VGC '12 United Kingdom National - Birmingham - March 3 - WON BY KobraTail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost Round 2. I'd say the fact I rolled minimum damage against a Cresselia twice and then when I got a decent damage roll it lived with 2HP is the hax that cost me my game but all that did was halt my comeback, I was on the back foot for the entire game and lost to someone worthy though I have no idea how well he did afterwards.

as a day overall, I thought it was an absolutely abysmal day, but this is only because I was absolutely physically destroyed by lack of sleep and started feeling ill, forcing me to head home around 10. So I missed the final rounds and didn't really get to hang out with many people. I'm told the final wasn't really that good but I don't know, I was sleeping on a train at the time.

I think the experience of competing in the last 2 years has taught me a little something and I feel like I'm only ever going to compete for fun again in the future. Last year, I tried so hard to win and in the end, played horrendously and deserved to lose but didn't deserve to even get as far as I did. This year, I was using a team that wasn't worked on tirelessly to perfection, I was using an OU team (someone else had given me) that I'd adapted to play in doubles with Protect over the likes of Stealth Rocks, Rapid Spin and Swords Dance. It was actually the best team I've ever used in terms of success and how I felt using it. I wasn't as directly focused on the idea of going to Worlds and such and in the end had 2 excellent battles. I might upload my Round 1 match later after rewatching it.

Considering what I've seen, I imagine that out of all the people who went the people who had the best time were the Cosplay Champions. (My hat would go off to you lot if I had one.) After all, what my friend who I went with said "It's a game, have fun". He uses a team of favourites which is more or less Mono-Psychic and he had a great time.

My point is that what I intend to do in future years is concentrate on having a good time and whatever happens in terms of results, happens.

Congrats to the Top 4 and anyone else who beat expectations.

My point is that what I intend to do in future years is concentrate on having a good time and whatever happens in terms of results, happens.
If I've learned anything about video game events over the years this is the way to do things, man. Sorry it didn't work out for you this year but good perspective to get out of it, I think.

Jajaja but kin that's the point I'm pretty sure you read that properly right, that is what I mean by exceptional. That I lasted so long through pisstakingly hard hax proves my point, even.

I haven't actually lost a match to losing the game in my last 3 VGCs remember, only timer
!
In fairness Zog, add an extra minute to the time and I would've won. Stop bitching and move on, you don't hear gree moaning

Is there any video of the Masters final Between Gary and RubeNCB?
I was at the event but didn't stay long, only dropped by to grab a shiny.

+1 internets for Otherbuttons drawing of a very British Tea-pig

Oh I love that! Good pic. Do you do lots of drawing?

Is it sad that I am starting to look forward to seeing that woman? :) she's had a hair cut i noticed. It's shorter this year.

I want them to give away something next year that's really hard to say just to hear her repeat it all day!
Thanks! I do, indeed.

I hope they give her a Japanese name to say or something, because it would be hilarious. I wonder he she pronounces the Gen. 5 legendary names...

Also, I'm kind of curious what the attendants thought of people chanting for "Gary" when the finalists were called Ben and Ruben...
When we originally started started chanting, I didn't even realise his name was Ben. |D I could barely see the screen and Yoshiken was up on the only chair that wasn't taken (which I did hi-jack, and was nearly pushed off for quoting a Gary fanclub chant from dub) , so I couldn't see the names properly.

I figured that everyone caught on about what that team was and the attendants just went along with it. Some of the attendants were Pokémon fans anyway, so might have figured.

Whatever it was, it made for a really fun atmosphere!

All of the cosplayers at the event made me smile!
I'm actually really sad that this was the only event (out of everything: Expos, cons, etc.) that I haven't cosplayed too, because it looked like so much more fun. ;-; But there was no way I was making another Pokémon costume in a short time span. Next time, though!

Is there any video of the Masters final Between Gary and RubenNCB?
I was at the event but didn't stay long, only dropped by to grab a shiny.

+1 internets for Otherbuttons drawing of a very British Tea-pig
One of our group took one. Not sure when it's going up though (and not to mention we were right at the back, so I have no clue on quality). Orrr- as realised half-way through writing this post- someone's just posted it! Which I am certainly going to watch ASAP.

And oh, I get internets now? Why, thankyou! ♥

Lol just reread and it does look a bit like I was bitching (wasn't intending to jajaja).

Although Nido rofl
you don't hear gree moaning
(and he does have absolutely every right to). I'm not annoyed at you by the way lol if anyone I'm annoyed at god. For your garchomp to have a 100% working sand veil over HP ice and 3 earthquakes if you remember (protect doesn't count as breaking them being consecutive), I'm wondering what the hell I have done to be so karmically imbalanced.

