Project VGC 2019 Ultra Series - POTW Analysis: Mimikyu

What spooky Pokémon should I write about for next week's article?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VGC 2019 Ultra Series POTW: Week 7

mudkip!!!.png

Hello once again everyone! Welcome back to Week 7 of my Pokémon of the Week (POTW) article series, where I delve into possible sets of niche Pokémon in VGC 2019 Ultra Series (and hopefully upload on time)! I'm quite excited by this week's Pokémon, which is...

1571768449024.png

Mimikyu! I think it's quite fitting that we have a Generation 7 Pokémon for Week 7 of this series, isn't it? It's also become very iconic since its reveal in the CoroCoro magazines before Sun and Moon were released. To be honest, I actually fell out of my chair when I saw this Pokémon for the first time because it spooked me, I legitimately thought it was a jumpscare. After taking another look at it, I realized this was a costume and the eyes of the actual Pokémon were located in the lower portion of the cloth. To be honest, I watch the Pokémon Sun and Moon anime because every episode seems to end on a light note, so the series, despite the childish art style, is a very welcome breath of happiness in my humble opinion. In the anime, Jessie of Team Rocket owns one that she caught with a Luxury Ball. She even has a Mimikyum Z that they use together for Mimikyu's Let's Snuggle Forever attack. Not to mention that it's probably the most potent adversary to Pikachu I've ever seen Team Rocket use. Maybe they heard about Mimikyu's usefulness in VGC? Let's see if Team Rocket really had the right idea when making Mimikyu a part of their team!
Overview

Type: Ghost/Fairy

Base Stats
HP: 55

Attack: 90
Defense: 80
Sp. Attack: 50
Sp. Defense: 105
Speed: 96

The first time I saw its base stats I was curious as to why all of its base stats were divisible by 5 except Speed. As VGC 2017 progressed, I (and likely many others) came to the assumption that it was designed that way to outspeed Tapu Lele and hit it super-effectively with a Ghost-type attack. However, this is not all that useful given that most Tapu Lele in VGC 2019 Ultra Series use a Choice Scarf. The defenses and Attack also seem quite low for a restricted metagame. It also falls into the same pitfall as Clefairy in that it has a Fairy typing that forces to do something different than Xerneas so it doesn't get bodied by the same omnipresent checks. So what might that differentiation be? Despite it being pretty low, that base 90 Attack stat will come into play.

Abilities:

Disguise: All damage from the first direct attack it takes is completely negated, including Z-Moves! If Mimikyu didn't have this, I don't think it would be used at all. It's still weak to Steels and although it doesn't have a Poison weakness thanks to its Ghost typing, it still doesn't do much in return. Shadow Claw hits them for neutral damage, but it has low base power, which is not good in addition to its low base Attack. It also must deal with new Ghost type attackers that outspeed it like Lunala and Gengar (though they must fear Shadow Claw upon switch-in). Disguise offers more options to make sure Mimi stays on the field and is a core part of how it plays in the face of normal Fairy checks. However, Sunsteel Strike, Photon Geyser, and Moongeist Beam ignore it and score super-effective damage, so be careful against Dusk Mane Necrozma, Lunala, and Solgaleo since they are already decent answers to Mimi without this.

Notable Moves

- Physical:

Play Rough - Play Rough, specifically Let's Snuggle Forever (imma call this LSF for now), is the 2nd hardest hitting physical Fairy-type attack in the format after Mega Mawile's Play Rough. This is a big help to make itself different from Xerneas since it doesn't need setup to deal its heavy damage.
Shadow Claw - I said this attack doesn't do much, but when it's super effective, it does pretty okay damage, such as onto Lunala, Bronzong, Tapu Lele, Metagross, and Gengar. Chip onto everything else is... okay. It's not stellar but every little bit helps, especially since Ghost isn't resisted by much.
Shadow Sneak - mmkay so STAB priority is nice for picking off weakened stuff. Not the strongest attack, but yet another difference between it and Xerneas is access to priority attacks, so it can prove quite pivotal to Mimi's success.
Wood Hammer -
Do you hate Fini? Yeah we hate Fini!
Do you wanna smack it? Yeah we wanna smack it!
Wanna use a Grass move? Yeah we'll use a Grass move!
(Doo doodoodoo I can't make this ending rhyme at all...)
It takes recoil from Wood Hammer, but like I already said, only direct damage will pop Disguise, so Mimi still stays defended by its ability after recoil. Even still, as you'll see in a bit, Mimi has much better options that have been proven useful at top-level competitions.

