VGC 2016 Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could i just point out that walrein is gaining some popularity
  • Samuel Harssama and Chalkey Horenstien used Walrein to both get 5th at their respective Regionals
  • Sam H. has revealed that he used an assault vest walrein over crobat, as it gets access to super fang, icy wind and has the thick fat ability as well as higher bulk (110/90/90) and slightly higher offense at the cost of speed
  • His Mewtwo/Kyurem-W/M-Metagross/Terrakion/Breloom/Walrein team went 4-0 at both PCs that he attended
Some other interesting pokemon that haven't yet been ranked:
Follow me Lucario - 3rd Place Florida (Kamaal Harris); 9th Place Virginia (Trista Medine)
Porygon Z?

What do you guys think? Apologies if this isn't that appropriate to the thread

Walrein is outclassed. It has a terrible typing, and horrendous speed. Crobat is better, but since it came fifth at two events, maybe it can be placed in D, or D-

Yeah i definitely agree about its typing etc, i just thought it might be worth mentioning some creative picks from players worldwide :)

nicholascookie

Banned deucer.
Pikachu came 4th at florida regionals maybe it should be put up there in D or D- too ha ha ha ! X)

Of course not you fucking idiots

I think Walrein is marginally better than the majority of the unlisted 'E' mons out there, that being said that isn't saying much as E is for mons that you shouldn't use ever. As such, keep Walrein out of the rankings xD

Concerning Xerneas being S-Ranked: Xerneas still strikes me as a pokemon that you have to prepare for, or you pretty much lose, which is mostly why I think it fits in S-rank. While it may have plenty of counters that are becoming more and more common, Mega Kangaskhan was in a similar position last year, and look how it ended the season. IMO: Rainbow Deer still belongs in S-rank due to having a tangible effect on the meta as a whole.

About Walrein: more like lolrein. It's not absolute garbage, but i think it's still a bit to gimmicky to consider. Although the fact that it gets Super Fang is news to me, the speed makes me wonder how effective that is. If it consistently does well in tournaments, then we can revisit discussion on adding it.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Yveltal
A- ---> A

This thing is the driving force of Dark Spam and pretty much the only reason Dark Spam is a viable and used. It supports this team archetype by itself. It also isn't bad on teams not based around Dark Spam since it can pull its wait with little support. The only reason I say it isn't A+ is just because of the huge presence of Xerneas

Completely agreeing with this. Upon using Yveltal in a recent team, it quickly became apparent to me that this is an excellent Pokémon. Good matchup vs. the Primals, Ray and Dialga (which is only improved with the presence of Thundurus, by the way) thanks to its exceptional bulk, good speed, Foul Play/Snarl, a multitude of theoretically-viable sets, and overall effectiveness in so many matchups make it worthy of the A-ranking in my eyes.
yveltal is quite an excellent pokemon. if you shut down xerneas, you have a very good pokemon capable of support, offense, mixed, physical, special, and a variety of other roles.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Time to do another one of these passes I guess

Yveltal to A: Yveltal meta. Nuff said

Amoonguss from B+ to A- (potentially A): Splashable mon and takes advantage of a couple of factors in this metagame. Rise of dual primals and Trick Room teams paved way for Amoonguss to be a strong check to the archetype (unless Safeguard is involved). Safety Goggles is still nonexistent and reliable Sleep is still insanely strong. Great partner to Xerneas as well, and a viable addition to Big 6 to cover up TR and Kyogre better.

Dialga from B+ to A-: One of the most, if not the most solid answer to RayOgre, Dialga's amazing typing puts a lot of pressure on Pokemon not named Groudon. It's a Trick Roomer with some offensive presence and Telepathy enables an explosive combination with Landorus-T. Can be used with either primal (keep in mind the Groudon weakness here), and has a very diverse movepool.

Weavile from B to B+: Well I mentioned this before and I think my point still stands. Rise in Yveltal teams only makes Weavile even stronger in the current metagame.

