VGC 15 Role Compendium V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken over from Leremyju
Overtaking approved by lucariojr
Originally approved by Laurel
OP adapted from the previous thread, where it was originally adapted from Wolfenstein

VGC 15 Role Compendium V2

Welcome. This thread is meant to provide a visual list of what Pokemon fit for what roles in the VGC 15 metagame. This will help players on all levels in finding Pokemon that can suit certain roles for their team, and also maybe help them discover a Pokemon they didn't know could fit that role. Pokemon listed here are only the Pokemon I find viable enough in VGC to deserve a spot on a team, even though some are very niche, they can be justified as a good pick in certain teams (the only exception for this are the Mega Pokemon, I just listed them all). I have probably forgotten a ton of things in this list, so suggestions are welcome. I do however reserve the right to deny including suggestions because I find the Pokemon to be too bad in VGC to deserve a mention. This means that although Raticate gets Quick Attack, I won't list it in the priority section because Raticate is not at all good in VGC.

Mega Pokemon

Offensive Pokemon
Physical:

Special:

Mixed:

Scarfers:

Defiant/Competitive:

Priority:

STAB Spread Moves:

Trick Room:

Dragon Dance:

VoltTurn:

Support Roles
Helping Hand:

Redirection:

Speed Control:

Intimidate:

Will-O-Wisp:

Wide/Quick Guard:

Fake Out:

Feint:

Heal Pulse:

Perish Song:

Sleep:

Taunt:

Swagger:

Trick Room Setters:

Disable:

Shadow Tag:

Encore:

Weather
Setters:

Sweepers:

Fairy Checks

Mega Kangaskhan Checks

Mega Salamence Checks

Last edited:
So, before anyone asks about why things from the old thread are not here, I will tell you why about some of the things. Just a note, I am not saying that the owner of the previous thread did not know what he was doing, was stupid, or anything like that. However, stuff like Mega Audino and Mega Glalie is not something I feel like deserves a spot in this list. Also, in addition to what I said about the possibility of denying suggestions, VGC viable Pokemon that have the possibility of fitting into a role, but is not good at it, can be rejected. I won't list something like Weavile in Scarfers just because it is able to hold a Chocie Scarf, it has to be a good Choice Scarf user as well. I removed Bisharp/Knock Off checks because I feel like Bisharp is not a thing you have to really think about especially more than other really big threats, and it is not as good as it was earlier on anyways. Could possibly make a category called Knock Off switch-ins later on though, but I wanted to get the thread up and get some feedback on the way it is now first. Feel also free to suggest new categories.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
A few changes I would make

Additions
Infernape into Feint and Fake Out
Thundurus I and T into special offense.
Liepard into Encore and Swagger
Volcarona into speed control
Milotic into scarfers
Possibly adding general setup and Storm Drain/Lightning Rod sections

Removals
Mega Scizor from Feint
Megas Sceptile, Swampert, and Aerodactyl from guards
Greninja from STAB spread moves and priority
Politoed from sleep

Either add Primeape to scarfers or remove from Defiant

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
I'd add mega Gardevoir to TR setters, Rotom formes to VoltTurn, mega Salamence to Physical attackers, Talonflame to will-o-wisp and taunt, and Hydreigon to speed control. Also I would remove Azumarill from Perish Song, just because it gets doesn't mean it should use it IMO. Seems like a really niche perish mon when there are better options

Last edited:
I'd add Mega Gard to Speed Control (Icy Wind + T-Wave), Encore, Disable, and possibly sleep (only if Hypnosis is considered "reliable" enough to earn a spot).

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Excadrill should go under Physical attackers as well, Raichu (Nuzzle+Electroweb) and Charizard (Tailwind) could go under speed control and Liepard should go under Encore.

A few changes I would make

Additions
Infernape into Feint and Fake Out
Thundurus I and T into special offense.
Liepard into Encore and Swagger
Volcarona into speed control
Milotic into scarfers
Possibly adding general setup and Storm Drain/Lightning Rod sections

Removals
Mega Scizor from Feint
Megas Sceptile, Swampert, and Aerodactyl from guards
Greninja from STAB spread moves and priority
Politoed from sleep

Either add Primeape to scarfers or remove from Defiant
Added most of it, except a few things. Thundurus forms were already there if I'm not blind. Might add setup and Lightningrod/Storm Drain tomorrow. Why remove Sceptile's Quick Guard? It is even recommended over HP Ice in the Strategy Dex analysis, and lets Sceptile block all Fake Outs and bait n block Talon's Brave Bird. I can agree on Greninja's Shadow Sneak not being too good, but I think STAB Rock Slide deserves a mention (gets STAB because of Protean).

