mind so lmao. I made some crucial misplays in this game, primarily assuming the Mamoswine was Scarf because I miscalced some earlier damage on my Krookodile (forgot about Intimidate) and then it OHKOed my Slowbro which had a good shot to win the game if I was more patient so yea.

Week 4 - vs Ajna (L)
:ss/primarina: :ss/scizor: :ss/zeraora: :ss/tangrowth: :ss/salamence: :ss/chansey:
Naming theme: "OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES" by SOPHIE
https://pokepast.es/d74ed2d125dfed1d

Literally had 0 Glowbro counterplay, ran into one, got 6-0d from preview lol what a good tier this was

Week 5 - vs Cam (L)
:ss/chandelure: :ss/zeraora: :ss/salamence: :ss/scizor: :ss/tangrowth: :ss/diancie:
Naming theme: "how i'm feeling now" by Charli XCX
https://pokepast.es/9cdecddb0f68de69

Cool team I built around Chandelure which I thought was pretty crazy at the time. I was getting incredibly burnt out on this meta at this point and just wanted something to play my game with so I could take a break. Almost won this game too! Unfortunately I choked right at the end and gave up a 100% win but hey it happens. My tilt was nowhere near as bad from this point forward at least.

Week 7 - vs LNumbers (L)
:ss/slurpuff: :ss/thundurus-therian: :ss/scizor: :ss/gyarados: :ss/krookodile: :ss/necrozma:
Naming theme: Sonic Colours wisps
https://pokepast.es/1c6df8e4a393cb78

After self-benching Week 6 I was feeling a fair amount more motivated at this point and prepped what I think was a really, really cool webs team this time. Turns out it was pretty much the same as the Brazilian webs going around apparently. Oops! Thundy-T under webs is pretty much broken and I wanted to use that to its fullest. Unfortunately in the actual game I got pretty awful luck in every single regard possible and the tilt spiral began again so I opted to not play any more games for the rest of the season. Oh well.

---

Now for the fun stuff: the things I didn't have the guts to use.

:ss/tauros:
Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Body Slam
- Throat Chop
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Mega threatening breaker that I really wanted to use but couldn't bring myself to do since I couldn't really make a team I liked with it. 2HKOed the entire tier outside of Tangrowth if you clicked the right buttons, Very, very cool mon. Nat ended up making her own team with it and used it later on so she's way cooler than I am for that, but here's the team I came up with.

:ss/stunfisk:
Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Rest

The Zeraora counter. I was using a team with a Zarude which was a notoriously terrible Zeraora check and that mon was so ludicrously broken that you pretty much needed one of Tangrowth/Amoonguss or you'd just lose, so I tried to find something that wasn't one of those to fit on a Zarude team. Ended up coming up with this. It wasn't good but it did the job. Here's the team, and if you want to watch a video of it in action, aim was kind enough to feature it in one of his!

:ss/regidrago:
Regidrago @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sleep Talk

Nat showed this guy off above but I had to give him his own section anyway. At the time Primarina was down horrendous and Fairy-types in general were pretty much nonexistent, and with the only real Dragon resist in the tier being Scizor, I had to give this thing a try. It was SO impressive how good it was and I spammed the shit out of him in tests but then chickened out and didn't bring him to my real game, but hey I ran into a Tapu Bulu anyway so. Here's what I came up with.

:ss/kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Eject Pack
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 152 Atk / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

I never liked how frail the standard offensive SR Kommo-o felt, so I came up with this at some point when talking to Kitten Milk. I ended up making this team with it which I didn't end up using or testing a whole lot but I think it might've had some potential. Anyway, I now think Eject Pack is Kommo-o's best set overall and by far the best item on offensive SR Kommo-o since it helps a ton with longevity and still keeps up momentum. Great mon even despite the Primarina spam.

:ss/indeedee:
Indeedee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

This thing was super cool because it was like, the only mon that revenge killed boosted Kommo-o, Scizor and Zeraora in a single slot. I think it's probably still quite good tbh but I never ended up making a ton of use of it because building teams without Scizor at the time was quite difficult but you can't rly BP things in Psychic Terrain so yea. Here's a quick Psychic spam I made with it at the time, didn't test it much but yea.

Finally, here are some teams I made for teammates that they ended up using. They were a lot better than I was and I'm glad I got to support them and make it work. Click on the sprites for the pastes!

Had a lot of fun despite how tired of this tier I ended up getting, hoping for another fun one next year. o7

Week 1 vs beatiful :

https://pokepast.es/034896d919048f60

I use specs mence for the first week, and despite the presence of a chansey, this thing took 3 kills.
It's a nice way to lure rhyperior and rotom-heat with hpump but it's also a cool breaker

Week 6 vs basaninho :

https://pokepast.es/d01ba1f4e2048a8a

I use rest talk obst volturn with cb zor and u-turn thundurus vs basa.
I made several variants of this team with np thundy and boots zor, or even cb zor + np thundy, and all these versions worked well in tests. But I liked uturn thun, it's a powerful pokemon and a set you don't see much, it allowed me to bring my obsta back for free on pokemons that thundy doesn't touch, like Chansey. Jolly is mandatory to pass rotoms and moltres, but the ada version would have allowed me to 2hko buzzwole.

Week 7 vs Umbry :

https://pokepast.es/24e3e20ded2c468c

I would have liked to show the potential of this team against something else than stall, but anyway. I used sub + king shield + 2 aegi attacks, a very nice way to break the teams that use Amoonguss to manage aegi because with 0 IVs in attack and a modest nature, foul play does not break the sub.
The gbro set is special, it's an AV set to come on salamence for free, hurricane making less than 33%. evs in spa are adjusted also to be sure ohko offensive salemence with ice beam. It is also able to hold shadow ball of aegi specs after rocks.

252 SpA Salamence Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Assault Vest Slowbro-Galar: 105-124 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- 43.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
76 SpA Slowbro-Galar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 336-396 (101.5 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Assault Vest Slowbro-Galar: 300-354 (76.1 - 89.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Apart from that, I didn't use anything very "fun". I'll just show some sets I could have used :

Kommo-o @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

WAll completely Amoonguss

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Hit like a truck and faster than moltres

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Ice Shard
- Substitute

Sub is fun

Cobalion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Stone Edge
- Close Combat / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Another way to abuse Amoongus

that's all for me, see ya

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
https://pokepast.es/d83476151dfe64cb SM offense 3atk cm lati + offensive magg
i'll do w.e. accel ask me to do so heres what i used week 7 iirc. viv called it bad or awful idr but vivalospride sucks at the game.
heat offense built around brokens i really like it very cool team theres a mowtom alas but necessary evil.
you are welcome accel

also dropping a cool conk team i built for uh y game against askov needs a revamp but looks viable to me also i used specs clanger week 1 this is a proof that Adaam and i are very ahead of the meta and own the tier (stole the set from hs).
https://pokepast.es/87d28893a0fc8b3e conk sylv balance
1620602963548.png

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
SM
1620602352175.png

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Pursuit

I don't think this has been posted anywhere before but I could be wrong. This UUPL I used more sand teams (2) than the rest of my life combined, and a big reason for the lack of past usage is it seems as if sand teams will always have a spooky mu against something really relevant, and in the case of the team I used week 1, it was Latias. Crunch Mega Aero as opposed to Ice Fang or whatever else made me feel much safer in that specific matchup and Aqua Tail gives some pretty decent coverage alongside it and the other givens in Stone Edge and Pursuit. It isn't anything groundbreaking but getting an unexpected leg up in common interactions like this can go a long way in best of 1s especially.

252 Atk Tough Claws Aerodactyl-Mega Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 256-302 (85 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(or a bit of sand chip)

1620602804129.png

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Water]

I've always been a bit of an SM birds fan in general, most notably with Moltres back in the day. Mega Pidgeot was something I'd been keen on like way back but it wasn't until it was legitimately threatening in a bunch of test games TSR used it against me that it was officially back on my radar. It turns out that not worrying about missing all your moves or getting OHKOd by rocks are pretty cool aspects in its favor over Moltres these days, and I was not disappointed. Against bog standard teams, this thing has a ridiculously high ceiling. The Speed tier is honestly really really nice, especially with more and more cheating going on when it comes to Mega Manectric natures. Chances are there'll be one mon max that outspeeds this thing, and it immediately threatens a lot of crucial mons: Sciz, Amoonguss, basically anything mildly weakened, etc. More specifically, I decided to tech on HP Water when I used it week 2 because to be frank I don't think Roost matters at all since in most cases you'd rather just be attacking. After fucking around with things like HP Rock for Rotom-H and Mega Aero or HP Grass for Rhyperior, I had sudden realization that HP Water hits everything and is better in every way. But yeah, free slot and it gives Pidg more leeway against its common 'answers'.