- Special:
I hope you think of this disturbing image if you ever want to use Special Mimi in VGC 19 (this is a fancy way of saying "no, don't use Special Mimi").
1571768472808.png

- Status/Support:
Trick Room - Mimi works under TR pretty well since there's just so much that outspeeds it normally. Having a form of Speed control that affects the whole battlefield is yet another way to differentiate itself from Xerneas.
Taunt - Since Mimi lacks a good way to hit Amoonguss, Taunt is useful to ensure that at least it can buy some time to smack it with Shadow Claw. It's also helpful for hitting other slow support Pokémon like Tapu Fini and opposing Trick Room setters (although many common users of it, like Bronzong, Stakataka, and Lunala, can hit it back for super-effective damage if you're not careful).
Light Screen - Yet another user of it! It's faster than other common Light Screen like Tapu Fini, which can help soften blows a bunch before opposing offensive Fini tries to attack. Other than that, still an all-around great move.

Will-O-Wisp - it just doesn't hit a ton. Physical Pokémon that can be affected by it like Mega Rayquaza and Yveltal fear LSF much more than they do Wisp, so they'll likely switch out when you try to use it. It can hit Stakataka and Bronzong, but generally you want to swap out against Stak to avoid damage and Shadow Claw or switch against Bronzong. Dusk Mane Necrozma may get outsped and Burned, but Sunsteel Strike ignores Disguise so Wisp Mimi still doesn't a massive edge when facing it down. It works even less against Solgaleo since it outspeeds Mimikyu by 1 base Speed and ignores Disguise as well, and so can't get burned if it doesn't switch into a Wisp.
Protect - It's doubles and it's always going to have use. In addition, you don't want to lose Disguise too soon because that's Mimi's most universal form of defense. Obligatory move.
Destiny Bond - it's hard to pull off since there's much more that outspeeds it in this meta. Z-Destiny Bond does have its uses while also allowing for a Never Ending Nightmare off Shadow Claw should Z-Destiny Bond not be as necessary, but I don't think there's a viable set for it since this has +0 priority and does stop the multitude of spread attacks (you're more than welcome to prove me wrong in the comments below with a set of your own, though).
Curse - After seeing this on Gigalith and Snorlax so much in Gen 7 VGC, I almost forgot how this move worked for Ghost-types. Christopher Kan used this on his Worlds team this year, noting in his report on Trainer Tower that Curse heavily messed with Pokémon that relied on staying on the field throughout a match.

Sample Sets

1571773575142.png

You think it's attacking with Shadow Claw? Nah nah nah Mimi is waving, Mimi is saying hello! Mimi doesn't get enough love, just read its Pokédex entries :(
You should wave back! Show that you love the scary "Pikachu clone" by saying hello. Or at the very least, give these sample sets a read!
I hope you love them as much as Mimikyu loves you :D (sorry for being so cringey)
Moves:
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Taunt/Light Screen/Shadow Claw/Swords Dance/Trick Room
- Protect
Ability: Disguise
Item: Mimikium Z
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

This is quite a bread-and-butter attacker set for attacker Mimi, but it's effective! Since Mimi doesn't outspeed common Scarf Tapu Lele anyway, it doesn't need to use Jolly. This is because it already outspeeds most versions of the Primals without the need for a +Spe nature, and doesn't outspeed much else with it other than +Spe Landorus-T. As this is an offense set, it seems only natural to include Protect in there. Play Rough and Mimi Z for LSF is quite obviously going to be in there, and Shadow Sneak is nice to pick off weakened opponents. Taunt is nice to handle slow supporters like Tapu Fini, Amoonguss, TR users, and Shedinja. Light Screen will always have a place in my heart as my favorite support move in the format, and compliments Mimi's base 105 SpD quite nicely. Shadow Claw is useful to hit Tapu Lele super-effectively under Psychic Terrain, although LSF should be able to handle that (though it does require you to burn the Z-Move to kill Lele). Swords Dance is great to boost your Attack on predicted Protects and switch-ins to put even more muscle into the Z-Move and Shadow Sneak (most notably OHKOing Incineroar). Trick Room is nice to allow partner Kyogre to get off massive boosted STAB Water attacks.

Just for an idea of how well Mimi can perform, here are some calcs:

252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 66-80 (30.9 - 37.5%) -- 80.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 116-138 (54.4 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solgaleo: 56-68 (22.9 - 27.8%) -- 76.5% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solgaleo: 98-116 (40.1 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 74-90 (50.6 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 132-156 (90.4 - 106.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 177-208 (121.2 - 142.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 160-189 (109.5 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Rayquaza: 278-330 (153.5 - 182.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 236 HP / 4 Def Incineroar: 102-120 (51 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 222-264 (130.5 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Salamence: 168-198 (98.8 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 290-344 (143.5 - 170.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 254-302 (125.7 - 149.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Fairy Aura Xerneas: 195-229 (96.5 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Primal Kyogre: 151-178 (72.9 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu in Psychic Terrain: 111-132 (84.7 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 82-97 (62.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 84-100 (64.1 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without its ability, it doesn't quite survive a ton. However, its offensive capabilities are worthwhile on the right team. In general, Mimi works nice on XernDon and RayOgre teams, the former for its brutal Fairy spam potential on both physical and special offense, and the latter for its ability to handle Tapu Koko, opposing RayOgre, and Yveltal very nicely. The Primals help to cover issues to opposing Steel-types and the other restricteds pair nicely with Mimi for piling on Fairy damage (with Xern) and great offensive type synergy (with Rayquaza).

