Tournament UUWC II Format Discussion

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't posted seriously in ages, so bear with me. I'm aiming to just give my thoughts on things from a purely organizational standpoint. I also have zero intention of playing in this tour, even with how limited in players Asia is, and don't even care enough to argue for my friends, so there shouldn't be any reason to think I'm just trying to help a team.

For 8 slots vs 10 slots (and whether GSC/RBY should be included) matter, at this point, the only issue should be whether there's enough of a player distribution to include GSC/RBY. Multiple people in this thread have made arguments for and against them, but I just want to emphasize that if anyone wants to put a list of players for each team/region that could potentially fill a slot and use that to support your stance, do some research first. I don't follow RBY enough, so I'll focus on GSC, but the logic should follow for both. Certain people only played GSC because they had to in the first place, and some of them literally will not care about UU WCoP regardless of the tiers. For example, I talked to devin, and he straight up said there's no way he'd play GSC UU (I did not expect him to post though). I also found out from him that the only reason he played GSC was because Zokuru disappeared in UUPL, who was pretty dead in the team to begin with. I don't know what are the odds of him signing up and caring about this tour given this. Just like that, France and Asia + RoW loses a potential GSC player despite them not having many options to begin with. For the record, I feel like any team that can't squeeze out at least 2 potential players is in a tough spot, and it's not like this is only the case in like one team. You also have to consider whether those players are needed to play other gens. I would prefer to avoid situations where teams have literally no way of adequately filling their whole lineup. All this seems to be leaning towards not including either GSC or RBY. Of course, I'm basing this on what's been presented so far, so if someone can properly show that they have the distribution needed, then I'd gladly sit back and watch all the games, since I actually quite enjoy watching GSC.

Regarding the other options of 4th SS UU and Bo3, I just think Bo3 is ass and a 4th SS UU is overdoing it, although that's the least objectionable option to me if one of them is absolutely required. 8 slots would definitely help with the overall player distribution, though, considering last year was already bad for some teams (not accounting for the changes to rosters this year that would naturally occur).

___

As for merging of West and Midwest, I really don't have an opinion on it in particular. If the Midwest people are that adamant and are confident they can put on quality games, then I'm not in the position to say they cannot. However, I do think a line needs to be drawn somewhere regarding who gets their own team. I guess this really depends on whether we want this tour to have some sort of inherent quality standard. In a hypothetical scenario, if say Midwest (not targeting any of you. this can apply to any other team) keeps their own team this year and winds up doing absolutely horrible, even with an active chat, what happens next year if this tour remains? If they keep getting a lot of signups (that the captains are willing to let play), are they always going to get their own team? This obviously also applies to teams that have supposed "elite players". If we don't care about competitiveness much, then this is straightforward: more signups = higher chance the team exists.

If we do care about maintaining some form of competitiveness, it's a little trickier. All teams have bad years, and teams may start out horrible and gradually improve over time (which has happened many times in other world cups), so it's not like we can remove a team for performing badly once. And in this case, having maximum inclusivity is straight up impossible because having certain teams just for the sake of including more people that sign up will eventually compromise the quality of games. If someone cannot put up quality games against the rest of the pool, then there's really no going around that. People are going to be upset, but balancing inclusiveness and competitiveness isn't going to happen without some salt. There's also things like number of teams, number of playoff places, playoff byes that I frankly don't care about but it does come down to how you want this tour to be. From a competitive standpoint, though, the current 12 teams into 4 playoff spots isn't it.

Finally, there's the matter where people are dragging disinterested players within their region to sign up just so they have enough people for their own team. Honestly, I'd rather see a team of "bad" players that are genuinely interested and enthusiastic than a team filled with "elite" players that couldn't give less of a damn. This whole thing just feels like subjective nonsense right now, and the line of who gets teams is apparently just people caring enough to fight for their side.

I don't know if discussing what happens after the tour has a place here, but I just wanted it to be laid out for future consideration. Apologies for going off on my own little thought bubble. I appreciate anyone that actually read through this.

Last edited:

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I want to specifically address the arguments that are being made to expand team sizes from 8 slots to 10 and why I would deem it to be a bad proposition for this tournament in particular. To start off, I would like to provide a direct answer to the question proposed in the OP:

• Is 8 starting slots enough? It notably leaves out GSC UU and RBY UU. Would a shift to 10 slots with those two added in be optimal? Maybe a 4th SS or Bo3 > RBY if people still aren't ready for that. Bo3 sucks though.​
I truly believe that 8 starting slots are in fact enough for UUWC. It is no surprise that the tour is arguably imbalanced from a conceptual perspective in that there are certain regions, namely US Northeast, South, and Europe, that can field rosters that would be impossible to craft in any other draft setting. The expansion from 8 slots to 10 would only accentuate this issue; the aforementioned teams would be able to pick up 2 more highly competent players regardless of which slots would be added.

