Gen 1 Vaporeon (UU) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
vaporeon.png

hey guys did u know--

[OVERVIEW]
Vaporeon stands out as the best out of the many bulky Water-types in RBY UU, providing teams with a backbone against offensive behemoths like Tentacruel and Articuno. It often takes multiple Pokemon to KO Vaporeon, and because of its monstrous Special stat, they will also have to take very strong STAB Surfs in the process. Even many super effective attacks, such as Electabuzz's Thunderbolt, will fail to 2HKO it. Vaporeon is capable of dueling and checking mighty physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Dugtrio as well. Vaporeon isn't too concerned about paralysis either, making it one of the best absorbers of the status in the tier. Checking Normal-types, Articuno, Dugtrio, and even Tentacruel all in one, Vaporeon blends offense and defense perfectly, making it a very appreciated addition to many successful RBY UU teams.

Still, though, Vaporeon is very slow, which can leave it vulnerable to Wrap from Dragonite or Tentacruel. Worse still, if Vaporeon is low on HP, this Wrap use will deny it from healing off damage with Rest. Vaporeon's reliance on Rest will also let heavy-hitting Pokemon like Persian, Kangaskhan, and Dugtrio safely switch in on the turn Rest is used, putting Vaporeon in a very precarious position. Being outrun by every sleeper in the tier, bar Tangela, can also make Vaporeon easy to put to sleep again after Rest if Sleep Clause isn't active. Finally, Vaporeon lacks coverage for opposing Water-types, though its higher damage output does tend to let it win prolonged interactions.

[SET]
name: Bulky Special Attacker
move 1: Surf
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

The combination of Surf and Blizzard is resisted only by Water-types and allows Vaporeon to deal significant damage to teams thanks to its incredible Special. STAB Surf is very powerful, 3HKOing Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Kadabra, and Persian. Crucially, it also lets Vaporeon consistently OHKO Dugtrio, making it a very important check. Blizzard 2HKOes Venusaur and Dodrio, as well as possibly OHKOing Dragonite. Body Slam enables Vaporeon to hit Water-types and thus the entire tier for neutral damage and scout for switch-ins, critically Tentacruel, which can flip the situation on its head if they get paralyzed. Tentacruel becomes much more manageable if it gets paralyzed, because it has to use Rest much earlier, so Body Slam denies it free entry. Rest gives Vaporeon significant longevity while removing the paralysis it will likely absorb early-game. Vaporeon's combined great offensive pressure and bulk warps the opponent's offensive play as well; this should be exploited to force out their key offensive Pokemon while getting free turns to scout with Body Slam.

Vaporeon fits on a variety of teams. Pairing Vaporeon with almost any Flying-type Pokemon, like Dodrio or Aerodactyl, is a good choice thanks to its Ice resistance allowing it to check Articuno for them. Dragonite works particularly well, providing Vaporeon with an Electric neutrality and Grass resistance to fall back on. The two also offer each other essential paralysis support, as Vaporeon can use Body Slam against targets such as Tentacruel and Kadabra, while Dragonite can use Thunder Wave against offensive Normal-type Pokemon. Moreover, Vaporeon paired with any Flying-type Pokemon is a particularly good way to keep Dugtrio wavering between Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Slash. Oftentimes, Dugtrio is forced to use Slash, which is far easier to play around, at least compared to its nuclear Earthquake. Other Ice-weak Pokemon, such as Venusaur and Dugtrio, also appreciate Vaporeon's presence for similar reasons. Vaporeon makes a particularly potent defensive core alongside the ubiquitous Hypno as well; Vaporeon handles Dugtrio and Normal-types, while Hypno handles Electric-types and Venusaur.