252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hidden Power Water vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 234-276 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hidden Power Water vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 128-152 (42.6 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hidden Power Water vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 142-168 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

1620603435795.png

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Yeah yeah this set is cursed as fuck and not 'optimal' when it comes to consistency and all that, but it's one of those sets I don't mind much in a best of one setting. It kinda boils down to Trick being a stupidly good move no matter the gen, and it made me feel much safer against some possible semi stall type shit since my team loaded up some on the special attackers. On that note, I also had other removal options + additional speed so I didn't need much of Starmie's usual traits or the Scarf, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Being walled by Amoonguss is pretty cursed but you can trick it too and this type of dumb shit has another application in nuking a very common Scarfdreigon counterlead, so that's dank. Just ignore the fact that Dazzling Gleam is a FUCKING ROLL to kill from full, as I found out in the 1 test it actually came into play, then I proceeded to flame Indigo Plateau for using what I thought to be bulky Scarf Hydreigon. It's in your favor still by a lot but cmon Starmie. Other mons you can trick include like Empoleon and defensive fairies if there's anyone who still uses those. In general, crippling usual defensive staples has a very high reward ceiling in the right setting and it's nice to throw in dumb shit like this from time to time.

ORAS
1620603951402.png

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Thunderbolt / many other things
- Trick

bzing

hs

Banned deucer.

Gardevoir (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
- Taunt / Thunder Wave / Healing Wish / Knock Off / Thunder Wave

Had the idea to come up with this when Highways showed me this awful team with scarf garde during latias meta and I thought that it would be a pretty cool mon to use after Victini got booted out of the tier, it has great special attack, better than average speed tier, and great utility thanks to Trace and access to a wide variety of moves, such as these that are slashed. Taunt shuts down any sort of set up sweepers (i.e Azumarill, Gyarados) or recovery move against more defensive oriented teams. Thunder Wave is cool to cripple any defensive answer / pivot trying to play the guessing game (i.e Rachi). Healing Wish is a good option to make use of mons that will be consistently taking chip while trying to make progress, like Sub SD Kommo-o in the team that we brazilians spammed the most in the tournament. Knock Off helps against stall, removing items from stuff like AV Tangrowth, AV Glowbro and Eviolite Chansey, and it's just a indispensable move to have in Boots: The Metagame overall, the more you have it the better. Will-O-Wisp is probably the least preferred option here, but it lets you stay in front of stuff like Rhyp so you can take one hit comfortably and then switch back, but I don't think there is any incentive to use it over Tuononda. It's probably one of the best anti-cheese options out there, as it has Prankster Taunt vs Grimmsnarl, can trace Volt Absorb vs Thundy-T, and just has the coverage / speed to do whatever it wants to if handled correctly, so give it a try!

+

Tangrowth @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Nature Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Synthesis

Indeedee @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Expanding Force
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

I was spending my morning watching this SPL game going on and saw that Tang blowing up through Garchomp turn 1 and then dealing a 60~% damage to Magearna, I thought it was heat and I made this Psy spam team that mncmt used vs Sacri' w1 alongside Indeedee and broken Zammer, because it could lure Amoonguss out, which would otherwise be kinda annoying to switch into, and it almost worked out wonderfully in game, just barely missing the OHKO vs Tangrowth as mncmt had used a variant that wasn't fully invested in SpAtk and turned out to be a roll unfortunately, but it was surely a valuable asset to the team. Using a spread of 252 HP / 240 SpA / 16 Spe was an option too, as it always took one hit from Zam and KOd back with Leaf Storm, but I valued the speed more to outspeed Conk / Sylv / Prim. S/o to Random/Niko or whoever came up with this.

Tornadus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot / Heat Wave / Superpower / Grass Knot / Taunt

Used this in the g1 of my series vs CBU as I had seen that the Flying resists he used to run were very easy to wear down with Knock Off / Heat Wave, and I opted to go for Superpower in case I faced Lycanroc so I could risk the roll if needed. It can also use Heat Wave to secure the KO against Scizor, weakened Rachi or Aegi, Grass Knot to pick up Rhyperior / Mamoswine more safely or Taunt (with Prankster) to shut down cheese. Overall a very underrated threat and I hope it gets used more, not only because it has its benefits over Moltres, but it must be good since it got me my one (of the bo3 that I still lost) and only win of the entire season LOOOL.

Here is some of my stuff that was used by me, my teammates or someone else throughout the tournament (click to access the paste):

(Also used by beatiful in Week 4 vs Cam, W)

(Also used by mncmt vs. Finchinator in Week 4 and Luthier vs. 100% GXE in the same week, both resulting in a W)

Was a blast to play/manage this tournament (even if I went winless), wish we could've performed better but that's just how it goes sometimes. Was super fun, thanks to all of my brazilian friends, the gringos who couldn't understand shit we were talking about but still remained in the chat helping us, and the other ppl who joined the chat to hang around / armchair / support us, really appreciate you all and this tour wouldn't be the same without ya. If I had the option to go back in time l still would've done all the stuff that I did (except for buying Highways for 22k).

Last edited:
Hey, I was the designated KSt3ve of this TDK draft. For all managers and aspirants, don't do this; I'm old and bad, the fact that it almost kind of worked out is sheerly a product of luck and misplaced good faith. Eager new players are super important to drafts like this on every level of competition, do some research and let them play!

I didn't loath the experience though (except for the actual playing part), and UU at this point is perhaps the most interesting current gen tier in spite of my failing to truly 'lock in' after the latest tier shifts. That said, I'm surely not going to be playing this tier until possibly the next UUPL, and feel in no way compromised by sharing whatever teams and ideas I thought were neat throughout my time building. Apologies in advance if I assign credit to the incorrect party, this is 99% outsider perspective and I'm not as in touch with the scene as most of y'all.

DD Kyurem Balance | Game 1 / Game 2
This was probably the most used team during the stint in the meta where it was legal, and it's more-or-less a totally unabashed matchup fish. In the initial stages of this tour, I viewed DD Kyurem as such a potent wincon that I went about building this in a manner I personally thought to be a bit self-satirizing in the lengths it takes to set up the sweep. Practically everything here is assembled solely for remaining stable long enough to position and trap the pertinent steels, burn the Amoonguss (so that it can't even effectively Foul Play as a deterrent to boosting, saving you PP), etc etc. I've had folks complain about the Scizor set and I agree, it is not a generally good set but it fulfills the needs of the team here and that's what is important to keep in mind throughout. Chandelure, primarily Specs Infiltrator, and the right Thundurus-Therian can prove problematic to the team, but by and large everything funnels in in such a way that you can line up the right conditions and let the ridiculous maneuvering power of Kyurem do the rest. Stoked it rose up.

Double Fighter BO | Game 1 / Game 2
Built with inspiration from a team Talah made to play mncmt for semis of the last Snake Draft. The mentality here being that Cobalion frequently overlaps with Kommo-o in its checks (Victini, Special Mence, etc.), and by forcing their hand with an SD set and thereby paralyzing them Kommo-o can fairly effective push through balances. Hatterene was a really interesting highlight to it all, being (to me) such a difficult Pokemon to justify on a team for its typing that doesn't quite work for something that generally operates on taking hits. Here it serves as something of a more immediate payout on the para support the team offers while remaining consistent to the offensive goals of the team, notably applying consistent pressure on pertinent Ghost- and Psychic-types, and providing Spikes deterrent to a bulkier team that opts out of true hazard control. I was really gunning for Cobalion at the time, which like Hatterene is a little unwieldy for being a Steel that doesn't fit well within most folk's parameters of a good balance Steel, but the ability to function as a solid check to all of Scizor / Bisharp / Bulu / Kyurem and having that ability to navigate, say, Mamoswine and Magnezone matchups far better than a lot of Steels affords it a cool niche. In later weeks, mostly in response to the Victini ban, I gave consideration to Assault Vest Hatterene and a nominally more PDef spread of 248 / 80 / 92 / 88 on Rotom as a means of bettering the way the team navigates Scizor and early-game damage somewhat, but ultimately I feel that falls more to personal preference.

Teleport Offense | Beaaa vs Lilburr
Probably my personal favourite take on Slowking into threat I threw together. In application it's the most straightforward thing on the planet, all just positioning and knowing when and how to pull triggers, and man that's fun. Mamo (First Impression Haxorus in earlier drafts) + heavily SpD invested Slowking serve as the sort of 'substitute' for Zeraora on this team as the tool for managing Alakazam, who takes 80% min from Ice Shard, allowing the team to instead look to a bulkier DD Mence for cleanup. I feel like I was more willing to mess with Bulu than most (dumb and dumber), despite frankly not having any kind of epiphany as to ‘fix’ it’s shortcomings. To me it just ended up boiling down to picking its battles and building in accordance with it, because the utility of it and terrain is really neat, and I'm maybe willing to overlook shortcomings like every team incidentally has like three solid checks to it for that.