I'd add mega Gardevoir to TR setters, Rotom formes to VoltTurn, mega Salamence to Physical attackers, Talonflame to will-o-wisp and taunt, and Hydreigon to speed control. Also I would remove Azumarill from Perish Song, just because it gets doesn't mean it should use it IMO. Seems like a really niche perish mon when there are better options
Added all that. How did i actually manage to forget MegaMence to physical attackers, lol.

I'd add Mega Gard to Speed Control (Icy Wind + T-Wave), Encore, Disable, and possibly sleep (only if Hypnosis is considered "reliable" enough to earn a spot).
Added both Gardevoir types to speed control, but I just added regular Gardevoir to Disable and Encore as such a supportive Gardevoir should imo not be mega. Also I don't think I'll count Hypnosis as sleep.

Excadrill should go under Physical attackers as well, Raichu (Nuzzle+Electroweb) and Charizard (Tailwind) could go under speed control and Liepard should go under Encore.
Added.

Thanks for all the additions and corrections, I can't remember everything myself so thanks a lot for filling out the holes I forget about :)

Demantoid

APMS Founder
Oops forgot about Rock Slide on Greninja. For Quick Guard (you need to edit the name of that section btw) on M Sceptile I guess it's fine I just don't like having moves like that on a Pokémon weak to Talonflame because you almost have to use it every turn and rely on partners to kill it. Really you should try to have Talonflame off the field before you bring in M Sceptile.

Oops forgot about Rock Slide on Greninja. For Quick Guard (you need to edit the name of that section btw) on M Sceptile I guess it's fine I just don't like having moves like that on a Pokémon weak to Talonflame because you almost have to use it every turn and rely on partners to kill it. Really you should try to have Talonflame off the field before you bring in M Sceptile.
How did I manage to name it 'Wide/Guard Guard'? I actually have to go see a doctor......
Fixed it now.

+ Alakazam (non-mega mostly) can do Encore + Disable, and is among the very fastest users of both. It has Thunder Wave as well but that's mostly a 1v1 thing tbh.

+ Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable to Mega Salamence checks - Kiss and Clefable can take a hit and hit back hard with Dazzling Gleam (or Moonblast/Ice Beam in Clefable's case), Sylveon and Kiss crush the Mega Mence + Redirect combo.

+ Azumarill to Perish Song, Sap Sipper Perish Song Azumarill is not exactly a rare choice for those types of teams.

+ Latias to Speed Control, she has Tailwind and Icy Wind with bulk to use it. Thank you for listing it under Heal Pulse.

+ Slowbro / Slowking to Heal Pulse - they are god-tier healers under Trick Room, which they aren't bad at setting up either.

+ Thundy-I to Weather Setter. Rain Dance + Thunder Thundy is a pretty big "fuck you" to VenuZard and Sand, and even without Thunder it throws a wrench in the gears.

How did I manage to name it 'Wide/Guard Guard'? I actually have to go see a doctor......
Fixed it now.
Because you C+P'd from the old thread which had that same derp. :P

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Regular audino is pretty bad but I think it's at least worth a mention in heal pulse and TR setters and clefairy + clefable to speed control. Has access to Icy Wind and t wave

+ Alakazam (non-mega mostly) can do Encore + Disable, and is among the very fastest users of both. It has Thunder Wave as well but that's mostly a 1v1 thing tbh.

+ Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable to Mega Salamence checks - Kiss and Clefable can take a hit and hit back hard with Dazzling Gleam (or Moonblast/Ice Beam in Clefable's case), Sylveon and Kiss crush the Mega Mence + Redirect combo.

+ Azumarill to Perish Song, Sap Sipper Perish Song Azumarill is not exactly a rare choice for those types of teams.

+ Latias to Speed Control, she has Tailwind and Icy Wind with bulk to use it. Thank you for listing it under Heal Pulse.

+ Slowbro / Slowking to Heal Pulse - they are god-tier healers under Trick Room, which they aren't bad at setting up either.

+ Thundy-I to Weather Setter. Rain Dance + Thunder Thundy is a pretty big "fuck you" to VenuZard and Sand, and even without Thunder it throws a wrench in the gears.

Because you C+P'd from the old thread which had that same derp. :P
Added everything except Azu to Perish Song, kind of the fence about that one.

Regular audino is pretty bad but I think it's at least worth a mention in heal pulse and TR setters and clefairy + clefable to speed control. Has access to Icy Wind and t wave
Added plus added Audino to Helping Hand as well. Mega Audino was all over support things in the old thread, but it's not worth the mega slot. Do however agree on regular Audino getting a mention (tbh should add Simple Beam, Heal Pulse, n Psych Up Audino together with Minimize Muk, no one is prepared for it (including me) ;_; )

Added everything except Azu to Perish Song, kind of the fence about that one.
Try killing one when you don't have an Electric type or 252+ Sp. Atk Sludge Bomb Mega Venusaur trapped in front of it. It's more bulk than Toed (100 / 80 / 80 vs 90 / 75 /100) and a lot more resists. Being completely passive is really quite irrelevent when you have Perish Song. I don't actually mind either way whether it's added or not, but it is something I've seen on PerishTrap teams - and lost to, every single time I saw it.
The Audino + Muk thing sounds fun, but needs more Stockpile and PuP. Guess I have reason to breed an Audino now.

