VGC Apprentice Program - Round One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the first VGC round of Battling 101. This round will run from the time pairings go up until September 6th. We have some of the best tutors VGC has to offer, so if you're looking to learn the ins and outs of doubles, sign up now!

Use the following form to sign up.

Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
Division: (Masters: born 1997 or earlier or Seniors: born 1998 or later)
Tell us a little about yourself:
It should look something like this when completed:

Username: Solace
Pokemon Online username: Solace
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 4 PM - 10 PM
Division: Masters
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a junior in high school and I love Pokemon!
Please keep in mind you must have access to Pokemon Online in order to participate. It's the most efficient way to practice when being tutored!

Username: speriend
Pokemon Online Username: speriend
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST; until the 4th of September, usually anytime from noon to 8 PM or so.
Division: Masters (I think...I was born in 1997).
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a tad bit eccentric, and have interests in Bollywood, Pokemon (duh), the original Beyblade anime, and so on and so forth. The only VGC event I went to was the Regional Video Game Championships in Newark, New Jersey, in 2011. I won one battle, then lost in the next one. D: I am in Toronto now, though, in case that somehow affects anything. :P

Username: hoult66
Pokemon Online Username: hoult66
European Central Time 9-10:45PM
Tell us a little about yourself: I am 49 years old, love Pokemon and am living in Italy. My first game was Pearl. I first played VCG in 2011 losing due to a stupid error in the first round. I am currently building my next team for the world cup which is in its early stages. I think the VCG tutoring would help me because I am still new to competitive battling and have never won a match online.

Username: JefZ
Pokemon Online Username: JefZ
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-6. US central time. Avail Thurs-Mon. 8am to noon
Tell us a little about yourself:in school to become a teacher. I love pokemon and want to improve my competitive play.

Username: xJaiYT
Division: (Masters)
Pokemon Online Username: Jai
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: (GMT +1) 2pm-2am (EVERYDAY!)
Tell us a little about yourself: I’m a 17 year old British-Indian. I played competitively during 4th gen. I enjoy playing football! and I’m currently studying Graphic Design at college. :)

I always lose at VGC. 3 years in a row.. I've been out round 2. D:

Username: Max057
Division: (Seniors or Masters) Seniors
Pokemon Online Username: I use Pokemon Showdown, username Max057. I am willing to download Pokemon Online if it is required though.
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, Anytime after 6:00 PM on most days.
Tell us a little about yourself: I am new to competitive play and I am interested in competing at Regionals. I would love to be tutored!

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Username: MCBarrett
Pokemon Online username: MCBarrett
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:Eastern Standard Time 7-11 pm
Tell us a little about yourself: i've been playing standard ou for about a year now and me and some of my friends wanted to try out vgc's since we have a regional pretty close to us this year and i'm just looking for help getting started

Username: Thadenvy
Pokemon Online username: Thadenvy
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Central Time Zone, and usually any time after six pm and before ten pm.
Tell us a little about yourself: I like Pokemon, and I've been eager to learn more and actually make something of myself in the VGC this season. I live in Houston and plan on going to its VGC, which is the same VGC that legends like Alaka and Ryuzaki go to, so I'd like to learn a little bit more so I can at least be a formidable opponent to whoever they face. I also have a dislike of horses. They creep me out. I don't mind riding them, but I still don't like them as an animal. Now, I love ponyta and I'm alright with rapidash, mostly because there aren't many pokemon that I dislike. My favorite pokemon is either Metagross, Lucario, Rayquaza, or Sceptile. My favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate. When I went to the Dallas VGC in 2010 and 2011 I didn't fare so well, so I'm hoping this tutoring will help me succeed for the first time ever! I also look forward to working close with some of the wonderful tutors Smogon has to offer!