NP Azelf HO | Star vs Ramolost
Probably the most satisfying Spikes offense I managed to put together this tour. Generally I share what I consider to believe to be the consensus that Stealth Rock is superfluous on HO, but decided to challenge it by way of loading a team up on Knock Off users in a way that ideally doesn’t detract from breaking power in tandem with a hazard setter that can potentially last in longer games. The gist here being that nothing Bisharp, Mew, or Zera might Knock Off, with the exception of occasionally Rotom formes, can come back to bite you in a major way when lining up a sweep, and Mew itself can conceivably last a wee bit longer in the balance matchup and retain utility as a Zam check, Aegi lure, and general throw into passive 'mons for layers type tool. Plot Azelf in a still Zammed tier is maybe stupid, but I found the value of [100% accurate] Fire + Grass coverage to be uniquely valuable in that current landscape, the slight uptick in Defense allows it to live Aegislash Shadow Sneak among other things, not to mention the maneuverability granted in navigating Ground-types with a Zeraoara and nothing EV'd to take hits really. Speaking of, did you know 8 Def ensures Zera always lives Knock Off + CC from other Jolly variants? Wow!

Chansey Offense | vs tlenit
I needed to touch on this at least a little, because I had a mild to severe Chansey fixation for a time during this tour and everyone refused to win with the Sun so I'm forced to go with this one. In truth I did really dig on this though, and it allowed me to scratch that itch for those wild Chansey Electric offenses players like Ciele and Will of Fire were utilizing to incredible effect for a time during SM OU. In premise, teams like this are a bit tricky, because they do ultimately require a level of proactivity not typically associated to that of Chansey teams, but I find the kinda oppressive game they can play to be such a tantalizing top end that I couldn't not give it a shot. CB Bish being the payout of choice felt very in vogue given its rising popularity in OU at the time, but it did somewhat overlap in usefulness here given most Knock absorbers weren't prepared to be taking the kind of hits it was doling out, and most of the actual Dark resists really weren't keen on switching in. Of course this game itself gave a good opportunity to spotlight the Scarf Kommo-o, which was rad given how frequently I was allotting SR duties to Scarfers in my personal assessment of their value in the average game.

Veil | Star vs Marcop
Being forced to look over these I realize just how often I ended up throwing HO at Star, purely coincidence though. I post this mostly out of surprise it's so deeply relegated behind Grimmsnarl screens; not to say such teams are bad, one was put together for finals, but I feel like a whole lot of utility is being overlooked in the decision. Both screens in one turn is great, as is Safeguard and Encore/Hypnosis for finding that truly 'free' switch for a sweeper. The hail is itself a massively useful tool for acquiring chip and neutralizing rain if and when it comes up, given typically that's a very weird matchup to navigate for screens. The sets themselves, barring a few EV tweaks and the like, are purely standard, I just want to see some diversity in cheese frankly.

SubSD Cobalion Balance | Beaaa vs Serene Grace
Our semis prep was uncharacteristically humble after peddling cheese for the bulk of the regular season, and this one was probably my personal favourite. As Ark mentioned, the team is much akin to those being used in the last UUPL, and it totally is but I feel like it works? Serene had in his five games thus far managed to bring the same exact team* (*=not literally the same team, but the exact same framework oftentimes occupied by the same mons), and Bea id'd Cobalion as a point of interest. Incineroar is sneakingly great right now I feel, having the threat of the Fire stab present alongside Toxic to me makes it such a stellar Pokemon at knocking off all the Pokemon you really want to see knocked off, and after piecemeal-ing these fragmented responses to Aegislash I did really want to have an obscenely sturdy answer to that now. I'd also like to plug Celebi while I'm here: it's got a lot of cool utility options, hard check to a bunch of dangerous mons at this time, for all intents and purposes the mid ground between a regen Grass and Zarude. Calm HDB sets are probably my fave overall, but for the sake of this particular team the utility scarfer is pretty great too, regulating items is too huge in the balance game. There's a lot of flexibility in the minor details of this team, effectively you could swap the 'final' move of each of the last four 'mons listed (Hydro being the effective fourth on 'Mence here, which I like where you can afford it > DM for being able to effectively 2HKO Rotom-H and better pressuring Rhyperior and Moltres) and everything would function more or less as originally intended. What I settled on was what I deemed the most consistent, but do what you want really.

Plain Balance
My favourite team put together for finals, though it ultimately wasn't used. The goal here was basically a no frills, consistently good team for lax to pilot vs IP, and while it was turned down in favor of a team with some more immediate pressure I did still end up really liking it. Aromatherapy Weezing adds a fold to Toad balances I really like for being able to not only allow you to not simply settle for stuffing Rotom-A in exchange for status, but reactively punish the 'free' turn it yields to Zarude as well. The approach the team takes in setting up its win is gradual, practically semi-stall-esque, but for the most part I feel it has the tools to navigate most matchups within reason. Totally untested though afaik, never been one for that. Feel free to prove it's actually awful, idk!

Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 172 HP / 144 SpA / 16 SpD / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Sleep Talk

A set I was toying around with, mostly on (surprise) Chansey Offense as an offensive tool to both significantly payout on Teleports and soft-check Sub Aegi, Moltres to an extent, and Roost Scizor. A non-zero amount of teams just fold to Boomburst, given 248/0 Scizor takes something like 48% min.

Cresselia (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance

I was super high on utility Scarf mons during this period, as speed boosting sweepers felt incredibly out of vogue for the most part and being able to slap a Choice Scarf on a Steel or a Rotom or what have you is the greatest thing one can ask for until they give you a Scarf back. I used this on an even-by-my-standards pretty gimmicky Vincune team vs odr that didn't quite pan out as I'd have hoped (which is 100% on me, don't take that as a redirection of anything), but it can work on viable teams too I bet.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon / Close Combat
- Head Smash

Very much an Aegislash for HO and not a whole lot else. Head Smash damn near kills you in the process, but it flat OHKO's Rotom-H and both Moltres', which can be huge in setting up a Psychic, Scizor, Zarude, etc. in the endgame. Bea played a game in the final week of the regular season using it, but was met with a very proactive BO using both defensive Kommo-o and Rotom-H, so it basically got nothing done :(

Scizor
Ability: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 112 SpD / 220 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Taking mild inspiration from LC's 'sheet breaker' Mienfoo, the goal of this spread is basically to punish roll knowers and calcers by presenting a Scizor that by all accounts should be slower than an Aegislash, only to have it outpace and OHKO with Knock Off vs Blade forme. Obviously there is significant amount of immediate power lost in this process, but I find Aegi to be worth that kind of consideration frankly. Didn't clarify an item because it isn't truly contingent on any given one for the set's success, though Leftovers w/good hazard control is the platonic ideal I think.

only thing i made that kind of worked out was this for dpp uu

Blastoise @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam

The idea is pretty simple, it comes in on Donphan/Steelix on the switch or to RK something, hits hard then bluffs choice for the easy spin. Don't get feraligatr'd though make sure to have some backstops for that (or use hp elec over ice beam if you'd rather just carry registeel for grasses).

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
sup gamers, y'all already know i'm retired as fuck and i obviously didn't have the time to seriously invest in mons, as evidenced with my relatively spotty activity during this uupl. but during some of the spare time i've had, i dabbled in the one tier i know best (and have gotten progressively more washed up in) called oras and got some games here and there with my teammates (and mindnight). that being said, here are some sets i woulda utilized or considered if i had been in any shape to contend in some matches.

Crobat @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- idgaf
- idgaf

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt/Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

imo yall should explore this a lot more instead of defaulting to the pussy ass shit that is the itemless max hp set. it legit fucks over most teams on preview, you actually ohko conkeldurr instead of hitting like a wet noodle with acrobatics and getting your face smashed in by a choice banded ice/thunder punch, and if your opponent is dumb enough to switch an un-mega'd aero into a brave bird, he/she is risking a speed tie just to be able to threaten bat lmaooooooo (sky plate needs rocks up for that to happen though). you want proof of this, just watch Kink's week 1 match where he utilized brave bat to great effect r1 and completely wrecked house with it. nuff said

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 240 HP / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Fire Blast
- Protect

ngl this set was inspired by kink, which i had the luxury of stealing during a suspect in sm (m-venu i think?). idea was to originally counteract the fuck out of scarf krook, and honestly it works pretty decently here too despite that set being almost irrelevant. it puts heavy pressure on florges/sylveon, and it can still serve as a cool scout against cb krooks, as evidenced by some calcs below. if you can run this on a status spamming team, i'm sure there will definitely be some nice matchups where you can straight up obliterate your opponents with hex spam.

252 Atk Choice Band Krookodile Pursuit vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 200-236 (62.3 - 73.5%)
252 Atk Choice Band burned Krookodile Pursuit vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 100-118 (31.1 - 36.7%)
after two turns of leftovers (wisp and protect), you 100% survive this as long as you start at max hp and don't get crit

80+ SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 255-301 (77 - 90.9%), dies after two turns of burn

anyways, back to my retirement hole i go. peace

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
yo yo yo, last UUPL occurred when i was just getting into competitive mons - really enjoyed watching it and was glad i could participate this time. thanks to cbu+liam for drafting me and putting me in, it was fun talking UU this season. I def enjoy hanging out in the uu discord, the uu community is one of the most active and this tour was very enjoyable.

onto the actual content here....