Teams that struggle against Wrap, particularly those with frailer Pokemon like Kadabra, will also benefit greatly from Vaporeon's presence, since it can take a massive amount of chip damage before it's in KO range for anything. Vaporeon can also be used alongside other bulky Water-types, such as Tentacruel, Gyarados, and Omastar, to make teams even more resilient to Wrap and offensive pressure. During Rest, remember that being trapped by Wrap still depletes sleep turns, which makes Vaporeon deceptively easy to wake up and therefore very effective for these types of teams. Vaporeon's HP must be carefully managed when against Wrap users, however.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hydro Pump is an immensely strong option that allows Vaporeon to 2HKO almost any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, with some standout calculations being 2HKOs on Electabuzz, Persian, and Kangaskhan. However, its accuracy and PP leave much to be desired, making what should be the team's anchor very inconsistent. This also makes it easier for opposing Rest users to PP stall Vaporeon. Acid Armor lets Vaporeon wall physical attackers like Dodrio and Kangaskhan as well as take much less chip damage from Wrap, which can define late-game scenarios when its checks are removed. However, since it doesn't help against Persian or special attackers, which are just as common, it's difficult to justify.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gyarados**: Gyarados resists Surf and takes 27.7% maximum from Blizzard, all while possessing coverage in Thunderbolt to 4HKO Vaporeon, which can be turned into a 3HKO with Hyper Beam. Vaporeon simply can't risk contending with a healthy Gyarados and will be forced out by it frequently. Furthermore, the best counterplay to Vaporeon is to switch in on a predicted Rest to give it what for, and Gyarados is among the best punishes to a resting Vaporeon in the tier thanks to its offensive prowess.

**Venusaur**: Venusaur outspeeds Vaporeon and threatens it with either an uncontested Sleep Powder or a 2HKO from Razor Leaf. Venusaur is a particularly heavy punish to a resting Vaporeon as a result. The punish especially hurts if it's running Swords Dance, allowing it to set up and still get the 2HKO before Vaporeon can act. However, Venusaur really doesn't want to switch into Blizzard, which deals up to 60%, adding a degree of risk to the prediction game.

**Haunter**: Haunter is capable of switching in on Vaporeon's Body Slam and can 3HKO with Thunderbolt about half the time. Additionally, if necessary, Explosion KOes Vaporeon from half HP. Since it's faster, Haunter can also threaten Vaporeon with Hypnosis.

**Normal-type Attackers**: Strong physical attackers, like the tier's resident Normal-types, are great at switching in on and punishing Vaporeon's Rest. Persian is the most reliable method of dispatching Vaporeon, 3HKOing it with Slash. While less consistent overall, Dodrio and Kangaskhan can KO Vaporeon after two Body Slams followed by Hyper Beam. However, none of these Pokemon want to contest Vaporeon's nuclear attacks, especially if it runs Hydro Pump, which 2HKOes all of them. Even without Hydro Pump, Surf and Blizzard alike have odds to 2HKO them as well.

**Electric-types**: Electabuzz, Raichu, and the rare Electrode can switch in on Rest and 3HKO Vaporeon with STAB Thunderbolt. Plus, thanks to their high Speed stats, a critical hit from any of them is reasonably likely and can be difficult for Vaporeon to recover from later. In a tight spot, Electrode also guarantees a 2HKO using Thunderbolt + Explosion. However, they all take significant damage from Surf, which they can't afford in the long run. In fact, if they switch in on Surf, they're liable to lose the one-on-one, making them deceptively shaky checks.

**Swords Dance Tentacruel**: If using a Swords Dance set, Tentacruel can swiftly chip Vaporeon down through Wrap damage and KO it from half HP with a +2 Hyper Beam. However, Tentacruel can't afford to switch into Body Slam, lest it gets forced into Rest much earlier than usual, and the Swords Dance set rarely runs Rest anyway. If Tentacruel doesn't have Swords Dance, however, Vaporeon can absolutely fish for a Wrap miss to either try for Body Slam paralysis or use Rest to PP stall. Ergo, standard Tentacruel sets should not be considered reliable Vaporeon checks.

**Dewgong**: If using Ice Beam, Dewgong can engage in a freeze war with Vaporeon which, given it exhausts all its PP, has an 81.98% chance of succeeding. Since its Ice typing makes it immune to being frozen itself, and its Water typing lets it resist Vaporeon's STAB moves, Dewgong is a serviceable answer to Vaporeon. However, Dewgong is less bulky than Vaporeon, making it more difficult to wake up from Rest in the long run. This also causes it to fail to outdamage Vaporeon in prolonged interactions.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353]]
- Quality checked by: [[Volk, 530877], [phoopes, 96315]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [Muk, 33374]]

Last edited:

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Howdy!

It will often take the efforts of multiple Pokemon to KO Vaporeon, and because of its monstrous Special stat, they will also have to take very strong STAB Surfs in the process.
Comma after "and."

Even super effective hits, such as a Thunderbolt from Electabuzz, will fail to 2HKO it.
I'd say "even many super effective hits," as some actually can 2HKO Vaporeon, namely Venusaur's Razor Leaf, but also Magneton's Thunderbolt.