EDIT: I'm a freshman in High School

Username: bluejay8295
Pokemon Online Username: bluejay8295
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 6 PM - 10 PM Weekdays
Division: Masters (recent Senior)
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a upcoming sophomore in highschool, I live in NYC, and I play Pokemon on my spare time and did the VGC and got Top 32 in Regionals this year. But I want to do way better. Music and friends is a big part of my life. See you guys at Regional's in Philadelphia in October!

Username eshi
Age 23
Timezone availability GMT-6 any day after 5
Division masters
Pokemon online user name eshi
About me love pokemon want to get better

Username: iPenguin
Division: (Seniors or Masters) Masters
Pokemon Online Username: Shayyvon
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST; Weekdays 11am-5pm (until Sept. 4th)
Tell us a little about yourself: I just started playing a few months ago Im pretty decent if you ask me lol

Username: Stijn
Pokemon Online username: Stijn
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1, in GMT+1 all the weekends, and friday 7 pm-21 pm
Division: Senior
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a thirteen year old pokemon freak who lives in the netherlands, and got smashed in the first round in the nationals of germany. There are plans to do a year highschool year for me in 2014/2015.

VGC Sign Up

Username: BeastLink
Pokemon Online Username: BeastLink

Timezone and usual hours of availability: Eastern Standard Time 6pm-12pm weekdays, i'm always available on skype on weekends, or via phone.

I just want to compete. I've been out of the game for a while, and B/W2 is coming out, and i want to play competitive. im already used to the competitve field because i play YuGiOh TCG competitively, and i just picked up the Pokemon TCG as well. When i play a game, i don't like to waste time just having "fun". i play to win and compete. to me, losing or winning isn't everything exactly, as long as i can play the game, and be good, perhaps good enough to go to like nationals or even worlds. i just want to be known for being a good and competitive player. I would deeply appreciate the help from a veteran so i can get into the game better. i'm not cocky or a jerk, i just like to have fun by having great matches. Thank you in advance.

Username:Redspyda
Pokemon Online username:Redspyda
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:EST after 8pm
Division:Masters

Tell us a little about yourself: I have been playing pokemon since '96. I have been competitively playing pokemon since 2005. I been to a tournament at the Pokemon center NYC(now known as Nintendo World), NYC VGC '08(lost in the 2nd round) Philly VGC '09(didnt get in due to lottery) and Newark VGC '11 (lost top 32). Im hoping the tutoring can help me with issues that I come across so I can perform better.

Heres the moment Ive been waiting for!!! Super excited to move towards the next step in my pokemon battling career! Was told sign ups started today, about a week ago, and I've been waiting ever since for this thread to come up! :D

Username: AllDayKK FB - http://facebook.com/christian.p.moss
Pokemon Online username: AllDayKK
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 7pm-12am pacific time mon-fri
Tell us a little about yourself: My real name is Christian. I grew up as a small child buying Pokemon Red version in stores right when it got released. I remember it like yesterday. Then I played gen 2 and gen 3 as well. After that I pretty much moved on from pokemon and just went on to other things. Completed high school, started my own corporation and businesses, and got life moving. Also, I could never justify buying and owning a DS system. To me personally, DS is a system with mediocre design (no second analogue stick, say what you will or try and defend it as you may, there is NO EXCUSE for not including this. Even neo geo pocket color handheld back in 1999 or whenever had dual analog sticks!) plus the only game series that has ever looked appealing to me on it was pokemon.
A short while ago, I decided to give pokemon another chance when I discovered I could get the roms on my computer. I downloaded and completed white version, which just reinvigorated my love for the franchise. In addition, my friendly matches of pokemon stadium 2 with my closest friend sparked an interest in competitve battling. Since stadium is fun, but completely unbalanced and pretty much boils down to using mud slap until they miss every turn, it made me look into the competitve world of pokemon I knew must be out there.

So here I am today. Found smogon about a week ago and since then ive read almost all the articles, read up on tons of different tiers, pokemon move sets, and combinations, and have already started to play vgc style double battles on pokemon online.