At the moment, the most popular combination of 2 slots to boost the general count up to 10 seems to be a 4th SS and GSC slots. I am sure that we are all on the same page here when I suggest that picking up a 4th SS player would be quite easy for most regions, given its popularity and status as a current-gen UU. It would indeed bolster the strength of all rosters and would allow for more SS development and inclusion, but I do not think it is necessary to do so. UU's most successful yearly team tournament in UUPL, as well as UU Snake, find 3 SS slots quite sufficient and gives enough new people the opportunity to start or at least play a handful of games each year. The Bo3 slot contains SS of course, but the pool is filled to the brim with established players who stand head and shoulders above most of the others participating in UUPL. This goes against the primary purpose of including a 4th SS slot, which is to give more people starting opportunities which is not an issue at all for the aforementioned category of seasoned players. UUWC is by nature, an exclusive tournament due to the boundaries of the regions themselves and the need to build the absolute best roster with just 12 slots. Including a 4th SS slot would only continue to highlight US Northeast, South, and Europe's overwhelming strengths. For example, a possible SS lineup for US Northeast would be formed by 3 of myself, Adaam, Booty, Nat, robjr, Star. If anything, our lineup potential is limited by the limitation of just 3 SS slots which should serve as a relief to some. With 4 slots, we'd be able to field more of a complete lineup than ever and while this does benefit most other teams, I would again like to reiterate that this would only further the 'gap' between the previously mentioned 3 regions and all others. Sorry if this sounds conceited but I am trying to maintain a level of realism here.

As for other slot options, I'm sure Bo3 and RBY need not be argued against any further as many before me have counted out both options for their respective reasons. After all, there's a reason that Bo3, in particular, wasn't included in the last UUWC nor in last year's UUSD since there are efforts to amplify the uniqueness of both tournaments rather than crafting them to become UUPL clones. As far as GSC UU's inclusion is concerned, I am against it for a few reasons. Estarossa made some great points in his last post about why GSC UU is a fine tier and should be included in this tournament. I strongly agree with everything that he said about the metagame itself; I enjoy it and find it to be a great change of pace from all of the other old gen UUs and am glad that it has found its way into becoming a yearly fixture in UUPLs. That being said, I'd like to address his list of GSC UU players by region:

Can regions actually fill a GSC Slot?

Based on like UUPL and some UUFPL players too, as well as known GSC UU players, you could tentatively come up with a list like this for most of the expected regions.
  • UK: Estarossa
  • US NE: ?
  • US West: Siatam
  • US Midwest: Kaori, Mr.378
  • US South: HSA, d0nut, Lord Thorx
  • Latin America: Raahel
  • Brazil: LpZ , Highways, Hyogafodex
  • France: Zokuru
  • Germany: leru , vani
  • Europe: Reece, cherryb0ng
  • India + RoW: devin depends on how busy they are / if they care bout earthworm is a possibility since devin doesn't want to
  • Canada: ? losing 467 and solo definitely stings on this front unfortunately
While i'd agree that certain regions are a bit more stacked than others on this front, for most part GSC is actually going to be relatively easy to field for most teams. Dependent on interest from more busy parties you've always got options like pirate for RoW too. US Northeast struggles but is already an incredibly strong team in general, and still has people capable of passing teams (such as Accel) to whoever gets slotted in there.

On the notion of GSC being hard to slot someone into?

I don't really agree with this notion necessarily, I'd argue that while there's going to certainly be advantages to more experienced players as in any tier, GSC UU is actually noticeably easier to pick up for an experienced player being passed teams than another generation might be, especially gens like ADV with the lack of team preview, or gens like BW which can be really unforgiving to small mistakes due to the highly offensive and fast paced nature of the tier. Lack of team preview isn't the biggest deal in the end due to rather limited pool of mons + more obvious structures, and its not very difficult to really learn the sort of threats you really need to keep an eye on and know which defensive responses you absolutely shouldn't be throwing out for no reason like Omastar.

In my mind any solid balance player in later gens should have a lot less difficulty picking up GSC to a high enough level to compete in UUWC than quite a few of the other generations of UU really, and as seen in tours like UUFPL, mains of other GSC tiers like Vani have been more than capable of picking up GSC uu and playiyng at a strong level due to GSC skills beeing highly transferrable, meaning teams like US NE can easily field a player who is strong at GSC OU as long as they have someone able to supply teams.

