VGC '12 United States National - Indianapolis - WON by Cybertron and Wolfey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to everyone who won trips to worlds today, especially my boys Aaron and Jonathan :) Ugh I wish I could've been there with all of you guys this weekend but now I guess I have even more of a reason to do well this fall!

First things first, thanks to everyone here for the best weekend of the year, and congrats to Wolfe and Aaron AGAIN!

Just spouting some random thoughts and self-reflection on VGC stuff, feel free to read/respond if you've got time:
-I learned about VGC only about 14 months ago. Since then, I've found this is one of the best communities and in general, the entire Pokemon VGC community is awesome. Spending these 3-4 days together for a weekend is beyond amazing. :D

-For people saying that "this is easy" or "it all comes down to luck", come on. We have had back to back champions in each division. That is not luck. The people they had to play, the levels of strategy used (approach to the tournament, approach to the battle, approach to each turn...), everything...once you start to understand these things, it's not hard to understand how Wolfe and Cybertron won again.

-Having everyone be so helpful and open to just hanging out is also awesome. Most people get the impression that these conventions are just "nerd fests" or something. While Pokemon can be considered quite nerdy in general, the majority of people at the events are really not that antisocial, awkward, or whatever. Infact, it's more of the opposite- everyone's MORE social and wants to do more things.

-Regionals...what can I say. Getting a two round bye was extremely crucial for players this year. I honestly believe byes should be given based on attendance, and a small top cut should be done at regionals (top 8-16, depending on the attendance as well). HOWEVER that being said, winning a "weak" regional does not really mean anything in regards to overall skill. I can't even count the number of times I heard the casual "oh you won Madison, that was weak, you can't claim respect". No one's asking for personal respect, really, we're just asking that you can respect the fact that we can't travel across the nation every single time to play the "best" because of monetary reasons. Hence why I dragged as many as I could to Madison. #minirant

-While I did get top 8, I realize there is a very good reason why I lost. I simply got outplayed, outteamed, and flat out countered by a better player, and it was apparent in the match results. I lost to Sandman (Joe Pulkowski) and ended up not even standing much of a chance because of how well he played. He put me in a bad position from turn 1, and it drove me nuts. Congrats to him on being so strong, he more or less flew completely under the radar and it paid off.

-You want to be the best? Don't make excuses. Don't make compromises. "Oh, this game is all hax anyways" is not going to take you anywhere. Have fun, be smart, and try to make everything as optimal as possible. When something goes wrong, stand back and do some self-reflection. What could you have done to make it go better? If you're not sure, ask around. Get to know some good players. Understand what the best do. Today was a HUGE learning lesson for me in how to play very well- I'd like to give a shout out (or rather, an AWOOOO) Wolfe for opening my eyes to this about a week before nats- taking the road less traveled is actually usually the right way to go. HOWEVER do not misinterpret that phrase, as there are TONS of roads that are less traveled, meaning there is a slim chance your "less traveled road" is the optimal route. Having smarts and understanding helps you take the correct road, and the only way to do that? Read the first three mini-sentences of this bullet point.

-Just have fun at events. Really. Some people get too worked up, start crying, raging, throwing stuff around the convention center, blowing off their opponents' handshake, or just not talking at all. IT IS A SOCIAL EVENT. INTERACT WITH OTHERS. HAVE FUN. Enjoy your matches, joke around with your opponent, make it less stressful on both of you and just relax and both put on your best. Don't be that guy that flips a table when you lose a match, or the one that cries after you get crit through your Yache Berry (not mentioning anyone specific, but you get the idea). Be the one that laughs at the unfortunate amount of bad luck, and relax next turn knowing you really have nothing to lose. Take this attitude home after nats as well, as it is good to practice being a good opponent and a fun player to be around on the Pokemon Online servers and on the GBU, or wherever you practice.

Blah, that felt like a Zog rant, but it really is just what's been running through my mind today. It's been a really positive experience both gaming-wise and socially, and I can honestly say I enjoyed every moment in this weekend, whether it was the dangerously exciting drive down, the Brawl tournament Friday night, the matches Saturday, actually making top cut, the "drunk stories", the Caprinigs asking me to go do laundry, or the plushie hunting. Thanks to everyone again for being a fantastic community, I'm super excited for regionals again. :]

Oh, and warstory coming soon. I will do everything I can to make it up to Cybertron-level. Feel free to send me any pics (ZachDro@Live.com) so I can add them to the warstory- I'll be sure to give you credit for them! Now for plushie hunting with Macle and the drive home.

Cheers.