Moves:
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Curse
- Protect
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 36 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def, 4 SpD, 212 Spe

This Mimikyu was really cool to watch on the Worlds stream this year! Kan used this set to reach 23rd this year, with the obligatory Play Rough, Shadow Sneak, and Protect, but opting for Curse in the last slot over any of my aforementioned filler options in the previous set. I won't say much about this since the EVs largely resemble the last set and because Kan wrote a killer article on the team for Trainer Tower, where he explains the team and provides much more detail on the team than I can provide here.

I will say two things, though! Firstly, he used this set on a XernDon team to compile Fairy damage with Xerneas and its Fairy Aura ability, allowing for more versatility in his playstyle. Secondly, Curse was valuable to mess with opposing supporters that otherwise gave Xerneas a very hard time setting up and doing damage. You can find the rest of his team and the link to his article down below!

Moves:
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Trick Room
- Protect
Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe

Again, I'm not going to discuss this set too much, as Raghav, Chuppa, and Jon have made a team report about this set on their RayOgre NAIC team (and their entire Ultra Series run with different RayOgre teams!), but there are some points I'd like to go over! One big point is that Mimikyu is a nice addition to RayOgre teams in order to have a better matchup against the mirror. The other big point I'd like to make are its improved defensive calcs with the HP investment:

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 129-153 (79.6 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mimikyu: 127-151 (78.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(I didn't make a spoiler tab because there's only two new calcs :P)

These extra defenses help Mimikyu a ton in getting Trick Room set up, which helps Kyogre get lots of Water-type damage. Being immune to Fake Out is also very helpful to making sure Trick Room gets up. If you want to see more, please check out the Victory Road article below!

Sample Teams

We have sample teams finally!!! Here are the two teams I mentioned earlier, their articles, and the people who piloted them!

:sm/xerneas: :sm/groudon-primal: :sm/salamence-mega: :sm/tapu fini: :sm/incineroar: :sm/mimikyu:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 164 HP / 20 Def / 100 SpA / 28 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 244 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 84 HP / 4 Atk / 44 SpA / 252 SpD / 124 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Tailwind
- Protect

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Snarl
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Haze
- Heal Pulse
- Light Screen

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Curse
- Protect

Team Report: https://www.trainertower.com/sneaking-through-the-shadows-23rd-place-worlds-report/
Poképaste URL: https://pokepast.es/c03469986d4c77f7

:sm/rayquaza-mega: :sm/kyogre-primal: :sm/incineroar: :sm/tapu koko: :sm/metagross-mega: :sm/mimikyu:

Rayquaza-Mega @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Delta Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 244 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 124 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 108 SpD / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 20 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Crunch

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness
- Electroweb
- Sky Drop

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Team Report: https://victoryroadvgc.com/2019/10/18/top4-naic-report/
Poképaste URL: https://pokepast.es/edfc624e96d7e01f
Twitters:
Raghav Malaviya - @MudhimanVGC
Chuppa Cross - @ChuppaVGC
Jon Evans - @EzraelVGC

Bad Matchups
So being a Fairy-type gives it many of the same weaknesses as Xerneas. Steel hits it super-effectively and while Poison doesn't, Mimi lacks powerful ways to hit them, as LSF isn't very effective. Crobat and Venusaur don't really fear it too much for this reason. While the Ghost typing give it a Fake Out immunity, it also has the downside of being weak to Moongeist Beam from Lunala and Dawn-Wings Necrozma. Its most common Ghost attack, Shadow Sneak, also doesn't work under Psychic Terrain so while Tapu Lele is weak to Ghost, Mimi can't exploit that weakness as well. It's also a sitting duck against opposing Groudon, as it lacks a strong way to hit back. In general, if its Z-Move gets used up, it becomes harder for Mimi to make much of a dent in opponents. Opposing Intimidate also makes positioning the Z-Move tricky too sometimes.

Conclusion
This has article has honestly been one of my favorites to write! I'm also super happy I was able to finally use some sample teams in this article! Even though the sample set descriptions were a bit short, I hope you give the team reports a look as well because they explore Mimikyu on their respective teams much better than I can. Thanks so much to Alex (Twitter - @AlexTheRNGLord), Calvin (calvonix ), UberDunga (Twitter - @UberDunga), and Aldrich (AldrichYan ) for your help referring me to these articles and Mimi's common moves!

If you enjoyed this article, please leave a like and follow my Smogon account to get notified every time I upload! Tell me what you think about Mimikyu in VGC in the comments below and if I left out any sample sets/teams! Finally, for the last week of October articles, vote on which of these Spooky Pokémon you want me to write about in the poll!

1. Salazzle
2. Aerodactyl
3. Aegislash
4. Murkrow

That's all I have for now, see you guys next week! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)