I am not by any means a novice but I think I would be lying or greatly mistaken if I said I am an expert, as I still seem to get beat mercilessly when battling people who have ranked in tournaments.

If i can get some serious tutoring I am looking forward to finally buying my first DS system JUST FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of getting black2 or white2 the day its released. The roms were fun, but with pokemon more than any other game, you reaaaalllyyyy miss out from not having the legit copy with wifi capabilities, I could really only beat story mode and a few extras and that was it. So getting black or white 2 on the system will be a breath of fresh air.

Looking forward to meeting a lot of you and making some new good friends. If someone who has ranked high in sanctioned tournaments would be willing to coach/train/tutor me, I would be ecstatic and beyond thankful.

My goal is to compete in the upcoming regionals and the hopefully world championship if I place, which I fully believe I am capable of doing. Pokemon is something I love to death and have a great passion for, and I could not care less what some people might think.

"Oh, you don't like pokemon? There's the door, bitch." Thats my policy ;)

Username: Asuya.
Pokemon Online Username: Asuya
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +1 (4 PM - 2 AM everyday)
Tell us a little about yourself: I play competitive pokemon since 2009. I like to use gimmick team.

Welcome to the first VGC round of Battling 101. This round will run from the time pairings go up until September 6th. We have some of the best tutors VGC has to offer, so if you're looking to learn the ins and outs of doubles, sign up now!

Use the following form to sign up.

It should look something like this when completed:

Please keep in mind you must have access to Pokemon Online in order to participate. It's the most efficient way to practice when being tutored!

When will the pairings be ready? Also, do I need to use Pokemon Online? I used Showdown because in the simulators section of the website, it says that Smogon will be ending it's support soon.

When will the pairings be ready? Also, do I need to use Pokemon Online? I used Showdown because in the simulators section of the website, it says that Smogon will be ending it's support soon.
I'd think PO needs to be used, since VGC is doubles, and PS! doesn't support doubles yet.

Username: GenCross
Pokemon Online username: GenCross
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST 8-10 except Thursdays, when I can only do 8:45-10
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a Junior in high school. I've been playing pokemon since FireRed, but only got into competitive around when BW came out. OU is the only metagame that I've played, but VGC looks like a great way to play against some really talented people!

Username: Nightwalkr
Pokemon Online username: Nightwalkr
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (Available on weekends and after 7:00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday ; after 4:00 pm on Wednesday. Unavailable Friday due to games.)
Division: (Masters: born 1997 or earlier or Seniors: born 1998 or later) Masters
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a junior in High School, and I'm in the Marching Band (I play Baritone), and Art Club. I'm rather timid, but I'm working on trying to fix that. I competed in VGC 2012 and got a 5-3 W/L record. I also ranked 84th place in the Spring Friendly (43 wins and 5 losses). I'd like to improve my VGC skills. I'm mostly familiar with the metagame, but I'm abysmal when it comes to teamplanning.
Unfortunately my schedule isn't too flexible, so working around it may be difficult. Also I'm not sure how basic level this is, but I'd appreciate knowing beforehand so I don't waste anyone's time (If I get chosen, that is).

Username: PokeKid5
Pokemon Online username: PokeKid5
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 6:00 PM EDT any day
Tell us a little about yourself: I go to George Mason University. I love Pokemon.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Username: Expert Evan
Pokemon Online username: Expert Evan
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 7 PM - 10 PM
Tell us a little about yourself: father and son involved with the pokemon games since 1999, first attended JAA in 2006, almost qualified for Worlds in 2008, little luck since then.

Username: BloodBerry
Pokemon Online username: ShadowSheikah
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 4pm - 10 pm Friday-Tuesday. Anytime EST Wednesday and Thursday
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm 22 years old and have been a fan of Pokemon since I was 4. I love watching people play Pokemon competitively and I would love to be tutored and get used to the competitive scene. I would also like to take part in the next VGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)