---------------

All in all i'm definitely in favour of GSC's inclusion and think its definitely something that should be considered here. In terms of whatever 10th slot is added i'm relatively ambivalent and would be perfectly happy with RBY inclusion if RBY UU players believe it to be feasible this year, but favour a 4th SS slot, it would definitely have some beneffits in terms of accessibility and opportunities for newer players to make a name for themselves, while providing a side benefit of some further metagame developmeent in a fresher post sciz/mew environment.
I am sure I need not reiterate that UUWC is, at its core, an imbalanced tournament by virtue of its design and concentration of general UU strength within a few particular regions. If I truly see this list in a realistic light, US South (d0nut and HSA) and Europe (leru and Reece) would be the regions to primarily benefit from its inclusion. Other regions do benefit as well, primarily the UK, Midwest, and Brazil by gaining more general oomph with their great GSC UU options. However, adding GSC to the mix offers the same disadvantages that a 4th SS slot did in that it gives US South and Europe yet another reason for people to inevitably complain about the tournament's serious imbalances as a whole. Hell, I would gladly play it for US Northeast if it were to be included which would arguably benefit us as well! I do think that GSC UU should seriously be considered as an addition to the upcoming UUSD or any other tour with a more reasonable drafting format, but that's a topic for another day.

Hopefully, this serves as a decent proposal to retain the typical 8 starting slots and at the least, offers people perspective on why these additions have the potential to lower this tournament's quality even further. On another note, I've been hearing news of this tournament being potentially axed which is blasphemous to me. Surveys and community input were gauged for months before UUWC was somehow agreed upon to be the best option to provide entertainment at this time of year. Backtracking now would be a poor move so I implore those in charge to commit to their decision and see this tournament until its end so as to not disrespect the community that did vote for UUWC's return as well as managers or players that are quite invested at this point.

Perhaps my say doesn't mean much since the last time I was on Midwest was a couple years ago, and all I really did was help with the Discord and Teambuild, but I'm really against the idea of merging us with West. We've always had at least the minimum, if not more, and after glancing at signups, we should have more than enough. Even if for some reason, half our people just delete their signups, we should be able to divide ourselves among the closer regions, such as US NE, South, or even Canada if you live in Wisconsin for whatever reason. For example, if Midwest doesn't get enough signups, and we have to split/merge, it would make 0 sense for me or someone like me all the way out in Corn Land Indiana/Ohio/Michigan/Wisconsin/Wherever the hell to play for US West, which includes places like California. Instead, us people sitting basically on the Kentucky border or wherever else, should be able to play for US South, since that's the next best thing. The idea of just slapping the entire heart of the United States into US West makes 0 logical sense and just wastes a bunch of players for no good reason other than laziness.

I don't have much to say about the whole RBY/GSC thing other than a noted benefit of including GSC is that I don't have to scroll through the discord channels for 45 minutes watching GSC explode all over the place. We need to bring back the Truman doctrine or some shit for this tier because its getting painful to look at.

SS | SS | SM | ORAS | BW | DPP | ADV | GSC

Like Kink suggested, this shouldn't be this hard.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I haven't posted seriously in ages, so bear with me. I'm aiming to just give my thoughts on things from a purely organizational standpoint. I also have zero intention of playing in this tour, even with how limited in players Asia is, and don't even care enough to argue for my friends, so there shouldn't be any reason to think I'm just trying to help a team.

For 8 slots vs 10 slots (and whether GSC/RBY should be included) matter, at this point, the only issue should be whether there's enough of a player distribution to include GSC/RBY. Multiple people in this thread have made arguments for and against them, but I just want to emphasize that if anyone wants to put a list of players for each team/region that could potentially fill a slot and use that to support your stance, do some research first. I don't follow RBY enough, so I'll focus on GSC, but the logic should follow for both. Certain people only played GSC because they had to in the first place, and some of them literally will not care about UU WCoP regardless of the tiers. For example, I talked to devin, and he straight up said there's no way he'd play GSC UU (I did not expect him to post though). I also found out from him that the only reason he played GSC was because Zokuru disappeared in UUPL, who was pretty dead in the team to begin with. I don't know what are the odds of him signing up and caring about this tour given this. Just like that, France and Asia + RoW loses a potential GSC player despite them not having many options to begin with. For the record, I feel like any team that can't squeeze out at least 2 potential players is in a tough spot, and it's not like this is only the case in like one team. You also have to consider whether those players are needed to play other gens. I would prefer to avoid situations where teams have literally no way of adequately filling their whole lineup. All this seems to be leaning towards not including either GSC or RBY. Of course, I'm basing this on what's been presented so far, so if someone can properly show that they have the distribution needed, then I'd gladly sit back and watch all the games, since I actually quite enjoy watching GSC.