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.31.28 AM.png

https://pokepast.es/37d499bf65f51836
i used this team basically every round of open, alternated between trying lycan / nihi / rock polish rhyperior in the last slot but settled on the dog. curse gastro is a really cool endgame wincon, thundurus and lycan + spikes are a nightmare to handle. switched around the moves on spikes mew from round to round, think tox is rly cool rn but theres 10000 things u can do even on Spikes mew alone. prim is a bitch to switch into for this ngl, u rly gotta play ur ass off vs it, keep hazards up, etc. but overall i like it. the lycan slot is probably the most change-able if one wanted to incorporate better prim counterplay, im out now but def curious to see what would fit there to handle prim + keep up offensive pressure.

speaking of checking prim + keeping up offensive pressure, ...

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.34.49 AM.png

https://pokepast.es/7d894e0d09ffc4ab
volcanion is a mon i think is v cool rn, offensively checks primarina + provides a water immune. toge is also rly cool to me, i originally had a thund-t but appreciated toge easing the team's ability to switch into special mence. sets werent super optimal tbh, think heal bell toge + toxic volc might have been better, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that

====

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.40.47 AM.png
yo this idea i had seems so cool but we never built with it :pirate: so i present neutralizing gas weezing!

ok so in LC Koffing is used offensively against regen teams; basically, mienfoo brings it in on foongus. spatk invested koffing threatens out foongus, and koffing's neutralizing gas stops it from getting regen as it switches out.

sound familiar? here, i think weezing (the regular one, not weezing-galar, since u get a better matchup versus poison attacks + dont lose momentum to scizor) has a legitimate niche.

:weezing:
Weezing @ Safety Goggles / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 220 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Corrosive Gas / Taunt
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes / Pain Split / Will-o-Wisp

yea it has 10000 utility moves so just go crazy in the last slots. investing in spatk lets u actually put a dent in things like Rotom-Wash on the switch, just like with koffing in LC

some cool partners ive thought about for this guy:

:raikou: :thundurus: :thundurus-therian:
:barraskewda: :keldeo: :gyarados:
:mienshao: :cobalion:
:krookodile: :diggersby:
spikes :mew: is also crazy with it ofc

sorry i dont have a team to show off this shit LOL but someone please try it!! i'll build with it once finals ends. one downside tho is that it isnt super useful in HO matchup (well, unless u run tspikes ig) which is increasingly common in this meta.

enjoy!

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
Even with my team not being able to reach playoffs i can say that i had a lot of fun playing this tour so thanks to hs and highways for drafting me this time and for everyone in the team that made this tour an enjoyable experience. Without further ado, i'll go over some of the teams/sets that i/my teammates used in this tour:

week 1 vs meru:

I didn't really know what i wanted to use for week 1 since there wasn't really any relevant information about Meru in the recent UU meta at the point so i decided that i should use alakazam which was the most threatening poke in the tier at the moment, alongside momentum users that could bring alakazam safely as much as i could. My main choices for this role were scarf zarude and flip turn primarina, both being able to force amoonguss in and u-turn/flip turn into alakazam and start wallbreaking. The rest of the team is pretty standard, being able to cover some stuff that the first three pokes couldn't.

The evs on primarina allows it to take 2 hurricanes from max spa salamence and has enough speed for azumarill, scizor is ev'd to be able to take 2 plasma fists from adamant zeraora while also being able to take 2 thunderbolts from thundurus and lastly the nido evs are enough to avoid the 2hko from lo terrakion cc with enough speed for modest max primarina.

The team ended up weak to zeraora in the long term, often needing to lose rotom's boots/nido lo which could hinder the team significantly but it was still one of my favorite teams at the time and similar structures were used few times later in the tour with subcm prim and rhyp > nido (which helped a bit with the zeraora issue) with terrakion gone

week 2 vs col49:

For week 2 i wanted to use a strong dark type because lax's w1 team lacked a dark resist and while there were dark resists in the others Monster's teams, i felt like they could be overloaded or at worst chipped enough for zarude. Initially i built with cb crawdaunt which either would most likely force lefts from kommo-o to get knocked off or take krook's scarf/kill with crabhammer (kommo-o and krook were the mains dark resist from them) but mncmt ended up liking the team so i decided to make it cb bisharp for my game because i saw it getting some hype in OU and it still could pressure their main dark resists. I ended up changing it to the classic sd set right before the game because i liked its sweeping potential, but going into the game unfortunately i faced a Cobalion which hard stopped both variants of Bisharp, but i ended up getting bailed after a messy game. All things considered i'm still glad that i could play col which is a builder that i look up to because of his creative and effective builds/evs.

I used twave on victini because it could create opportunities vs stuff like slowking and slow down salamence for bisharp/crawdaunt latter in the game for bisharp if i needed to, while scizor/zarude could benefit from bisharp and victini chipping stuff.

week 3 vs ramo (also used by mncmt vs ajna):

I don't really remember if there was a more specific reason but i know that i mainly wanted to try hatterene this week because if i remember correctly his fairy/psychic resist was most of the time scizor and also decided to try thundurus which is a solid breaker. The team didn't end up working quite well in both of the matches that it was used (mostly because it's not as solid imo) but mncmt ended up winning his game with some luck

week 4 vs juno:

For this week i decided that i wanted to use something a bit more different of what i've been using because she knew my usuals building pattern and that at the time i was more prone to use offense/bulky offense so i decided to use something bulkier. Since we agreed on not bringing stuff like cheese and glowbro and also knowing that she hates amoonguss, i wanted to try something with tspikes. Nihilego came into mind as my tspiker idea because it could check stuff like toxic hex chand, sylveon and defog mence. I also decided to use sylveon + helmet gastro because they were defensive pokes that i haven't really used and that could punish some of her usual ways to make progress. The mew wasn't originally flamethrower but i made that last minute change because my teammates pointed out that scizor could potentially be annoying to the team and it was clutch in the match where it allowed me to essencially kill skarm and denying more spikes for her. The team ended up getting the ideal matchup and i just had to mostly be worried about her zeraora since my gastro got caught off guard by a toxic mew so it really got pressured by spikes + toxic damage

I had enough speed evs on nihilego to outspeed Kyurem, def evs to survive one plasma fists from zeraora at full and the rest i put in spdef to check stuff better, salamence had enough atk evs to 2hko chandelure while also outspeeding it.

week 5 vs ksteve:

I went for a more standard team structure this week since i didn't really have any great idea but i noticed that his zeraora check was rhyperior most of the time so i decided to try to use zeraora + hydro pump mence as a lure because rhyp was most of the time his salamence switch too (and i had 0 usage of draco mence). Having zeraora + scizor as speed control, i decided to try cb rocks krook (i think i saw lily using it in w1 and got some inspiration) which could pressure amoonguss + salamence builds and i finished the team with your classic regen core + scizor. Going into the game i ended up facing no rhyperior but instead a super threatening bisharp which was a good pick vs those kind of generic teams.

week 6 vs umbry (teams that i planned to use if i ended up playing):

Another week where i wasn't really creative so i just decided to use something solid overall with some really good poke. I was between using keldeo or glowbro which at the time were the two pokes that were in the radar but not properly preppared for in some teams. The first team was an attempt of making a glowbro team, featuring the same hydro pump mence from the last week which was an ideal partner for psyshock flame glowbro since rhyp is a hard counter for this glowbro variant. Specs sleep talk kommo-o was something that i wanted to use to abuse her amoonguss usage while also freeing my glowbro to use another item instead of safety goggles.

The second team is a pretty standard specs keldeo voltturn trying to break stuff as much as i can with keldeo and then win with either krook (which has a cool sinergy with keldeo since it can potentially knock tang's av) or scizor.

teams used by teammates:

week 2 mncmt vs tdk

The first version of the team that i was gonna bring vs col, it works the same way as the bisharp variant except that it has more immediate power with crawdaunt

week 6 luthier vs serene grace

This team was originally made around just a bunch of ideas that i had that i decided to throw together and it was surprisingly enough working in tests because of its surprise factor so luth decided that he wanted to use it. Although it's mostly just uncommon sets thrown together, the jirachi set was made to lure/weaken most of agility moltres like rotoms and rhyperior, our own cb rhyp being able to pressure rotom-washs and even get kills vs slower teams that rely on av tang/amoonguss to check ground types. Scarf kommo-o was something that i saw col using and i decided that i wanted to use it sometime, which ended up being in this team because most people could assume that it was scarf jirachi + rocks rhyp + setup/specs kommo-o looking at the team until it gets a surprise kill on something that people wouldn't expect to.

unused teams:

( https://pokepast.es/80d16016ba41e601 / https://pokepast.es/ccb5f95ccaa4af8d )

Some variants that i made from my week 1 team with some unusual but potentially effective in some scenarios nidoqueen sets. Scarf Nido could potentially lure stuff expecting to be faster than it but mostly important luring Terrakions. Sucker nidoqueen was something that i actually really wanted to bring because it was a cool lure to alakazam which was a huge threat to the team (and for almost any team tbh) but i ended up going with the regular nidoqueen version because it was more consistent overall.

I saw lax using dd kyurem + magnezone week 1 and i thought that it was actually a pretty cool idea but the lack of dark and ghost resist made me wanna try to make my own version of it, which ended up resulting on this team. I considered to use it later in the tour but even if i thought that the team was fine it never really ended up being my main choice.