Oh and Klefki popped into mind. T-Wave (Speed control) and Swagger. Haven''t seen one in quite a while (not that I'm complaining) but Prankster ParaSwag only has so many viable users.

Try killing one when you don't have an Electric type or 252+ Sp. Atk Sludge Bomb Mega Venusaur trapped in front of it. It's more bulk than Toed (100 / 80 / 80 vs 90 / 75 /100) and a lot more resists. Being completely passive is really quite irrelevent when you have Perish Song. I don't actually mind either way whether it's added or not, but it is something I've seen on PerishTrap teams - and lost to, every single time I saw it.
The Audino + Muk thing sounds fun, but needs more Stockpile and PuP. Guess I have reason to breed an Audino now.

Oh and Klefki popped into mind. T-Wave (Speed control) and Swagger. Haven''t seen one in quite a while (not that I'm complaining) but Prankster ParaSwag only has so many viable users.
Added Azu, if it works good enough with PerishTrap to be effective with it, I think it should be added. Added Klefki under appropriate sections. Also, I think the Muk actually had PuP as well. But Stockpile sounds intersting... (I actually think a thread for f*cked up shit you have lost to on the BS ladder could be a funny thing, but don't think it will be approved :P)

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I went through most of the list, so here's what I've noticed: Lopunny, Mienshao, Gallade (Mega) and Aerodactyl (non-Mega) should probably go under physical attackers, Politoed, Venusaur (non-Mega), Goodra, Sceptile (Mega) and Milotic should be listed under special attackers, Mamoswine and Weavile could go under priority (Ice Shard), Togekiss can go under STAB Spread moves (Dazzling Gleam), Hitmontop gets Helping Hand so you might want to list it there, Blaziken can use Feint fairly effectively, Politoed can go under Encore, Arcanine is a pretty good Fairy Check, Landorus-T is an okay Kangaskhan check (it still sort of works) and Politoed is a pretty good Mence check with Choice Scarf. A lot of these are fairly niche so if you don't feel like listing some of them then that's fine with me.

I went through most of the list, so here's what I've noticed: Lopunny, Mienshao, Gallade (Mega) and Aerodactyl (non-Mega) should probably go under physical attackers, Politoed, Venusaur (non-Mega), Goodra, Sceptile (Mega) and Milotic should be listed under special attackers, Mamoswine and Weavile could go under priority (Ice Shard), Togekiss can go under STAB Spread moves (Dazzling Gleam), Hitmontop gets Helping Hand so you might want to list it there, Blaziken can use Feint fairly effectively, Politoed can go under Encore, Arcanine is a pretty good Fairy Check, Landorus-T is an okay Kangaskhan check (it still sort of works) and Politoed is a pretty good Mence check with Choice Scarf. A lot of these are fairly niche so if you don't feel like listing some of them then that's fine with me.
Added most things, except: Don't feel like Mega Gallade needs to be here, kind of unsure about Mega Lopunny. Goodra isn't too good either, so not adding that. Thanks for looking it over.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
Crobat (I would add Golbat too but it's not very popular) can be added under Speed Control, Guards, and Taunt. I think Mega Lopunny can go under Physical Attackers, Fake Out, and Encore. Also Gardevoir should be added to Mega Salamence and Helping Hand. Is support Gallade good enough to be on the list? I would say it is about as good or bad as support Gardevoir. If so it has Encore, Disable, Guards, Trick Room, Taunt, Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, Will o Wisp, Speed Control, and Feint (It probably shouldn't be in all of those though).

Crobat (I would add Golbat too but it's not very popular) can be added under Speed Control, Guards, and Taunt. I think Mega Lopunny can go under Physical Attackers, Fake Out, and Encore. Also Gardevoir should be added to Mega Salamence and Helping Hand. Is support Gallade good enough to be on the list? I would say it is about as good or bad as support Gardevoir. If so it has Encore, Disable, Guards, Trick Room, Taunt, Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, Will o Wisp, Speed Control, and Feint (It probably shouldn't be in all of those though).
Added Crobat, Gardevoir to things, and Lopunny, guess Lopunny is at least somewhat viable (although imo it got unnecessary hyped beacuse of Cybertron). Gallade, meh, Gardevoir is slightly better for support, and Garde isn't that great with support to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)