It's not like Vaporeon isn't capable of duelling physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Dugtrio either, stomaching some nuclear blows while responding with its own, making it a suitable check for them as well.
I'd rephrase this to just say Vaporeon is capable, not that it "isn't incapable." Given the parameters you laid out, Vaporeon checking Kangaskhan and Dodrio is a logical conclusion, not a surprise.

Checking Normal-types, Articuno, Dugtrio and even Tentacruel all in one, Vaporeon blends offense and defense perfectly, making it a very appreciated addition to many successful RBY UU teams.
Oxford comma.

However, while Vaporeon is a solid defensive piece, it's not perfect, and this has to be considered to be successful with it.
This is a pretty wordy sentence that doesn't really carry any information. I wouldn't cut it, but I'd shorten it.

Vaporeon's reliance on Rest will also allow safe passage for heavy-hitting Pokemon like Persian, Kangaskhan and Dugtrio; if they switch in on the turn Rest is used, this puts Vaporeon into a very precarious position.
Oxford comma. Also, change to "Vaporeon will be put in a very precarious position."

This is of utmost importance, as it denies Tentacruel free entry: if it's paralyzed, it becomes much more manageable.
This is a little unclear. After the colon, try "Tentacruel becomes much more manageable if it gets paralyzed."

Vaporeon should usually use Rest when at around 46% HP, as this keeps it out of Hyper Beam range from Kangaskhan.
This is too specific for my tastes. Vaporeon can use Rest when ever the player sees fit. I think placing a restriction like this, especially when Kangaskhan isn't on every team, is unnecessary and honestly kind of confusing. Not to mention if you consistently use Rest upon dropping below a certain percent, you become really exploitable.

This can also apply to switching in on opposing Rest users, such as those from Hypno, which takes surprisingly high damage from Surf, being 4HKOed.
I don't know about this. Is Vaporeon is your Rest punish, I think you might need to rethink your strategy. Vaporeon is mor enotable against awake Hypno, honestly, as it takes Psychic decently well. Other stuff like Dragonite, Tentacruel, and Kangaskhan are your premier Rest switch ins.

Vaporeon is very capable of absorbing paralysis for its team too, as it's not too concerned about its Speed stat, which also makes it one of the best options for staving off sleep and any further status attempts.
This is a tad debatable, as aside from Hypno, Vaporeon isn't great against most sleepers (Venusaur, Haunter, etc.).

Vaporeon fits on a variety of teams thanks to its flexible nature, making it very splashable.
This says the same thing thrice.

Offensive teams appreciate its ability to check Tentacruel, Dugtrio, Dragonite, and Articuno at once, which can otherwise mow them down. Many offensive Pokemon, such as Kangaskhan and Articuno, will appreciate Vaporeon's ability to check Tentacruel as well.
This seems either redundant or unclear, consider revising.

Teams at risk of Wrap, particularly those with frailer Pokemon like Aerodactyl and Kadabra, will also benefit greatly from Vaporeon's presence.
Aerodactyl is at risk of Wrap? It is faster than every user and resists the move.

This is because it can take a massive amount of chip damage before it's in KO range for anything alongside checking standard Tentacruel, the most prominent user in the tier.
You basically described how Tentacruel is checked by Vaporeon in the first half of this sentence, so saying "alongside checking standard Tentacruel" is kind of redundant and a little confusing.

Vaporeon can also be used alongside other bulky Water-types, such as Tentacruel, Gyarados, and Omastar to make teams even more resilient to Wrap and offensive pressure.
I'd consider looking at a few multi-mon cores in depth here. Cores like Hypno/Dragonite/Vaporeon are meta-defining, because they are very hard to break and are very good at spreading status for their teammates. Vaporeon is truly a team player so make sure these sorts of interactions get a lot of attention. Understanding this is key to understanding why Vaporeon is good in this tier and why you'd put it on a team. Vaporeon can serve as a Pokemon that just sort of fills holes on defensively lack-luster teams, but it has some really good long-term defensive synergy as well.

Hydro Pump is an immensely strong option that allows Vaporeon to 2HKO almost any Pokemon that doesn't resist it; exceptions being Articuno, Hypno, and Clefable.
I think I'd rather hear examples than exceptions.

Ice Beam is a serviceable alternative to Blizzard if aiming to freeze opposing Water-types, but the power is quite lacking, leaving it vulnerable to Venusaur and Dragonite, the latter of which fails to be OHKOed and proceeds to set up Agility.
I don't think Ice Beam is really worth mentioing. EB0LA convinved me to skip it on the Omastar analysis. You just honestly would never use it over Blizzard.

