Venonat Revamp (QC 2/3)

OVERVIEW]
-Venonat stands out with it's extensive utility movepool, including Thief, Toxic Spikes, Morning sun, and Sleep powder
-Compound Eyes is great, giving it 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder
-Typing gives it two 4x resistances to fairly common types- Fighting and Grass.
-However, it also has common weaknesses to flying, fire, rock, and psychic
-This also gives it a weakness to SR, which shortens is longevity even with reliable recovery in morning sun
-unfortunately can't easily counter Mienfoo, because of U-turn/acrobatics

[SET]
name: Toxic Spikes Setter
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Signal Beam / Giga Drain
move 4: Morning Sun / Thief / Giga Drain
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice
ability: Compound Eyes / Tinted Lens
nature: Timid
evs: 36 HP / 116 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Toxic Spikes are annoying for most teams, wearing down all grounded non-poison Pokemon, as well as breaking Sturdy/sash (except abra), and generally wearing down most set-up sweepers
-Sleep Powder allows for T-spikes to be put up easier. It also allows Venonat to cripple one of the opposing pokemon, effectively taking it out of the battle for a while
-Signal Beam is a basic STAB move
-Giga Drain works better with Tinted Lens, and gives it recovery while applying more offensive pressure
-Morning sun gives it much more longevity, and works better with Eviolite
-Thief should only be used with Berry Juice, and allows Venonat to take items from a lot of it's switches, excluding fletchling

Set Details
========

-fast as possible, hitting 15 speed, while still being bulky enough to take hits. Lives acro from fletch 93.7% of the time with eviolite.
-leftover 36 into SpAttck
-Uneven HP number to take less damage from Stealth Rocks
-Berry Juice for Thief shenanigans and to better fare against Stealth Rocks
-Compound eyes gives a 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder
-Tinted Lens allows it to cause a lot more offensive pressure at the cost of risking the miss with Sleep Powder

Usage Tips
========
-Bring in on fairies, mainly Snubull and Spritzee, as it can easily tank any hit from them and get free T-spikes or sleep
-Sleep something relevant switching in, like Fletchling, Ponyta, or Archen
-Get T-spikes up as often as possible
-Bring in on Fighting moves to get an easy sleep/T-spikes
-Often doesn't need to stay alive the whole game, so it will probably be sacked fairly often

Team Options
========
-Pawniard deters opponent from defogging,
-Ghost SpinBlockers such as Pumpkaboo, Drifloon, Frillish, and Gastly
-Diglett/Gothita for trapping Poison-type t-spike absorbers. Diglett deals with Stunky and Sucker Punch Croagunk better. Gothita works better against Foongus. They both do equally well against other relevant T-spike absorbers like Trubbish and Skrelp.
-Things to handle flying types (Magnemite, Onix, Omanyte, Tirtouga, and chinchou)
-Something to deal with fire types (Water-types like Chinchou, Omanyte and Tirtouga, Onix)
-Something to handle Abra like Pursuit trappers (Stunky and munchlax in particular take little damage from Abra.) Honedge can also work unless Abra has Shadow Ball.
-Things that appreciates opposing pokemon being poisoned like: VenoHex Gastly, Hex Drifloon, and Stally stuff like Spritzee. Drifloon and Gastly can also work as Spinblockers, making them ideal partners.
-Rapid Spin/Defoggers like Vullaby, Drilbur, Archen, and Staryu all help Venonat live longer, as they can get rid of Stealth Rock.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-Stun Spore can be used, butwith T-spikes and Sleep Powder it is often unable to paralyse anything
-Agillity/Baton pass can be used somewhat effectively due to Sleep Powder, but is usually outclassed by Torchic.
-Disable can be used to help teammates, but Venonat rarely benifits from it itself
-Venoshock can be used to abuse Toxic Spikes, but again, Venonat lacks the power to make full use of it
-Psychic can be used to hit the Fighting Types that it likes switching into, but they will usually switch out anyway
-Offensive Tinted Lens can be used, but Venonat lacks the raw power or set-up moves to really take advantage of it

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying Types**: can usually OHKO Venonat with their STAB moves, especially Vullaby as it absorbs sleep powder and can defog away the Toxic Spikes that Venonat tries to set up. Fletchling can also OHKO Berry Juice Venonat and only requires a tiny bit of prior damage to OHKO eviolite.