Kyurem-W from B- to B+: Let's just remember once again how scary a strong Ice STAB is in the current meta (and even more with Yveltal teams on the rise). There's a reason Kyurem-W has consistently topcutted events - it can quickly destroy a wide range of Pokemon with its Ice STAB (Genies, rayquaza, mence, amoonguss, yveltal, crobat, togekiss, whimsicott), while there are only a few Ice resists (Kyogre, Mawile, Bronzong, Weavile, Aegislash, Scizor, Lapras), most of which either don't do much back to Kyurem-W (Kyogre), fear its other moves, or are uncommon for good reasons. Scarf Blizzard + Gravity can be terrifying at times, and its Life Orb set should not be underestimated. It still has a large number of weaknesses, though.

im actually going to suggest special light ball pikachu as a C or D rank having lightning rod helps protect primal kyorge from one of his weakness and considering the amount of thunder wave spam in this meta at plus 0 he can OHKO PDON with hidden power water and thunder does a lot of damage to primal kyorge now pikachu does need support but after absorbing a few electric attacks this little guy is a glass cannon and a scary one at that if you don't out speed keep in mind pikachu needs the rain to wok

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
im actually going to suggest special light ball pikachu as a C or D rank having lightning rod helps protect primal kyorge from one of his weakness and considering the amount of thunder wave spam in this meta at plus 0 he can OHKO PDON with hidden power water and thunder does a lot of damage to primal kyorge now pikachu does need support but after absorbing a few electric attacks this little guy is a glass cannon and a scary one at that if you don't out speed keep in mind pikachu needs the rain to wok
Pikachu is Pikachu, It dies to anything and has terrible speed. Sure it has all of those perks but in the end it is just like golduck, it does one thing and it does it terribly.

so sure being able to OHKO PDOn in the rain is is useless now is it as well as stopping thunder wave and electric attacks from hitting allied pokemon like a thunder on a primal kyorge and in return

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Water vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Primal Groudon in Heavy Rain: 308-364 (148.7 - 175.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 212-252 (107.6 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yveltal: 320-378 (137.9 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 160-190 (71.4 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 190-225 (123.3 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

as you can see pikachu is far from useless once he absorbs a bit of juice even at plus 0 pikachu has a 93% chance to OHKO Pdon your right hes not for everyone

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
so sure being able to OHKO PDOn in the rain is is useless now is it as well as stopping thunder wave and electric attacks from hitting allied pokemon like a thunder on a primal kyorge and in return

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Water vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Primal Groudon in Heavy Rain: 308-364 (148.7 - 175.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 212-252 (107.6 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yveltal: 320-378 (137.9 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 160-190 (71.4 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 190-225 (123.3 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

as you can see pikachu is far from useless once he absorbs a bit of juice even at plus 0 pikachu has a 93% chance to OHKO Pdon your right hes not for everyone
HP Water really isn't that good because in order to use it you need to have Kyogre out and Groudon likely won't stay in anyway. Due to Thunder and HP Water you rely on rain alot which makes you very weak to opposing Groudons and Rayquazas. Your calcs are also on relevant at +1 which you often will not have. Overall just using Thundurus or Raichu is better because they have better speed tiers and good supportive options.

may i just remind you that i said pikachu is a niche pokemon thats why hes down low a C-D
If we're just going to rank something because it's a niche, and a terrible niche at that, then we might as well throw in another 100 or so niche mons that only have one purpose and don't do it well enough to be considered a good option in any team that isn't built around it.

Idk if this thread is being updated or if there's any real point in updating it, but I feel that some changes need to happen if it is to be updated.

Everything from Meinshao and below, with the exclusion of Weavile, Kyurem-W, Meowstic, Clefairy, maybe Mewtwo and possibly Whimsicott needs to be removed. They all either suck at what they do, or aren't relevant enough to warrant a ranking. I have no idea why they're here, at all.

Also idk why Talon is so fucking high either. Do you really think it's as good as Mence or Ray? lol

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also idk why Talon is so fucking high either. Do you really think it's as good as Mence or Ray? lol
It's less that it's used for it's offensive capabilities and more that it's used for the utility and support it provides. Essentially, it's Crobat but with actual attacks: It can carry Taunt, Tailwind and Quick Guard but also has priority and an option for removing Ferrothorn in Flare Blitz. It's a member of Big Six because of these qualities and I don't see it dropping any time soon. It does different things to Mence and Ray so I wouldn't call it outclassed.

Is there a reason why Aerodactyl isn't ranked at all?
It is pretty much a crobat with actual offensive pressence, resistance to Talonflame's and Groudon's STAB and it pairs well with Mega Rayquaza's Delta Stream Ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)