Another version of the team that i made for week 4 which features fsight + tail slowking + tspikes which have a cool sinergy together but imo it had some flaws that i didn't really know how to fix so it ended up being discarded.

Some sets that i wanted to try but didn't really end up using:

Aegislash @ Custap Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Steel Beam
- Destiny Bond
- Close Combat

Aegislash most of the time is able to trade a hit with something and surviving at a low health which is perfect to activate custap and potentially getting a second kill latter in the game

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

You can drop leftovers and use safety goggles if you wanna be safer vs sleep inducers and possibly use volt switch > sub to at least threaten stuff like moltres, cool setuper that can be really annoying to deal in certain matchups

Keldeo @ Salac Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Air Slash

I ended up trying to use this set on a screens team when primarina wasn't that hyped and it was super annoying for teams that relied on bulky grasses + scarf krook to deal with it

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Spirit Break
- Fire Punch
- Rest

I actually don't really know how effective this set is since i've only just theoryzed it but i wanted to try after seeing ip using something similar to it in masters, fire punch can potentially lure scizor either for his teammates or for himself to potentially sweep.

Finally i'd like to thank the people that helped me the most to test my stuff throughout the tour, so s/o hs Juno Nat Luthier

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
hello gamers, I got a few pm’s asking whether I’d post here & I was already contemplating it, so here goes. instead of posting everything I used I’ll just highlight some teams/general ideas bc on phone (who’s surprised by now)

Week 1 vs Ajna
9A15E8FB-2E22-4BC3-8F10-A78AE40A13D1.jpeg

Premise of the team was simple: Spikes + Zeraora. Man am I glad we’re out of this shit meta bc it was not fun at all LOL. Spikes Mew was something I hadn’t seen ever up to this point which was pretty surprising to me, Knock + hazards + coverage & amazing bulk on paper just fits sooo many teams, and when you have a Zeraora that infinitely pivots and never dies, the idea seemed brilliant in my head. I thought SubCM Keld was a pretty neat partner here bc 1) no one respected it, 2) everyone spammed FS King, 3) uncommon (at the time) Mew can Knock King/Tang pretty reliably. The game exemplifies how not having a Zeraora alongside FS King can really screw you over. Yep I invented Spikes Mew yw UU + learn to build Adam

Finals vs lax
C3836B68-ECBD-4DF3-900F-58AD0B9DD6BB.jpeg

At this point in the tour I really just wanted to use something I hadn’t explored yet that would be fun to pilot. I tried quite a few things but then settled on the bunny and thought that revisiting Spikes Mew with it could be kinda neat. At first the Mence was a Gyara, which would’ve actually put in a lot of work this game, but Mence was way more consistent in tests. Pretty straightforward idea here too: Wear down everything slowly with hazards + chip from Mew/Rotom for Scarf Bunny / DD Mence to clean late game. Sub Stabs Aegi is also very annoying for a lot of teams to deal with esp with a burned Tang/Guss. Didn’t pull many triggers this game but it was one of the most enjoyable ones this tour for me, and I highly recommend you try this squad out

Week 6 vs Clark
2E937AC0-FCC4-478F-91C1-AE51AA418986.jpeg

Can you tell I like Mew yet? LOL these write-ups are getting kinda long so I’ll try to keep this one shorter. I built this immediately after drops bc Lycanroc was (still is) a huge menace and it’s p much just some VoltTurn around it. My boy Accelgor premiered this before me but used Spikes Mew instead of NP Colbur, which is a pain in the ass for a lot of Scarf Krook builds to beat. No surprise for most of you by now but yeah the cleaning potential Lycan + NP Mew have together is too juicy when supported well, really happy with how this one turned out overall

Semis TB vs ht
39AD05F1-7155-4E8B-8378-07935521444A.jpeg

After cheesing the Smashers in semis they very gladly agreed to no cheese for the tiebreak :p I wanted to use an uncommon mon/set or two here bc I wasn’t sure how up to date my boy Andy was with the meta. I hadn’t really seen much Aegi up to this point which like... why? SBall / Flash / Sub / Tox takes a dump on basically everything if played well, and the Smashers seemed to be relying a lot on Scarf Zarude + Sciz as their answer for it. This set definitely deserves wayyy more usage. This isn’t the most sound BO but the “surprise” factor with AoA lefties Kommo + Aegi can make pivoting into it kinda tough, especially with Spin Star’s late game cleaning capabilities. Gotta play this one aggressively but I had a blast using it

Now on to the fun and balanced stuff!

Week 7 vs mncmt
E7A64B42-31EE-4247-8862-0A802EDD01BF.jpeg

Had to bring out the cheese sooner or later right? Rain didn’t sound all that great on paper but I half expected to run into some cracked HO so I thought it could be a cool bring. It ran into the woat matchup (Calm Prim + AV Tang + fast Electric + Salamence LOL) but I still think Rain has strong perks. Can’t really knock it until you try it (see what I did there) which is what I did with the premise being set Spikes with Klefki, break shit with Crawdaunt (very fucking strong under Rain), clean with one of the swimmers. Scarf HW Jirachi is a godsend for it bc you beat the other cheese leads + being able to mindlessly throw out lorb attacks in the rain then do it all over again later is so much fun. The main flaw with this team is no Ground immune which you could fix with a Thundy, but for the love of everything please stop using Barraskewda on rain. It is really fucking bad lol.

Semis vs Clark
4B4A5B48-3D8C-4524-A4F9-1F6E7E46AE42.jpeg

The star of the show. Screens are mindlessly broken and unhealthy; no one will convince me otherwise. I don’t think I lost a single serious test or game I played with this team. Necrozma is an amazing lead that can keep them up vs the entire tier and it’s also fat/strong as shit. The rest was pretty much just slapping a bunch of mons I could click with and win. DD Gyara is borked under Screens and if they have no regen Grass it’s p much over at preview. Pair it with DD Moxie Mence and WP Aegi to weaken said Grasses, Scizor, and Fairies, and the game gets incredibly easy. I’m convinced that if we somehow ban Light Clay this tier will be at a near perfect state.

That’s pretty much all I got for now. I’ll edit pastes/pictures later when I have my laptop. There’s other mons ( :Hatterene: :Raikou: :Chandelure: :Reuniclus: :Obstagoon: etc) that I didn’t get to bring that are pretty neat and hope to use in the future. In hindsight I’m pleased I got to play this tier bc it has been very refreshing after shifts. Much love to everyone that helped me along the way again & until next UUPL ✌ (maybe)

Last edited:
very glad to have played a full season of adv uu this time around since i somehow haven't before. admittedly, the later half of the season i became a lot less interested in building and experimenting with new stuff, but overall i think fuckin around was a very fun experience. only real regret was not deadgaming my semis game, 5-3 is way uglier than 5-2...i'll start first by goin over my teams, then some fun stuff that were in them / unused things. gonna keep spreads where speed creep is a thing consistent for the most part because it'll be obnoxious to adjust next season and i also want those of u who want to use these and learn the tier from there to ev them yourself, because doing so is one of the most fun things about this tier. won't be for everything though.

went with one of the most consistent frameworks week 1. walrein is one of the, if not the best lead in the tier rn, and in future weeks if i wasn't using it as a lead i was kind of trying not to. it's very hard to punish and the best leads against them are elecs and fightings theoretically....which are covered by the other mons on this team quite nicely. a lot of this team meshes nicely from a functional perspective. oma thieves stuff like tentacruel, meaning that long term it becomes a bit annoying to switch into it again. spikes + leech plume is godly for obvious reasons...and i was very confident in using the walrein + queen offensive core that i've been fawning over for the past year. god nidoqueen is so good. while i still technically wasn't great vs it, i wanted to cover myself a bit vs lunatone as raichy used it pretty much more than anyone i've ever seen, hence the 240 speed kanga and surf walrein. it can still be a bit scary other than that but i didn't want to sacrifice too much just in case he changed his style. you'll notice that this is one of those teams that doesn't have hp grass plume, forgoing it for aromatherapy. it's a bit awkward sometimes but early game you can bluff it quite well, and the rest of the team pressures it quite well. worst case scenario, you can fish for poisons on it, but this isn't really desirable cause once they see you're not hp grass they're just gonna either toss spikes at you or they're just gonna beam you. teams like this obviously require you to not fall very far behind in the spike war, meaning you'll have to be proactive. nothing new here with that though.

man....this. this is probably one of my favorite teams i've ever made in the tier. like i absolutely adore it. hyper offensive stuff has never been something that i've felt too comfortable with here, because there's always some stuff that can just flat out go wrong with one misstep, but working on this gradually has been something i've loved doing.