Acid Armor lets Vaporeon wall physical attackers like Dodrio and Kangaskhan, but since it doesn't help against the more common Persian, it's difficult to justify on a game-to-game basis.
I'd sell Acid Armor a tad more. It is a fairly good anti-Wrap option and can be pretty dangerous late game, as Vaporeon with a few defense boosts can be pretty tricky to KO if when you have fewer Pokemon left. It's nothing stellar, but I would call it viable.

Checks and Counters
This whole section is pretty well done. I'd just mess with the order a little. My recommendation:
  1. Gyarados
  2. Venusaur
  3. Haunter
  4. Strong Normal-type Attacker (just call this "Normal-type Attackers" by the way; nobody is using weak ones)
  5. Electabuzz and Raichu (also maybe name Electrode)
  6. Swords Dance Tentacruel
  7. Dewgong
That's it for now. This analysis still has a few lingering inaccuracies and could use some more polish on the whole. Let me know when you fix it up and I can probably give the QC. Cheers.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
That's it for now. This analysis still has a few lingering inaccuracies and could use some more polish on the whole. Let me know when you fix it up and I can probably give the QC. Cheers.
I've implemented everything except the multi-mon cores, as outside of VapNite and Triple Water (which I went over in a vague sense) I'm not sure what I'd note.

I also expanded on the Electric section in Checks & Counters since I honestly forgot how difficult it can be to recover from a crit Thunderbolt from any of them.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
But wait, there's more!

Vaporeon is capable of duelling physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Dugtrio either, stomaching some nuclear blows while responding with its own, making it a suitable check for them as well.
"Vaporeon is capable of dueling physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Dugtrio as well, stomaching some nuclear blows while responding with its own, making it a suitable check for them."
Note that "dueling" was spelled incorrectly.

Body Slam enables Vaporeon to hit Water-types for neutral damage, as well as scout for switch-ins. This is of utmost importance, as it denies Tentacruel free entry: Tentacruel becomes much more manageable if it gets paralyzed
These sentences are just a little unclear. Hard to explain. See if you can clean them up a little.

During Rest, it should be remembered that being trapped by Wrap still depletes sleep turns, which makes Vaporeon deceptively easy to wake up, which is what makes it so important for these types of teams.
Replace "important" with "effective."

This also makes it much easier to be PP stalled by opposing Rest users.
"This also makes it easier for opposing Rest users to PP stall it."

However, since it doesn't help against the more common Persian, it's difficult to justify on a game-to-game basis.
"Persian or special attackers..."

I think that is it. Well done. QC 1/2!

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mostly nitpicks.

Vaporeon stands out as the best bulky Water-type in RBY UU, providing teams with a backbone against offensive behemoths like Tentacruel and Articuno.
I would add something in here about the abundance of Water-types in UU. Like in a tier where there are plenty of options for bulky Waters, Vaporeon is the best at what it does, so I'd emphasize that.

Even many super effective hits, such as a Thunderbolt from Electabuzz, will fail to 2HKO it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think "most super effective attacks" is better than "many super effective hits." I think many what you currently have implies that Vaporeon can take many super effective hits as opposed to many super effective attacks not being able to 2HKO it.

Blizzard, on the other hand, allows Vaporeon to OHKO Dragonite and 2HKO Venusaur. It can also KO Dodrio if it's taken even a modicum of damage.
I think it's important to mention that Blizzard is only a possible OHKO on Dragonite (76.9% chance, but still). Also I feel like the wording could be better for the Dodrio part, something about the calc doesn't scream "this dies if it's taken a modicum of damage" to me. Here's the calc btw:
Vaporeon Blizzard vs. Dodrio: 253-298 (78.3 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rest finalizes the set, giving Vaporeon significant longevity, while also removing the paralysis it likely absorbed early-game.
I would explicitly say that switching in Vaporeon to a Thunder Wave/Stun Spore is a good strategy somewhere else in the analysis if that's what you mean, since it's already hella slow and doesn't mind paralysis as much as a lot of other stuff in the tier.

However, since it doesn't help against the more common Persian or special attackers
I think you can drop the "more" here, as I don't really know if Persian is more common than Kangaskhan, they seem about even to me.

Venusaur is a particularly heavy punish to a resting Vaporeon as a result, especially if running Swords Dance.
Why? Swords Dance Venu is very uncommon from my experience and if Vap is Resting I see no reason not to just use Razor Leaf.

