Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat
- Protect

Help me out. I am fairly new to this generation's doubles and am open to any suggestions, critiques, or advice. Thanks!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sup fren, nice to have another cart battler here. Just throwing this out there, VGC Battle Spot and Smog Doubles are two very different metagames (outside of the double battle aspect), VGC / Battlespot is done at level 50 and Smog is at 100, which impacts how the EV spreads work, as well as the threat list. You said in your title its for VGC / Battlespot (which are also quite different), but the tag is for ORAS Doubles. No one can really give in-depth advice until they know which format it's for.

As for the team, I can only give the most basic suggestions, since again I'm not sure what format it's for. Also RMTs are supposed to have at least 3 lines of description per mon. I'd also recommend you to B101 for doubles to get better at the tier.
Umbreon: I love Umbreon, but it's not suited for doubles play. Doubles is a meta that is far more fast paced, and the role of stall is translated into support, either through redirection, speed control, the occasional cleric, or Helping Hand. The best I can give you is that if you want to use Umbreon, a set of Foul Play, Helping Hand, Heal Bell / Taunt, and Protect would be the way to go. I would advice you to go with more offensive oriented Dark types though, like Tyranitar, Bisharp, Weavile and Hydreigon would be your best options for Battlespot / VGC legal options, and you could throw Darkrai in there for Smog Dubs.

Charizard: A bulkier set with Dragon Dance > Earthquake / Protect is far more common, though the overall EV spread differs based on the tier. A set of 40 HP / 208 ATK / 32 Def / 228 Spe Adamant is the most common Smog Dubs spread, so I would recommend that to you. As for VGC, 92 HP / 174 Atk / 244 Spe Adamant is the most common, and should be considered. Both of these sets use Dragon Dance, Flare Blitze, Dragon Claw, Protect, though Substitute / Roost is not unheard of.

Gengar: Non-Mega Gengar is almost unheard of in doubles formats, as the legality of things such as Kangaskhan, Darkrai, and Aegislash make it pitifully weak, and a liability almost always. I know some VGC players from Japan use a Trick Room Gengar set, but that's a play style I'm not familiar with, so I can't comment on it. I would recommend switching Gengar to bulkier, more doubles suited ghosts such as Chandelure, maybe use a Mega Gengar as a secondary Mega for VGC / Battlespot. Also, if you do want to stick with Gengar, switching to a Focus Sash set with Will o Wisp, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Protect, is far better than a Scarf Set, since quite a few common mons can take any hit from Gengar with ease and ohko back.

Metagross: Not much to change, not too familiar with Metagross, though non-mega Metagross is quite mediocre in all doubles styles, but can be used to some degree with an Assault Vest set that has Ice Punch > Protect.

Gyarados: 252 HP / 252 SpD is wasting EV's with pointless bulk, since any and all electric attacks will 2HKO through Wacan. An EV spread of 180 HP / 204 Atk / 72 Def / 52 Spe Adamant Nature will give you much more utility. Moveset looks good.

Hitmontop: Wide Guard > Protect. You could tinker with the EV's, but the current ones aren't bad.

Good luck with the team friend n_n7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)