Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

The main focus of this team! I find that he is really good at countering tapu's and distracting people from Kommo-o. The Shadow Tag ability really helps this team lock pokemon in and give's Kommo-o free reign sometimes to take out two pokemon. I'm not sure if Taunt is a great move on this pokemon and need some help deciding on if I should keep it. Taunt is great for opposing Whimsicotts and other prankster pokemon, but other than that it usually is a dead move.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

This is probably the most questionable pokemon I have, it was used as a counter for tapu's and Trick Room, but I have found other ways to keep Kommo-o and Gengar healthy under Trick Room when paired with Whimsicott. I don't know if this is an issue with the pokemon choice or moveset. I have considered swapping this for a Landerus Scarf or Band. This is probably where I need the most help.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Now on to my new favorite pokemon. Kommo-o I thought was one of the worst pokemon in the game, until I found myself losing to this pokemon over and over again. The boosts that this pokemon gets paired with it's Z move is FANTASTIC. One hitting Salamence Charizard's and other hard hitting dragon type pokemon is what this pokemon was made for. This pokemon with Whimsicott makes me question why I was sleeping on this duo for so long. They literally can carry a battle with Tailwind and Encore.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 192 HP / 100 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Fake Tears

I'm pretty sure Focus Sash is the best item in this game with this pokemon. Tailwind is a staple right now vs other Tailwind teams. Encore is great until they switch Incineroar into the slot and makes it immune. I use fake tears mainly to try and one hit Landerus with either Gengar or Kommo-o. I use Moonblast in the rare case that Kommo-o has an opposing pokemon with a dragon immunity.

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 108 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

Wow, this pokemon is just great. Accept on my team. I find myself leaving Fini behind most of the time due to opposing Kartana's and other grass type attackers where Incineroar is immensely better. I wonder if Lele would be the better Tapu in this slot for a variety of reasons, but when Fini does get a calm mind or two going it is unstoppable in the situations where it is needed.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Probably the most underrated pokemon on this team, Incineroar has this special place on this team as an Intimidate user and having Fake out for free damage. I usually don't start with Incineroar but I bring him after Tailwind is set up to take out other Incineroars and help deal with Tapu Bulu which is my glaring weakness with Gengar.

I appretiate any feedback you guys can provide me. I have had mild success with this team and really can see it being my main VGC team for the future. Thanks guys

-Tyler Rogers

I'll rate it for you:

Mega Gengar: I'd say that's a pretty good Mega Gengar. I personally wouldn't run taunt but M-Gengar is a fast Pokemon so I guess it could work.

Alolan Marowak: Also a really good set. I usually run Lightning Rod but running Rock Head is just as good though. Also, running Swords Dance in VGC isn't always great because you become a massive target and that doesn't help with Marowak's low speed. Running Protect would be a better option.

Kommo-o: Good other that one point: You have no Fighting-STAB. Running either Close Combat or Focus Blast would work, preferably Focus Blast since I'm not really a fan of mixed Kommo-o. Also, Poison Jab is for countering Faries I assume. You're better off with Flash Cannnon which uses your Sp Attack, so again it helps prevent you from running mixed.

Whimsicott: Also pretty good. If you're running Tapu Fini, then using Nature Power would be a better option since it turns into Moonblast on Misty Terrain and it has priority. With this in mind, you won't have to run as much speed investment.

Tapu Fini: Moveset is great. It's just how I'd run a Tapu Fini. The EVs are a bit all over the place but are otherwise pretty good. Be weary that its Misty Terrain doesn't pair well with Kommo-o since its own Dragon Moves will be reduced. Also, Fini would be better that Lele since Psychic Terrain neuters Whimsicott.

Incineroar: Pretty good too. Generally I would run max Attack and I ususally like Darkest Lariat instead of Knock Off but there's nothing wrong with using Knock Off.

So overall, yeah, a pretty decent team. Just take on some of my points and it will hopefully get you winning some matches.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi TylerRogers. I feel that the issue with this team is that, while the sets are all "alright" on their own, Pokemon (and especially VGC) isn't about having sets that look fine in a vacuum—it's about having a team that fits together. As a result, I don't think The Ice Cream's rate really did justice to the team.

As it stands, I don't really see any sort of cohesive vision presented by this team—you haven't really included any indication of why successive Pokemon were selected to be placed on this team, and I personally can't tell in a lot of cases. What I did notice is that you have the trappings of a standard Kommo-o / Gengar team: a team centered around Kommo-o, with Mega Gengar support to check Fairy-types and to trap in easy targets for a Clangorous Soulblaze and Incineroar to provide general-purpose Intimidate and Fake Out for easing this setup. Past these three, however, I don't really see much that works together with this core.

Here's a quick general suggestion:
+ 2 of [
...]

Essentially, I've taken this core and added Tapu Bulu, which has a few purposes: Grassy Terrain replaces the highly annoying Misty Terrain, and also affords better protection against opposing Landorus-T's Earthquake. Additionally, it's also a threat in its own right, since Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain-boosted Wood Hammer can just land very strong neutral (and even resisted) hits on a wide range of targets, softening them up for Kommo-o to clean with its Z-move (or after it's boosted up). Oh, also it destroys Tapu Fini, so that's always a plus.

The additional Pokemon fall into two general categories: Xurkitree and Azumarill are setup sweepers, which allow the team to carry on with its general modus operandi of supporting strong setup sweepers and getting them to run through an opposing team. Whimsicott and Clefairy are examples of strong support Pokemon, providing generally useful utility like Tailwind, Encore and Taunt (Whimsicott) or Follow Me and Friend Guard (Clefairy).

I think re-constructing your team from the perspective would help you to refocus the general aim and structure of your team, to make it a little more directed towards achieving a specific goal in a battle instead of just vaguely "trying to win". For a Pokemon such as Kommo-o, having a more structured idea of what your team should be doing in a given match can go a long way towards success. Hopefully my quick suggestion helped you a little :)

[QUOTE="Level 51, post: 7850914, member: 118474" As a result, I don't think The Ice Cream's rate really did justice to the team.[/QUOTE]

I was mainly looking at the sets of the individual Pokemon rather than the team itself and how it works with one another. My plan was to talk about the contribution to each member. I mean, you probably did a better job than me but I was just looking at what areas could be improved rather than actually improving them myself since I wasn't sure at the time. Thanks anyway though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)