**Foongus**: Walls Venonat no matter what moves it runs, as well as absorbing Toxic Spikes. Though it can't do a massive amount of damage in return, it can also send Venonat to sleep.

**Stealth Rock**: Whittles down Venonat easily, making it more difficult to wall fighting types. This is somewhat mitigated by Morning Sun.

**Faster Leads**: especially Onix and Dwebble, as they both have a good chance to OHKO Venonat. Onix can also Taunt Venonat. Aipom can also kill Eviolite Veno with Fake Out+Fury Swipes, though Berry Juice lives it. Mienfoo, while effectively walled by Venonat, can easily switch out with U-turn into a counter. This does allow Venonat to get a free sleep powder or Toxic Spikes off, however.

**Faster Psychic types**: such as Abra, Gothita, and Natu can all do massive damage or OHKO Venonat. Natu is particularly threatening, as it can bounce back Sleep Powder and Toxic Spikes.

**Fast Taunt users**: like Mienfoo and Onix can both prevent Venonat from getting it's Toxic Spikes up or sending them to sleep.

**Fire Types**: Like Ponyta, Larvesta, and Houndour can often OHKO Venonat, though they can be slept on the switch.

**Grounded poison types** like Stunky, Skrelp, Croagunk and the aforementioned FOongus can absorb Toxic Spikes, though Foongus, Trubbish, Croagunk can't do much in return.

Last edited:
Venohex Gastly/Floon appreciate tspikes and spinblock.

Dry pass OO? Venonat isn't that important to keep alive after it sleeps + gets a layer. Not sure if legal though

Stun spore oo, accurate and works vs ground but kinda redundant eith tspikes

it can't be fast AND bulky as possible

spinblockers and pawn in team options

Grounded poisons and vullaby+foongus in counters for sleep immune

Last edited:
Venohex Gastly/Floon appreciate tspikes and spinblock.

Dry pass OO? Venonat isn't that important to keep alive after it sleeps + gets a layer. Not sure if legal though

Stun spore oo, accurate and works vs ground but kinda redundant eith tspikes

it can't be fast AND bulky as possible

spinblockers and pawn in team option
Grounded poisons and vullaby+foongus in counters for sleep immune
Thanks, probably would have missed at least a few of them before QC, so it really helped out :]

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
[OVERVIEW]
mention first of all that it has access to toxic spikes/thief/morning sun/sleep powder which are all good utility moves
-seems outclassed at first glance in what? by which mons?
-Compound Eyes+Sleep Powder for utility, Tinted Lens for more offensive pressure against Defoggers. However, it's still pretty weak even with Tinted Lens.
-Tinted Lens gives better offensive pressure
-Reliable Recovery (Morning Sun)
-Common Weaknesses which ones?
-Lack of offensive pressure even with Tinted Lens
-Weak to SR
-Isn't that good at countering Fighting types anyway explain why. this isn't in accordance to what you have written in Usage Tips btw.

[SET]
name: Toxic Spikes Setter
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Signal Beam/Giga Drain
move 4: Morning Sun/Thief / Giga Drain
item: Eviolite/Berry Juice
ability: Compound Eyes/Tinted Lens
nature: Timid
evs: 36 HP / 116 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Toxic Spikes are annoying for most teams in which sense? expand this
-Sleep Powder allows for T-spikes to be put up easier, as well as generally making the opposing team end this sentence
-Giga Drain works better with Tinted Lens, and gives it recovery while applying more offensive pressure
-Signal Beam is basic STAB move
-Thief should only be used with Berry Juice, and allows Venonat to take items from a lot of it's switches
-Morning sun gives it much more longevity, and works better with Eviolite put this before thief: moves description must be in the same order as in your set

Set Details
========

-fast as possible while still being bulky how much speed does it reach?
-leftover 36 into SpAttck
-lives acro from fletch 93.7% of the time this goes after talking about its bulk in the first point
-Gets the most out of EV's
-Uneven HP number to do what?
-Eviolite for simple bulk same as acro fletch: merge this in the first point
-Berry Juice for Thief shenanigans and to better fare against Stealth Rocks
-Tinted Lens allows it to cause a lot more offensive pressure
-Compound eyes gives a 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder the main ability is compound eyes: so once again, this goes first