Regarding the other options of 4th SS UU and Bo3, I just think Bo3 is ass and a 4th SS UU is overdoing it, although that's the least objectionable option to me if one of them is absolutely required. 8 slots would definitely help with the overall player distribution, though, considering last year was already bad for some teams (not accounting for the changes to rosters this year that would naturally occur).

___

As for merging of West and Midwest, I really don't have an opinion on it in particular. If the Midwest people are that adamant and are confident they can put on quality games, then I'm not in the position to say they cannot. However, I do think a line needs to be drawn somewhere regarding who gets their own team. I guess this really depends on whether we want this tour to have some sort of inherent quality standard. In a hypothetical scenario, if say Midwest (not targeting any of you. this can apply to any other team) keeps their own team this year and winds up doing absolutely horrible, even with an active chat, what happens next year if this tour remains? If they keep getting a lot of signups (that the captains are willing to let play), are they always going to get their own team? This obviously also applies to teams that have supposed "elite players". If we don't care about competitiveness much, then this is straightforward: more signups = higher chance the team exists.

If we do care about maintaining some form of competitiveness, it's a little trickier. All teams have bad years, and teams may start out horrible and gradually improve over time (which has happened many times in other world cups), so it's not like we can remove a team for performing badly once. And in this case, having maximum inclusivity is straight up impossible because having certain teams just for the sake of including more people that sign up will eventually compromise the quality of games. If someone cannot put up quality games against the rest of the pool, then there's really no going around that. People are going to be upset, but balancing inclusiveness and competitiveness isn't going to happen without some salt. There's also things like number of teams, number of playoff places, playoff byes that I frankly don't care about but it does come down to how you want this tour to be. From a competitive standpoint, though, the current 12 teams into 4 playoff spots isn't it.

Finally, there's the matter where people are dragging disinterested players within their region to sign up just so they have enough people for their own team. Honestly, I'd rather see a team of "bad" players that are genuinely interested and enthusiastic than a team filled with "elite" players that couldn't give less of a damn. This whole thing just feels like subjective nonsense right now, and the line of who gets teams is apparently just people caring enough to fight for their side.

I don't know if discussing what happens after the tour has a place here, but I just wanted it to be laid out for future consideration. Apologies for going off on my own little thought bubble. I appreciate anyone that actually read through this.
I expect the decision is already made so this post is meaningless, but purely academically and maybe as a future thought: I totally agree with you the main, or even sole, factor that should determine whether GSC and RBY gets included is the availability of playerbase.

I just think you’re asking too much for each team to have two potential players. Pokemon isn’t that hard of a game to learn and plenty of resources exist; I literally played GSC less than 10 times but after watching games and getting free teams built for me in the teambuilding lab, I think the tier is totally playable. All I’d ask is for half or more of teams to have at least 1 player.

I really think this tournament and all our tournaments are about the format/game we play, not primarily about individuals. So we should be doing our best to showcase/play/develop the old gen UUs since they have few other opportunities in our subforum.

My point is rather philosophical so don’t feel the need to engage but I did want to articulate it (poorly).

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I expect the decision is already made so this post is meaningless, but purely academically and maybe as a future thought: I totally agree with you the main, or even sole, factor that should determine whether GSC and RBY gets included is the availability of playerbase.

I just think you’re asking too much for each team to have two potential players. Pokemon isn’t that hard of a game to learn and plenty of resources exist; I literally played GSC less than 10 times but after watching games and getting free teams built for me in the teambuilding lab, I think the tier is totally playable. All I’d ask is for half or more of teams to have at least 1 player.

I really think this tournament and all our tournaments are about the format/game we play, not primarily about individuals. So we should be doing our best to showcase/play/develop the old gen UUs since they have few other opportunities in our subforum.

My point is rather philosophical so don’t feel the need to engage but I did want to articulate it (poorly).
I definitely agree with what you're saying. The 2 players is (to me, although I may have worded that poorly) just an ideal scenario where every tier has some sort of buffer should your main player not be able/want to play for whatever reason, but I do concede that this is not realistic and it's not that difficult to more or less pick up the tier if it's absolutely needed, especially if you're generally good/familiar with the game, outside of learning the generation-specific mechanics.

Not going to comment on your view of tournaments, since it's a matter of perspective. Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)