this technically isn't the first time this concept has been used - in uu snake bkc brought up the idea of having double spikes which is super cool. in simple terms, you're gonna para tenta as they spin - meaning you can go first in booming, potentially with a spike up. if they bait your boom, then it's not the end of the world cause there's still a para'd tenta, and ideally they're not gonna have a whole lot of room to get off a heal bell and what not without making concessions. afterwards there's still an oma in the back, meaning you can very obviously get up more. plus you have rain dance to really lay on the hurt, especially cause some tenta teams forgo another solid answer to it. even walrein doesn't have the best time here because it's gonna have to choose between stomaching things from oma or scyther in the long term. speaking truthfully though, i've used oma more in the end game than the early, and rd might be more valuable than getting up another value. it's still a great tool to have though. qwilfish isn't the only boomer here though. solrock is pretty firm and i think most hyper offenses should have it, even though it may seem like it could be a momentum suck sometimes; you can get a reflect up, you can boom, you can force out non iron tail gligar (something super valuable for these teams!!), meaning you have a solid offensive pivot to work with. cb scyther is self explanatory. i have counter here just for shits and giggles, i never have really clicked the last move on scyther and i'm not a big fan of the recently developed double edge, but you can probably use it cause again, you'll probably click it more than anything. i thought about rd too as a suicide thing, might be worth exploring.

a few versions of the team were made but the first time it was used, electabuzz was here over electrode. not too much to say about it, fast thing that can pressure waters and kanga / plume with spikes up. pre season (i think?) for here i got the idea to replace it with the pokeball. it has a few things that honestly make it more or less outclass manec and electabuzz here. the most glaring thing is obviously the boom. forcing booms on things like kanga, ampharos, plume, and lanturn is super essential for these kinds of teams. silk scarf here, alongside qwil, makes this all the more threatening, but we'll get to that later. the main thing though, is the fact that, barring omas with insane amounts of speed, makes it so that you don't just get plowed by oma and gorebyss on the spot if rain goes up. like anything else in this slot cannot function the same way and if your omastar is slower, which isn't really unlikely (meaning you can 100% add more speed here), you are just FUCKED. even with spikes up, there'll probably be a scenario where these things can get rain up, so having something that makes you very weak to it as opposed to just having your face put into concrete is a godsend, as dire as it sounds. when the season started one of the first things i said off the bat is that i wanted to use this framework, and it was only a question of when rather than if.

there were a few "neat!" ideas i wanted to pack in here. it was a gradual sort of process though. originally it was just sunny day plume, then i made it hp ground tentacruel, then counter kanga was added, and then hp grass solrock was a thing. but the vileplume had been something that i wanted to experiment with since uuwc. it's been an old set that everyone's Known about, but it very obviously has fallen out of favor because the now standard set is so ridiculously good. that being said, in the same way that rd oma is great, it was worth figuring out how to properly make use of sunny day plume because there like, isn't really anything that's totally wrong about it. it's just more of a "is this a waste of a plume" thing. i really liked the idea of using it here so over the course of the week after a lot of testing the aforementioned tweaks were made.

counter kanga is a neat thing as shiba mentioned. it's definitely awkward and you probably don't need to run it, but it can be fun. i thought about it with the mindset of just throwing out the mental warfare that was kanga creep wars, mostly because me and gc know each other's creep well enoughand it would be more of an effort to try to figure out who would win it than just accepting the loss, stomaching the hit and clapping it with counter. i think the 8 defense evs actually has a purpose but i cant remember what it is, it either has something to do with kanga or gligar. not going to go too in depth about solrock since im saving that for later, but it fit nicely on here because i did wanna overload oma given that technically tenta and vileplume here arent the Best at pressuring it. granted i have walrein, but again, the sequencing that i'll go into later is what made it appealing to me. reflect is viable here though, helps plume / tenta obviously. everything functions here as somewhat of a standard team on paper i guess. hp ground tentacruel seems weird, but muk is essentially one of the, if not the best answer to sunny day plume, and as it also is a good sponge to the standard sd tentacruel, baiting it is super good for a gameplan here. in theory, some of the sets here seem redundant in their coverage, but the purpose is to ensure that i can beat things down as much as possible for vileplume late on.

prepping this week was weird, partly cause this was around the time my motivation started to go down a bit. i knew off the bat i wanted to punish the slow paced fat shit, but that was about it. cm xatu was one of the first things that came to mind, alongside cm slowking. i used xatu here because its faster and is good at dealing with spdef kanga.....usually. in the game i do think i wouldve won if i didn't get crit but it's also my fault for jumping the gun, just wanted to take what was right in front of me. anyway, this is definitely one of the slower teams used here. no priority either but the chances of it mattering here were a bit low in theory. what this game taught me more than anything is that i am probably never fucking using this kanga set again. if i had eq it would've been way more easier, but wish sounded fun and would fit nicely with this team. technically, it does have merit, because you don't want to rely on rest too much with some of these and stoise can get worn fast. on that note, blastoise might be an odd choice here but its kinda neat in that you spin while sponging both gligar and tenta. rest of the team doesn't really need elaboration, the ampharos set was something i debated on a lot here, figured rest would be nice particularly because you can sit on electrics after being poisoned, and it's especially nice vs lanturn, who is a major asshole to this team otherwise.

it's worth noting this is the only game blastoise was used the whole season. really don't get why either because it's like, obviously a weird pick, but it's still good enough to be used more than shit like primeape.

prepping for jabba i wanted to make sure i wasn't going to get owned by any ho shit. up to this point he had been using qwilfish lead literally every single game with few variations here and there. figured he would prob change it up this week, which is what happened, but it wasn't really enough for me to change my mind on it. thief electabuzz is a neat lead for these sorts of situations, because in a favorable lead mu you are essentially guaranteed to force out something like qwilfish or walrein and nab a thief on whatever, and in the same way that thief's been used on earlier teams, nabbing leftovers is important. less so for electabuzz, granted, but still. psychic might be better here over qa but again given the ho potential i didn't really care to be THAT complacent. aside from that though building this was kind of weird, to the point where i honestly wasn't sure on my process lol. i had quite a few variations, all essentially trying to figure out what the best "third" water would be - chose lanturn cause its a decent check to scyther and is obviously great at being annoying to elecs and rd oma, and just being strong-ish in general. a lot of games with spikes up it gets really annoying for kangaskhan to switch into lanturn given that a fair amount of bulky offenses designate it as the elec answer, so there's that. rest is just the usual mons that are super easy to slap on and call it a day. gligar is just like, probably one of the most splashable mons rn so i always find it super valuable.

i kind of dont remember my inspiration for prep here ngl, at least not the starting point. i know that at some point i realized that on a spikeless team like this, cb gligar might actually be really good for progression that you can't really get with regular sd until the late game. gligar forces in walrein more than most mons, and in doing so here, it'll make it a lot easier for tenta to do work. the only other standout thing here is slowking. it's a mon that is deceptively annoying for almost every team - there aren't any great answers to it defensively once it gets going. problem is getting to get going in the first place, but it's not hard enough for it to be a total deterrent, especially given the utility it has. really this team is just a conglomeration of Annoying Shit piled on together that covers most of the metagame.

this was the hardest week to build for by a significant margin, simply because i didn't really come up with anything i liked up until the last minute. hell, this is probably my least favorite team of the season because it plays super clunky, but it does have a few neat things that make it worthwhile. first is the counter grumpig, which isn't really a new development given it was used in uu snake, but it's just a nice counter lead to a lot of stuff, both metaphorically and literally. other thing here is the kanga. i felt like fishing for paras would be fun, and body slam isn't really passive either so you're not a sitting duck either. i'd rather use it than return on spdef kanga probably lol. probably my biggest regret here was the muk - it didn't really fulfill much, but it gave me an elec answer, a tenta answer, and boom in one, so i figured why the hell not.

now that we were in poffs where shit mattered the most i was really revived after a few weeks of slump prep wise. for like 3 hours i was like I Must Use Magmar HO but then i was like fuck it, time for sd gatr. gatr is honestly a fantastic mon even if it's hard to fit just cause it's strong as shit and its other stats are just good enough to work out. sd was the move here as opposed to sub punch and such just cause breaking through vileplume cores is very obviously something you want to have. beyond that it's not really too crazy of a team, but man do i fucking wish i had hp grass solrock here. kind of just slowly got cocked in the end game in probably the worst case scenario.

----

a lot of these will be the fun things this season, as well as some stuff that was shelved either cause it wasn't working right, was too dumb, or was just a fun idea i had.

Qwilfish @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 104 Atk / 52 Def / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Self-Destruct
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder Wave

i already went into detail somewhat about the sequences with this thing, so i'll go over the spread first. this does the following
- ohkos the calc kanga with boom (they don't really run 212 hp that much, but that's because they'll probably have less)
- ohkos max hp / 0 def muk
- ohkos no bulk walrein. if they're fatter variants, it's obviously a bit more dicey, but they'll be low enough that, ideally with a spike up, they're never really switching in to eat anything again
- always lives max atk kanga eq
- no specific benchmark with the spa, but it's dumped into here because of the speed. it's really, really good to have this much though, because of how much you do to oma. obviously, you don't ohko it, but you get 57-67 off, which is a LOT early game, especially since they may try to trade spikes with you

soooo this is pretty much centered around silk scarf simply because of how much difference the boom damage gives. ideally, this'll give you a spike and something dead or weakened to the point where it'll be useless long term. it is weird at a first glance, but the other moves aren't really that good or applicable, so this is how you'd get the most out of qwil.