Usage Tips
========
-Bring in on fairies such as?
-Sleep something relevant examples
-Get T-spikes up as much as possible
-Bring in on Fighting moves to get an easy sleep/T-spikes
-Often doesn't need to stay alive the whole game, so it will probably be sacked fairly often

Team Options
========
-Pawniard to block Defog pawniard being present in team preview deters defoggers from using such move
-Ghost SpinBlockers such as?
-Diglett/Gothita for trapping Poison-type t-spike absorbers give examples (dig for stunky, goth for foongus, skrelp)
-Things to handle flying types (Magnemite, Onix, Omanyte and Tirtouga) chinchou too
-Something to deal with fire types (Water-types like Chinchou, Omanyte and Tirtouga, Onix,)
-Something to handle Abra (Pursuit Trapping, Ferroseed, Diglett again) mention some examples pursuit trappers
-Things that appreciates opposing pokemon being poisoned like: VenoHex Gastly Hex Drifloon Stally stuff like Spritzee say that gastly and drifloon are cool because they act as spinblockers as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-Offensive Tinted Lens
-AgilliPass/DryPass
-Disable
-Venoshock
-Psychic
-Stun Spore

give more details on these moves/sets

Checks and Counters
===================

-Flying Types especially Vullaby as it absorbs sleep powder and can defog away hazards
-Foongus, though it often can't do much back it removes toxic spikes entering the field though
-Stealth Rock
-Faster Leads like Onix and Dwebble what do they do?
-Abra faster psychic-types: abra, gothita...
-Fast Taunt users such as?
-Fire Types (Especially Early Bird Houndour) early bird houndour isn't viable. Say that they can OHKO Venonat, though they can't really switch into the field for free due to Sleep Powder.
-Grounded poison types can get rid of T-spikes examples
Hello, changes are in bold. Implement them, then tag me. I will quickly re-check this analysis and then i'll stamp this with QC 1/3. Always remember for future analysis to give examples when you talk about common threats, common Fire-types, etc. Assume the reader doesn't know much about the metagame you are writing the analysis for. Always be sure to give detailed reasons of what you are writing. I know it's only the bullet form, but it's better to have it done before you get to the "writing up phase".
Remember to follow the standard format for Checks & Counters:

**Flying-types**: Flying-types are particularly dangerous for Venonat, since they can either KO it with a super-effective STAB move or force it out. For instance Vullaby takes very little damage from Venonat's weak attacks and is capable of Defogging away Toxic Spikes.

Good luck with your analysis.

Tricking I put everything you said in, as well as generally fleshing things out.

I think I misunderstood how much writing had to be in the skeleton/dot points phase, and was thinking more of notes rather than just a less structured analysis.

EDIT: Also someone should change the Houndour analysis then if Early Bird isn't viable...

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Insulted because I wrote the original Venonat analysis and my shit is timeless

Add more to the Checks and Counters section, it can't be that barebones when it's written up. I'll go ahead and give this QC 2/3 as long as you expand on that when you write this up before your last check.

Hi! I'm not QC but these are my ideas...

Overview: Acrobatics on Mienfoo isn't much of a problem, really (only 20% usage and 2-3HKoes if Mienfoo still has an item). I'd mention Taunt, though, as it can cripple Venonat.
Moves: I suppose thief could work with Eviolite, if you need a last-ditch knock off switch.
Details: I'd probably just mention sleep powders accuracy once-it's already said.
Usage: Use as death fodder once you've set up spikes and put something to sleep? It can probably anti-lead by sleeping the lead them setting up. Also, putting something about it soaking up toxic spikes itself could be cool. If the opposition has a grounded poison type, only setup toxic spikes after it's defeated. Probably also be careful you put a half-decent mon to sleep. I once lost a game due to a Magikarp switching in on my sleep powder but... nevermind.
Checks: You've listed Foongus, saying it walls it, but them you've put it in grounded poison types, saying it does nothing against it. I'd probably just merge the two.

Good luck, anyway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)