Shii

zap
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
who knew Slowking could learn flamethrower lol
Eep does lols

Well, this was a great nats to come to this year. I'm glad I won a battle considering I had never been to a vgc event at all before. I was like hella scared at first, but it was really fun meeting everyone and hanging out! Congrats to Wolfe and Cybertron, both well deserved. :>

P.S. pictures suk and bearsfan is lord of the dance

Cybertron da best! Congratulations man, you deserved it. Your brother should have advanced to day 2 and fought my brother, but I'm sure he'll kick butt at Worlds with you. Congrats again and major props for naming your team after the Legend of Korra. :)

figured i'd repost this here from nuggetbridge since its safer to assume the people mentioned will read it here:

Not sure how many of them will read this, but congrats to Cybertron, Wolfey, and all the other people who earned trips to Hawaii today. Everyone put on a great show as always and I think for the most part the people who got the trips in both divisions we watched really deserve them, even though they weren't all favorites coming in. I enjoyed Wolfey vs sandman a lot and wish it had gone to a third game, both teams were interesting(especially sandman's, obviously) and both players were pretty warm with predictions by that point in the afternoon, would have enjoyed seeing them go at it more. Think they'll both do great at Worlds, entertaining and talented trainers.

I was pretty proud of Zach and Luke, even though they didn't end up getting the trips. I'm not like super close with either of them, but I see them a bit more often than some of the other players since they're in my regionals region, and I think they're both good players who've worked hard and who have grown up a bit before us in the last year or so, so it's really easy to root for both of them. Glad they both did well even if they fell a bit short of their goals, they deserved their strong showings. I was really glad Cassie cut also, think there's a good chunk of us who wouldn't have even been able to play without her, so it's justice she got to play into Sunday.

I should comment on the 17th again(and 33rd overall) thing but not much to say. Shit happens and if I want to cut I should stop losing games. I'll write up a tournament report(on NB) about the matches and the situation later, but while it hurt a lot more on Sunday this time than it did last year (I actually slipped away once for a bit because of it) I kinda feel worse for a couple people I think got much shorter ends of the stick like Crow -- who based on his play deserved a much better fate than the one he got -- and EnFuego(even though I'm not really sure what happened in those matches, he's worked too much to get knocked off by fucking Joel of all people, funny as that was).

Had a fantastic time on the social end, as always. Was great to hang out with everyone and enjoyed getting to slip away a little more to talk in smaller groups with people than last year. ilu guys

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I'm so sad I didn't get to go that I'm going on a (cheaper, closer) trip all of this week to compensate. No, really, I'm dead serious. It sounds like everyone had an amazing time. I did at Worlds and every regionals so it saddens me I wasn't able to show up to this.

Congrats to Aaron and Wolfe, both of them are amazing battlers. Are any videos up yet?

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Eep does lols

Well, this was a great nats to come to this year. I'm glad I won a battle considering I had never been to a vgc event at all before. I was like hella scared at first, but it was really fun meeting everyone and hanging out! Congrats to Wolfe and Cybertron, both well deserved. :>

P.S. pictures suk and bearsfan is lord of the dance
Boo!!!! Shii didn't want no picture!!!

P.S. Cybertron and Wolfe are two scrawny kids. Haha!!! Congrats to both of you!

P.P.S. I recorded the hax filled deciding match between Crow and TTS and have it uploaded in my channel.

P.P.P.S. Korra is not a Cresselia and Amon is too badass to be a Scizor, Cybertron!!!! >:(

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
shouldve used a yamask for amon cybertron ;)

still gratz to the winners and everyone else that won a trip to hawaii :)

First things first, thanks to everyone here for the best weekend of the year, and congrats to Wolfe and Aaron AGAIN!

Just spouting some random thoughts and self-reflection on VGC stuff, feel free to read/respond if you've got time:
-I learned about VGC only about 14 months ago. Since then, I've found this is one of the best communities and in general, the entire Pokemon VGC community is awesome. Spending these 3-4 days together for a weekend is beyond amazing. :D

-For people saying that "this is easy" or "it all comes down to luck", come on. We have had back to back champions in each division. That is not luck. The people they had to play, the levels of strategy used (approach to the tournament, approach to the battle, approach to each turn...), everything...once you start to understand these things, it's not hard to understand how Wolfe and Cybertron won again.

-Having everyone be so helpful and open to just hanging out is also awesome. Most people get the impression that these conventions are just "nerd fests" or something. While Pokemon can be considered quite nerdy in general, the majority of people at the events are really not that antisocial, awkward, or whatever. Infact, it's more of the opposite- everyone's MORE social and wants to do more things.