---

Overall this is pretty much almost ready. I'll give it a QC 2/2 once you make those edits

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

[OVERVIEW]
Vaporeon stands out as the best out of the many bulky Water-types in RBY UU, providing teams with a backbone against offensive behemoths like Tentacruel and Articuno. It will often take the efforts of often takes multiple Pokemon to KO Vaporeon, and, because of its monstrous Special stat, they will also have to take very strong STAB Surfs in the process. Even many super effective attacks, such as a Thunderbolt from Electabuzz, will fail to 2HKO it. Vaporeon is capable of dueling and checking mighty physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Dugtrio as well, stomaching some nuclear blows while responding with its own, making it a suitable check for them. Vaporeon isn't too concerned about paralysis either, making it one of the best absorbers of the status in the tier. Checking Normal-types, Articuno, Dugtrio, and even Tentacruel all in one, Vaporeon blends offense and defense perfectly, making it a very appreciated addition to many successful RBY UU teams.

While Vaporeon is a solid defensive piece, it's not perfect. It's Still, though, Vaporeon is very slow, which makes it easy for Dragonite or Tentacruel to abuse with Wrap when exploit with Wrap while it's (I imagine?) trying to gain momentum. Worse still, if Vaporeon is low on HP, this Wrap use will deny it from healing off damage with Rest. Vaporeon's reliance on Rest will also allow safe passage for let heavy-hitting Pokemon like Persian, Kangaskhan, and Dugtrio; if they Dugtrio safely switch in on the turn Rest is used, Vaporeon will be put putting Vaporeon in a very precarious position. Vaporeon's Speed also leaves it Being outrun by every sleeper in the tier, bar Tangela; this bar Tangela, can also make Vaporeon easy to put to sleep again after Rest if Sleep Clause isn't active. Finally, Vaporeon lacks coverage for opposing Water-types, though its higher damage output does tend to let it win prolonged interactions.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

The combination of Surf and Blizzard is only resisted by Water-types and, with Vaporeon's incredible Special, allows it to deal significant damage to teams. STAB Surf is very powerful, 3HKOing Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Kadabra, and Persian. Crucially, it also lets Vaporeon consistently OHKO Dugtrio, making it a very important check. Blizzard, on the other hand, allows Vaporeon to 2HKOes Venusaur and Dodrio, as well as possibly OHKOing Dragonite. Body Slam enables Vaporeon to hit Water-types and thus the entire tier for neutral damage and scout for switch-ins, critically Tentacruel, which can flip the situation on its head if they get paralyzed. This is of utmost importance, as the threat of paralysis from Body Slam denies Tentacruel free entry: paralyzed. Tentacruel becomes much more manageable if it gets paralyzed, because it has to use Rest much earlier, (period -> comma) Rest finalizes the set, giving, (AC) so Body Slam denies it free entry. Rest gives Vaporeon significant longevity while removing the paralysis it likely absorbed early-game. Vaporeon's enormous Special stat enables it to exert quite a bit of offensive pressure on opposing teams which, combined with its bulk, combined great offensive pressure and bulk warps the opponent's offensive play as well; (period -> semicolon) this should be exploited to force out their key offensive Pokemon while getting free turns to scout with Body Slam.

Vaporeon fits on a variety of teams. Pairing Vaporeon with almost any Flying-type Pokemon, like Dodrio or Aerodactyl, is a good choice thanks to its Ice resistance allowing it to check Articuno for them. Dragonite works particularly well, providing Vaporeon with an Electric neutrality and Grass resistance to fall back on. The two also offer each other essential paralysis support, as Vaporeon can use Body Slam against targets such as Tentacruel and Kadabra, while Dragonite can use Thunder Wave against offensive Normal-type Pokemon. Moreover, Vaporeon paired with any Flying-type Pokemon is a particularly good way to keep Dugtrio guessing, as it's difficult for the Dugtrio player to determine making Dugtrio struggle on whether to use Earthquake, Rock Slide, or Slash. Oftentimes, Dugtrio is forced to use Slash, which is far easier to play around, at least compared to its nuclear Earthquake. Other Ice-weak Pokemon, such as Venusaur and Dugtrio, also appreciate Vaporeon's presence for similar reasons. Vaporeon is also particularly potent makes a particularly potent defensive core alongside the ubiquitous Hypno as well, for they make a very good defensive core; Vaporeon handles Dugtrio and Normal-types, while Hypno handles Electric-types and Venusaur.

