Verbatim Wireless Keyboard: Unusable by Design

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yesterday, I found myself in need of a wireless keyboard/mouse to use with my computer, which is hooked up to a 40" TV so I can use it while lying on my bed. I previously used a long USB extension cord, but since we got a cat and he likes to destroy such cords, that's no longer an option. So I go to the store and buy a combination wireless keyboard and mouse, made by Verbatim. $40 for the set, which they apparently don't intend for people to actually use.

I get home, hook everything up, install the software, and it works. However, when I'm done using the computer and shut everything down, I notice the mouse and keyboard did not turn off. That's ok, I figure, they'll shut themselves off after a certain amount of time with no response from the receiver.

Ten minutes later, they're still on, and I haven't found any sort of power button on the devices or referred to in the user's manual. At this point, I actually call technical support, and after the guy in India gets done taking down my name, phone number, address, and everything else he doesn't need to know to tell me how to use my keyboard, he tells me that the only way to shut down the devices is through the software I installed on my computer. Which is fine and dandy, except once I turn off the keyboard and mouse, I have no way to turn off my computer, short of using a second wired mouse, which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place. I explained this to the customer service guy, and he actually suggested I return it to the store and buy a different product. That's exactly what I'm going to do, but it annoys me to no end that someone would actually allow a design like this to go all the way to market without using his brain first.

Sounds like you got trolled in real life. :/ In all seriousness though, I would probably be pretty pissed about it too. It is rather moronic that a company wouldn't think of that...

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
can't you just remove the batteries from the keyboard/mouse

i have a wireless keyboard/mouse with my desktop and remove the batteries from the mouse when not in use (i leave the keyboard ones in because it's more tedious to remove and replace batteries and the keyboard lasts months so there's no problem with just leaving them in)

Syberia

[custom user title]
Coincidentally, the batteries are not easy to insert/install, due to an opening for the battery slot that is not as long as the battery.

Well, I got a solution that I hope should work. Since you have a computer, I assume that your CPU would be connected to it. So you shut down the mouse and keyboard and push the off button on the CPU. However, this isn't very good for the computer, but if you wanna get your money's worth, it's an ok way to go. However I would just return it for my $40, buy another wireless keyboard/mouse and prank call customer support so that way, you get the things you need plus a little something something.

- LB -

Wow, I wonder what idiot came up with that? Seriously, you'd think someone else would have had the same problem?

Frankly, the fact that this even got to the market is rather ridiculous.

Set a timed shutdown, then turn off the mouse and keyboard. Hopefully they'll turn on when you turn it back on, but no guarantees.

Syberia

[custom user title]
I returned the fucker for a different brand that didn't work, returned that one again and finally got one that works and... has an on/off switch!

After this whole experience, I really do feel like I was trolled in real life :(

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do your research before buying? There are reviews by customers and professionals on every worthwhile product. I usually stick with Logitech when it comes to these types of accessories.

lol. TROLLED!
Seriously, What the fuck? How do you overlook that on something you actually SELL? lol. Anyways, glad you got a new one, because that's just retarded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)