I'm just not happy with how this was to my knowledge the most imbalanced tournament to ever happen in VGC. It doesn't look like people who weren't there are getting how bad it was to be honest; for me to be going on about hax it should be apparent that it was legitimately horrible hax. Hax so bad it literally hurts children. Not "Hur dur i got critted once and my hydro pump also missed fkin haxer" but rather "I got critted and sand veiled several times a game for the first 4 rounds then got critted and sandveiled repeatedly against an actually good player and still only lost on timer".

I had a great day out, I came 10th in the end losing to Ben(Gary Oak) in top 16, he seemed like a really nice guy, and massive respect to him for using a themed team and coming second with it. His team caught me by surprise so many times. I was a bit disappointed I didn't do as well as last year, but at least I have a few more attempts at it.

Yeah this VGC was very surprising, but as everyone is saying, its pokemon, swallow the pain and move on. Alternatively, at the same time, we all put a lot of effort into it, and everyone deserves to vent some steam, we are all only human after all, I know I moaned after I lost lol, even though I lost fair and square

RubeNCB92 is a really cool guy and deserved to win it, and I am grateful he friend ruled me in top 16, hope I get high enough to play him at Birmingham VGC13 next year.

I had a great day out, I came 10th in the end losing to Ben(Gary Oak) in top 16, he seemed like a really nice guy, and massive respect to him for using a themed team and coming second with it. His team caught me by surprise so many times. I was a bit disappointed I didn't do as well as last year, but at least I have a few more attempts at it.

Yeah this VGC was very surprising, but as everyone is saying, its pokemon, swallow the pain and move on.

RubeNCB92 is a really cool guy and deserved to win it, and I am grateful he friend ruled me in top 16, hope I get high enough to play him at Birmingham VGC13 next year.
Yeah I heard Ruben was friend ruling me too or something but I saw him empty on a table and just went in all guns blazing into my impending death lol

Back on the whole Uk vs Europe debate for a brief second:
I lost to piccolo in round 4, and i wasn't too bothered by it, if he wants to pay all that money just to get an extra shot at finals, good on him, i'll always have next year, and round 4 was a good shot at my first VGC, and he played really well.

Having said that, i'd appreciate it if they moved the times of the european finals round on consecutive years, so that one year it's UK first, then spain first, then germany etc, so you don't have someone like Ruben winning UK every year, because on one year he'd be competing (and winning) in spain that year.

But i completely understand the Ruben complaints, he was just EXUDING arrogance there. Even staff memebers i was talking to were complaining about it at the end of the event. He just didn't come off well, and i think he's actually shifting a lot of people's opinion on the whole issue

Having met Ruben at Worlds last year, I can see why people are annoyed by his behavior when playing Pokemon. Yes, he does scream and get incredibly excited over the games. Yes, he wears a flag representing his country everywhere. Yes, he's incredibly confident in winning. He's definitely a unique character.

But to be honest, I think his attitude really made Worlds a lot more fun and interesting for me. He's an incredibly cool guy when not playing Pokemon, and if you talked to him or met him, you would realize he's actually really nice and hilarious. I don't think anyone has the right to be arrogant, but if there's anyone in Europe who does, it should be Ruben. He has the best record out of anyone by far, qualifying for Worlds with a free trip in 2010, 2011, and 2012, and he's the first consecutive National Champion in the entire world as well as a semi-finalst at Worlds in 2011. That's pretty damn impressive. I'm not saying that being good at anything gives you the right to be arrogant, but I can see why Ruben, out of anyone, would be.

This has been covered on the last page by Kinneas but I think a lot of people mistake Ruben's excitement and happiness for arrogance. He loves playing mons, and he's good at it. He makes it back to the finals of UK. That's pretty darn exciting, imo. Sure, some of his moves/gestures/screams may come off annoying, but he's lively and really gets into it.

Re Ruben's un-sportsmanship: I'm pretty sure it's just Chinese whispers started by people upset about losing to him, though I'm sure his confidence doesn't do him any favours. I've never heard of him actually offending anyone; he shook Ben's hand before and after, and they even had an awkward sort of half-hug (a la Malfoy & Voldermort), although if I remember correctly he once started celebrating right before his move missed.
Besides the fact that, let's face it, a lot of people at the VGC (and in the Pokémon fanbase in general) are a bit weird, so somebody a bit overconfident isn't really the biggest complaint I would have.

Re Ben/Gary's success: I think a lot of it comes from the fact that nobody expected to come up against a gimmick team (or at least, not a good one) since everybody else good would just be going with the standard Chandelure, Tyranitar, Lati@s etc.
Also, I'm seeing him later today, so I can get a video recording from his own DS if anybody wants it. Don't know if it'd be better quality than the one filmed from the screens.