Teams at risk of Wrap, particularly those with frailer Pokemon like Kadabra, will also benefit greatly from Vaporeon's presence, since it can take a massive amount of chip damage before it's in KO range for anything. Vaporeon can also be used alongside other bulky Water-types, such as Tentacruel, Gyarados, and Omastar, (AC) to make teams even more resilient to Wrap and offensive pressure. During Rest, it should be remembered remember that being trapped by Wrap still depletes sleep turns, which makes Vaporeon deceptively easy to wake up, which is what makes it up and therefore so effective for these types of teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hydro Pump is an immensely strong option that allows Vaporeon to 2HKO almost any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, with some standout calculations being 2HKOes on Electabuzz, Persian, and Kangaskhan. However, its accuracy and PP leave much to be desired, making what should be the team's anchor very inconsistent. This also makes it easier for opposing Rest users to PP stall it Vaporeon. Acid Armor lets Vaporeon wall physical attackers like Dodrio and Kangaskhan while also allowing it to as well as take much more less chip damage from Wrap, which can define late-game scenarios when its checks are removed. However, since it doesn't help against Persian or special attackers, which are just as common, it's difficult to justify except (assuming you mean "you have to decide if Acid Armor is viable for each specific game before using it, rather than just using it generally") on a game-to-game basis.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gyarados**: Gyarados resists Surf and takes 27.7% from a max roll maximum from Blizzard, all while possessing coverage in Thunderbolt to 4HKO it Vaporeon, which can be turned into a 3HKO with Hyper Beam. Vaporeon simply can't risk contending with a healthy Gyarados and will be forced out by it frequently. Furthermore, if it comes in on a predicted Rest, the best counterplay to Vaporeon is to switch in on a predicted Rest to give it what for, and (feel free to tinker moved phrase) Gyarados is among the best punishes to a resting Vaporeon in the tier thanks to its offensive prowess.

**Venusaur**: Venusaur outspeeds Vaporeon and threatens it with either an uncontested Sleep Powder or a 2HKO from Razor Leaf. Venusaur is a particularly heavy punish to a resting Vaporeon as a result. This The punish especially hurts if it's running Swords Dance, allowing it to set up and still get the 2HKO before it Vaporeon can act. However, Venusaur really doesn't want to switch into Blizzard, which deals up to 60%, adding a degree of risk when playing to the prediction game.

**Haunter**: Haunter is capable of switching in on Vaporeon's Body Slam and can 3HKO with Thunderbolt about half the time. Additionally, if necessary, it can explode to KO Explosion KOes it from half HP. Since it's faster, it can also threaten Vaporeon with Hypnosis.

**Normal-type Attackers**: The best counterplay to Vaporeon is to switch in on a predicted Rest and give it what for. This can be achieved through strong physical attackers, and the resident Normal-types of the tier are best suited for it. Strong physical attackers, like the tier's resident Normal-types, are great at switching in on and punishing Vaporeon's Rest. Persian is the most reliable method of dispatching Vaporeon, 3HKOing it with Slash. While less consistent overall, Dodrio and Kangaskhan can KO Vaporeon after two Body Slams followed by Hyper Beam. However, none of these Pokemon wants to contest Vaporeon's nuclear special offense, attacks, especially if it runs Hydro Pump, which 2HKOes all of them. Even without Hydro Pump, Surf and Blizzard alike have odds to succeed in this regard 2HKO them as well.

**Electric-types**: Electabuzz, Raichu, and the rare Electrode can switch in on Rest and 3HKO Vaporeon with STAB Thunderbolt. Plus, thanks to their high Speed stats, a critical hit from any of them is reasonably likely and can be difficult for Vaporeon to recover from later. In a tight spot, Electrode also guarantees a 2HKO using Thunderbolt + Explosion. However, they all take significant damage from Surf, which they can't afford in the long run. In fact, if they switch in on Surf, they're liable to lose the one-on-one, making them deceptively shaky checks.

**Swords Dance Tentacruel**: If using a Swords Dance set, Tentacruel can swiftly put chip Vaporeon down through Wrap damage and KO it from half HP with a +2 Hyper Beam. However, Tentacruel can't afford to switch into Body Slam, lest it gets forced into Rest much earlier than usual, which and the Swords Dance set rarely uses runs Rest anyway. (I imagine?) If Tentacruel doesn't have Swords Dance, however, Vaporeon can absolutely fish for a Wrap miss to either try for Body Slam paralysis or Rest to PP stall. Ergo, standard Tentacruel sets should not be considered reliable Vaporeon checks.

