VGC 2011 sand team

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, i think this is a fairly standard sand vgc11 team, but i would like some feedback

The team:
Leads:
Hydreigon

With something this awesome with levitate, it fills a unique roll, being able to support excadrill and deal with several of the most common leads.

Terakion

boasting sandstorm, fast guard, and reasonable speed attack and bulk, it fits very well, especially given the sdef boost it receives from my sand.

In reserve:
Excadrill

This is really the whole point of this team, with great attack, and unmatched speed in the sand.

Landorus

With decent stats all around, the ability to avoid damage from earthquake due to its flying type, and sand force boosting its attacks, it helps deal with nearly anything excadrill cant OHKO

The specifics:

Hydreigon

Evs:
252 Satk
252 Spe
4HP

Nature: Modest

Item: focus sash

Attacks:
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Focus Blast

With fairly obvious evs, the focus sash may be the first thing to catch your eye, it may seem pointless with sand, but it allows for hydreigon to beat other hydreigon leads, by surviving the one attack and hitting back.

Attacks are fairly self explanatory as well, the two Dpulses for stab, flamethrower to deal with grass pokes who resist most of the rest of the team, and focus blast for coverage.

Terakion

Evs:
64hp
128 Atk
64 def
252 spe

nature: Jolly

Item: lum berry

moves:
Fast guard
Rock slide
Protect
Sandstorm

This set maximizes speed to try to allow terakion to set up sand every time, but it also adds some bulk to allow it to help stall out trick room, and live to support the team with fast guard. Lum berry is added to protect from the ubiquitous spore, and allow terakion to set up my sand anyway. You may wonder why not smooth rock to lengthen my sand, but it is both used on a different poke, and spore leads are too common to leave out.

Excadrill

Evs:
252 Atk
252 Spe
4Def

Nature: adamant

Item: Life orb

Moves:
Earthquake
Rock slide
X-scissor
Brick Break

This set is in all ways fairly self explanatory. Eq and Rock slide are great as they both combine for good coverage, and hit both opponents, often scoring double KOs, xscissor again helps to deal with grass types, and brick break adds some coverage.

Landorus

Evs:
252 Spe
128 Atk
128 Satk

Nature: Naive

Item: Smooth rock

Moves:
Sandstorm
Rock Slide
Earth power
Grass knot

This serves as both a mixed wall breaker to support excadrill, and a sweeper in its own right, as the extra power from sand force allows this to hit extremely hard.

Smooth rock and sandstorm are used against any team that can live long enough for my original sand to dissipate, Earth power is favored over earth quake to prevent harming my own excadrill, rock slide gets the great power boost and can also often deal with ice pokemon looking to score the OHKO with a 4x stab move, and grass knot deals with water pokemon threatening me, given 3/4 pokemon are weak to water

I was considering changing out rock slide, but it is hard to replace a move that is boosted in power and hits both opponents, and it doesnt get great other coverage, the one option i was thinking about was slimewave, again to deal with grass pokemon, which would also allow me to run max satk evs...

Comments please?

ur kinda fighting weak, do u have problems with roob? and other than that i dont think games will really last long enough for you to need another ss user, well unless terakion dies before it gets ss up but that shouldnt happen because of its speed and typing

Imanalt

the second ss user can be useless, but IMO it can be nice in the case they do stall me out, so far when testing on Po ive needed it in about 1/3- 1/5 of my battles..., but im not too fighting weak, cause excadrill ohkoes most, and fast guard keeps the mach pnuches off me.

You have too many attack-only pokemon that aren't choiced. Putting 4 attacks on a pokemon has it's problems and you aren't really running too much assist for those pokemon. I think that when you run into a choice sweep, your team will go down hard.

Imanalt

ummmm, who runs choice pokes in VGC???

i dont think ive ever seen them, because youre much too likely to get stuck with no ability to switch

Umm, scarf Haxorus is more common than dragon dance Haxorus. Anyways, you have greatly underestimate the value of the move protect. It is the ultimate scout. You can easily predict your opponents after protecting and gain the upper hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)