Also, I'm seeing him later today, so I can get a video recording from his own DS if anybody wants it. Don't know if it'd be better quality than the one filmed from the screens.
If it is, then I'd say put it up on Youtube. The filmed one posted earlier is good, but the shaking was kind of annoying by the end of it (I guess their arms were hurting, which isn't their fault; it's just a little unfortunate.)

Yeah one of us can grab the battle number for you later I'd imagine =]

As one of the cosplayers (Cynthia) I have to say that the event was so much more fun when I wasn't taking it seriously! Last year I entered with a team that, while it was still pretty rubbish, I'd actually tried to build properly, and it was so much more stressful! This year, being restricted to only using Cynthia's Pokémon, I kinda just made the best I could out of what I had and didn't really care if I lost because it didn't matter ^^ I ended up with something completely bizarre involving two Tailwinders (Togekiss and Braviary), and a max Attack, Expert Belt Spiritomb just in case I saw a Latios.. Garchomp, Eelektross and Lucario were my others.

I got knocked out in the second round, no surprise, but I actually managed to win something like 5 of my 7 battles with random people outside the tournament so I was pretty happy! =] all round it was a really fun day, we were delighted that people liked our costumes and every single one of us did at least as well as last year when we tried to make proper teams, some of us doing better! I think that in restricting ourselves to our theme it actually massively helped us to build our teams - we made the best we could out of what we had, and that helped us know exactly what was wrong with the team so that (if we weren't sticking to the theme as strongly as we did) we could bring something in to fix it.

It was so cool that Ben managed to come second - after watching him spending months playtesting on SkarmBliss and non-RNG breeding his team (I doubt he ever wants to look at Nidoking again after that), I think he deserved to do well ^^

But naturally, in the end the better player won so massive congratulations to Ruben for winning (coming top of the UK nationals two years in a row is a pretty cool achievement!) and Ben for getting so far, and good luck to everyone who got into Worlds!

You don't happen to have a recording of this battle do you? ^^

I remember seeing those group of people, I was right infront if them at the line. I probably should have stayed longer tbh. Then again, I didn't know anybody sadly.
It was good to meet you! Yeh, me and my friend stayed until maybe an hour after the Master's final... you could have found us.

Re: The Ruben thing... I was unlucky (I suppose) to come across him in the second round - but I gave him a pretty close game (2-1 when timer ran out) and he seemed relieved to get through. To me, he seemed like a really nice guy and he said to me that we should all battle "for smogon"... I wouldn't have got a picture with him (a few pages back) if I didn't think he was a nice guy. He's Spanish; he just does stuff with a bit more flair, hahaha.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
are people really bitching about rubens flamboyance???? Thats bad guys, he was one of the reasons last year was so fun for me, just because he doesn't sit there like a boring stump doesn't mean you should hate on him for it. It also just so happens he was the best vgc player in the uk for two years running...

thanks or all your gratulations and cheerings during the battles! iam feelling somewhat happy but also exhausted, that was really a tense tournament..still i think it was about time ,after so many close tries, that i have qualified (and a paid trip) for worlds, i have to admit though, that i got lucky on the one or other situation.

and yeah béfore someone starts to troll me: that gary team was something i didnt expect and i had also no chandelure in my team...my team was bassiclly made against all goodstuff and wheater teams and it worked quite well and i really think i could have beaten Ruben after watching the final, because his team was so standard ,more standard is not possible xDDD my opponent in the semis dserved the win, he played very well and if you can handle a very uncommon team against the standard teams then you must be very familar with it.

my 2 cents about the UK/Europe thing: oh well, its not just like that iam the rich guy who can expend a massive amount of money just to travel accross europe. i actually had really work hard for it and yeah you are all very welcome to do the same thing... i have to agree with a post before, if 2 foreign players getting the trips , then its not their fault. What shall the french player say , i think except 2011 there was no french winning a national on all vgcs (here a special greeting to GAEL , lol nobody recognizes the french finalist 2009 but i did and he came to top 12 in uk ). just play better. ;) i have to agree though that TPCI need to change the format for european nationals. not the country lock, but single elimination just cries for HAX. that does it not even make it better that you can travel around europe.

about ruben: i talked to him after the finals and he was one of the friedliest guy around there. yeah he is prode of himselfs but every does , if you reach it finnaly to the top. me included.

about hax: i lost in paris round 4 against a 16 years old master using giliotine hitting 3 times in a row. its just a part of the game, if you cant handle it go play chess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)