**Dewgong**: If using Ice Beam, Dewgong can engage in a freeze war with Vaporeon which, considering it's exhausted given it exhausts all its PP, has an 81.98% chance of succeeding. Since its Ice typing makes it immune to being frozen itself, and its Water typing lets it resist Vaporeon's STAB moves, Dewgong is a serviceable answer to Vaporeon. However, Dewgong is less bulky than Vaporeon, making it more difficult to wake up from Rest in the long run. This also causes it to fail to outdamage Vaporeon in prolonged interactions.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]
owo.gif
1/2, lmk if youre not vibin any changes as always

Changes in bold, GP 2/2
View attachment 319780
hey guys did u know--

[OVERVIEW]
Vaporeon stands out as the best out of the many bulky Water-types in RBY UU, providing teams with a backbone against offensive behemoths like Tentacruel and Articuno. It often takes multiple Pokemon to KO Vaporeon, and, (RC) because of its monstrous Special stat, they will also have to take very strong STAB Surfs in the process. Even many super effective attacks, such as a Thunderbolt from Electabuzz Electabuzz's Thunderbolt, will fail to 2HKO it. Vaporeon is capable of dueling and checking mighty physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Dugtrio as well. Vaporeon isn't too concerned about paralysis either, making it one of the best absorbers of the status in the tier. Checking Normal-types, Articuno, Dugtrio, and even Tentacruel all in one, Vaporeon blends offense and defense perfectly, making it a very appreciated addition to many successful RBY UU teams.

Still, though, Vaporeon is very slow, which makes it easy for Dragonite or Tentacruel to exploit with Wrap while it's trying to gain momentum can leave it vulnerable to Wrap from Dragonite or Tentacruel. Worse still, if Vaporeon is low on HP, this Wrap use will deny it from healing off damage with Rest. Vaporeon's reliance on Rest will also let heavy-hitting Pokemon like Persian, Kangaskhan, and Dugtrio safely switch in on the turn Rest is used, putting Vaporeon in a very precarious position. Being outrun by every sleeper in the tier, bar Tangela, can also make Vaporeon easy to put to sleep again after Rest if Sleep Clause isn't active. Finally, Vaporeon lacks coverage for opposing Water-types, though its higher damage output does tend to let it win prolonged interactions.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

The combination of Surf and Blizzard is resisted only by Water-types and, with Vaporeon's incredible Special, allows Vaporeon to deal significant damage to teams thanks to its incredible Special. STAB Surf is very powerful, 3HKOing Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Kadabra, and Persian. Crucially, it also lets Vaporeon consistently OHKO Dugtrio, making it a very important check. Blizzard, on the other hand, 2HKOes Venusaur and Dodrio, as well as possibly OHKOing Dragonite. Body Slam enables Vaporeon to hit Water-types and thus the entire tier for neutral damage and scout for switch-ins, critically Tentacruel, which can flip the situation on its head if they get paralyzed. Tentacruel becomes much more manageable if it gets paralyzed, because it has to use Rest much earlier, so Body Slam denies it free entry. Rest gives Vaporeon significant longevity while removing the paralysis it likely absorbed will likely absorb early-game. Vaporeon's combined great offensive pressure and bulk warps the opponent's offensive play as well; this should be exploited to force out their key offensive Pokemon while getting free turns to scout with Body Slam.

Vaporeon fits on a variety of teams. Pairing Vaporeon with almost any Flying-type Pokemon, like Dodrio or Aerodactyl, is a good choice thanks to its Ice resistance allowing it to check Articuno for them. Dragonite works particularly well, providing Vaporeon with an Electric neutrality and Grass resistance to fall back on. The two also offer each other essential paralysis support, as Vaporeon can use Body Slam against targets such as Tentacruel and Kadabra, while Dragonite can use Thunder Wave against offensive Normal-type Pokemon. Moreover, Vaporeon paired with any Flying-type Pokemon is a particularly good way to keep Dugtrio guessing, making Dugtrio struggle on whether to use wavering between Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Slash. Oftentimes, Dugtrio is forced to use Slash, which is far easier to play around, at least compared to its nuclear Earthquake. Other Ice-weak Pokemon, such as Venusaur and Dugtrio, also appreciate Vaporeon's presence for similar reasons. Vaporeon makes a particularly potent defensive core alongside the ubiquitous Hypno as well; Vaporeon handles Dugtrio and Normal-types, while Hypno handles Electric-types and Venusaur.