Electrode @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 168 Atk / 124 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave

similarly to qwil i decided to slap a scarf on this guy. the applications are a lot less defined here though - the main thing is that you ohko calc kanga after a layer of spikes. again, that basically means you ohko kanga since no one is running that much hp anymore. speed outruns modest gorebyss because a slight fighting chance is better than nothing. twave is there just because i don't reaaaaally value anything else here, and paraing something on the off chance it'll help out is nice. i guess you can do it to "punish" awkward play from the opponent trying to get some damage control from boom. realistically, the silk scarf wll help out more and more as the game progresses cause ideally you obviously get chip on other things.

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

there isn't anything that's like actually creative orspecial about this. hp grass is valuable in the early game where oma will switch in on solrock, and then you hp grass their ass as they spike. at least, they should spike because most people won't ever surf a solrock early game when there are 5 different mons, 4 of which are unrevealed, that would probably sponge a surf and then force oma out anyway with no reward on their end. you get enough damage to scare them out and mae it more annoying to come in on things later on. i used it cus on this particular team neither reflect or toxic were really helping me. i didn't actually get to show it off in game but i do think it's something fun

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

as mentioned before sunny day plume was more or less a long gone thing, and especially with the advent of demonplume this hasn't really seen the light of day, pun definitely intended. the main draw of this for me, however, was synthesis. 75% is a LOT of recovery and somewhat compensates for the lack of bulk regular plume has. i value this a lot more than sleep powder - i'd say it's completely useless, but advpl games have convinced me otherwise LOL so there's that. synthesis saved my ass in my game and sleep powder would definitely have not. the staying power plume has is wayyyy too good. speed evs outrun scyther and the elecs in sun, unfortunately idr what the hp + 4spdef is, but i know it was for something that was somewhat important.

now for the random shit that won't get too much input but i did think about

Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Atk / 8 Def / 8 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

probably one of the most insane things i've ever thought about, that i also probably won't use. outruns aggron, 2hkos standard plume, and usually never gets 2hkoed by the same plume. of course theres the poison though. i love meganium but this set is like incredibly on paper. then again a lot of these things are so w/e

Magmar @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Hasty Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Punch
- Toxic or idk who cares

i swear to god he will work one day. he does an assload to kanga and has a neat speed tier!!!

Ampharos @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Punch
- Heal Bell

i dont actually have a spread because this was just a thought, and one i didn't explore too much at that, but i did consider this in semis for obvious reasons. punishing kanga during the rest turn is never a bad thing.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

i want this to work, so so bad. cradily has fallen off the map completely, only getting one use this season (alongside hypno who was also a big thing in the old days ofc) but its so awkward. its a good sponge to things, but unlike plume it gets dicked by poison and it's way more passive. if it got curse i'd seriously use it on a lot of teams but unfortunately it doesn't.

thanks to everyone who helped me test and build this season. every game was a lot of fun and this tier is the best for a reason. also thanks to Chill Shadow for picking me up and my team for being awesome, much love. also hypno will make a comeback sooner or later.

Last edited:
Hello folks, mikan island monsters (actually not retained) retain reporting in. I never post in these because I am a lazy fucker, but I figured this tour's good as ever to start doing it, especially since I'm happy we won and all that. Not gonna lie, I hella underperformed in regular season; see I want to say that it was partly because I was still in SPL during the first 3(?) weeks, semis and all that, but in reality I just reused teams and got super cooked. Fortunately for me (even though it's looking like my team would've smashed regardless) I turned it around, and I made a couple of teams that I thought were pretty cool in the process, so I felt like sharing them with y'all.

ORAS UU TEAMS:

darm scep.png
Week 4 vs Kink / Fragile by Yes

So I know the first thing that'll come to your mind is "why the fuck am I seeing a Scarf Darmanitan", but I'd like to say I have a motive behind that... and that is plainly that in my attempt to "spice it up" a bit, so to speak, and bring new/underexplored ideas to the table, I've been obsessed with fire types in this tournament-- a pattern which you might not recognize because I only played 5 oras games after SPL ended and I rocked an Antonio team in one of them-- and it all started with the big Darm. After coming to the absolutely heartbreaking realization that CBDARM is, indeed, fucking terrible and just a "I am so cool for using different pokemon" version of Entei, I decided to try my hand at building with Scarf Darm instead, which has the added benefit over Entei of having U-Turn to keep up the momentum, chip its own checks and bring in Sceptile to wreak havoc, as well as being able to deal with pretty much every offensive setup sweeper in the tier, making it a great choice for speed control/general revenge killing purposes. Now, when building with fire types you obviously have to account for hazards, so I opted for a route with Spikes Forry+Taunt Jellicent, which would not only make it damn near impossible for my opponent to keep hazards off the field in the long run, but it'd also provide me with some leverage against kink specifically, who tends to rely on his own forry for the entire hazard game; I'd also like to touch upon how oppresive Darm can be with Spikes up, since the only Regenerator mon in Slowking is weak to bug, and you outdamage the 33% quota required to make progress vs it with U-Turn. Gligar offered me amazing role compression, Florges because it does Florges things and I opted for Calm Mind since I felt like it'd be great to have a setup sweeper and didn't really miss Wish with this configuration. Finally, I decided to use Sceptile as my last mon since I wanted something that could really start to put on some pressure with hazards up, as well as something that could come into the water types Darm draws in other than Jellicent. Something worth noting is that the flying resist is nowhere to be found, but what can you do. The team ended up working wonders, though it still saddens me that I didn't get to reveal the Roar Sceptile tech, pretty handy for dealing with basically all of its checks in one slot when aided by hazards.

Screenshot.png
Week 5 vs devin

I'm not entirely sure about what prompted me to build the most standard ORAS UU team ever, barring some conk stuff; maybe it was the fact that I had no Roserade usage, maybe I had no time that week. Whatever the case may be, here's my take on your classic Rose+M-Aero bulky offense with nothing too interesting other than what I believe to be an uncommon choice for the last move on AV Mienshao in Aerial Ace, good for alleviating the evident pressure hera puts onto this team, which I found significant specifically for this week as I was facing Pak's team, who is known for loving hera (and
ran from me like a coward). In an interesting twist of fate, I ended up facing a version of my own HO team tweaked by Pak whilst using a playstyle he is very much known for, and ended up emerging victorious after a very close game in which Dragon Tail Slowking proved to be crucial for completely different reasons than anticipated in the making of the squad.

chande croak.png
Week 6 vs Killintime / Phantom of the Opera OST

Well, here's fire type+Forry Spikes with no flying resist pt. 2, though I think this one plays out differently enough for both of them to be considered unique in their own right. I must admit that I almost gave up on building with Chandelure. The reason I even chose it in the first place was that KT had pretty much 0 Pursuit usage, and again, fire type fetish; at first I figured I could go about breaking with it without needing the help of hazards, and wound up making an Empoleon team that was not only subpar but also just a worse version of the same 5 with Entei as the breaker, so I had no choice but to resort to the basketball again. However, this time I went with a more offensively-oriented framework, making use of Taunt SR Krook to more immediately prevent my opponent from ridding their team of hazards as well as putting pressure via knocking stuff off, coupled with a Hydreigon who also happens to be Taunt, following pretty much the same rationale as the aforementioned dark, with the plus of being able to break past really fat blissey frameworks once Chande has bestowed its spectacles upon the blob. Shockingly, here is another Florges, to which I ended up deciding to give Grass Knot as its last move, due to the fact that dealing with M-Swampert by other means is not a very desirable prospect for this team, albeit Wish would also be a fantastic choice here since your defensive pivots do not have reliable recovery. Now, Crobat disregard aside, this is looking like a fairly unconventional but still sound set of 5 mons, and last but not least we have... Scarf Toxicroak??? That is correct folks. "Why not just make Hydreigon Scarf then with an SD Croak?" would be quite an apt observation, but I didn't decide on this just because I fancied it. As you might be able to notice without giving it much thought, Hydreigon is my only real Krookodile switchin, which should not be all that bad if you're carrying Roost as the last move (completely valid option even on Scarf sets), since our favorite intimidator cannot really justify running Superpower over Stone Edge on choiced sets, but the problem is that if Hydra were to be knocked off, it would still be my fastest pocket monster, standing right below 100 base speed, which is honestly abysmal for a team that can definitely be overwhelmed by offensive pressure. Knowing this and considering that I lacked an Scald switchin that didn't lose to empoleon, I opted for Scarf Toxicroak, the long time mascot of our dear franchise ever since the infamous (and still hilarious) Chimpact video. Now, I ask that you come to terms with the viability of this set, because it truly is a good (albeit very fringe) pick for a glue mon: it has enough speed to outpace +1 Gyarados, which is about all you need in this tier; it absorbs Toxic Spikes; it is able to more or less reliably (accuracy is your enemy) check a considerable amount of sweepers, thanks to its potent stabs and good coverage; and, honestly, it's an actually scary late game cleaner if you remove the Seismitoad/Swampert type of stuff out of the equation, which you have tools to accomplish. Like, dude, this might be one of the like 3 things that can actually ohko offensive Celebi from full, and that's not a trait to be overlooked. So yeah, in short, fear not to try it out, it won't let you down as long as you utilize it properly and competently. Unfortunately, after all this rambling I am afraid to inform you that my opponent adequately guessed that a flying type would be a good choice against me, which resulted in me losing this week's game after a frankly sloppy gameplay on my end but a close fight (which Taxicrak almost ended up bringing back on its own) nonetheless.