-Regionals...what can I say. Getting a two round bye was extremely crucial for players this year. I honestly believe byes should be given based on attendance, and a small top cut should be done at regionals (top 8-16, depending on the attendance as well). HOWEVER that being said, winning a "weak" regional does not really mean anything in regards to overall skill. I can't even count the number of times I heard the casual "oh you won Madison, that was weak, you can't claim respect". No one's asking for personal respect, really, we're just asking that you can respect the fact that we can't travel across the nation every single time to play the "best" because of monetary reasons. Hence why I dragged as many as I could to Madison. #minirant

-While I did get top 8, I realize there is a very good reason why I lost. I simply got outplayed, outteamed, and flat out countered by a better player, and it was apparent in the match results. I lost to Sandman (Joe Pulkowski) and ended up not even standing much of a chance because of how well he played. He put me in a bad position from turn 1, and it drove me nuts. Congrats to him on being so strong, he more or less flew completely under the radar and it paid off.

-You want to be the best? Don't make excuses. Don't make compromises. "Oh, this game is all hax anyways" is not going to take you anywhere. Have fun, be smart, and try to make everything as optimal as possible. When something goes wrong, stand back and do some self-reflection. What could you have done to make it go better? If you're not sure, ask around. Get to know some good players. Understand what the best do. Today was a HUGE learning lesson for me in how to play very well- I'd like to give a shout out (or rather, an AWOOOO) Wolfe for opening my eyes to this about a week before nats- taking the road less traveled is actually usually the right way to go. HOWEVER do not misinterpret that phrase, as there are TONS of roads that are less traveled, meaning there is a slim chance your "less traveled road" is the optimal route. Having smarts and understanding helps you take the correct road, and the only way to do that? Read the first three mini-sentences of this bullet point.

-Just have fun at events. Really. Some people get too worked up, start crying, raging, throwing stuff around the convention center, blowing off their opponents' handshake, or just not talking at all. IT IS A SOCIAL EVENT. INTERACT WITH OTHERS. HAVE FUN. Enjoy your matches, joke around with your opponent, make it less stressful on both of you and just relax and both put on your best. Don't be that guy that flips a table when you lose a match, or the one that cries after you get crit through your Yache Berry (not mentioning anyone specific, but you get the idea). Be the one that laughs at the unfortunate amount of bad luck, and relax next turn knowing you really have nothing to lose. Take this attitude home after nats as well, as it is good to practice being a good opponent and a fun player to be around on the Pokemon Online servers and on the GBU, or wherever you practice.

Blah, that felt like a Zog rant, but it really is just what's been running through my mind today. It's been a really positive experience both gaming-wise and socially, and I can honestly say I enjoyed every moment in this weekend, whether it was the dangerously exciting drive down, the Brawl tournament Friday night, the matches Saturday, actually making top cut, the "drunk stories", the Caprinigs asking me to go do laundry, or the plushie hunting. Thanks to everyone again for being a fantastic community, I'm super excited for regionals again. :]

Oh, and warstory coming soon. I will do everything I can to make it up to Cybertron-level. Feel free to send me any pics (ZachDro@Live.com) so I can add them to the warstory- I'll be sure to give you credit for them! Now for plushie hunting with Macle and the drive home.

Cheers.
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Haha, Zachdro. IT'S OKAY IF IT FELT LIKE A ZOG RANT BECAUSE YOU'RE RIGHT <3

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And nice one Mr Zheng

I'D SAY SEE YOU AT WORLDS but yeah

I got 20th by getting 6th seed on Saturday (after beating Cybertron in a very haxy end) and losing to Snake the next day. I had a lot of fun and I am so glad sp67 made the Top 4. He didnt make Top Cut last year, but Hawaii needs a Togekiss supportmon. Also I would like to note that after reading Zheng's pokemon.ccom interview about SP67 leading with Bisharp and Togekiss that he had not seen them used before, I was completely saddened because of my use of my Togekiss (which OHKOd Amon). If you all are interested in seeing our hilarious 8 turn battle just search my username in youtube and you'll find my only video is that. Cress so strong. I completely regret beating Aaron (but then again I couldnt control how I won...) because I may have been bracketed better, but oh well. I got a cool hat and shirt that doesnt fit me at least :D Now to go screw around with Hsell Smash Contrary Shuckle and Follow Me Friend Guard Eviolite Clefairy...

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Apparently the rule still applies that Wolfey and Cybertron either both win their competition, or neither of them win. What will happen when Cybertron joins the Masters division?

Congrats to you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)