Teams at risk of that struggle against Wrap, particularly those with frailer Pokemon like Kadabra, will also benefit greatly from Vaporeon's presence, since it can take a massive amount of chip damage before it's in KO range for anything. Vaporeon can also be used alongside other bulky Water-types, such as Tentacruel, Gyarados, and Omastar, (AC) (don't remove the comma, just the AC) to make teams even more resilient to Wrap and offensive pressure. During Rest, remember that being trapped by Wrap still depletes sleep turns, which makes Vaporeon deceptively easy to wake up and therefore very effective for these types of teams. Vaporeon's HP must be carefully managed when against Wrap users, however. (This whole paragraph contradicts the mentions of Wrap in the overview -- best to add a mention like this)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hydro Pump is an immensely strong option that allows Vaporeon to 2HKO almost any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, with some standout calculations being 2HKOs on Electabuzz, Persian, and Kangaskhan. However, its accuracy and PP leave much to be desired, making what should be the team's anchor very inconsistent. This also makes it easier for opposing Rest users to PP stall Vaporeon. Acid Armor lets Vaporeon wall physical attackers like Dodrio and Kangaskhan as well as take much less chip damage from Wrap, which can define late-game scenarios when its checks are removed. However, since it doesn't help against Persian or special attackers, which are just as common, it's difficult to justify except on a game-to-game basis.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gyarados**: Gyarados resists Surf and takes 27.7% maximum from Blizzard, all while possessing coverage in Thunderbolt to 4HKO Vaporeon, which can be turned into a 3HKO with Hyper Beam. Vaporeon simply can't risk contending with a healthy Gyarados and will be forced out by it frequently. Furthermore, the best counterplay to Vaporeon is to switch in on a predicted Rest to give it what for, and Gyarados is among the best punishes to a resting Vaporeon in the tier thanks to its offensive prowess.

**Venusaur**: Venusaur outspeeds Vaporeon and threatens it with either an uncontested Sleep Powder or a 2HKO from Razor Leaf. Venusaur is a particularly heavy punish to a resting Vaporeon as a result. The punish especially hurts if it's running Swords Dance, allowing it to set up and still get the 2HKO before Vaporeon can act. However, Venusaur really doesn't want to switch into Blizzard, which deals up to 60%, adding a degree of risk to the prediction game.

**Haunter**: Haunter is capable of switching in on Vaporeon's Body Slam and can 3HKO with Thunderbolt about half the time. Additionally, if necessary, Explosion KOes Vaporeon from half HP. Since it's faster, Haunter can also threaten Vaporeon with Hypnosis.

**Normal-type Attackers**: Strong physical attackers, like the tier's resident Normal-types, are great at switching in on and punishing Vaporeon's Rest. Persian is the most reliable method of dispatching Vaporeon, 3HKOing it with Slash. While less consistent overall, Dodrio and Kangaskhan can KO Vaporeon after two Body Slams followed by Hyper Beam. However, none of these Pokemon want to contest Vaporeon's nuclear attacks, especially if it runs Hydro Pump, which 2HKOes all of them. Even without Hydro Pump, Surf and Blizzard alike have odds to 2HKO them as well.

**Swords Dance Tentacruel**: If using a Swords Dance set, Tentacruel can swiftly chip Vaporeon down through Wrap damage and KO it from half HP with a +2 Hyper Beam. However, Tentacruel can't afford to switch into Body Slam, lest it gets forced into Rest much earlier than usual, and the Swords Dance set rarely runs Rest anyway. If Tentacruel doesn't have Swords Dance, however, Vaporeon can absolutely fish for a Wrap miss to either try for Body Slam paralysis or use Rest to PP stall. Ergo, standard Tentacruel sets should not be considered reliable Vaporeon checks.

**Dewgong**: If using Ice Beam, Dewgong can engage in a freeze war with Vaporeon which, given it exhausts all its PP, has an 81.98% chance of succeeding. Since its Ice typing makes it immune to being frozen itself, and its Water typing lets it resist Vaporeon's STAB moves, Dewgong is a serviceable answer to Vaporeon. However, Dewgong is less bulky than Vaporeon, making it more difficult to wake up from Rest in the long run. This also causes it to fail to outdamage Vaporeon in prolonged interactions.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)