PELIPPER.png
Finals vs Kink / Themes of all PMD nicknames used

Aaaaaand here's the finals team. This is actually a team I built in like week 1, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about it until I got to tweak it with Ark, Tony and Pak during finals. The thing is I've wanted to use M-Aggron for a long time, and honestly Kink was just the perfect target for it, seeing as how the great majority of his teams could not switch into Heavy Slam+Earthquake aside from the basketball I mentioned he spams, which just gets completely shut down by Taunt or blown away by Fire Punch, which I had at some point but ended up ditching because it was only really useful for Forry. At the inception of the team there was a Gligar over Nidoking, with Aggron being relegated to spreading status, but as Pak accurately pointed out, the team was just too passive and asking to be ran over by various offensive cores without really being able to fight back that way. So with that in mind, we decided to move the Stealth Rock to the Aggron slot and added a Nidoking for great breaking power and as a means of punishing the fact that Kink exclusively runs stab-less Toxic Forre. I decided to go with Toxic Spikes as the last move on it, after a heavy debate as to whether that or Protect was the best option (though it ended up being completely irrelevant in the game). Florges acts as the defensive glue of the team, being able to pass wishes to Aggron for it to tear the opponent's team apart and be able to check what it needs to reliably, as well as being a cleric and a Hydra/BU Conk check as we all know. Moving on we have the levitator core: Life Orb Hydreigon, in tandem with nidoking, is able to break down pretty much any defensive configuration not including blissey, reason as to why I wore Taunt on it at first in combination with Tspikes, but ultimately Kink is a very formulaic builder and the blob does not enjoy a place on his squads, in contrast with the near 100% fairy usage he had, and thus I ended up settling for Flash Cannon. Rotom-C gives me pretty much all I want in a scarfer with trick to neutralize slower wincons that could withstand the hits of my breakers and end up sweeping otherwise, momentum in the form of Volt Switch and a secondary water resist/Gyarados check. And to round off the team, we have, naturally, defog Pelipper. Yea. This is all Pearl's doing, I've slowly but gradually been deceived enough to bring it in no other game than the finals of the tour, but following the trend of me using weird ass pokemon, it's here for a reason. Pelipper's viability (insofar as it can be labeled as such) stems from being able to offer a completely unique set of compressed roles; namely, it is hazard control in form of a water type with reliable recovery, which allows it to not only beat empoleon 1v1, but also humiliate offensive Swampert variants, as well as being a decent initial switchin to almost all fighting types not named CB Thunder Punch Conkeldurr. On top of all that, it offers momentum with U-Turn (even though I, regrettably, did not make use of it in the game), so it can effectively be used as a slow pivot against weaker attacks that would still annoy your breakers if they were to switch into them directly. All of these assets and probably a couple more I'm forgetting off the top of my head convinced me that it was, in fact, a good mon. Now, unfortunately, it ended up being pretty damn useless in the actual game, but lucky me, Scarf Rotom-C ended up putting in a lot more work than it had any right to, granting me the victory in an absolute nailbitter that ended on a 50/50.

BONUS: SM UU

sm uu.png
Week 7 vs Manipulative

I assume it came off as a surprise for most people when I got moved to SM in week 7; after all, I'm not known for playing this tier, which is a completely valid notion for I, in fact, do not play this tier. So let me preface everything I'm going to write from here on by saying that I had no real experience playing it before this, and as such, my building process wasn't as nuanced and I probably had some wrong ideas about the tier. That being said, I will briefly comment on both teams I built for that week, despite the fact that I only ended up using one of them. Actually, they were 3 teams, but in my attempt of building the most standard BO ever, one of them just so happened to be an exact copy of a TDK team (shocking I know), so I will naturally not be adding that. Starting off with the Jellicent team, I always felt like Jelli Spikes was a great playstyle, but it was usually reserved for Hippo+M-Aero frameworks, and that's pretty much solved I feel, so I decided to go for a different route with a completely underexplored Spiker in Chesnaught, which I thought to be a neat poke thanks to its typing, reliable recovery and the opportunity to run support moves like Taunt or Roar. Skimming through the rest of the team (because it's 2:40 AM right now and my mental energy is as of now quickly converging to 0) we have the defensive/utility core of M-Steelix+Wish Blissey, which takes on almost anything with the help of Jellicent, and a Scarf Hydreigon for speed control and emergency Defog. As for the last mon, Latias provides me with a great wincon and a check to the ever so problematic Nasty Plot Togekiss among other things. I considered making it Z Psychic to better deal with Rotom-Heat, which is honestly a huge nuisance, but I ended up discarding this team because of some pacing problems in certain matchups. Feel free to tweak it and make it good, though. Lastly, there's the team I ended up using in my first ever USM UU game in UUPL against Manipulative. After reflecting upon what I didn't like about the former team, I came to the realization that I might just be stupid as shit trying to build a solid balanced team in a tier I don't play, so I shifted to a good ol' BO instead. This team is pretty straightforward: Manectric+Terrakion prey on BO teams, while Togekiss finds itself carrying in the fat matchup, aided by Scizor and Tentacruel to absorb the Toxics by which it'd be screwed over due to it being Z Move instead of Heal Bell. Terrakion for Rocks, Scizor as a great pivot, Tenta for hazard control and soft checking some setup sweepers, and the incomparable Scarf Krook as the glue that holds the team together. It is also worth noting that priority+double intimidate on 2 fast fellas along with the emergency Haze give the team a pretty decent matchup against some HO teams. I ended up getting slightly lucky in a matchup that was honestly really bad, but I'll claim the win anyway because I feel like I played very well (Magnet Rise shennanigans aside).

FINALLY, this is over. And I used to ask myself why I didn't write these... what a soul draining exercise this proved to be. Anyway, to anyone still reading (or just skipping to the end) thank you for doing so and I hope my post was informative or useful for anything. I had a blast playing this tour and with the people on monsters so I felt the obligation to do this, and I definitely don't regret having been able to overcome my supreme laziness for it. To sign off, allow me to provide a couple of words of wisdom from someone who is definitely not wise: Build your teams, get involved, and most importantly, always have fun when playing these tours, something a lot of people seem to forget in the process. Goodbye and see y'all in the next!

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nothing too fancy this time around, but here's a couple techs I've been enjoying and that I want to talk about.

:dp/rotom:

DVD Menu (Rotom) @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Not my own creation, but definitely one of my favourite new toys. Credit goes to Donphantastic, of course. I default to Choice Scarf Rotom a lot in my builds and this set greatly annoys Ground types and Pursuit trappers (most notably Houndoom) that aim to take advantage of that tendency. In match-ups against offense, a well-timed burn or paralysis can easily put you up 5-6 early and enable your sweepers in the back.

:dp/moltres:

I Know The End (Moltres) @ Charcoal
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Roost

Life Orb recoil has always bugged me a bit on Moltres since with rocks on the field you might only get one hit off before being forced out and while Specs is very manly and truly powerful, I do value recovery a lot since Moltres has some solid defensive utility and hazard control in this tier is often shaky. Modest Charcoal can emulate Timid Specs damage and might just net you a surprise KO with HP Grass or cripple something with Toxic.

:dp/skuntank:

Much Sweeter (Skuntank) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Explosion

Skuntank is actually pretty neat. Unlike with Pursuit Houndoom, you don't have to worry as much about rocks chipping away at your health and being able to at the very least trade with something is always a plus in my book. I prefer Lum > Life Orb/Black Glasses on this because sleep is fucking broken and because it helps you deal with Will-o-Wisp from the ghosts. Donny swears on Choice Scarf and while access to a fast Explosion sounds intriguing, I'm not entirely convinced giving up move flexibility and safety from status is the right move. You could go for more bulk on this but, personally, I value the ability to outspeed max speed Venusaur since, on offense, this is most likely my only dedicated check.

:dp/regirock: & _:dp/registeel:

Another Timepiece (Regirock) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 132 HP / 148 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Eight Cylinders (Registeel) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 120 HP / 160 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Claw
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Reject bulk, embrace speed. Frankly, I've had it with the speed creep wars of Donphan/Rhyperior/etc hitting ridiculous speeds to get the jump on Clefable. As I was saying before with Skuntank, being able to trade against pretty much any threat that's slower is exceptionally valuable and since on offense, particularly Spikes offense, you want to make sure your hazards stay up, turns out outspeeding and blowing up on Donphan and Hitmontop 100% of the time is pretty important. With this kind of investment, you also get the jump (and therefore a free boom) on most Milotic, Torterra, Hariyama, and a smattering of others, which I can report to be quite disruptive at times. The surprise factor on these almost made me not wanna share them but fuck it, they're fun.

That's it from me, check out my UUPL IX recap over at the DPP UU Discussion Hub!

Cheers! :psyglad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)